View Poll Results: Who will join the alliance to take down Kaido?

Voters
292. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eustass Kid

225 77.05%
  • Basil Hawkins

118 40.41%
  • X Drake

139 47.60%
  • Scratchmen Apoo

69 23.63%
  • Gekko Moriah

83 28.42%
  • ???

46 15.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1387

Thread: Official Wano Thread

Default Re: Official Wano Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    1 of the few chunks of Kaido characterization, pre Onigashima, is when he tells Oden that he killed Higurashi. That doesn't happen with Kaido winning fair and square. Trading that off, so he looks more untouchable for power scalers? Nope
    This. !00 time this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Disagree about Oden vs. Kaido. Oden losing due to a cheat keeps the sense of injustice strong. Kaido winning could give some sense of despair, but not the drive to avenge Oden.
    The sense of injustice could be kept with the Orochi stuff. No need to dehype Kaido like that. Oden didn't deserve that portrayal.

Agree about the scabbards getting up. They should have stayed down.
    Or at least have Kaido kill most of them. Kaido could have killed Ashura, Kawamatsu, Izo, Inu or Neko and deal with Kinemon the same way he dealt with him in the previous chapter. Instead everyone got back like nothing happened.

I'm not sure what to think of Yamato. There's still too much to be told about him before I can judge what would be "best". But I do feel Yamato's late introduction was really weird.
    Trying to be Oden is lame. Oda doesn't understand that.

I think the problem with Hyogoro dying is that it would make Chopper fail, but I do agree that Hyogoro got an upgrade and then a get-out-of-jail-free card, doubly reducing the stakes.
    Chopper would only fail in saving Hyogoro not the rest. Would make his accomplishment bittersweet. Instead we got that annoying face like we're disneyland.

Arc tremendously lacks a sense of danger ebcause Oda constantly makes the protagonists survive and get back up like nothing happened. This has tremendously ruined the potential this arc has. And it's made 2 Yonko not look good exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Arc tremendously lacks a sense of danger ebcause Oda constantly makes the protagonists survive and get back up like nothing happened. This has tremendously ruined the potential this arc has. And it's made 2 Yonko not look good exactly
    The arc does lack a sense a danger. The heroes are getting too many advantages and the enemies feel cornered.

But I'm not sure, at this point, if Oda is mishandling the arc or if he's trying to suddenly twist that sense of security into despair. He has done it many times over the years, like when Ace is freed in the war, only to die in the very next chapter, or when Luffy is owning Doflamingo only to lose Gear 4th and become helpless. I get the feeling that this arc is very very far from its conclusion. Oda is not perfect, but he loves to do twists, I refuse to believe he does not know what he's doing this time.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

The arc does lack a sense a danger. The heroes are getting too many advantages and the enemies feel cornered.

But I'm not sure, at this point, if Oda is mishandling the arc or if he's trying to suddenly twist that sense of security into despair. He has done it many times over the years, like when Ace is freed in the war, only to die in the very next chapter, or when Luffy is owning Doflamingo only to lose Gear 4th and become helpless. I get the feeling that this arc is very very far from its conclusion. Oda is not perfect, but he loves to do twists, I refuse to believe he does not know what he's doing this time.
    Didn't Oda do that twist with Luffy falling ? In the net chapter though, what we got was Luffy speaking to Momo with telepathy and Momo announcing it to everyone. No despair anymore, instead they got excited

I don't know anymore. I'm disappointed that this seems like an easy win. Straw Hats will win and there won't be any major loss. Against 2 freaking Yonko

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Boy View Post
    Didn't Oda do that twist with Luffy falling ? In the net chapter though, what we got was Luffy speaking to Momo with telepathy and Momo announcing it to everyone. No despair anymore, instead they got excited

I don't know anymore. I'm disappointed that this seems like an easy win. Straw Hats will win and there won't be any major loss. Against 2 freaking Yonko
    I recommend patience here. The structure of this arc is very strange, we are either in a looooooong setup for the big climax, or there is no climax and we will get a lame arc. I prefer to consider the first option, since this arc does not seem anywhere near completion.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Re:Tension
    • We saw in the two chapters before this that without Luffy & Yamato to deal with Kaido, and without Kid & Law to deal with Big Mom, the alliance would stand no chance. It's the same deal as with Rob Lucci on Enies Lobby.
    • Three of the Scabbards, as well as Kanjuro, are down for the count already. While it's understandable to not believe they're dead given Oda's track record, you also can't make the case that they're obviously alive and nothing happened to them.
    • The fights with the All-Stars and Tobiroppo, save for Ulti and Page One, have yet to move past the setup stage. Try not to mistake story inertia as an indicator of these guys being nonfactors. And you can't say that Nami and Usopp weren't pushed to the brink vs. Ulti and P1.
    • The misc. samurai on the Live Floor have been established as disadvantaged to the misc. Beasts Pirates since the beginning. First they had struggles getting started and had to be helped out by the Straw Hats, then they got caught up in Queen's Ice Oni, and then last chapter we had Perospero and Queen doing a number on them before Sanji arrived. And simply put, showing explicit carnage and piles of corpses is not Oda's MO. We didn't get that in Alabasta, we didn't get that in Enies Lobby, we didn't get that in Marineford. "But it's against two Yonko!" Well, not really, it's against their foot soldiers. We saw with Kin'emon and Kaido last chapter that if a Yonko is actually involved, then yeah, shit gets pretty gory.
    I honestly think the events of the last two chapters were MUCH more tense than the majority of the affairs in Alabasta, Enies Lobby, or Marineford. The only events off the top of my head that inspired a more tense reaction were the Alabasta bomb, Luffy being unable to get up during the Buster Call, and Luffy's breakdown after Ace's death. Can you guess what those three events have in common? Answer: they came at or near the climax of their respective arcs. And Wano's climax is still a ways away, despite what a certain user may say about the protagonists having a good moment surely meaning that the end of the arc is near.

And I guess you could compare this unfavorably with hardcore seinen battles with lots of gore and death, but such an effort is apples to oranges. Mark my words, by the end of it this will ​be the bloodiest battle we've seen in One Piece up to this point.

Spoiler:

I recommend patience here. The structure of this arc is very strange, we are either in a looooooong setup for the big climax, or there is no climax and we will get a lame arc. I prefer to consider the first option, since this arc does not seem anywhere near completion.
    There may or may not be a quick and satisfying conclusion.

What do yoiu guys think of this hypothesis, Wano being the ancient kingdom? https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co...nd_of_wano_is/
    #Vergoshotfirst #Doflaisapunk

Quote Originally Posted by ea77 View Post
    What do yoiu guys think of this hypothesis, Wano being the ancient kingdom? https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co...nd_of_wano_is/
    A huge disappointment at the very least.

Top 10 Onigashima Raid moments 978-present

10 Chopper: I'm Not A Racoon Dog!!! (1007)
    9 Flying Six Gathering (978)
    8 Yamato's Face Reveal (984)
    7 Marco Appears (981)
    6 Nami: Luffy Will Never Stop... Until He's King Of The Pirates (995)
    5 Straw Hats Assemble (989)
    4 Denjiro: Do You Know Much About Wano's History, Sasaki? (982)
    3 Scabbards: Sunacchi!!!! (986)
    2 The Best Character In The Series Attacks Kaido With His Asura Technique (1010)
    1 Sanji Screams For Robin's Help (1005)

I almost forgot how jacked Denjiro's back is

I would have Kaido cutting Orochi's head off as an honorable mention. Not because i'm the President of the Orochi Fan Club, but due to the wholesomeness of King offering up his sword for Kaido to execute. I like that.

We've been in Wano for 3 years now. That's by far the longest period of serialization for any arc I think, and it's not even over yet.

The biggest weakness of Wano is the Beast Pirates themselves. For me its easily the most boring and uninspired crew in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by DollarScholar View Post
    The biggest weakness of Wano is the Beast Pirates themselves. For me its easily the most boring and uninspired crew in the series.
    Dunno, I find them more interesting than the entire crews of Crocodile and Doflamingo, with characters like Ulti sticking out to me for example.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Dunno, I find them more interesting than the entire crews of Crocodile and Doflamingo, with characters like Ulti sticking out to me for example.
    Strongly disagree on this one. Alabasta and Dressrosa had some of the most memorable characters in the entire manga such as Bon Kurei, Galdino and Senior Pink. There is just nobody in the Beast Pirates on that level.
    The yonko commanders Queen, King and Jack all suck compared to Linlin family/Whitebeard counterparts
    Last edited by DollarScholar; July 7th, 2021 at 01:55 PM.

Strongly disagree on this one. Alabasta and Dressrosa had some of the most memorable characters in the entire manga such as Bon Kurei, Bentham and Senior Pink. There is just nobody in the Beast Pirates on that level.
    The yonko commanders Queen, King and Jack all suck compared to Linlin family/Whitebeard counterparts
    Big Mom Pirates>Beast Pirates>Whitebeard Pirates for me. Whitebeard's group have cool abilities, but none of them are super interesting even after being focuses in Marineford and Oden's background. That is unless we count Oden and Whitebeard themselves. The Beast pirates are pretty interesting and that's without being fully fleshed out yet. All of the Tobiroppo are cool besides Sasaki (for now) with Ulti, Black Maria, and Whos Who being the highlights. King is kind of a non-entity at this point, but I'm expecting that he'll be pretty interesting given how much is still left to mystery. Queen is a force of nature and has been wildly entertaining since his role in Udon. Jack may have been beaten by Neko and Inu, but he's been much more interesting than Smoothie, Pica, or Vista/Jouzu.

Big Mom pirates are still GOAT, but that's mostly because of the extras and how great Katakuri is. I actually enjoy the gifters, but they aren't as great as Big Mom's giant family and the variety of Devil Fruits and fighting styles they have. I'd easily take them over Whitebeards extras (guys with swords and guns) and even his allied pirates who were also mostly guys and girls with swords and guns. If the potential of King, the Numbers, and Sasaki is met then they'll end up being really awesome. I can see why anyone would put Baroque's Work above them, but I don't see the argument for Doflamingo's pirate crew. Senor Pink is the only real standout among them.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Big Mom Pirates>Beast Pirates>Whitebeard Pirates for me. Whitebeard's group have cool abilities, but none of them are super interesting even after being focuses in Marineford and Oden's background. That is unless we count Oden and Whitebeard themselves. The Beast pirates are pretty interesting and that's without being fully fleshed out yet. All of the Tobiroppo are cool besides Sasaki (for now) with Ulti, Black Maria, and Whos Who being the highlights. King is kind of a non-entity at this point, but I'm expecting that he'll be pretty interesting given how much is still left to mystery. Queen is a force of nature and has been wildly entertaining since his role in Udon. Jack may have been beaten by Neko and Inu, but he's been much more interesting than Smoothie, Pica, or Vista/Jouzu.

Big Mom pirates are still GOAT, but that's mostly because of the extras and how great Katakuri is. I actually enjoy the gifters, but they aren't as great as Big Mom's giant family and the variety of Devil Fruits and fighting styles they have. I'd easily take them over Whitebeards extras (guys with swords and guns) and even his allied pirates who were also mostly guys and girls with swords and guns. If the potential of King, the Numbers, and Sasaki is met then they'll end up being really awesome. I can see why anyone would put Baroque's Work above them, but I don't see the argument for Doflamingo's pirate crew. Senor Pink is the only real standout among them.
    I admit i would probably rate the Beast Pirates higher if their powers and fighting styles were more varied. Queens cyborg-Zoan is pretty interesting, but a whole crew full of Zoans with most of them being dinosaurs? Bland.
    As for WB pirates I think one would have to have a really low opinion of Ace to rate them below Beast Pirates

I admit i would probably rate the Beast Pirates higher if their powers and fighting styles were more varied. Queens cyborg-Zoan is pretty interesting, but a whole crew full of Zoans with most of them being dinosaurs? Bland.
    As for WB pirates I think one would have to have a really low opinion of Ace to rate them below Beast Pirates
    I've never thought Ace was that interesting. I don't hate the character, but he doesn't do much for me either, which is how I feel about all of the Whitebeard Pirates besides Whitebeard, Oden, Inuarushi, and Nekomamushi. I don't really count the 3 that aren't Whitebeard and I think Kaido is at least as interesting as Whitebeard. I don't think I'm alone in not being all that impressed with Ace on this forum either. He's like a typical shonen protagonist without the benefit of being the protagonist.

I also think Oda did a pretty great job of making them all dino's or prehistoric, but mixing up their fighting styles. Whos Who as a Saber Tooth Tiger with rokushiki techniques is really cool and I think Oda delivered in the fight against Jinbe. Black Maria is a dark courtesan with a sick Yakuza style tattoo on her back that can turn at least half of her body into a giant prehistoric spider. Ulti has an ultra-hard head and can launch around almost Bellamy style. You've already mentioned Queen, but I expect that King's fighting style will be really interesting as a flying, flaming, and fencing warden. I'll certainly concede that Sasaki, Page One, and Drake aren't as interesting as the others, but I don't think they're less interesting than the lower members of Whitebeard's pirates either.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

I'd like to specifically dedicate some OP Magazine to Whitebeard's pirates. I mean, yeah Marco, Jozu, Ace, Vista and Izo got a spotlight (even if the latter only six arcs later), but what about Thatch? We don't even know how (or even IF) he fights. Blamenco and Rakuyo seem funny guys, but why are there Top Commanders? Haruta, Namur, Speed Jill and Blenheim barely had screentime. Atomos challenged Doflamingo but with what strenght on his side? Does Curiel have a son with Fighting Music style? Can Kingdew summon the power of Grayskull?

Not talking about the point the ally captain may be former commanders. Doma, Squard, McGuy, Decalvan and Whitebay have even been named in-story, which some commanders haven't, so they should've some noteworthy abilities.

It's sad we'll probably have proper name and abilities of all Yonko top commanders, but not the former strongest man's ones.
    Last edited by rayleigh92; July 8th, 2021 at 02:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information