+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New One Piece Databook on sale 4th September

Default Re: New One Piece Databook on sale 4th September

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Japanese YouTubers and One Piece fans congratulate TAKASHI for his role as an official One Piece YouTuber in promoting the fanbook:

How the hell do you make those faces Greg? I can't do that with my eyes without serious strain.

Quote Originally Posted by redon View Post
    New information about "Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary".

Vivre Card is not a Databook like Red, Blue, Yellow, Green... Vivre Card is a folder (20,8 cm x 15,0 cm) with card files, arround 400 card files.

In the front cover we can see characters like Luffy, Jinbe, Shanks, Enel, Gaimon, Carue (with brown feathers lol) and even Gaimon.

Vivre Card will be on sale 4th September for 1,200.
    That does explain the "never ending" part since they can just release new cards as an arc wraps up.

However I'm having a few reservations about this format. First with the card format, I like the book format since every thing is one volume as opposed to multiple cards that you have to take really good care of (especially if your purchase it internationally). Second, some might see a market in stockpiling extra volumes to sell replacements in case cards get damaged or lost for high prices (similar to Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh cards). If fans end up getting frustrated with this type format they might start emailing their complaints to Oda through his SBS (even though he's not responsible for this books creation).

Hopefully I'm wrong and the format does work out (considering the staff has been working 10 year on this), but I get the feeling they might back track their comment about this being the final databook, and considering how big One Piece is (in terms of how popular it is) they might still release another type book (possibly similar to the Dragon Ball Daizenshuu books) after the series comes to an end.
    Last edited by Moriah; July 11th, 2018 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EMUNOPLA View Post
    Nothing is showing up when I click the link (I had to go to your home page to see it). But based on the picture it appears that it will be like the 90's DC and Marvel handbooks, where you're given a binder and you place loose leaf sheets (or in this case cards) in them.

Now I am interested in this new format, considering the binder itself is just a bit bigger than previous databooks, and the fact that your given cards (which hopefully will be made with better material and therefore more durable than regular paper for the binder's rings). It would also appear to be a more convenient format going forward considering that One Piece currently has no end date in sight. Although hopefully they might follow Marvel's example and reprint them as paperback books (like Marvel did for their 90's Master Edition Handbooks).

However there are a few concerns. First is how will they release updates for the book, the first book comes with 400 cards but how will future releases be handled? Hopefully they won't be limited to WSJ magazine or volume releases (which would probably be infuriating to foreign buyers). Second I get the feeling that the Straw Hats, their current travel companions, and the main antagonist of the various arcs with have individual cards, but what about characters connected to the travel companions (such as any potential Momosuke allies during the Wano arc) or characters that under the antagonist's command (such as the Charlotte Family or Big Mom Pirates) how will they cover all of them on one card if they decide not to give them separate cards?

Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar

Cover

HQ scan.

I'm confused, so this isn't a databook or is it a databook but in the form of card files?

even though he's not responsible for this books creation
    He absolutely is :)

This format was his idea that he's wanted to do for 10 years.

He absolutely is :)

This format was his idea that he's wanted to do for 10 years.
    Sorry I went back re-read the part where he was involved, after I posted this.

I did translate some of the pictures text mainly the sentence over the release date and the sentences with stars in front of them (apologies if I got anything wrong I'm just an amateur):

The one over the release date:

Drawing binder + 32 sheet starter set.

The sentences with the stars in front of them:
    • Expansion card packs released every month!!
    • Event benefits and magazine supplements as well!?
    • Over 400 characters will appear in 1 year!!
    • Check future WJ and SNS for further news!!
    Last edited by Moriah; July 11th, 2018 at 09:19 PM.

Wow! I actually really want this, but I’m having doubts about this being localised in French like the rest of the Databooks.

I'm excited that this is coming out so soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

I'm kind of worried, especially with the "expansion card packs released every month!!" are they going to be random packs and you might end up with copies of the same character or having to buy multiple if one character is rare to get. Also the fact that some can only be gotten by purchasing issues through the magazine editions of Shonen Jump or through events. Making it kind of difficult for foreign collectors, especially the event and magazine only ones which could be sold for higher prices on ebay or proxy buying sites.

Since it says that it will have information from all the past post timeskip arcs including the Whole Cake Island arc, I do hope that means we will get the entire Charlotte Family list revealed when this comes out on September 4th.

So, I like the idea. But there's a huge BUT. This will never be completely localised, as they already talk about events and magazine exclusives. Also, I do prefer a one book databook.
    Prediction. Laffitte's ability: Tori Tori Fruit, Model Albatross, which brings bad luck;

I'm working on my bad English, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    So, I like the idea. But there's a huge BUT. This will never be completely localised, as they already talk about events and magazine exclusives. Also, I do prefer a one book databook.
    I get the feeling characters that appear in the manga (and novels that are in canon like the Ace one) will be part of the expansion packs, the cards that are part of events and magazine exclusives might likely center around characters that appear in movies that Oda is involved with. It's also possible these cards might be re-released in future expansion packs.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWitch View Post
    Since it says that it will have information from all the past post timeskip arcs including the Whole Cake Island arc, I do hope that means we will get the entire Charlotte Family list revealed when this comes out on September 4th.
    Considering that the binder will come with 32 starter cards that might not cover all of the New World arcs, depending on the content that might only cover Fishman Island and possibly Punk Hazard initially Dressrosa, Zou, and Whole Cake Island might be expansion packs.
    Last edited by Moriah; July 12th, 2018 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
    Considering that the binder will come with 32 starter cards that might not cover all of the New World arcs, depending on the content that might only cover Fishman Island and possibly Punk Hazard initially Dressrosa, Zou, and Whole Cake Island might be expansion packs.
    Really? This databook which was the perfect opportunity to finally reveal the entire Charlotte Family all at once on September 4th, but now you're saying that might not even happen. I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, eh so far I'm not liking these whole card files that they're doing.

This sounds like something that'll eventually be compiled into a complete set of cards. I'd hope so at least, anyways.

Especially for the sake of collectors. Can you imagine having to deal with scalpers for the cards that were bundled in the magazine, and never seen again?

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

This new format doesn't convince me

I hope monthly expansion packs won't be random packs, and I hope too there won't be exclusive cards in events like Jump Festa becouse scalpers will make a fortune...

I hope there will be more classic Databooks in the future like Red, Blue, Yellow or Green

*reads concerns*

Yup, all valid ones to be certain, that said I'm sure you'll all be pleasantly surprised/perfectly fine with the final outcome.

Re: special unique cards, it's not like y'all aren't going to scan 'em and make them available for printout anyway. If anything it makes it easier for you.

*reads concerns*

Yup, all valid ones to be certain, that said I'm sure you'll all be pleasantly surprised/perfectly fine with the final outcome.

Re: special unique cards, it's not like y'all aren't going to scan 'em and make them available for printout anyway. If anything it makes it easier for you.
    Hey Greg, with the new Databook get we even Strenght cards? If we get how they will look like?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information