+ Reply to Thread
Page 138 of 150 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 2987

Thread: Vivre Card: One Piece Visual Dictionary

Default Re: Vivre Card: One Piece Visual Dictionary

I just don't agree Yamato is intended at all to make a statement on gender. She's just a woman playing the role of a man. I'm not trying to make any broader statement and I really think it's beyond the scope of anything Oda's going for here. I just don't think it's any deeper than that. There's no master plan to boil the frog slowly by the marketing team. They're grouping Yamato with female characters because there just isn't any intention to do otherwise.

It just never struck me as being a big deal. It really hasn't factored into how I even perceive Yamato. The only reason I even address it is because it seems to carry implications to refer to Yamato in a certain way among portions of the fanbase. I feel like this aspect of Yamato's character has largely been disproportionately evaluated by the fanbase beyond anything directly evidenced in the text. And I don't ascribe that to any malicious intent.
    Last edited by Vongola_Boss_XI; September 1st, 2021 at 02:18 PM.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by LawSamuka View Post
    It could be.
    He bought the Numbers (failure clones) made by MADS, recruited one of them (Queen) and made this scientist create a better clone/son.
    Except Yamato has horns exactly like Black Maria does, which would then indicate Yamato's mother is had those kinda horns, where as Kaido's horns appear to be more like that of Oars.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchInformer View Post
    The Bounties !

King is 1.39 billion
    WsW is 546 million
    Sasaki is 472 million
    BM is 480 Million
    Ulti is 400 Million
    Page One is 290 Million
    I was honestly expecting King's bounty to be around 1.5

Woah. So Franky and Robin should be expecting significant bounty boosts after their victories. Considering just how important Robin is as being the only living person capable of reading Poneglyphs, makes her insanely dangerous to the WG, and now she's beaten a pirate with such a large bounty, i expect at least 500 Million for her after Wano.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    I will have to call bullshit on King having bigger bounty then Marco. Must be 100% becauae he is lunaria Race.
    It is very clear that Jack, Queen and King have such high bounties because of their violent and sadistic behaviour. Jack is a unhinged lunatic and was returned to Zou to committ genocide against the Minks
    Queen is a crazy mad scientist who sees everyone as lab rats for his viral creations as well as torturing people, and i can't even imagine what madness King must get up, though i expect it involves fire

Quote Originally Posted by emi_b7 View Post
    There's no EX cards in these packs? I haven't seen anything regarding that.
    It does have EX cards, but it appears that people are more engaged to discuss manga character gender

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieYBM View Post
    Nobody is born any gender or 'sex'.
    So you believe there is no distinction between males and females in order to be labeled as such?
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    So you believe there is no distinction between males and females in order to be labeled as such?
    That's the insanity of the modern western world

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    Wano is a Kabuki Play in... four? five? three? ... acts. The impression I have always had is that Yamato is playing the role of Oden. She even first stepped on stage wearing a Hanya mask. The Straw Hats have been using lazy pseudonyms to fit in with the citizens of Wano. Not to mention Kanjuro, Big Mom's personality split, Momo's struggle to inherit his father's legacy, Hiyori as Komurasaki, Denjiro hiding not one, but two secret identities, performance and theatricality have been recurrent motifs throughout the entire story arc.

I very much agree with your assessment of that aspect of Yamato's character.

As for the Kaido part, I think he probably just wants a son for selfish reasons. He respects nothing else about Yamato's desires or wishes, so I never would have considered him respecting gender pronouns. I think the rest of the Beast Pirates just do what Kaido says / wants.
    This is an interesting take and good catch theme wise.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Yamato actually only referred to himself as a "male" but the first time he explained the whole gimnic to Luffy. You seek for "evidence", when there's actually a one-side thing from Yamato the whole time. The real issue only came from 1. the introduction box referring as "daughter"; 2. the whole merchandising; 3. now the Vivre Card.

We did not get any "female reference" from any character up to chapter 1020, the last time we saw Yamato. Yamato refers to himself as "son of Kaido"; Kaido calls "my son"; Sasaki and other underlings refers as "Little lord"; Luffy calls him "Yama-guy". The only character that called Yamato as a "her" is that Ace's crewmate which was shocked about Yamato being "the daughter of Kaido" with Yamato actually evil staring him after that (and not for the "Kaido's child" thing, as Yamato indeed revealed it the page before).

I mean, I get there's confusion cause merchandising choices, but the actual inside-manga has been one-sided since ever.
    And I admit that I don't know the exact reason to why Kaido and his subordinates refer to Yamato as "he," though seeing as how this is the same manga in which a father said that a woman can't be the strongest swordsman and wanted a son to inherit his dojo, then it's not completely unreasonable to at least consider the possibility that patriarchies and following the wishes of others may play into that, is it?

I see we’ve moved on from “casual” transphobia to literal actual slurs

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    It is very clear that Jack, Queen and King have such high bounties because of their violent and sadistic behaviour. Jack is a unhinged lunatic and was returned to Zou to committ genocide against the Minks
    Queen is a crazy mad scientist who sees everyone as lab rats for his viral creations as well as torturing people, and i can't even imagine what madness King must get up, though i expect it involves fire
    Queen called King a torture loving freak in their intro. That most likely has something to do with his bounty. What we see from Kata is that he is protecting his family first. Even tho he is relentless.

Iíve always assumed that most fighters in the New World use haki in invisible ways, like pre-TS. It may be a thing related to the observer knowing what to look for (so Franky or Robin didnít see haki uses) or just Oda sparing us from obvious revelations again and again.

But I still question why not include bounties of the Tobbi Roppo with their power reveals. It would hype them further at the time.

Iím surprised by their bounties. They are not low, but I was expecting at least some of them to be with Perospero and the rare others in the gap between 550 million and 1 billion.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Maybe I have missed it elsewhere, but it seems that Hatcha is 188 years old. I had assumed the Numbers were made just a few decades back (between the Rocks pirates dissolution and whenever Caesar was put in charge), but it seems that they may have been Giants that were experimented on to become ancient giants??! Or it could be something completely different of course.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

This kind of talk brings out those kinds of people unfortunatley

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Maybe I have missed it elsewhere, but it seems that Hatcha is 188 years old. I had assumed the Numbers were made just a few decades back (between the Rocks pirates dissolution and whenever Caesar was put in charge), but it seems that they may have been Giants that were experimented on to become ancient giants??! Or it could be something completely different of course.
    Just off hearing they were experimented on, it hit me that their laughter might be connected to that. Vinsmoke kids, Germa clones, Chopper's speaking habits when in Chibi form, Ice Oni effects on behavior, the removal of sorrow and anger with SMILE fruits if you don't get the beast ability. All of them have behavioral and emotional issues beyond their control. The only Numbers shown have just laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by D Restlin View Post
    The person you are talking cant even understand the term biological male/female. You are loosing your time
    Wasn't aware. Thanks for the heads up.
    Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9c746276d4.jpg

Genetic is not quite that simplistic in irl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ignoring the insect talk, it actually is simpler with humans.

Or are you claiming 5-alphareductase deficiency, missing a SRY gene in your Y chromosome, etc. are so common that the labels such as male and female no longer have meaning to say a person is born as one or the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Nope! That's the very most basic, (outdated) version taught in school, but you can end up with all sorts of variations. Xxy is not uncommon, and you can end up having the opposite set despite what your parts look like. Then there's women that get too much testosterone and grow beards, and men who grow breasts, and those that develop other characteristics later in life and ...

There's probably actually closer to something like 5-15 genders, but its subtle. And then hormones make that a million times more complicated. Plus brain chemistry and..

Stuff is way more complicated than that.
    I was just talking about humans being born male or female. Not gender.

And again like I asked before are those situations so common that now we're saying ppl aren't being born male or female anymore?

I really must've missed that scientific course correct.
    Last edited by Zik; September 1st, 2021 at 04:06 PM.
    Last.fm

Yup. Self-identification is the only marker of male, female or non-binary.
    She/Her
    Want to be a girl? Click here!
    What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

The things that 'biological sex' observes exist but the classification and the use of that classification are all fake and made up for a narrative and purpose separate from how people actually exist.
    So if the classification is fake and I assume scientists all agree on that what are the new labels to classify the multiple sexes?

Seriously asking. I missed out on female and male being obsolete terms.
    Yup. Self-identification is the only marker of male, female or non-binary.
    Welp, I guess that answers that.

I always knew gender was a social construct but apparently now sexes are so varied and common that they too are no longer useful.
    Last.fm

So if the classification is fake and I assume scientists all agree on that what are the new labels to classify the multiple sexes?

Seriously asking. I missed out on female and male being obsolete terms.
    Welp, I guess that answers that.

I always knew gender was a social construct but apparently now sexes are so varied and common that they too are no longer useful.
    The terms 'female' and 'male' can be changed on your identifications for a reason. Actually, they shouldn't be there at all if we want to get into it.

Like...if your doctor needs to know if you need a prostate examine or a breast exam I can guarantee you they can just ask if you need one of those...both! Or neither!
    She/Her
    Want to be a girl? Click here!
    What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I’ve always assumed that most fighters in the New World use haki in invisible ways, like pre-TS. It may be a thing related to the observer knowing what to look for (so Franky or Robin didn’t see haki uses) or just Oda sparing us from obvious revelations again and again.

But I still question why not include bounties of the Tobbi Roppo with their power reveals. It would hype them further at the time.

I’m surprised by their bounties. They are not low, but I was expecting at least some of them to be with Perospero and the rare others in the gap between 550 million and 1 billion.
    I agree with you about not breaking into that 600-700 million range. I kind of expected WsW too. I’m not disappointed just surprised.

I am disappointed that they didn’t use this opportunity to give Holdem and Speed a bounty. Even if it was a small throwaway number, like it should. It would have flesh out the series more. Kind of like the enraged army of Big Mom i.e Mont D’our and Bobbin.

This is an interesting take and good catch theme wise.
    Thanks! We'll see how it turns out of course when the curtains close on Wano.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

So.. PayPay and Ulti's dad was a pirate who died long ago.

That's interesting.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information