+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    Hey guys do you think they'll ever try and make a league of extraordinary Gentlemen shared universe???

and what other kind of shared universes are there that they could make, obviously there are a bunch of comic book ones they can make but what else is out there...

and R.I.P the Dark Universe
    Isn't LXG already technically a shared universe, since none of the characters in it are directly connected? But depending on the era it takes place in, I don't know how else they'd interact with outsiders unless time travel was involved. You'd think we'd have seen that on Legends of Tomorrow or something by now.

And I'm willing to bet the Dark Universe will make a comeback. Just not sure how long it'll be. They could have tried to make the continuity of the Brendan Fraser Mummy trilogy be the foundation for it, but they waited too long. Also didn't they reboot the Wolfman with Anthony Hopkins and Benicio Del Toro a while ago? Could have used that as the foundation too. They Green Lantern-ed it up, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Isn't LXG already technically a shared universe, since none of the characters in it are directly connected? But depending on the era it takes place in, I don't know how else they'd interact with outsiders unless time travel was involved. You'd think we'd have seen that on Legends of Tomorrow or something by now.
    It's definitely a cross over of a bunch of series, but I feel like there's a difference between a crossover and a shared universe.... the difference (in my opinion), if you just having one movie about the league where the characters join together and fight something that would be a cross over, but if you did something like say have a Nemo movie, a Mr. Hyde movie, Dracula movie, a Sherlock Homes movie etc.and make certain characters, themes and organizations that span all the movies and then have them then all come together in a team up movie by using those shared groups/characters etc. to bring them together that would be a shared universe

I feel like that's a difference, but maybe there the same thing and I'm just cray cray

that's why all shared universes seem to follow a similar format of making some underground organization that watches and studies the brand characters and usually and brings them together

The Avengers had shield monitoring all there super heroes, run by Nick Fury and Colson (the gold standard) Justice League had lex luthor and lex corps studying meta humans, and had batman and wonder woman use the stolen data to form the team, The Monsterverse has the organization Monarch and I assume some of the characters will return to tie them together, and Dark universe has Prodigium and Dr. Jackle/Hyde to bring them together.... until you know it died

so I guess with my incoherent ramblings I'm trying to say is crossovers =/= shared universe
    crossover = all characters assemble and fight big bad or whateves
    Shared Universe = multiple films within the same universe that are tied together by certain themes but remain separate until a movie comes along that brings them together

is that stupid or does it make sense

also League of extraordinary gentlemen could have Mycroft Holmes be the Nick Fury and the British secret service be there SHIELD (or give it a different name to sound cooler)
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    And I'm willing to bet the Dark Universe will make a comeback. Just not sure how long it'll be. They could have tried to make the continuity of the Brendan Fraser Mummy trilogy be the foundation for it, but they waited too long. Also didn't they reboot the Wolfman with Anthony Hopkins and Benicio Del Toro a while ago? Could have used that as the foundation too. They Green Lantern-ed it up, though.
    Agreed I def see them bringing it back in a few years, but they'll wait a little while I suspect.... and hopefully get a better team together

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    It's definitely a cross over of a bunch of series, but I feel like there's a difference between a crossover and a shared universe.... the difference (in my opinion), if you just having one movie about the league where the characters join together and fight something that would be a cross over, but if you did something like say have a Nemo movie, a Mr. Hyde movie, Dracula movie, a Sherlock Homes movie etc.and make certain characters, themes and organizations that span all the movies and then have them then all come together in a team up movie by using those shared groups/characters etc. to bring them together that would be a shared universe

I feel like that's a difference, but maybe there the same thing and I'm just cray cray
    Nah, I hear what you're sayin'. It's like how Once Upon a Time is a crossover but not a shared universe with anything else. Or Avengers Grimm; Now there's a movie that doesn't deserve its own thread, but whose core concept deserves to be a series!

that's why all shared universes seem to follow a similar format of making some underground organization that watches and studies the brand characters and usually and brings them together
    Alien Vs. Predator didn't really seem to have that, come to think of it. At least not very well done, and not til the literal tail end of Requiem. But that was the least of the reasons why those movies sucked.

The Avengers had shield monitoring all there super heroes, run by Nick Fury and Colson (the gold standard) Justice League had lex luthor and lex corps studying meta humans, and had batman and wonder woman use the stolen data to form the team, The Monsterverse has the organization Monarch and I assume some of the characters will return to tie them together, and Dark universe has Prodigium and Dr. Jackle/Hyde to bring them together.... until you know it died
    In the case of the DCEU I'd say it's more Amanda Waller's shadow organization. I'm curious if such a shared universe series could be done well without such a surrogate to bind them all together. I mean, the Marvel Netflix stuff kind of does but there are certain characters who do tie everything together even if they're not united or organized.

so I guess with my incoherent ramblings I'm trying to say is crossovers =/= shared universe
    crossover = all characters assemble and fight big bad or whateves
    Shared Universe = multiple films within the same universe that are tied together by certain themes but remain separate until a movie comes along that brings them together

is that stupid or does it make sense
    I'm smellin' what you're sellin'. Wait til we see a G.I. Joe/Transformers crossover; if there's at least one sequel to it, then it'll be a full-blown shared universe. They'll probably throw in Thundercats and Masters of the Universe for good measure, too. Like an explosion in your toy box, brought to you by some schmuck director whose name is dwarfed by seeing "Executive Produced by Michael Bay".

also League of extraordinary gentlemen could have Mycroft Holmes be the Nick Fury and the British secret service be there SHIELD (or give it a different name to sound cooler)
    If they turned out to be the Illuminati or Freemasons or something, they could do the HYDRA thing from The Winter Soldier, too.

Agreed I def see them bringing it back in a few years, but they'll wait a little while I suspect.... and hopefully get a better team together
    They had all the right ingredients, there was just literally no charm whatsoever to the Mummy film. A female antagonist to get some more diversity was a fantastic idea, the movie just had so little to like about it. Maybe if it took place in the same era as the Brendan Fraser Mummy movie (the first one), it could have been more interesting, period pieces tend to force filmmakers to be more creative, and who doesn't love a good sci-fi anachronism or five?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information