+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

Finished my David Lynch marathon.

Spoiler:
    Dune - Fitting that I'm watching this movie for the first time now that a remake is about to come out. And yes, this was my first exposure to the Dune story. Never read the book and up till now I only knew a little bit about it from occasional pop culture references. Supposedly this book has been considered very hard to adapt to film since a lot of the story is told through the characters' internal monologues. And while this move does have a cult following, it was mostly panned by critics. And...yeah, this movie is kind of a hot mess. I do appreciate the cheesy special effects (and hey, an appearance from Patrick Stewart!), but the plot just sort of trudges along and none of the actors seem at all interested in what they're doing. And the voice-over approach, for the most part, just really doesn't work. Still, I suppose this movie (or the Dune story at least) is a staple of nerd culture, so I can at least say now that I've seen it.

Blue Velvet - Finally, David Lynch gets to back in his element and, yeah, this is definitely more digestible than Eraserhead. And we see her that Lynch is very fascinated with sex (if that wasn't obvious from Eraserhead). Oh yeah, and massive trigger warning for anyone who has suffered sexual abuse or violence as this movie gets really intense in that regard. Honestly, I was surprised at how graphic the sex scenes were in this movie. Not because of what they showed, per se, but because of sheer emotion and anguish involved. That's what I'll remember most about this movie. Aside from that, the story is fine, but this movie didn't quite grip me and I found my attention wandering. But it is still a good movie. Also, the script allows Kyle MachLachlan to give a much better performance in this movie.

The Straight Story - The most un-David Lynch film that was ever made by David Lynch (or so I assume, I haven't technically seen all his movies). And I have to say this is a really really strong movie. I heard a fair bit about this movie before watching it, mainly from Doug Walker who, btw, I think really exaggerated how much of the movie is spent watching Alvin drive on his lawnmower. I mean, stuff happens in this movie. He meets a bunch of people along the way and talks with them. And he encounters setbacks and obstacles. It's not just him driving along a highway for 90 minutes. But anyway, it really is a sweet, intimate, laid-back movie that I think just about anyone can enjoy. Possibly my favorite Lynch film.

Mulholland Drive - Well, I said Straight Story might be my favorite Lynch film, but this is definitely my favorite "Lynch" film. Whereas Eraserhead was rather overbearing with its grotesqueness and sheer insanity, and Blue Velvet was perhaps a bit too conventional in terms of story, this movie strikes a perfect balance. It tells a very captivating mystery (though, as Ebert points out, there may not even really be a mystery) through Lynch's usual dream-like atmosphere, while also not making it too hard for the audience to follow. This is a movie that definitely warrants a rewatch (or two, or three) to catch all the things you missed. But even then, I'm not sure there is a right "answer" to the mystery of this movie. Thinking about it now, it appears that the last half hour of the movie was reality while the rest of it was a dream, but even then there appear to be some contradictions. I can understand not everyone enjoying this movie, but if you're the kind of person who doesn't demand answers, then I say give it a watch and let the emotions of the movie wash over you. Oh yeah, and those were some sexy-as-hell love scenes.

Speaking of Dune.
    Here's one of the fantastic musics from Hans Zimmer for the incoming remake

Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Finished my David Lynch marathon.

Spoiler:
    Dune - Fitting that I'm watching this movie for the first time now that a remake is about to come out. And yes, this was my first exposure to the Dune story. Never read the book and up till now I only knew a little bit about it from occasional pop culture references. Supposedly this book has been considered very hard to adapt to film since a lot of the story is told through the characters' internal monologues. And while this move does have a cult following, it was mostly panned by critics. And...yeah, this movie is kind of a hot mess. I do appreciate the cheesy special effects (and hey, an appearance from Patrick Stewart!), but the plot just sort of trudges along and none of the actors seem at all interested in what they're doing. And the voice-over approach, for the most part, just really doesn't work. Still, I suppose this movie (or the Dune story at least) is a staple of nerd culture, so I can at least say now that I've seen it.

Blue Velvet - Finally, David Lynch gets to back in his element and, yeah, this is definitely more digestible than Eraserhead. And we see her that Lynch is very fascinated with sex (if that wasn't obvious from Eraserhead). Oh yeah, and massive trigger warning for anyone who has suffered sexual abuse or violence as this movie gets really intense in that regard. Honestly, I was surprised at how graphic the sex scenes were in this movie. Not because of what they showed, per se, but because of sheer emotion and anguish involved. That's what I'll remember most about this movie. Aside from that, the story is fine, but this movie didn't quite grip me and I found my attention wandering. But it is still a good movie. Also, the script allows Kyle MachLachlan to give a much better performance in this movie.

The Straight Story - The most un-David Lynch film that was ever made by David Lynch (or so I assume, I haven't technically seen all his movies). And I have to say this is a really really strong movie. I heard a fair bit about this movie before watching it, mainly from Doug Walker who, btw, I think really exaggerated how much of the movie is spent watching Alvin drive on his lawnmower. I mean, stuff happens in this movie. He meets a bunch of people along the way and talks with them. And he encounters setbacks and obstacles. It's not just him driving along a highway for 90 minutes. But anyway, it really is a sweet, intimate, laid-back movie that I think just about anyone can enjoy. Possibly my favorite Lynch film.

Mulholland Drive - Well, I said Straight Story might be my favorite Lynch film, but this is definitely my favorite "Lynch" film. Whereas Eraserhead was rather overbearing with its grotesqueness and sheer insanity, and Blue Velvet was perhaps a bit too conventional in terms of story, this movie strikes a perfect balance. It tells a very captivating mystery (though, as Ebert points out, there may not even really be a mystery) through Lynch's usual dream-like atmosphere, while also not making it too hard for the audience to follow. This is a movie that definitely warrants a rewatch (or two, or three) to catch all the things you missed. But even then, I'm not sure there is a right "answer" to the mystery of this movie. Thinking about it now, it appears that the last half hour of the movie was reality while the rest of it was a dream, but even then there appear to be some contradictions. I can understand not everyone enjoying this movie, but if you're the kind of person who doesn't demand answers, then I say give it a watch and let the emotions of the movie wash over you. Oh yeah, and those were some sexy-as-hell love scenes.
    Blue Velvet is somewhat conventional but I think that's part of why it's great, because it does have really bizarre parts of it, but they're grounded by the rest of the movie and I think that works really well. As opposed to other Lynch movies where bizarre things happen with an equally bizarre structure. It takes quite a lot of imagination imo to be able to balance normal and strange well instead of going too far to either side. I don't really have much interest in watching Dune but I do want to watch the Straight Story at some point.

Mulholland Drive is one of my favorite movies ever.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

I did not like Infinite. Probably made it 17 minutes in and stopped. Trying Knives Out from some years back, then the Green Knight.

I liked Knives Out. Watched Beckett before Green Knight. I might put Beckett in my top 10 of the year.

Anyone plan on watching the Wheel Of Time tv show?

This movie got bumped back a whole year because of COVID. It's almost here, but I want it to come out already. I love Wes Anderson, and this looks so fun.

Bill Murray is looking really old, though.

In other news, Netflix has claimed the rights to ALL of ROALD DAHL'S works.
    https://movieweb.com/netflix-roald-d...bDceqcNKgRafZM

Dayum.

I watched Dune. It was great, but only an introduction to the story. It has great cinematography and production design.

Looking forward for part two.

I can't believe it covers half of the first book, more like a third. But whatever I guess.

Here's the big question: Do the sand worms live up to expectation?

I'm not sure, but I think one of the trailers shows the longest scene with a sandworm. This one here (at the end) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4 except that the scene is longer in the movie. I don't think there is any other scene where we see an "entire" sandworm. It's the money shot of the movie I guess haha (at least for sand worms)

If it's a Dune movie that can't nail the sandworms, then it fails.

Most of y'all know they're currently filming Hocus Pocus 2, and now Doug Jones has been confirmed. And damn I did not know that Doug played Billy Butcherson!
    https://movieweb.com/hocus-pocus-2-d...CxR92VG88jGNio

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information