+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Do Rats in the Wall or bust man. That the only genuinely creepy story. The others ate meta creepy of tales of horror beyond human comprehension.
    I've never actually read an HP Lovecraft story, I thought he was a horror icon?

Although I've heard he's a terrible racist

But I was under the assumption that HP Lovecraft's stories were set in Victorian London, was I wrong? Or is this just a modern interpretation of his work?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    He is a horror icon, yes, but from my experience reading his full works, Rats in The Wall was the only one to have a physiological effect after reading. The whole of cosmic horror genere is based on humanity being faced with thing it can barely comprehend or describe the the full extension of our knowledge. Just like Poe's thing was the macabre and the unreliable narrator on the verge of a nervous breakdown, Lovecraft's thing in the feelings of dread that humanity faces when confronted it a thing indescribable and completely above us in the evolutionary scale, at least for the Cthulhu mythos, I would argue that the Dream Land cycle is different.

Just like any "enlightened" anglo-american of his time. Remember the time the irish, italians, polish and eastern europeans weren't truly white?

But I was under the assumption that HP Lovecraft's stories were set in Victorian London, was I wrong? Or is this just a modern interpretation of his work?
    Sonny,that's Ser Edward Grey, the Witchfinder by Mike Mignola. The Chtulhu mythos take place in the Lovecraft Country, a semi-fictional part of New England, as the map bellow.
    Hidden:

Stupid Lovecraft. You're from Providence, why is all your scary places in Massachusetts?!

. . . . maybe that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post

Quite the horror icon, and yes was pretty racist. Didn't seem to pollute his works that much, though.

The only Lovecraft story I've read is The Shadow Over Insmouth, and that's pretty damn creepy. Not scream-riffic or anything, but damn creepy.

I've read most of his stuff. I'm still salty we never got that At the Mountains of Madness movie that Del Toro was supposedly working on (though it probably never got past pre-production). At the Mountains of Madness, Dreams in the Witch House, The Colour Out of Space, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, and Dagon are some of my favorites, though I love the vast majority of his stuff, but it's been a while since I've read any of it so some of it's kind of hazy. Some people don't like him because his writing style can get a bit samey and that's true to some extent but I like it.

I think most of the racist claims stream from the fact that his writing is based in the confrontation of the common man with concepts strange and foreign to him. And what concept can top that for a true breed american than the mass influx of migrants that hit the east coast in the late XIX century. The texts that are in fact have a dose of prejudice is Horror at the Red Hook, and maybe the fact that the main character of Rats in the Walls has a black cat called n-man, but lets just brush the fact that
    Spoiler:
    his ancient family were cannibals that breed a sub race of humans for consumption in their ancient castle. Sure the problematic aspect was indeed the cat.
    I mean very few call the racism in Murders in Rue Morgue, an there are mostly academical.

At the Mountains by Del Toro would be a blast, but Hollywood producers would say: " Ain't that just basically Carpenter's The Thing?"
    I think the Randolph Carter cycle would be a pretty dope adult animation series. Or the heck just adapt Providence by Moore and make the grinch even more bitter that his writings are a commercially success.
    By the way anyone saw Colour Out of Space with Nic Cage?

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    I've read most of his stuff. I'm still salty we never got that At the Mountains of Madness movie that Del Toro was supposedly working on (though it probably never got past pre-production).
    The dream of every Lovecraftian and/or horror fan in general, (because who better for Lovecraft than Del Toro?), but the producers just couldn't let that R rating stand. Even though it, y'know, needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    The dream of every Lovecraftian and/or horror fan in general, (because who better for Lovecraft than Del Toro?), but the producers just couldn't let that R rating stand. Even though it, y'know, needed it.
    Didn't he had the blind penguin prop done or I was just hit with the Mandela effect.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Just finished watching Color out of Space with Nic Cage, and surprise, surprise...it's not horrible. They jut went overboard with the purple, I known they can literally pull a colour out of the visible spectrum, but the could at least make it be a flickering multi chromatic entity. A better script wouldn't hurt either.

Kind of randomly been on a John Carpenter kick for the last few weeks, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on some of his movies.

Halloween - Yeah, this is still a really effectively tense and creepy horror movie. The characters are pretty thin and I'm not sure why Michael Myers, a man who's been confined to a mental institution his whole life, is apparently superhuman, but it still works. And the soundtrack is tremendously effective in adding to the creep factor. It's iconic for a reason.

The Thing - Good, but not the best monster movie I've seen. Obviously the special effects and puppetry are amazing, but the story and characters didn't totally win me over. Part of the problem, I think, is that there seems to be no rules about who the Thing could or couldn't have absorbed. And I get that's the idea that it could be anybody, but I feel like that takes some of the tension away when anyone could have been infected at any time for no reason.

Escape from New York - Has a good atmosphere and Isaac Hayes gives a good performance as The Duke, but a lot of it feels like a fairly by-the-numbers action movie. Snake Pliskin is...cool? I guess? But at the same time he almost feels like a parody of an action hero. And Kurt Russell doesn't exactly have the most commanding presence as an action lead (which may be due the writing. I don't know).

They Live - The movie is just strange. Both in its tone and the decisions that were made while producing it. I mean, yeah, we've all heard about the aliens sending subliminal messages, the long fight scene with Keith David, and the nonsensical "Bubblegum" line. But, for instance, what strikes me as especially strange about the "Bubblegum" line is that it happens about 30 minutes into the movie, when I think it would make more sense to say it during the climax, since it doesn't really feel earned at that point. And on that note, Roddy Piper's character is really dumb in that as soon as he finds out about the aliens he starts blowing them away, guns a-blazing. Like, what did you think was gonna happen man? Oh well. Cool idea for a movie, just probably could've used a rewrite or two.

EDIT: For the record, I watched Big Trouble in Little China several years ago. I remember it being a fun goofy 80's movie, but a still bit weird and not fully realized in the writing department.
    Last edited by Nobodyman; May 17th, 2020 at 09:16 PM.

Have you watched The Fog, Assault on Precinct 13, or Big Trouble in Little China as part of this?

Darkstar is one that's best to watchpaired with Alien or as a mini-marathon with those two and It! The Terror From Beyond Space in chronological order. Along similar lines, watching Halloween after Night of the Hunter and Psycho really adds to the effect since you can see the development of the modern slasher films.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Have you watched The Fog, Assault on Precinct 13, or Big Trouble in Little China as part of this?

Darkstar is one that's best to watchpaired with Alien or as a mini-marathon with those two and It! The Terror From Beyond Space in chronological order. Along similar lines, watching Halloween after Night of the Hunter and Psycho really adds to the effect since you can see the development of the modern slasher films.
    See my edited post for Big Trouble in Little China. Haven't seen the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    See my edited post for Big Trouble in Little China. Haven't seen the others.
    If you've never seen either, I definitely would.

Both of them have moments that will stick with you so avoid spoilers as much as you can; one is early on for Precinct 13 and one is really late for The Fog.
    Complicating things since 2009.

I just finished watching the TV Show Dollhouse, really liked it, would have liked to seen more of Alpha but overall it was really good

Tenet got pushed back again, God Damn it

Is anyone watching Hamilton when it comes onto Disney Plus

Finally got around to watching Whiplash yesterday. A very well-acted and produced movie, but...man I'm not sure I like that ending.

I mean, I guess the real issue is that the movie itself isn't even sure what stance it's taking on Terence Fletcher. But, for my money, Terence is absolutely a villain. An utterly abusive asshole who heard one story Charlie Parker getting a cymbal thrown at him and suddenly he thinks that's the universal guide to success. Sure, maybe he has a bit of a point in how we've become overly-nurturing and rewarding of mediocrity, but he takes it way too far in the opposite direction. And he's kind of a sleazebag in general. I mean, this guy lies to his students about how a former student of his died, claiming he died in a car accident rather than committing suicide due to anxiety brought on by him.

Anyway, the bottom line is, the ending, I believe, is supposed to be a moment of triumph for Andrew in which he realizes his potential, surprising even Terence, and the two come to a sort of unspoken mutual understanding and respect. And, I'm like "No!" Terence does not deserve any sort of respect or satisfaction from this. Or, I dunno, maybe I'm misinterpreting the ending. If anyone wants to offer an alternative viewpoint, I'm listening.

Swole Chihuahua Rogues' Gallery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    I'm still salty we never got that At the Mountains of Madness movie that Del Toro was supposedly working on (though it probably never got past pre-production).
    Personally I'm much more disappointed in that Haunted Mansion reboot with Del Toro writing and producing that never came to fruition.

Especially among other live-action adaptions of Disney rides being green-lit, like The Jungle Cruise with the Rock.

It really is a damn shame & a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by RobZilla
    By the end of this fight with Diamante, she'll rediscover her resolve when she's faced with a protect them or they die situation.
    Rebecca will get her triumphant moment, don't you worry.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information