+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 906: The Holy Land Mary Geoise

Default Chapter 906: The Holy Land Mary Geoise

Last edited by BobLoblaw; June 1st, 2018 at 07:02 AM.

Default Re: Chapter 906: The Holy Land Mary Geoise

Mariejoa.gif

Shulolololo people are sooo extra

Carue salty as hell

P̒̌͒ͥ̐̏̑sͥ̇y̔cͣ͌̍rͫ̔ȏ w̾͆ ̇ Psycrow's Avatar

Mary Geouiouiuoiuaauaoiaeoeuoaeoiase is now official, get used to it (Sterry too)
    One Piece characters exploring outside options when One Piece is on break...

Discovered Stowaway

I'm really enjoying this so far, it seems like Oda is using the arc to introduce new readers to the story while giving longtime fans lots of charming interaction between popular characters we haven't seen in a while.

That being said, the pages with the three princesses are hard to look at, not only because everyone looks the same but also because Shirahoshi and most of all Rebecca are such super flat characters.

Discovered Stowaway DarkHamster's Avatar

SQUEEEEEE after reading this manga for so long and it feels like we're getting closer and closer near the end. This is exciting.

Two wanted posters hmmm who's the other person I wonder.

Man, I had the biggest smile during this whole chapter. If there's one place I've always wanted to see the most besides Laftes is Mary Geoise (what a weird romanization) and it didn't disappoint. I love how simple yet dignified it looks. And of course I loved everything about the princes meeting each other. Of course, it's totally a fanservice playing with nostalgia, but it's awesome anyway. I'm really digging Rebecca and Shirahoshi in this current context.

But the last page... DAMN! Tbh, I'm a little worried about this hat, because it seems like a really in-your-face reference that lacks subtlety and tastefulness (for my tastes, at least).

However, just to emphasize one little thought, for the longest time now I read One Piece with the mentality that the narrative is deliberately presenting Luffy as a predestined person, not only the usual stubborn and talented guy that will get to become the King of Pirates by sheer willpower. Therefore, I don't really bother with all these miraculous conections between Luffy and his predecessors... but I think it must be done in good taste.

That said, I will hold my judgement until further explanation, whenever it comes.

Just popped in to say that Kureha is awesome as ever.

And Doffy <3

I just want the best princess to appear already. And by that I mean Enel.

You are on a quest to become the Pirate Prince, and you decide your fate!

Oh gosh that last page! So mysterious! Watch that nun looking person turn out to be as goofy looking as Minatorous. I wonder if it's cold down there because it's so high/deep into the mountain or do purposely refrigerate the place?
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Discovered Stowaway ArseneWenger's Avatar

Please don't make One Piece like Naruto pre destined crap!
    Whichever side wins becomes the Justice.

In the last page... What in the blue hell was that?!?!?!

wtf is going on ?? that hat ???

Quote Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
    I'm really enjoying this so far, it seems like Oda is using the arc to introduce new readers to the story while giving longtime fans lots of charming interaction between popular characters we haven't seen in a while.

That being said, the pages with the three princesses are hard to look at, not only because everyone looks the same but also because Shirahoshi and most of all Rebecca are such super flat characters.
    I wouldn't call either flat.

You might not like the characters, but they're definitely not flat.

I can't even with that Lapahn.

I just really hope we'll get the history behind this hat still in this arc, please! I need answers, because everything Mingo has said in Dressrosa is sounding really weird right now.

I've never before read a chapter that felt like fan fiction...... but in a good way:
    All these royal characters meeting up and chilling out all seems Fan-ficcy but because this event has been so thoroughly built up its extremely cathartic. In other words it felt like fan-service not as a nod and wink to the readers but this fan-service has been carefully built into the plot since it's early years. I've never seen a manga do that and probably wont until Araki finds an excuse to put all of the Joestars into a single series.

It really does feel as if a ton of effort is being placed to turn this arc into the Sabaody of the New World (we;re about that many chapters in). If WCI was an arc expy of Thriller Bark, and Dressrosa was Alabastia combined with The CP9 Saga. This has the makings of a Sabaody-type arc even down to the recap reintroduction. Which tells me this is probably one of the last arcs in this series. A lot of Luffy's exploits and connections gathered through the series are being paid off in a big way. it feels so End-game and thats probably why It feels like fanservice.

Art: So A lot of these princess have "same-face" syndrome, which I'll bet was a problem for Oda to work with. What aside from their hair could he use to tell two same-faced characters apart? Well subtle nuances are there that differentiates them, be it how rugged their smile is. I also really love the sheer number of Moe faces on display, but This is One Piece, so I would LOVE to See Oda experiment with some more traditional cartoon expressions.

And now for my biggest problem: That Blasted Straw hat. I really, really, really, really, REALLLLLLY don't like this twist on it's own. it places an importance on Luffy specifically with Mariejois in a way that is probably going to be far too coincidental, and it almost feels like it's setting up Luffy becoming a child of prophecy just like Naruto. One Piece works so well, specifically because it's avoided outright turning luffy into one. In fact it seemed like Ace's lineage was a giant "fuck you" to Luffy being some generational xerox of Roger. Now I cant say too much on this twist now, because it's not explained, but I REALLLY hope Oda can pull this one off.

Overall it was a strong 8/10 chapter for me.

Theory post: Hey, What if that treasure actually morphs and sees the future Like Sharley did. It's broadcasting Luffy's Hat as the thing that is going to drastically change the eras which may have contributed to Luffy's Bounty Boost.

Quote Originally Posted by ArseneWenger View Post
    Please don't make One Piece like Naruto pre destined crap!
    You must have not been following the series at all then. Destiny has been one of the series biggest theme.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Somebody stop Oda from writing in English! Lol only kidding. Except for Nefertari. Which he spelled Nefeltari 2 years ago.

Pretty chill chapter. I really enjoyed the interactions from all the old characters. Thankfully, peppered within the "I love Lucy!" chatter were some moments that gave me pretty good pause. First the slaves moving the sidewalk. I really shouldn't have been surprised, but it was a pretty good reminder of what the World Government is built on. Then there's the stuff with Shirahoshi. I don't expect Charloss' comments about her to pan out in any meaningful way, but I found her suitor situation quite interesting and indicative of how likely the fishmen might end up getting in trouble thanks to her naivete.

Getting Doflamingo at the end was a nice dessert, and as for the national treasure...well, I don't have anything to think yet other than being surprised. I don't know how a straw hat would let an immortal Doffy rule the world, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what it does. Though I'm not really worried about it indicating that Luffy is predestined for greatness or something; Luffy wasn't born with the hat; his determination got it passed down to him from Shanks who got it from Roger. And if it's associated with Roger, it being important in some way is hardly a surprise.

Also, since the Reverie is 7 days and we're not long for this arc, I think my original thoughts will hold true and that this arc will mainly happen to set up conflicts that will pan the rest of the series, with not many if any self contained arcs.

Spoiler:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information