+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 906: The Holy Land Mary Geoise

Default Re: Chapter 906: The Holy Land Mary Geoise

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    I wouldn't call either flat.

You might not like the characters, but they're definitely not flat.
    Both are stereotypical, whiny damsel-in-distress characters, what is not flat about them? Apart from their ridiculous chests, of course.

So, the reverie will last 7 days. Just enough time to cover Kaidou's defeat!

I like that Oda gave all the trivia about the kingdom that Luffy saved. It's a nice touch as most people would have forgotten about them. (Though I remember all of them...)
    The Luffy fanclub make me laugh.
    Vivi & Rebecca look so much like each other.lol
    If not for the different in cosmetic, I can't tell them apart. At least Shirahoshi is a giant mermaid.

DD's line about power rotting away is kinda interesting. Is he referring to the national treasure?
    I don't think the national treasure is the strawhat. At this point, there is not enough info to make a decent theory about it.

The unknown individual is holding two bounty poster. I hope oda address who the other individual is soon. (Sanji???Idk)
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    So we're going down this rabbit hole again.

hOOOLY Shit the Hype !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Just popped in to say that Kureha is awesome as ever.

And Doffy <3
    I agree, I had to laugh with joy at seeing her old gag line still being used. "Are you asking for the secret to my youth?"

You must have not been following the series at all then. Destiny has been one of the series biggest theme.
    Destiny is a major theme, but at the same time it's always been presented that literally anybody with Luffy's disposition, and work ethic could do what he does, and rule the world. It's never been outright stated that Luffy is some predetermined messiah figure...... Naruto was a pre-determined messiah figure, and a big problem with that is it completely invalidates the Journey. IF luffy was destined to do literally everything he does, then what was all that struggle for? He could literally lie down and make his way out of any situation because "muh destiny." It's easily one of the worst plot devices in fiction Next to ..............the love..........triangle............................ ................................

Ohh.... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
    Both are stereotypical, whiny damsel-in-distress characters, what is not flat about them? Apart from their ridiculous chests, of course.
    Shirahoshi and Rebecca both have backstories, philosophies and motivations. Flat characters have no depth whatsoever.

Heck, Rebecca is probably a better warrior than Vivi, actually having Haki and actual training.

And Shirahoshi can destroy the world.

That was his joke (I guess).

Anyway, I'm won't argue here if they're flat or not, but I don't know which kind of "deep character" would not be flat in such trivial conversation. Both Hoshi and Rebecca presented really quirky/charming reactions throughout this chapter and that's not so bland.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Returns View Post
    Destiny is a major theme, but at the same time it's always been presented that literally anybody with Luffy's disposition, and work ethic could do what he does, and rule the world. It's never been outright stated that Luffy is some predetermined messiah figure...... Naruto was a pre-determined messiah figure, and a big problem with that is it completely invalidates the Journey. IF luffy was destined to do literally everything he does, then what was all that struggle for? He could literally lie down and make his way out of any situation because "muh destiny." It's easily one of the worst plot devices in fiction Next to ..............the love..........triangle............................ ................................

Luffy is not predetermined. He wasn't born with a Straw Hat.

So do we get a short backstory for the strawhat? It seems creepy to me hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    That was his joke (I guess).

Anyway, I'm won't argue here if they're flat or not, but I don't know which kind of "deep character" would not be flat in such trivial conversation. Both Hoshi and Rebecca presented really quirky/charming reactions throughout this chapter and that's not so bland.
    No joke.

You guys really don't know your literary terms.

You must have not been following the series at all then. Destiny has been one of the series biggest theme.
    i don't think destiny has the same meaning for you both

Why did the spoilers say that the big strawhat was sitting on top of the fourth red poneglyph? Am I blind?

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Luffy is not predetermined. He wasn't born with a Straw Hat.
    He's had this thing since his character's inception. Birth or not is semantics.

I was worried everything wrong would happen this arc, but this chapter is a nice fresh breath of air. There's still future chapter where royalty and such will get into heated arguments however...

Did I misread something? Is the shadowy figure so far as we know completely random or are they also an assassin mentioned by Doffy? Though the Assassin would be in Impel Down after him instead. It is weird how a straw hat is related to the island's treasure. How big is that hat actually? It looks quite large in that panel.

So to recap something discussed in the spoiler thread, the big straw hat could possibly related to "the voice of all things" that Luffy hears (who was also able to hear sea kings, like Roger), and something that could be an amplifier built for Shirahoshi, to use her as a weapon, explaining its size.

Maybe there is a destiny thing revolving around the straw hat or straw hats in general, but that doesn't mean Luffy is personally destined to do anything. He earned his right to wear the hat through his big dreams, utter confidence in his goals, and his relationship with Shanks, who we can assume earned the hat from Roger the same way. Maybe there will be some global prophecy about a man in a straw hat like Fishman Island had, and even if that person is Luffy, it'll be him because he chose to wear the hat and earned the right to do so, not because it was always meant to be him or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    I can't even with that Lapahn.

I saw Kureha's shirt of 100 B in reference to Chopper's bounty, but I did NOT notice the hat/helmet on the Lapahn has antlers!

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Shirahoshi has been cut off from the outside world most of her life, and is currently learning its ins and outs while working to improve her courage as well as having to deal with the fact that she's a weapon. She is literally a fish out of water.

Rebecca is a girl who wants a peaceful life, but aside from a few questionable moments, she has shown a determination to take on the obstacles she faces no matter how extreme. Oda could do plenty of things with her so long as he avoids having her get into fights.

Being emotionally weak is not being shallow, and that impression is rather shallow in and of itself. Vivi's character is almost completely defined by her extreme devotion to her country, but I don't think people would be quick to call her shallow. And overall, regardless of the characters of the three princesses, you are not going to get extremely deep conversation about a guy they all feel pretty much the same way about.

Spoiler:

I wonder if Madam Sherly that prophesied the destruction of Fishman Island actually saw someone who wore that hat and mistook him for Luffy. After all, we only see his shadow...

Want to see the Colored Manga Chapters in English? Support Snir in his endeavor by DONATING: http://sniraharon.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Returns View Post

This is a paradoxal question, because regardless of whether or not Luffy is destined, you're witnessing his willpower and investment throughout his journay in order to make it happen. I remember when I was reading the series The Dark Tower, written by Stephen King, and he used the concept of Ka and Ka-tet, that were something like the force of destiny, but even then the characters had to do their stuff.

Anyway, there're plenty of moments already that builds Luffy as someone predestined, like his powers (voice of all things), his lineage (D.), his luck, the narration boxes and even the characters themselves recognizing it (and I'm not talking about the trust that the Strawhats put on Luffy).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information