+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Mafia 58: Civilization and its Discontents

Default Re: Mafia 58: Civilization and its Discontents

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    What do you mean by recruitment mafia?
    Cultist-like. Every night they recruit a non-member into their faction.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Shuhan View Post
    Sorry guys, didn't know the game started.

Anyway, this mechanic is fun, I like the actual weight on town to actually work for a change, this just makes sure that happens even further. Honestly, waiting to the endgame really is a double edged sword that everyone already seems to have discussed, but there is another angle to this. What if...hypothetically...there is no mafia? It is a very small chance...and slightly demented on the host's part...but there is that possibility. The flavor text only makes assumptions that there are malcontents, it doesn't actually say there is or not.

For now though, that is a far flung idea and probably be put on the shelf for a later time, just spit balling ideas.
    In this hypothetical, it would be impossible for town to lose the game if they had no enemies. What's the fun in that?

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

With only nine volunteers here I'll assume it's one non-Town group only. But I think a cult is unlikely unless the Town has some serious power at night. Mafia is more than enough in this scenario.

NNID: jervinnectar

Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post
    I don't think that'll be a problem as long as the Town works together. This setup is all about teamwork and coordination. Individually, we are strong, but if we combine our strength, we'll be unstoppable.
    I agree, but it's still more difficult to catch a Mafia that hasn't slipped up. And if they haven't slipped up, making their way into the final X when it comes to voting will be much easier.

Oh God, please don't let this turn into a cult mafia game.

Anyway, I feel like we should account for something similar to that, that would turn the game into a ticking time bomb.
    I want to believe that we can do "Until one is alive" strat, but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the special rule/win con allows the mafia to have some quirky ability that works around it.

Quote Originally Posted by No swords style best style View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why would one mafia acting alone be harder to catch than multiple ones? Wouldn't we still have make sure all of them are eliminated?
    Besides what Nectar said, by lynching one we can analyze his death note/role description which can sometimes help us understand what other mafia roles are in play.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Okay, I am here and caught up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    We're 9? 10? That should be around 3 mafia at least. That's a bare minimum of mafia lynches before even considering closing the game.
    Actually, I think 3 is too many. Typically, a setup should have less than 30% of our total population be Mafia, otherwise it tips way too hard in the Mafia's favor. And that's for a more normal setup; considering that we have a trickier win condition than usual, that applies even moreso here. I'd guess there's 2 out of our 9, which would put us at 22% Mafia, which seems about right. I won't completely discount 3, of course, but if it turns out there are that many, I really hope we have a pretty good smattering of powers mixed in the Townies and an all-vanilla Mafia, or we could be pretty screwed if we get unlucky, in which case it wouldn't take very long for the Mafia to outnumber us.

Of course, all of this is under the assumption that we just have two groups, Town and Mafia (or the basic equivalent of a Mafia group). We should never completely disregard other possibilities, naturally, but for the time being, I'm inclined to agree with Nectar and just move forward with two groups in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy 9000 View Post
    I would hope an investigative role exists that will be able to help us narrow things down better by at least the final 4/5.
    I second this. Having all our Townies be vanilla would leave us more in the dark in a game where we have to be more sure of ourselves than usual. Maybe we could get away with it if there's just 2 Maf, but like I said above, I definitely feel even more emphatically about hoping we have a fairly powered Town if we've got to find more than two bad guys to win.

Quote Originally Posted by No swords style best style View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why would one mafia acting alone be harder to catch than multiple ones? Wouldn't we still have make sure all of them are eliminated?
    In addition to what Nectar and Space have both already said, another thing that makes them trickier to catch when they're not acting in tandem is that catching one of them is less likely to give you clues you can follow to find the others.
    Hidden:

A brief reminder that approximately 16 hours remain in the day.

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to achieve a majority. No votes are currently placed.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Okay so time is ticking, I feel like discussing how many mafia members we have to death (pun intended ) isn’t becoming the most productive thing right now.. can we start talking about what our plan should be for today?
    Hidden:

Not much will happen on Day 1, but someone in Town must have a night power. I think the game's built to have at least one. Been thinking of a way to trip up the Mafia.

Let's all pick two other people to target tonight (random or not) and see how the Mafia reacts. The next Day everyone gives a "report" but doesn't say on who unless they want to risk it. The report can be as simple as nothing to report on my target. Assuming everyone agrees, I pick Femme and SpaceCowboy because they've been active.

Assuming the day is near its end, I just want to leave my position clear for today, even though it won't make much of a difference.

Vote: No Lynch

@Nectar: Is it really necessary to say the 2 people today?

You mean everyone giving a report on Day 2 with either a fake/real or fake/fake targets? That works too. I didn't think of that.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Since I may not get the chance to post again before the Day ends, I'll put my vote down now.

Vote: No Lynch

And yeah, I think doing the reports tomorrow is a good idea, but I don't know that we should specifically pick two people today. That could potentially paint targets on their backs, and also--assuming we do have some kind of investigative role--that person could potentially have different suspicions than the two people we pick and want to do their own investigating. I think just everybody giving two reports in general should still be helpful.
    Hidden:

With 9 players, it takes 5 votes to achieve a majority.

No Lynch (2): SpaceCowboy, BellisarioFaith

Not Voting (7): SUDK, Shuhan, Nectar, Galaxy9000, No Swords, Femme, Wooden_Giraffe

Under 4 hours remain in the day.

I'm fine with the reports thing.
    As long as we don't lose a lot of time talking about it I can't see any harm in it.

The likelihood of traitors in your midsts may have sent titters of shock through the Town initially, but it's nice to see a plan of actions of sorts start to form. Sleep tight, everyone!

You have 24 hours to send in any night actions to Vorli or me.

The day breaks through the hexagonal glass panes above you. The sound of bird calls is oddly absent, as almost none of them have been allowed in this closed biodome, until a lone rooster breaks the loud silence. No breeze is in the air.

SpaceCowboy lets out a yawn and trudges over to the well to draw up some water. Rubbing his eyes, he notices a bloodstain on the stone lip and a faint stench wafting up.. He peers into the depths. Way down below, floating in the water, is the bloated corpse of Femme.

When you all pull up her body, you find a crumpled, water-logged note in her pocket. It reads:

"Welcome! You are a Serial Killer.

Night Ability: The Town is your flock and you are a wolf among them. Each night, you may select one player to kill. This murder is an act of fate and cannot be stopped in any way until you yourself are killed.

You win if you are the last player remaining, or if the Town votes to end the game while you are the only non-Town player remaining."

Shocked but somewhat reassured by this revelation, you begin to discuss the day. And don't worry, there's another well in the town too.

Day 2 has now begun. You have 48 hours to achieve a vote. (4:00 pm ET on Saturday)

With 8 players alive, it takes 5 to achieve a majority.

Not Voting (9): SUDK, SpaceCowboy, Shuhan, Galaxy 9000, BellisarioFaith, Wooden_Giraffe, Nectar, No swords style best style
    Last edited by Jabberwok; May 31st, 2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Serial Killer font color changed to avoid confusion

Schrödinger's Giraffe Wooden_Giraffe's Avatar

Well thanks to whoever killed Femme. One thing that worries me is the use of red font. Normally red is saved for mafia and serial killers get lumped in as third party green. Granted that could just be assumption on my part as it is Jabs first hosting game that I know of. Either way, there are definitely more threats among us. So no happy peacetime Vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden_Giraffe View Post
    Well thanks to whoever killed Femme. One thing that worries me is the use of red font. Normally red is saved for mafia and serial killers get lumped in as third party green. Granted that could just be assumption on my part as it is Jabs first hosting game that I know of. Either way, there are definitely more threats among us. So no happy peacetime Vote.
    That's just on me, wasn't aware Serial Killers were usually green. Don't read into it!

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

I must ask yet another noob question: we can take the note at face value, right? There's no way somebody could put that there to deceive us about Femme's role?

I targeted Femme or SpaceCowboy. I got no result.

Okay. If Femme's kills can't be blocked then someone should've died unless a player's ability includes high-priority kills. Another reason is Femme decided not to kill and was maybe keeping hidden until the end. From the way (she?) played, I bet that's what she tried to do. It's what I would do.

Going by Femme's death, the Mafia wants strong or at least active players out the way. Looking forward to hearing EVERYONE'S reports. Don't forget to name your targets. We want to make things easy as possible for Watchers or Trackers.

Hmm, this is a good development.

That may alleviate my fear of a double kill tied game at the end of the game. Unless the serial killer is the only killer who is blocked from killing if they are killed (that's how I interpreted that wording, at least)

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information