+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Mafia 58: Civilization and its Discontents

Default Re: Mafia 58: Civilization and its Discontents

And with that, everyone has confirmed their participation and all PMs have been sent!

Dr. Vorlianis and I formally welcome you to the BIOS-58 facility, a closed ecological system created on this island for the purposes of understanding the society-building dynamics present in an isolated human population. You will have free reign of the interior, which resembles a rustic shanty town from the American 1930s. Machinery and tools are available, but electricity is not present in the township. There are two exceptions: the cameras scattered around the facility for constant observation of your noble efforts, and the screen located on the west edge of the town, where any announcements we need to make will be projected.

We hope that the next two weeks will be fulfilling, productive, and scientifically enlightening! However, as it appears increasingly likely that a few of you pose a serious and malignant threat to the rest of the Town, we encourage you to remain vigilant. Unfortunately, we do not know the exact number of these hostile individuals.

As such, this study features a unique victory condition: rather than end immediately once all threats to the Town have been eliminated, the game must instead be ended by a majority vote to end the game and coexist without suspicion. If all threats have been removed, the Town immediately wins; if any non-Town players are still present, the Town loses.

Don’t let this bring you down! Please spend your time getting to know each other and deciding your plans of action. BIOS-58 is officially open and Day 1 will end in 48 hours, at 3 PM ET, May 30th.
    Last edited by Jabberwok; May 31st, 2018 at 12:41 PM.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Schrödinger's Giraffe Wooden_Giraffe's Avatar

Does this mean that these hostile individuals have the usual run of the mill win condition?

How many are we again? Nine?

That's a pretty bizarre win con, and to be honest it only makes the game harder for the town.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden_Giraffe View Post
    Does this mean that these hostile individuals have the usual run of the mill win condition?
    I mean, once they're the majority, they can just vote to end the game, so I guess so.

Correct.

16 char.

That's about right. Non-Town normal win conditions are in place in addition to the one stated in the above post.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

I guess that just means we'll keep going all the way to one player to unilaterally end the game.

Seems like it's the best way to ensure we don't have any threats left.

Yeah, I'm not sure how we as the town benefit from not continuing as long as possible to erase any doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    I guess that just means we'll keep going all the way to one player to unilaterally end the game.
    Here's some food for thought, though. If a lynch is achieved on the final day with 3 remaining, and the two remaining players have some ability to kill each other, the game veers into a tie-game situation. The same goes for if only a mafia player and a town player exists, except the mafia player would kill that town player and win.

So I don't know if relying on the end of the game like that 100% is a good strategic move. I would hope an investigative role exists that will be able to help us narrow things down better by at least the final 4/5.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

Unless it's really a mafia/townie scenario, I can't see two people having the ability to kill that late into the game. Maybe one at most.
    And if it's mafia/townie, I guess that's just the natural course of things. We lose if they aren't all dead anyway.

We're 9? 10? That should be around 3 mafia at least. That's a bare minimum of mafia lynches before even considering closing the game.

That's.. interesting! o_o So wait, we have to unanimously decide that there's no threats to town or else the game will continue on infinitely? OH BOY.

Honestly it sounds pretty hard to achieve, but by late end game after tons of evidence comes forward I would hope this will be easier to figure out... I feel like it's going to be a lot of chaotic discussions going around in circles though.

Also I foresee a lot of suspicions being pointed towards people who support the notion that mafia is eliminated, so it's going to be hard to voice that opinion in late game without everyone becoming suspicious of you.
    Hidden:

Sorry guys, didn't know the game started.

Anyway, this mechanic is fun, I like the actual weight on town to actually work for a change, this just makes sure that happens even further. Honestly, waiting to the endgame really is a double edged sword that everyone already seems to have discussed, but there is another angle to this. What if...hypothetically...there is no mafia? It is a very small chance...and slightly demented on the host's part...but there is that possibility. The flavor text only makes assumptions that there are malcontents, it doesn't actually say there is or not.

For now though, that is a far flung idea and probably be put on the shelf for a later time, just spit balling ideas.

"I am the wings of despair. I am the breath of ruin. I am the fell dragon, Grima. Pay me the respect I am due, and I promise you a painless death."

For demented souls such as Jabs and vor that is always possible. But I refuse to operate under the notion that a no-mafia setup is the case here, if there are mafia it's a detrimental thought, and if their aren't then nothing is lost by us scumhunting and lynching like normal. So I wouldn't advise you to dwell on it.

This a perfect setup for one non-town (I'll call them mafia for now on unless a scum flips something other than that) to throw every team member under the bus. Pointing it out in case the mafia wants to try it.

NNID: jervinnectar

I'm here!
    Nectar, it probably wasn't a great idea to announce that. The Mafia may not have realised it, and if one does that then they'll be infinitely harder to catch out. Unless they all do it, which would be hilarious.

I don't think that'll be a problem as long as the Town works together. This setup is all about teamwork and coordination. Individually, we are strong, but if we combine our strength, we'll be unstoppable.

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why would one mafia acting alone be harder to catch than multiple ones? Wouldn't we still have make sure all of them are eliminated?

A strategy the Mafia can perform is one member accusing its teammates and getting them lynched. That person will gain the Town's trust, everyone at the end votes, and the Town loses.

We also should consider the idea of a recruitment mafia/3rd party, considering the win con.

"I am the wings of despair. I am the breath of ruin. I am the fell dragon, Grima. Pay me the respect I am due, and I promise you a painless death."

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Hey, everyone. Sorry I haven't been around much yet, I had Memorial Day plans. But I am here and playing, and will be back within the next 12 hours to read everything over more closely and offer my thoughts.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Shuhan View Post
    We also should consider the idea of a recruitment mafia/3rd party, considering the win con.
    What do you mean by recruitment mafia?
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information