+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: My Hero Academia II - Harvey Birdman, Hero at Law

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - A Horikoshi series that actually made it to a second thread

Why bother with anything then? Screw those suckers helping old people and children cross the street too.

Selling food that is past it's expiration date is a public health hazard and a shady business practice.
    Gentle tried to be comic-book-heroic when he was younger and caused more harm than good so in order as to not interfere with those situations he decided to tackle small stuff that's often in the blind spot.
    And his plan to hurt the business was to expose them. Since he's not a big newspaper but a youtuber with a small view count it didn't really work as planned but what else was he to do? Burn down the store?

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - A Horikoshi series that actually made it to a second thread

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    Why bother with anything then? Screw those suckers helping old people and children cross the street too.

Selling food that is past it's expiration date is a public health hazard and a shady business practice.
    Gentle tried to be comic-book-heroic when he was younger and caused more harm than good so in order as to not interfere with those situations he decided to tackle small stuff that's often in the blind spot.
    And his plan to hurt the business was to expose them. Since he's not a big newspaper but a youtuber with a small view count it didn't really work as planned but what else was he to do? Burn down the store?
    Well, he should have at least taken the money he tried to rob.

You don't need to be a supervillain to expose shady businesses. Any run-of-the-mill blogger could do that.

But he never tried to rob anyone nor does he see himself as a supervillain.

He's the gentle criminal, he's a vigilante l Robin Hood- doing actions labbeled as crimes but in order to help the common folk.
    And he is a vlogger.

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    But he never tried to rob anyone nor does he see himself as a supervillain.

He's the gentle criminal, he's a vigilante l Robin Hood- doing actions labbeled as crimes but in order to help the common folk.
    And he is a vlogger.
    Truly the ultimate villain.

I mean, it could be worse. Gentle could be trying something actually malicious with his internet videos, like trademarking the word React and Reaction videos

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

He could be filming dead people in the suicide forest, and cracking up that "lol he's dead haha"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

I feel like Gentle + La Brava needed needed a bit more time in the spotlight. Needed their flashbacks to be a bit longer, so that we explore a little more why they went this route. Needed some more present-day actions to show how they really affect society and what they think of it. Needed to show us a bit more of their plans regarding the festival, so we could be slightly more on Deku's side here. In the end, I think this was just a side dish. This was not supposed to be a grand arc with a super bad villain that needed to be taken down in order to save someone. It was a small time villain who was going to ruin the festival that everyone just wanted to enjoy for once (enough villain attacks on UA events, already!) and Deku happened to be there to stop him. It was his first victory without busting his arms/legs, which is a big deal. And at the end, Gente happened to be... gentle towards Izuku. Aknowledge his defeat and not only save Deku from trouble (thus keeping the festival going) but also protecting La Brava from being jailed like him. It was a fine side story to me. The fight itself looked damn good, showcasing the various moves Deku can now use and how he's evolved thus far. I hope some other classmates get to shine in the upcoming arc, whatever it ends up being. I also hope Gentle and La Brava get to play a part in the future, it should make their appearance here more worthwhile.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

Hm, can't say I was too happy about this chapter, because I really didn't like seeing Gentle get absolutely nothing but punishment after all his efforts... but then again, after thinking about it, I've finally come to understand, this might be the point. It's not satisfying for us, because at the same time, it can't be a satisfying win for Deku either. He managed his goal, saved the festival, and beat a strong opponent, but he had to crush the aspirations of someone who came from a really similar place as him, and more importantly, in doing so, he pretty much did the same to La Brava. The fact that not every battle can be as easy as Good, Upstanding Heroes against Cruel, Dastardly Villains must be a really hard pill to swallow for someone who's lived his whole life trying to be good and upstanding... and, if the series is going where I think it is, is finally starting to realize that he lives in a society that pretty much forces people to fall in one position or another. So, I'll react as Horikoshi intended, and reflect on this chapter with a feeling of bitter acceptance.

That said, I do hope this isn't the end for Gentle and La Brava. They probably won't end up as I wanted and become a recurring Team Rocket pseudomenace, or a pair of unintentional heroes a la Isaac and Miria, but I'm sure there's a place for them anyways, if only as a counterpoint to keep exposing the ugly dark side to hero based societies. After all, if villains like Gentle aren't around to expose the faults of seemingly law-abiding people, who will?

Now this has gotten me thinking, has All Might also been confronted with these dilemmas? Would be interesting to see his take on it if he has... and grimly compelling, if he hasn't.

The old saying that history is written by the victor really comes into play on that fight. In a war/fight both sides come into it thinking they are right, but the side that emerges victorious is the one to tell the story of what happened. No matter how absurd their belief, they can make it seem as though they were right all along.

Gentle had his reasons and his beliefs. Midoriya did too. Modoriya won. For one to win, the other must lose. Honestly Gentle wasn't innocent. He wanted to ruin the festival regardless of the outcome to get his point across. I don't feel sorry for him in that regard.
    Life flows on. I'd just go with it if I were me.

Just a reminder: Gentle's plan - whatever it was - involved him sneaking in undetected, doing *something*, and then leaving, still undetected. The implication being something like...leaving a message that people would find later. Like "Mwahaha Gentle Criminal was here! You need better security, suckers." The goal was explicitly NOT to hurt anyone or even disrupt the festival.

He explains this to Izuku at the construction site, and Izuku responds by saying "that'd be worse, actually!" presumably because then the school would get in trouble with the National Police Secretary guy for not being safe enough, and they'd never be allowed to do anything fun again (Midnight mentioned how hard Nezu had to fight for permission to carry on with the festival).

Of course it's likely that Gentle would've been foiled somewhere else along the way, but if we're strictly talking about his *intentions*...it was never "I want to get this kiddie carnival cancelled."

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, but doesn't that make Deku's position even worse? Like, "I don't want it to come out that there might be a security fault, because my school would be held accountable for not doing a good enough job and that would be bad for me personally"?

I mean, I'm conflicted because of the emotional investment in the festival and whatnot, and I certainly don't think Izuku should just react like, "oh nevermind carry on then," but it does seem like he's willfully overlooking the bigger picture here. OH HEY that's a thing he's done before and has been called out as such, I wonder if that'll come up again here.

I for one think we may have witnessed the origin of the supervillain La Brava. I can't help but think that Gentle's thoughts on Page 14 weren't just for show--I think he'll be proven prescient when La Brava comes back into the story down the road as a real nasty villain to deal with.

Watching her ineffectually bop Deku on the arm and stomp her feet (Viz soundeffects translation) was heartbreaking, though. The most she could do against Izuku's insurmountable super strength was throw all of her rage and desperation at him--and it resulted in a tiny tantrum that he probably couldn't even feel :'-(
    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    He won't disobey if he dies, only if he dies when he dies!
    ***Because the madness that is AP Forums chapter discussions must not perish from the earth***

Just triggering the alarms would have counted as a fail for the school.

Look at it this way, the security net was going to get them at the border, Deku caught them like 2km outside it, if they were detected in the border then all shit would have hit the fan.

Maybe them being detected like 30m outside the school will trigger the failure scenario. Maybe Deku giving his testimony will trigger the fail scenario.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The most interesting part for me here is that Izuku has such an unnuanced perspective during this whole thing.

He could've actually handled this in a much more tactful manner, which as Kylor pointed out, has happened before. He didn't have much... subtlety in his actions when dealing with Overhaul when he first met him and he saw Eri in danger. I really like this little flaw that's been built up here.

Also, even if Gentle was caught, from what we know his possible crimes have been fairly mundane. So his punishment is probably going to be comparatively light.

If Gentle got away with what he was doing here, however, the media would've had a field day and UA's reputation would continue to crumble, which would just be more fuel to the villains. Even if it's not like a super evil thing he's planning, it's kinda inappropriate and could unintentionally cause pretty big trouble.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; April 23rd, 2018 at 01:10 PM.

Yeah, Gentle's plan was never up to snuff really, and I use that as my example for Gentle not being the brightest of bulbs. The vast majority of his plan consisted of just how he was going to have a tea time; his assault on UA was more a wander in and cause general mischief affair instead of a full-fledged machination with any great complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    The most interesting part for me here is that Izuku has such an unnuanced perspective during this whole thing.

He could've actually handled this in a much more tactful manner, which as Kylor pointed out, has happened before. He didn't have much... subtlety in his actions when dealing with Overhaul when he first met him and he saw Eri in danger. I really like this little flaw that's been built up here.

Also, even if Gentle was caught, from what we know his possible crimes have been fairly mundane. So his punishment is probably going to be comparatively light.

If Gentle got away with what he was doing here, however, the media would've had a field day and UA's reputation would continue to crumble, which would just be more fuel to the villains. Even if it's not like a super evil thing he's planning, it's kinda inappropriate and could unintentionally cause pretty big trouble.

Just as attacking police and resisting arrest in our universe carries rather severe repercussions, I would suspect that assaulting a hero would carry at least a commensurate risk. Gentle won't just receive a stiff fine and a slap on the wrist in community service; he will likely actually serve prison time. Presumably, the reason for his "hiding" the fight for La Brava's sake was because of these consequences; not quite sure how La Brava won't be implicated in his earlier fights with other pro-heroes, but that's another matter. I'm curious to see where the series will take Gentle, but I am cautiously optimistic that he will appear later in the series either as a full-fledged villain or as a reformed vigilante (hero?). Speaking of Vigilante, Gentle's and La Brava's backstory may receive the Stain treatment where they are expanded on in the spin-off. Eh, time will tell.

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kylor View Post
    I mean, I'm conflicted because of the emotional investment in the festival and whatnot, and I certainly don't think Izuku should just react like, "oh nevermind carry on then," but it does seem like he's willfully overlooking the bigger picture here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    He could've actually handled this in a much more tactful manner, which as Kylor pointed out, has happened before.
    Forgive me if I've missed something, but what else could Deku have done other than fight Gentle & La Brava, let them go, or contact the authorities?

That's what I was thinking. Did Deku know exactly what they planned to do, or did he just think they were planning to crash what is supposed to be a highly secured event? If he didn't know anything other than that, he had every right to be worried.

Non sequitur: Had an awesome dream where Ashido was doing her "skate on acid" thing, only she was doing it like speed-skate style to go after bad guys. Now I want to see that.

Discovered Stowaway BlackPirate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Just a reminder: Gentle's plan - whatever it was - involved him sneaking in undetected, doing *something*, and then leaving, still undetected. The implication being something like...leaving a message that people would find later. Like "Mwahaha Gentle Criminal was here! You need better security, suckers." The goal was explicitly NOT to hurt anyone or even disrupt the festival.
    I think his plan amounted to:

Step 1: Drink tea
    Step 2: Invade U.A.
    Step 4: FAME!!!

I don't think he had any actual idea about what he would do once inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirxxx View Post
    I for one think we may have witnessed the origin of the supervillain La Brava. I can't help but think that Gentle's thoughts on Page 14 weren't just for show--I think he'll be proven prescient when La Brava comes back into the story down the road as a real nasty villain to deal with.

Watching her ineffectually bop Deku on the arm and stomp her feet (Viz soundeffects translation) was heartbreaking, though. The most she could do against Izuku's insurmountable super strength was throw all of her rage and desperation at him--and it resulted in a tiny tantrum that he probably couldn't even feel :'-(
    Yeah. I said it before, but I think she will join the League of Villains in exchange for their help to free Gentle. And with her hacking skills she will help them to breach Tartarus.

Quote Originally Posted by No swords style best style View Post
    Forgive me if I've missed something, but what else could Deku have done other than fight Gentle & La Brava, let them go, or contact the authorities?
    You're right. There's actually not much of a choice if you think about it. He didn't know the extent of what Gentle was planning and going back and telling everyone might not have been the best choice, so one course of action was to stop him. His reckless attitude worked out fine here.

It's more like what direction the story seems to be nudging toward when looking at what happened with Overhaul, too. Deku's big hero quality is that he jumps into action with not really thinking much and now that we've explored the good parts of that, we might start exploring the bad parts of it. Which is very neat.

Also, I mentioned "comparatively" because while Gentle will probably get some punishment, it won't be as severe as what Overhaul or Shigaraki could possibly get (if the former would have actually stayed alive and caught and if the latter were caught, period). Once again, he serms like a much lower level "villain", which, again, I think is a nice change of pace. This arc strikes me as a simple breather arc so a less serious threat is appropriate.

This arc.. also feels kind of fillery right now. What would be the purpose in the grand scheme of things if you look at it right now? That's why I feel like there might be some twist to this.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; April 23rd, 2018 at 10:15 PM.

I dunno if this link will work. But someone was doing an animation exercise. It's so good.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adve...6852005042302/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information