+ Reply to Thread
Page 349 of 380 FirstFirst ... 249 299 339 347 348 349 350 351 359 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,980 of 7583

Thread: My Hero Academia II - A true Hero

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - It Burns

One is not obligated to forgive those who hurt them. One is not obligated to forgive those who oppress them. When legislature is violence all the powerless have if violence of their own, no matter what form that takes. I don't see Deku learning that lesson, nor do I see Horikoshi understanding it if he is seriously going to have Nagant attack Chisaki. Continuing to frame the justified rebellion of the oppressed against the oppressive state as unjustified will only bring about a conservative view message to the story.
    She/Her
    Want to be a girl? Click here!
    What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

Nagant's story would have had more emotional weight if Deku actually looked like he gave a shit. Actually acknowledge that the society he believed in is corrupt and in need of serious reform. Instead he brushed it off with yeah life is complicated, we just have to try harder, anyway time to use more of my cool new quirks! What a waste of a good backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieYBM View Post
    One is not obligated to forgive those who hurt them. One is not obligated to forgive those who oppress them. When legislature is violence all the powerless have if violence of their own, no matter what form that takes. I don't see Deku learning that lesson, nor do I see Horikoshi understanding it if he is seriously going to have Nagant attack Chisaki. Continuing to frame the justified rebellion of the oppressed against the oppressive state as unjustified will only bring about a conservative view message to the story.
    Julie you really think a japanese salaryman is going to flip the bird to their society conservative values? If we had a conservatism-tometer Japan is way on top with US, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Julie you really think a japanese salaryman is going to flip the bird to their society conservative values? If we had a conservatism-tometer Japan is way on top with US, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.
    I think we should expect better, most especially in media aimed at children. I'm being critical of the work, just like anyone else is.
    Last edited by JulieYBM; May 30th, 2021 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo.
    She/Her
    Want to be a girl? Click here!
    What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

Right now there's adrenaline, trying not to get shot to pieces while also trying to close the distance,
    while also listening to what Nagant has to say about her past, which he then has to mentally process and respond to.

I can forgive him being a little abridged in his responses atm,
    especially because he IS like "I do realize, that's why I want to offer my hand".
    Over the series he's become more understanding with motives, and that continues to grow as he learns more information.

I have no doubt that he will one day help reform the system.
    That, to me, is the point of him discovering all of these moral gray patches and changing his thinking over time.
    He didn't seem like he brushed anything aside to me, he seemed like he heard something fucked up,
    then added it to the roster of problems within the system, and re-emphasized that he wants to handle things differently.

To me it all points to him being a driving force behind hero reform, it's just that it's way too early for him to affect that yet.
    Right now he sounds too idealistic, which is why Nagant mocks him for his hero education.

I think the point in this chapter is that he DID give a shit about what he heard,
    and re-iterated that he wants things to change as well.
    The first step he can take (compared to his peers) is to be more gentle and understanding. This has been stated multiple times by himself.
    But obviously, villains will feel condescended to at first.

It's going to be a process, things like this are building him into what he needs to be for the changes to come.
    Heck, this fight isn't even over yet. There's still more exchanges of words to come, and I'm feeling pretty confident that they'll be good.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

So far it seems the most corrupt part of hero society is the comission with their hero/hitmen, the rest of the heroes simply are under the false impression that they maintain peace on their own, therefore they think the system works. Makes me wonder if they were aware of the Endeavorīs stuff and decided to ignore it / cover it up, since making the number two dissapear would raise more questions.

Nagantīs backstory was cool, the page with her young self was really sad to look at, I hope the truth about the HC ends being revealed, maybe by Hawks.

Also, I understand the people saying that Dekuīs words feel empty, but the fact that Nagant said that going back to the status quo isnīt the answer and Deku is willing to try saving Shigaraki are good signals to me, although maybe the series could end like Harry Potter, going back to the status quo without learning a thing, only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinyDogma View Post
    Nagantīs backstory was cool, the page with her young self was really sad to look at
    My favourite part was the PTSD moment of blood appearing on her arm when the kids wanted handshakes.
    It's the stage where a killer starts to see themselves as "impure" and unfit to touch such innocent things.
    Kinda like how Kyros refused to hold or touch Rebecca at first.

Also, I understand the people saying that Dekuīs words feel empty, but the fact that Nagant said that going back to the status quo isnīt the answer and Deku is willing to try saving Shigaraki are good signals to me
    I feel the same. Ever since the fallout of the big battle, and the way hero society started crumbling away,
    I've been super excited about the direction we may be headed in.
    The fact that these topics keep coming up TELLS me that we'll actually address the system and change it at some point.
    It's a matter of when, not if. :)

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

A police state could be interesting to explore but it is already being executed poorly. Allying yourself with a genuine monster like AFO because it would be more "transparent" is laughable. How transparent was he when he manipulated someone into taking part of some crazy experiment to make them stronger so that he could take over their body against their will? It just makes Nagant look like a naive idiot and it took me out of her character right away.

All for One literally experiment and probably have several dead kids in his hands
    i was sympathetic to her up until when she says whatever AfO is trying to do is somehow better
    there's stupidly no logic to her siding with AfO even if she were twisted by the police state thing

and that page with deku saying he'll try harder felt like a looney tunes moment, like was that a gag? It was weak
    I'm not even asking for compelling villains at this point, I just want consistency and logic is that so hard
    Last edited by zeltrax225; May 30th, 2021 at 10:34 AM.

I admit the HSC went WAY too far, but I understand why.

They're not keeping a hero society because they like heroes, they fear the chaos of times before heroes when quirks started emerging. And that was before most of the population had superpowers. And then there's AFO and Destro who I bet were/are two big reasons why the HSC has a zero tolerance policy on anything could hurt heroes' reputations. There's a middle ground somewhere but they certainly haven't found it. Or I should say they don't want to.

NNID: jervinnectar

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    i was sympathetic to her up until when she says whatever AfO is trying to do is somehow better
    From how I got it, she doesn't think the world would be better with AFO in charge, but she is pissed off that she (and a few other people) have to carry the burden of "cleaning" this world so that everyone else can live carefree.

If AFO took over everyone would know the world is shitty and the shitiness would be equally distributed.

Not that I agree with it, but it's how I interpreted her.

Well, waddya know. The story is actually starting to explain why the Hero society isn't all it's cracked up to be.

There's no more oppressive state though, as the people behind it are dead or out of commission. And Nagant is only fighting for another fascist.

For everyone saying her actions are dumb.....

yeah...
    she's been mentally fucked up.
    She doesn't think as completely rationally as your average joe with no traumas and baggage.

It's not unexpected for these kinds of people to make poor decisions.
    That's completely within her scope as a character.
    AFO is also pretty good at offering security to unstable people, like he did with Shiggy.

The only question is whether she can be pulled back from her current path or if she's too far gone.

I liked this chapter. It was was one of those few where I felt the darker side side and response to it was well dosed. The critic felt was something was truly in charge of with the hit squad. You can understand the rational of such hit squad when trying to promote the hero perfect image. And when she had enough she didnt blow up a building to make a point, she just ended up killing someone that was a higher up in the operation.

I think we should expect better, most especially in media aimed at children. I'm being critical of the work, just like anyone else is.
    I hope so, but my expectations of Hori on this matters are low. Were gonna end with a slightly improved status quo.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    There's no more oppressive state though, as the people behind it are dead or out of commission. And Nagant is only fighting for another fascist.
    We see Hillary - the current HSC head - behind her former boss when recruiting Nagant. The very existence of Hawks proves that their modus operant didn't change.

So it looks like Nagant is aiming something at Chisaki in the last page? It's not completely clear. If so, then using him as some kind of hostage makes sense.

I say this because her earlier example of him being a "a victim of this socety" made no sense unless she's just making assumptions. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but Overhaul may literally be the one character in this series who is not a victim of the Hero Society in the slightest. His current state pretty much because of his own bad choices. Either way, I guess that'll be elaborated on next week.

Chisaki is a victim in a sense that he was child rescue from the streets by the yakuza, everything onwards if his doing and shitty decisions out of a twisted sense of loyalty and love.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    I hope so, but my expectations of Hori on this matters are low. Were gonna end with a slightly improved status quo.
    So a realistic scenario then? I'll take it over some fantasy-esque finale where everything is right and flawless.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    So a realistic scenario then? I'll take it over some fantasy-esque finale where everything is right and flawless.
    I don't expect that Deku's generation will solve all of the Hero Society flaws, because the mercantile hero figure will still persist. I expect than to address the roots of the evil, instead of treating every criminal as "being evil for the lulz" of "rotten to the core", Muscular, Rappa, AFO are outliners.

But so far only Deku has been doing something to acknowledge that the system isn't perfect. The rest of the students? No. Maybe Ochako can be counted as a Hero that saves heroes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information