+ Reply to Thread
Page 336 of 337 FirstFirst ... 236 286 326 334 335 336 337 LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,720 of 6740

Thread: My Hero Academia II - It Burns

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - It Burns

Quote Originally Posted by DestinyDogma View Post
    Pretty good chapter, but Natsuo and Fuyumi shouldn´t feel responsable for Touya´s fate, that´s on their parents (mostly Endeavor, as Rei was also a victim) Endy still doesn´t look like a good father to me, neither does look Touya as a kid that was evil from birth.

Also, in hightsight Enji should have teached Touya how to turn down the heat first, since overheating is a big deal even for Endeavor himself.

Lastly, there seems to be a little recton or mistake though, in this chapter Rei´s burning Shoto happens after Touya burning himself, but previously it was stated by Fuyumi that it was the other way around. Hori will most likely clear that up eventually, but for now I guess that Rei being hospitalized happened after Touya´s "death"
    Touya's genetics were the problem. Turning down the heat would make him extra useless cause his body was designed to withstand cold, not heat.

Yeah, the kids shouldn't felt guilty, but they're good kids, so I could see why they might have thought they failed him on some level too.

I think Fuyumi and Natsu feel retroactive guilt, now that they know their older brother is alive and turned into a villain due to the abuse he suffered in their household they think they could've have done more to bond and help Toya.
    The blame lies solely on Enji and Rei.

Touya, it's 3 in the morning, can't your weird incel rants wait until breakfast?

I love Todoroki family storyline. Yes, everything is almost entirely Enji's fault (with some of Touya on his end) but in this chapter the family takes responsibility for themselves even when you could logically blame outside forces, whereas in the same chapter Touya spent this flashback blaming everyone but himself. This family has a positive mindset, whereas Touya's inherently destructive. After all, you can't control other people, but you can typically control yourself.

It's the same dynamic with Shoto after the end of the school festival. He could have cut off his father and focused on being a hero, but no, instead he strives to heal his family inspite of everything. They're trying to better themselves and everyone around them, and it's inspirational that they're making that effort. Enji might get his family back, and it'll solely be because he is lucky that they are better people than him.

Touya was very much a problem child but I like this chapter more in showing how Enji couldnt handle him properly(pretty much always jumping to a dismissive answer everytime and not ignoring him) and where Rei lack inability to stand up up to Flamebeard made Touya have no respect for her. And I think it makes a better showing how Touya trying to impress/connect to his dad and not just being a crazy obsess kid(although he is also that).

It make sense to me that the kids would eleborate scenarios in which they could have avoided their brother going evil. Its someone they are attached to that changed in ways they didnt expect from the time they knew him. I personally don't blame either the mom who was mostly a cowardly prisoner walking on eggshells in the house or the kids who were only kids.

I hope the flower is not a first step towards reconcialition.

Toya was not a problem child, he became one.
    From very early it was made clear to him that he was essential for achieving his father's dream. Training to do so becomes the only father-son bonding experience he has. In both chapter's we also don't see Rei spending time with her kids, implying that was a privilege of Shoto. As soon as he starts to burn himself, his parents thing they only way to make him drop the only connection he has with his father is substitute him for a child with a more adequate quirk to achieve his father's dream. In none of the chapters we see either parent trying to reassure he is not being replaced - as the love for him being replaced - or trying to bond with the kid over other things to drive his interest away from heroics. Fuyumi and Natsu that were soon dropped for not having a fire quirk can't fully understand why the bond with Enji was soo important for Toya - since they didn't had it - he feels disconnected from his own family.

I'm no psychotherapist or therapist, but I would say that - removing the super natural elements - Toya is a text book exemple of a child of two emotional immature adults.

It seems Caleb wont make any more trivia threads because of the harrassing, it sucks a lot, he didnt deserve any of that.

Plenty of people have bad or negligent parents but they dont self harm and try to murder their siblings. I consider this lazy writing.

And there are also plenty of people who do turn to violence as a result of bad/abusive parenting. The Todoroki family has one of each (Touya and Shouta). So I don't consider it lazy writing.

It is an extremely Dabi thing to blow yourself (and the side of a hill) up because the FEMALES in the house don't understand you.

On that note, I wonder how the anti-Endeavour mob are reacting to Touya turning around and laying some blame on Rei as well?

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    It is an extremely Dabi thing to blow yourself (and the side of a hill) up because the FEMALES in the house don't understand you.
    Come now, its explicitly framed as text withiin the story that Touya sets himself ablaze because of the extreme grief of his shitty, shitty dad disgredarding Touyas best efforts to fulfill the purpose the shitty, shitty dad created him for.

I'm honestly surprised that so many people are willing to dismiss Dabi offhand as an inherently "rotten egg" when the story has spent the last chapters taking great pains to track the root cause of all his problems to his parents actions. Yes Dabi acts like an angry misogynist, but if you grow up in a household where your mother was literally traded as goods for the sake of serving Dads ambitions, and Dads ambitions are not just framed as the most important thing in the family, but as the reasons you even exist and have value, the only reasons dad even spends time with you, and you KNOW all this and your mother never really fills the void from your dismissive yet all-important father? The mother who is treated by your shitty yet important dad as a vector for useful chlidren? How will that not fuck your perspectives up royally?

Seriously living your dreams through your children is a baaaaaaaaaaaad idea, it will fuck them up. Share your interests if the kid seems interested sure, but if they don't have the actual desire or ability to pursue said interest then help them find something else more fitting and then support and nurture said interest, don't just dump the kid in favor of another one who has aptitude for your interests and go "Idunno, you figure something out"

What a shitty dad

Endeavor: Yeah you gotta help me Rei, I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    https://i.gyazo.com/c808b76fd34773df...05059a34c2.png

On that note, I wonder how the anti-Endeavour mob are reacting to Touya turning around and laying some blame on Rei as well?
    I mean Touya basically blame everyone so who cares. I'm just hoping this lets rebuild the family doesnt end with Rei and Flamebeard together.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I dont think he burned himself in purpose. It seems like his power got out of his control when Enji didnt show to see the fruits of his efforts. And because his fire is tied to his emotion this ultimate dismissal made a fire he couldnt manage.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Toya was not a problem child, he became one.
    I'm sure that could be said of all problem child or a great majority. Touya got fucked by his parenting but he also was very resilient to any advice or support that wasnt in his pursuit of fufilling his father's goal for him. He had extreme tunnel vision and framed everything with the mindset of if you aint supporting his wish to be the best hero you arent supporting him.

As far as being textbook. I would say he would be textbook if he was an only child or if it was just him and Shoto and could only experience that in his homelife. But he also had 2 other siblings that tried to supportive and help him see things differently but he was so entrenched in his ways that he dismissed anything that did not match it.

His whole perception of value was based in: I'm loved if I fulfill the conditions to live my parent dream through me.
    Fuyumi and Natsuo didn't have that condition placed upon them, Enji was always mostly distant towards them.
    Natsuo said that Enji is basically a stranger to him. Enji only mostly interacted with kids through training, and only Toya and Shoto.

Uh...yeah, people do self-harm from having shitty parents.

They definitely, definitely do.
    She/Her | If you want to be a girl you can just be a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I mean Touya basically blame everyone so who cares.
    I was mainly referring to the idea that, ever since we first heard about their family situation a long-ass time ago,
    Rei was somewhat treated like a fandom darling despite her freakout.
    It was treated with understanding because when an abused mind eventually snaps, it's possible for crazy shit to happen.

Then there was a consistent mood in the fanbase of "poor sweet Rei, hope she can reconnect with Shouto. Endeavor DIE." and that was the extent of it.
    The overriding vibe around their family among fans has always been "Rei good, Endy bad".

So on that front, I assume that there are some folks out there frothing at the mouth that Rei was partially blamed for the Dabi stuff.
    A kind of "HOW DARE YOU HORI, SHE'S AN ABUSE VICTIM AND YOU'RE LETTING HER TAKE FAULT, IT'S 100% ENDEAVOUR YOU JERK! STOP VICTIM BLAMING!" response.

Those are the people I was wondering about lol

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

The fault is still mostly on Enji's court, but Rei is not scot free on this too.

Exactly, which is why I wonder aloud about the reactions of those who've always put Rei on a pedestal as a blameless victim.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information