+ Reply to Thread
Page 232 of 232 FirstFirst ... 132 182 222 230 231 232
Results 4,621 to 4,636 of 4636

Thread: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

People get used to the happy normal too quickly. That’s why extremist with retro ideologies from all sides of the spectrum keep rising.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Aggravator via Destiny darktravis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Meh, and Deku continues to get Bullshit power ups. Flight has never been a game changer in these type of stories, so I wonder why the author chose to go that route
    Probably because of that very reason you just said; because it's not a game changer.

So far the quirks have been presented as supportive and not very strong on their own. Float itself is simply provides an ability Deku would have eventually gotten anyway as he gets closer to 100%, only sooner and less dangerous to the surroundings.
    Last edited by darktravis; January 20th, 2020 at 06:58 AM.

I think I figured out Nana's hero name by her belt buckle. ∀ is a mathematical symbol meaning for all. If that's true then All Might is a name Toshinori chose to honor his master.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    So aside from floating did we learn any other quirk? Also how the hell does All might know what power Deku would get next since that never happened to him and they are not appearing in order?
    I think he was guessing, probably feeling nostalgic about Nana.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    A fair interpretation, but still, heroes getting killed that often and that easily feels like it should have created a cultural mood of fear that would probably have lasted a little while after the threat was actually gone. I think it would be a cool angle to see a society recovering from that kind of thing as a backdrop to the main story.

But there's really a lot we don't know about that period in history. Feels pretty likely All For One was a law enforcement issue mainly, big in the underworld, a major concern for the law enforcement community, but something normal people figured was happening far away and would never affect them, like most real world big name terrorists or crime kingpins. Pretty sure Vigilantes is meant to be set while AFO was active and people there aren't worrying about him too much in their day to day lives. So I'm not gonna call the lack of social fallout a hole in the story or anything like that, I just thought it would have been a neat alternate approach.
    I think Vigilantes takes place after All Might and AFO had their first big fight. It would help explain why his organization started messing with creating artificial beings.

But, yeah, heroes losing their quirks should be a big issue for the public. A major character had it happen to him in Vigilantes but the possible fallout was never addressed. He just retired. And, we now know Giganto was hunting heroes in the past to give their quirks to AFO. I'm thinking the Hero Safety Commission and government in general is purposefully keeping quiet about this stuff and just asking the hero victims to silently retire.

NNID: jervinnectar

I'm gonna be honest, the talk in the latest chapter of how things were when All for One was active and his prime makes a lot of the series' worldbuilding up to this point feel like a wee bit of a lost opportunity.

Like, saying that having a strong quirk makes a person such a target for him they had to cultivate One for All through people with understated or no quirk at all reads to me like it was a very real and omnipresent risk that people were being targeted and robbed by this big, well-known villain as recently as five years ago. In that kind of scenario, if you'd been born with a strong or flashy quirk, wouldn't you be terrified of showing it off and being known for it? Rather than encouraging pride and making a quirk part of your identity, wouldn't parents encourage their kids to be secretive about their powers and stay out of the spotlight to avoid being targeted? Five years is not a long enough time for a culture to forget what it's like to live that way. Not even close.
    It has been said in the series that AFO was regarded as a myth by some, the dude is probably 150+, give that Toshinori should be at least 10 years older than Endy, and that Nana is from the same generation of Gran Torino, that would put the seventh user gaining OFA around 70 years ago, lets give a rough estimate that the other users died in their late to mid twenties, than AFO and his brother were alive around 220 years ago. There's no chance that a guy live AFO doing his business in broad day light for 50 years wouldn't grant him a government hunt. At some point he begun operating in the shadows.

And Kota's backstory kind establishes that a hero dying in the line of duty is not uncommon.

Damn Nana, gorgeous panel.

Glad we got our timeskip after all, just took a bit longer than we thought. Depending on its handled, this could make or break the series IMO.

Also is anyone actually into Deku and Bakugo's current dynamic? It just feels unsettling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    there's a lot of info going on in this chapter but what really got me was how buff Nana was in that flashback panel don't tone that down when you get to it, anime, I'll be upset
    It absolutely will, the anime has a bad track record with stuff like that.

When does school end in Japan?

I'm gonna be honest, the talk in the latest chapter of how things were when All for One was active and his prime makes a lot of the series' worldbuilding up to this point feel like a wee bit of a lost opportunity.

Like, saying that having a strong quirk makes a person such a target for him they had to cultivate One for All through people with understated or no quirk at all reads to me like it was a very real and omnipresent risk that people were being targeted and robbed by this big, well-known villain as recently as five years ago. In that kind of scenario, if you'd been born with a strong or flashy quirk, wouldn't you be terrified of showing it off and being known for it? Rather than encouraging pride and making a quirk part of your identity, wouldn't parents encourage their kids to be secretive about their powers and stay out of the spotlight to avoid being targeted? Five years is not a long enough time for a culture to forget what it's like to live that way. Not even close.

Imagine an alternative Hero Aca universe that's going through its first generation of young adults after this protracted war with the quirk-stealing big bad. All Might has stepped up and won the day and he's confident in his power. He's happy to show off what he's able to do to protect the world and people are starting to come out of their shells and feel good about having quirks again. Some of the old timers tell the kids to be more humble and conservative just in case, but the young heroes don't remember living in fear the way the adults do. UA's results are respected, but it's attitude - the Plus Ultra, exceptionalist way of thinking - is frowned on. It's something of a counterculture for the school to be so proud and so public, but it's appealing to the young ones who don't see why they should have to hide themselves. Imagine a society in the middle of the tumultuous process of social change, one that's recovering from a significant shared trauma.

Imagine AU Deku feeling even more conflicted about taking One for All because of the enormous social implications of one man taking another's quirk. Without All Might's power to protect them, how can his world feel like they're able to safely explore their quirks? How would you feel to be the one to take that away and risk being too weak to carry it forward?

Horikoshi could have set up some really interesting social and intergenrational conflicts if he'd taken the chance to really think about how All for One affected the culture he terrorised, and having the effects of his reign in the story from an early stage would have been great foreshadowing for his return and better advance setup for all the stuff we're currently learning. Ah well, he's still doing a great job, I just had a flash of inspiration from these latest revelations.
    We have more than enough dystopia story. 90% of fantasy story is secretly a dystopia. Lets just let My hero be a functioning society.

The Japanese school year starts in April and ends in March.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Meh, and Deku continues to get Bullshit power ups. Flight has never been a game changer in these type of stories, so I wonder why the author chose to go that route.
    More a shoutout to Superman than an intended game changer, I think. Flight was hardly Supes strongest power, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Damn Nana, gorgeous panel.

Glad we got our timeskip after all, just took a bit longer than we thought. Depending on its handled, this could make or break the series IMO.

Also is anyone actually into Deku and Bakugo's current dynamic? It just feels unsettling to me.

It absolutely will, the anime has a bad track record with stuff like that.
    It's definitely weird. But it seems more normal for Bakugo in how he treats everyone. Instead of overly hostile and flat out hating him. He's just a weird dude (I think Horikoshi just likes drawing extreme faces) and Deku isn't acting afraid. He's taking it more in stride like Todoroki does.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

I'm rapidly getting the sense that Katsuki really can't comprehend a relationship where Izuku is his equal or honestly his better so he defaults to the "insult person for no reason" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post

I think Vigilantes takes place after All Might and AFO had their first big fight. It would help explain why his organization started messing with creating artificial beings.

But, yeah, heroes losing their quirks should be a big issue for the public. A major character had it happen to him in Vigilantes but the possible fallout was never addressed. He just retired. And, we now know Giganto was hunting heroes in the past to give their quirks to AFO. I'm thinking the Hero Safety Commission and government in general is purposefully keeping quiet about this stuff and just asking the hero victims to silently retire.
    My guess is that Vigilantes is at least 5 years ago but probably a little more, but it's really circumstantial unless I've missed an official timeline statement somewhere. But yeah, it seems they're really good at keeping things under wraps and controlling panics in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    It has been said in the series that AFO was regarded as a myth by some, the dude is probably 150+, give that Toshinori should be at least 10 years older than Endy, and that Nana is from the same generation of Gran Torino, that would put the seventh user gaining OFA around 70 years ago, lets give a rough estimate that the other users died in their late to mid twenties, than AFO and his brother were alive around 220 years ago. There's no chance that a guy live AFO doing his business in broad day light for 50 years wouldn't grant him a government hunt. At some point he begun operating in the shadows.

And Kota's backstory kind establishes that a hero dying in the line of duty is not uncommon.
    These are excellent points. Man, I really hadn't thought in detail about how old AFO would have to be. That's incredible, and I'd love to see it acknowledged or laid out in canon at some point.

We have more than enough dystopia story. 90% of fantasy story is secretly a dystopia. Lets just let My hero be a functioning society.
    A dystopia would be setting it while AFO was at his peak, and assuming he was a public tyrant, not an underworld figure. I reckon a society in the process of recovering from a dystopia and trying not to fall back into one would be a unique take to explore.

A dystopia would be setting it while AFO was at his peak, and assuming he was a public tyrant, not an underworld figure. I reckon a society in the process of recovering from a dystopia and trying not to fall back into one would be a unique take to explore.
    Dystopias are like the favorite take on any stories that are supposed to represent the future of humanity. I like the MHA one because for once it seems things worked out. The how about the society live in fear of going to the dark ages and is 2 steps from crumbling doesn't especially appeal to me since to me that is the usual pattern of those stories.

Dystopias are like the favorite take on any stories that are supposed to represent the future of humanity. I like the MHA one because for once it seems things worked out. The how about the society live in fear of going to the dark ages and is 2 steps from crumbling doesn't especially appeal to me since to me that is the usual pattern of those stories.
    That's totally fair. To me, Hero Aca's worldbuilding can sometimes feel a little too basic. The number of OFA predecessors and all the stuff discussed with AFO's age suggest quirks have been a thing for well over a hundred years, but the setting is mainly 'real world but people have powers.' I'm searching for some wider implications and alternate history stuff because I like seeing those kinds of layers. You're not wrong that a relatively happy alternate history is strong change of pace though.

That's totally fair. To me, Hero Aca's worldbuilding can sometimes feel a little too basic. The number of OFA predecessors and all the stuff discussed with AFO's age suggest quirks have been a thing for well over a hundred years, but the setting is mainly 'real world but people have powers.' I'm searching for some wider implications and alternate history stuff because I like seeing those kinds of layers. You're not wrong that a relatively happy alternate history is strong change of pace though.
    My guess, is that during the first 50 years of quirks appearing, they went from "oh this shinning baby sure is a weird occurrence" to full Reverend Stryker mode, segregating, hunting, dissecting, weaponizing and finally went of full sentinel mode, which would explain the sassy robots UA has, finally resulting in a world war or a great quirk revolution. That may be what lead to the non weaponization of quirk (i.e. the police force not brandishing quirk in the line of duty) and further to quirk using vigilantes helping the police to fight quirk related crimes, thus the Rhode Island Vigilantes' Law quote in well Vigilantes.
    Last edited by pariston_hill; January 21st, 2020 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Stupid New England small states and my memory

Chapters 12 and 13 of Vigilantes offers a little history on the hero system if anyone's interested.

The gist of it is the government in Rhode Island in the US created the first hero system, only selecting a few vigs out of many to become official heroes (the rest were labeled criminals). The deciding factor was their popularity with the public figuring heroes should be people who are trusted by the public.

If X-Men taught me anything is that there's some really good story potential in the first 20 or so years quirks manifested. MHA is basically a world where the X-Men win. Or, Magneto, depending how you look at it.

NNID: jervinnectar

The x men wining with magneto and striker being right about the end of humanity.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information