+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 79 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: My Hero Academia II - Harvey Birdman, Hero at Law

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - A Horikoshi series that actually made it to a second thread

Ochako's whole motivation isn't solely around her crush. She acknowledged that but she wanted to focus on being a better hero for herself and her parents. It's a bit blurry cause Deku is someone she admires purely for his can do attitude.

Fujoshis have multiple targets in this lol. Bakugou seems to be the prime real estate.

Even though I'm skeptical about the treatment the ladies get I think this series is still new enough where we can have the ladies get developed. It probably won't be on a massive level because there's so many characters in class A alone. We still know very little about most of the dudes, and Invisible girl. It feels like only a quarter got any development. Iida got his early but has kinda melted into the background.

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - A Horikoshi series that actually made it to a second thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Jirou does have a small arc in this. She starts off considering music just a hobby that's mostly for herself, reluctant to share it with others because she doesn't see any greater importance to it. Jirou agrees to perform out of a sense of duty to her friends, but it's not until this most recent chapter that she really considers the positive impact music can have on others. It's kind of a building confidence thing and kind of a reflection on the nature of heroism.

It's reasonable to think Jirou will be more open about her love of music moving forward, and might even incorporate music into her costume.
    Oh yeah, she has been kind of embarrassed/reserved about her interest in music when it's been brought up. I forgot that. I just love the enthusiasm her character expressed this chapter. There's something really likeable about that to me.

The problem lies more in having a 30+ character roster to develop (and that's just the main group). Considering everything, it actually does a very good job.

After this chapter I must say, Mineta is one of the most realistic teenage boys ever despicted in fiction.
    Dude needs to calm down a bit.

Spoiler:

Gentle redemption incoming.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    A gorilla?
    A bureaucrat without an animal head? Madness!

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Some thoughts as I read through the chapter:

Spoiler:
    Hop-Hop Eri is adorable, as is Mirio mimicking her body language.

Bakugo is having a Monoma Moment there.

I like that Kirishima's and Tetsutetsu's fist bump clangs.

For a moment I thought there beauty pageant was an *actual* fight. Also wtf was that princess curl tank?

A haunted house in a superhero school sounds like a dangerous idea...

I think that "you'll meet again soon" line from Aizawa is a mistranslation, it's too out of place.

I will be horribly disappointed when the gorilla cop's name ends up not being Freddie. Also La Brava's occupation is La Brava.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    Dude needs to calm down a bit.
    Dude needs to get laid you mean

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Abel View Post
    Dude needs to get laid you mean
    Funnily enough, while digesting the chapter I though it would be a nice character development for Mineta to manage to get a girlfriend and tone it down because he now understood personal relations better.

Deku stepping out of line was addressed just in the way I wanted and Gentle and Loverlover seem to eventually have a second chance at life.

Again, I really like that they weren't these masterminds orchestrating some massive organization, just more "normal" criminals. I think it's a great touch that Loverlover's talent was brought up. It sort of gives a way in which she could return to normalcy.

That was just a fantastic chapter. This mini-arc had a great payoff in the end.

I don't even mind that my Gentle prediction didn't pan out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

I really really REALLY like how Gentle and La Brava are being handled by the cops right now.
    Very good signs for their second chances. I knew they weren't given so much sympathetic backstory for nothing.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Also shoutout to Eri's happy rambling. I'm more in the group that she's very plot-device-y, but that was very much adorable little kid excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    Also shoutout to Eri's happy rambling. I'm more in the group that she's very plot-device-y, but that was very much adorable little kid excitement.
    A fun little detail that was pointed out to be later is that you can see Mirio mimicking some of Eri's body language.

Feels like a scene out of Yotsuba&!

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

Isn't that the mind control dude on the Haunted House?

Spoiler:

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Is it wrong to ship Mineta x La Brava?

They look like they're made for eachother.

Feeling a bit meh about this chapter, the white backgrounds in a lot of the panels stuck out to me. Hopefully Horikoshi gets his art mojo back by the start of the next arc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Is it wrong to ship Mineta x La Brava?

They look like they're made for eachother.

Feeling a bit meh about this chapter, the white backgrounds in a lot of the panels stuck out to me. Hopefully Horikoshi gets his art mojo back by the start of the next arc.
    Mineta is gonna wind up like that hero in Vigilantes that has a slew of lawsuits for sexual harassment. La Brava deserves so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Mineta is gonna wind up like that hero in Vigilantes that has a slew of lawsuits for sexual harassment. La Brava deserves so much better.
    Surely the story suggests a redemption arc for mineta... It'd be very depressing to introduce the character as flawed and have him remain flawed despite it being a school-based manga about growing up. They'll probably fix mineta when he has a growth spurt during inevitable timeskip.
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Surely the story suggests a redemption arc for mineta... It'd be very depressing to introduce the character as flawed and have him remain flawed despite it being a school-based manga about growing up. They'll probably fix mineta when he has a growth spurt during inevitable timeskip.
    The problem is that horikoshi may not necessarily view it as a flaw so much as a gag he thinks he can get more mileage out of than he actually can.

Waldorf:

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    The problem is that horikoshi may not necessarily view it as a flaw so much as a gag he thinks he can get more mileage out of than he actually can.
    I have faith he'll turn the gag upside-down by having Mineta be the reasonable one telling people (Kaminari most likely) to stop being lewd, only to have people get angry at him for hypocrisy, after he becomes the tallest and chillest member of the group post-timeskip.

Why is comparing Naruto to BnHa even a thing?
    BnHa setting and Naruto are completely different.
    BnHA is more grounded, down to earth and plays on a lot of aspects of superhero realism and societal responsibility.
    On the other hand, Naruto literally has no rules and goes batshit crazy.
    Heck it's difficult to compare BnHa world to any other shounen because everything else is either too chaotic or break their own rules all the time.
    The closest I can think of is World Trigger.
    BnHa at least make it' own rules and stick to it best as it can with the rare exceptions of plot devices/deus ex machinas.

An example would be the big brother One Piece, one piece is chaotic as it can be but makes it own rules and plays around with it in a creative way that wows us.
    We know Luffy is aiming to become Pirate King just like we know Deku is going to graduate.
    Except one of them is sailing in a chaotic sea and the other is attending day to day school.
    You can't expect kingdoms to blow up when the protagonist is literally going through a curriculum very much like our world's.
    Given the limits of the world and rules he created, along with a vision to stick to his endgame, I think Horishiki is doing a good job with the arcs without drastically alternating the structure of the storyline.
    What I want to say is there's not much he can do without breaking up the structure of the story because once he does play with other factors besides having the characters following a curriculum (for instance, writing in top-tier villains), it'll go batshit like Naruto and that will be chaotic to the point of nonsense.
    It literally says in the title, this is about academy life more than anything else.

For the girls. All I have to say is the Ochako vs Bakugo fight is still one of my favourites today.
    No, she's not going to become or grow towards a strong 21st century woman, every woman that becomes one =/= character development.
    Her backstory is literally wanting to become a hero to make money. there's no brilliant dream that she has nor does she forces herself to make one.
    Yet she does grow, slow as it might be.
    Someone brought up Hinata and I facepalmed. Hinata fell in love with Naruto when she was a kid even before she hit puberty and she was obsessed with him over one incident.
    I like to link that to psychological trauma but that's another story. Point is, she barely interact with her and him with her. It was to the point of obsession so that she could have something to forget about the terrible life she's living.
    Naruto wasn't the only one working hard during the chunin exams, but she needed something to cling to.
    Throughout Shippuden, she barely did anything except throw her life away for a guy he barely even know well.

On the other hand, Horishiki gives Ochako and Deku time to grow and she only fall in love with him after a period of time and many interactions. It's the friendship-romance development and I would say it's one of the favourite kinds of read.
    Even when she does fall in love, she doesn't let it distract her and because she admires his persistency, she now carries it with her.

Look, I am also disappointed in the lack of girl fights but I still have confidence in Horishiki solely base on the fact that he gives the girls their own interests, panels and moments to shine.
    Not every girl has to be battle crazy or change into a badass armor in a double spread page or slash a meteorite to be badass.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information