+ Reply to Thread
Page 145 of 151 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 3014

Thread: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

I've enjoyed the in between chapters much more than the actual fights. Don't think that's a good thing.

Jaimini's Box translation has been quite a miss lately.

Spoiler:

Literally Goku and Vegeta.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

OP at Jaimini's and MBA at Mangastream, that's the way to go (EDIT: From the non-official alternatives, obviously! Support the author and subscribe at VIZ).

Well, about this week's My Bakugo-is-so-special Academia chapter. Monoma really saved the chapter for me, love this guy and I hope he can show more sides of his personality this time.
    After this somehow tiring sequence of fights, having one focused on Deku (the less charismatic shonen protagonist I follow since post-SoulSociety!Ichigo) is not really making me excited for the next chapters, but AfO appearance hints this last fight may developinto something bigger than a AxB showdown.

Uh oh. That last page is worrying. On top of Gran Torino calling...

All Might and Deku must just be interrupting Bakugo's attitude as he's trying to motivate Deku with his insults and whatnot lol. They both so strange lol. Deku really is too much of a fanboy sometimes. And Bakugo is so strangely tsuntsun with All Might. Getting praised/acknowledged by him always seems to do that.

Oh hey. Monoma can talk like a normal person. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    but AfO appearance hints this last fight may developinto something bigger than a AxB showdown.
    Mind controlled Deku will have another encounter with the First, when he asks him to deliver a message to his older brother. Deku goes into Avatar state, the fight has to be stopped resulting into a draw, and after that. Deku and TOshi will go to Tartarus to confront AFO and deliver the message, but it will be on the day that Gigantomachia will lead the prison break.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Guess the breakout arc is happening in the next arc or two. Could be wrong, but of I'm right, I feel like it's too soon. Shigaraki has barely done anything besides getting a few Quirk nullification bullets and a jacket. Then there's the Gigantomachia and Hawks double agent plot barely being explored. But I am probably getting ahead of myself and a breakout will not happen soon. Or it could fail but get Stain and/or Gentle out.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

I do not understand how Bakugo is like, literally three times more popular than Deku. Yeah, Deku's a little plain but he's standard shonen hero stuff. I understand Deku not coming in first, that happens in a lot of shonens, but by such huge margins is crazy.

I feel Eri did a lot of damage to Dekus character, his peak was probably the 1% million smash vs Muscular.

Anyway back to the latest chapter, im looking forward to the breakout arc, Ochako will somehow screw up and give Class B the win.
    "IF YOU’RE A MAN YOU DON’T CRY ABOUT IT. YOU TAKE LIFE THE UPS AND DOWNS. IF YOU’RE A REAL MAN YA NEVER GO DOWN YA JUST STAY UP"
    - RIC FLAIR

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I do not understand how Bakugo is like, literally three times more popular than Deku. Yeah, Deku's a little plain but he's standard shonen hero stuff. I understand Deku not coming in first, that happens in a lot of shonens, but by such huge margins is crazy.
    I dunno. Maybe it's cause he's mostly just a intelligent sweet mousey dork boy. Normally I'd like that because it's different for a lead. But for me I'm bothered by a few things.

1. He never tried to work on himself before getting All Might's quirk. He shoulda been like Asta. And just working out like crazy to bridge the gap of having no powers.

2. He has to copy and imitate since he doesn't have a whole lot of ideas on how to do the physical stuff naturally. Which is okay to a point. He's observant. But he's so far had to mimic All Might, Bakugo, Iida and Mina. Yeah it's making him better but it kinda irks me he's mostly only come to these conclusions after watching them. After the Bleach fiasco of Ichigo becoming a Gary-Stu, I worry when main characters overtake supporting characters in their specialties.

3. His first real outing against a villain where he showed combat improvements was a bit wonky. A lot of people really liked the villain and wanted Gentle to win lol. But mostly I didn't like how easily Deku came across another villain. Often I find him too nosy.

I think at this point people tend to like Bakugo more cause people are maybe more interested in his mentality changing over Deku becoming a better fighter. At least that's my guess for other people's reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    1. He never tried to work on himself before getting All Might's quirk. He shoulda been like Asta. And just working out like crazy to bridge the gap of having no powers.
    To be fair, there wasn't a gap to be crossed. We are used in shonen manga to have people telling the protagonists "this is impossible" only for them to roll-up their sleeves and prove it isn't, but not here. Being a Hero without a quirk is impossible, that's a dead-end not something one can overcome through hard-work.
    With it being an unchangeable fact, Deku trying to improve his chances of becoming a hero despite lacking a quirk would just make him delusional instead of committed.

We may argue that there is no reason for that, particularly with all the accessible high-tech going around, but that's the stance Horikoshi decided to take so it is what it is.

Izuku could get as swole as he wanted, the moment he ran into a real villain he would've been killed.

To be fair, there wasn't a gap to be crossed. We are used in shonen manga to have people telling the protagonists "this is impossible" only for them to roll-up their sleeves and prove it isn't, but not here. Being a Hero without a quirk is impossible, that's a dead-end not something one can overcome through hard-work.
    With it being an unchangeable fact, Deku trying to improve his chances of becoming a hero despite lacking a quirk would just make him delusional instead of committed.

We may argue that there is no reason for that, particularly with all the accessible high-tech going around, but that's the stance Horikoshi decided to take so it is what it is.
    Being delusional is kinda what all the main shonen leads do though. I get your point. But still...He lacked actual conviction and that drags him down for me.

Knuckleduster exists so he may have actually just been like Kick Ass and gotten hurt a bunch. And been more of a vigilante. But yeah that's not the route Horikoshi wanted to go.

And honestly Deku still gets beat up even with power. So it's not much of a difference if he's fully quirkless or is reckless cause he has a quirk. There's plenty of other kids that don't have physical enhancements but still fight. So it's not that much of a requirement.

The problem with that is support items exist and plenty of Pro-Heroes and villains rely on weapons and have good physical stats through sheer training while their Quirks are only passive status effects. Just look at Aizawa, Stain, Hatsume, Shinso, Toga, Knuckleduster, etc. These characters existing poke holes in Deku's intro arc conflict. That is what separates Deku's plight from a character like Rock Lee's in worldbuilding validity.

Add in how he did not at least train before the series started like Rock Lee did and Deku's aspiration dedication looks like a joke. Did he really think he was going to close the gap by JUST being smart? That's complacent at best and delusional at worst.

You can tell how this inconsistency comes from the editors making Horikoshi switch from Deku being a Tony Stark to being a Mr. Incredible.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Izuku could get as swole as he wanted, the moment he ran into a real villain he would've been killed.
    Case in point, Muscular. Izuku broke his hand and all the bones in his arm to defeat a villain that was way above his league.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

The Muscular example does not really work when there are heroes for all sorts of specialties and situations. It's not just about being a straight-up Avenger kicking villain's asses left and right. There are sidekicks, there are rescuers, there are heroes who handle small street-level threats, there are teams, there are covert agents, there are support item manufacturers, etc.

If Ojiro, a guy who just has an ugly looking tail, could qualify as being hero material, there's no real excuse for Deku. Don't act like Muscular wouldn't atomize Ojiro with a finger flick. Deku still has a high risk of failing in the field with his genetic disadvantage, but the series went out of its way to beat our heads over and over with "IT'S IMPOSSIBRU" over and over again as if no one has ever done something like that before.

If the series treated handled Chapter 1 by toning down the shonen underdog cliche to being more nuanced or criticized Deku for not training and only being a naive fanboy using his Quirklessness as an excuse or went with the Batman idea and had Support Items and physical stat showings more grounded, the conflict would flow better in the long term. Although it would make getting One for All look like cheating rather than gaining any chance at heroism to begin with.
    Last edited by Count Mario; December 7th, 2018 at 09:39 AM.

Spoiler:

One part of bakugo's popularity is that Anti-heros are popular these days. Also in general characters with flaws are more enticing to most people. This is not to say that Deku is not flawed, but his flaw is one that people get less excited about (low self esteem) in shonen series.

On a more personal opinion style, Deku is less exciting as he was essentially given his world's superman's power. The first chapter of the manga says this is how I became a top hero, and that gives people the idea of manifest destiny. I think it just takes away the excitement knowing he will make it to the top.
    Life flows on. I'd just go with it if I were me.

Secretly give Monoma the voice changer. Boom, Class B wins. Well, it'll be a factor at least.

Gigantomachia must be insanely powerful if he can just repeatedly show up and get away. But, it sounds like he's working alone. He needs Shiggy. Not sure what's up with AFO sensing the First, but Shigaraki successfully breaking in prison might be his next big win. But, I don't see AFO doing anything but telling Shigaraki about his brother rumblings and passing him a quirk or two. His role in the story, like All Might, is more mentor-like. Do agree with whoever said Stain is getting freed (along with Black Mist assuming he's there). I don't think Gentle is dangerous enough for Tartarus unless the police just bring everyone there.

That line about AFO having agents everywhere could foreshadow a traitor in the government. The good and bad guys having a mole in each other's organization could be fun. Especially, if that person already told Shiggy about Hawks true intentions.

NNID: jervinnectar

The problem is there is not enough arcs that develops Deku, he should not feel static but he does at times.
    He's the nice guy who occasionally does bad ass things but that gets old fast when those times were the only times that he shines.
    It doesn't help that the way he tackles issue feels so messiah like that we've seen it so many times already somewhere else.
    He's not enough to carry this series.
    He lacks demons inside him and he also lack a really strong driving force considering that he is no longer the underdog.

We've seen a lot of development in Deku's self-confidence but not necessarily in other aspects of his personality. See the changes in his interactions with Bakugou- he's not exactly standing up for himself, but he's also not cowering or getting pushed around. Likewise, compare his attitude when encountering a villain from USJ to Muscular to Gentle. He stopped panicking, considers his capabilities with confidence, and takes care of the problem while still keeping his analytical nature. Eschewing calling for backup just because it will mess up a school event is a pretty baller move.

Yes, the Gentle fight is my favorite fight of his and it's not close.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information