+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24
Results 461 to 471 of 471

Thread: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

  1. #461

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedron View Post
    Yes, because it was him doing the action:

    "seemingly ruling out of the equation a side character like Wadatsumi and then bringing him up to resolve it isn't certainly the most pleasing storytelling device, to say the least. Especially considering this looked a little more substantial than the usual weekly cliffhanger.
    It's totally reasonable to be disappointed by it."

    I'm not talking about what could makesense in the story or whatnot, I'm talking about the quality of the storytelling.

    Fishmen would have been fine (they still should've done something better than the switcheroo though) but Wadatsumi doing all the work it's just weak.

    Actually, tecnically the fishmen were part of the resolution since they still changed the currents, but they weren't part of he main answer: "how did the Sunny survive/avoid that blast?", thus the disappointment.
    But he was not out equation ,we have nothing that showed that he was , when someone throws boiling water on top you the first reaction would be screaming and then finding way to cool off , heck Watatsumi has prior experience of being "cooked" nevermind that he can reach low temperture water with ease ,we see him diving in chapter 900 .

    "Wadatsumi doing all the work it's just weak."
    Why? He wanted to repay Jinbey for the trouble he caused in fishmen island and he is the only being there that can manhandle ships with relative ease ,good portion side characters in One piece have played much grander rule that is usual in other stories we have mutiple examples of this in One Piece, having focus on Wadatsumi shoudn't be weird or out of place.
    But it seems that Wadatsumi is too much side character to actually be acting force in the story .

    What makes sense in story should be important to you since it ties with quality of storytelling.
    What a person finds to be a good storytelling method is subjective but for me atleast as long author uses what is present in story be either a place or a character or a thing without breaking rules establish before he is doing a good job and if he (author) can do it in way that we can't preditc the outcome even better ,that happened with this chapter atleast for me ,i thought that Wadatsumi would be a key part of strawhats escape but not the how, i was pleasantly suprised and glad that he played bigger role.

    I'm glad we got more out of Wadatsumi and i hope in future we get more, he can tag team with Surume i don't know when or how but i hope it happens.


  2. #462
    21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RamistaR View Post
    We didn't know shit about the Mobydick yet I really got the feels when Whitebeard gave his farewell to his ship.
    We saw tons of adventure of the Fishman Pirates on their ship and Oda just destroyed it just to have a ship burning in last week's cliffhanger.....It didn't even protected the sunny in any way and didn't fool the enemy for more than 2 seconds. And none of the fishman seem to give a fuck.
    They do seem to be ready to fight to the death, so I guess I can understand why they burned the boat, but yes, it does seem a bit off.

  3. #463

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RamistaR View Post
    We didn't know shit about the Mobydick yet I really got the feels when Whitebeard gave his farewell to his ship.
    We saw tons of adventure of the Fishman Pirates on their ship and Oda just destroyed it just to have a ship burning in last week's cliffhanger.....It didn't even protected the sunny in any way and didn't fool the enemy for more than 2 seconds. And none of the fishman seem to give a fuck.
    That's quite harsh.

    They already said they are prepared to die ,basically sink with the ship ,not mention they have Fisher Tiger mark on their flesh.
    Those adventures focus more on mark than their ship.
    And the ship sacrifice allow the Sunny to gain some distance ,it was gamble they had zero prep time.


  4. #464

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    It seems like it's just nitpicking at that point to criticize Wadatsumi, the largest out of all of them, for being the one who "did all the work". Of course he'd be the most effective at pulling the Sunny down. It's not even necessarily accurate if you wanna be technical about it, since Aladine ordered him to do it anyways.
    You're right, so tecnically he didn't do all that by himself.
    But he's still the one who practically saved the Sunny and the reason why Aladdin's plan existed to begin with. Even if Wadatsumi technically didn't do all the work, Aladdin is still not the main focus. That's the reason why nobody reading the chapter was never ever under the impression that Aladdin was the real answer to the cliffhanger. I can't believe that reading the chapter you were like: "Oh so that was it! It was Aladdin all along!"
    That's what matters, again, we are talking about the writing.

    But we can say that Aladdin was as involved as Wada if you prefer, that doesn't change a thing about how underwhelming and rushed the solution was.
    Even if it was Aladdin the one to somehow save the Sunny there still should've been a really clever idea or at least an emotional moment that should've been directly involved with the question: "how did the Sunny survive the blast?".
    "Switch and put into mouth" is not a very good answer, it's not very good writing. "Put into mouth" can work but must be paired with something better than "Switch".

    And who cares if the reason why Wadatsumi was the one to do it is bacause he's the largest? That doesn't make the solution any better.


    This probably looks like nitpicking because you guys are making me over elaborate something that should be very simple and very obvious:

    Wadatsumi [and Aladdin yelling at him what he has to do, or even Aladdin doing half of the work if you like, whatever] as the answer to last panel of chapter 900, is weak.

  5. #465

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    It looks like nitpicking because, well, I dunno... it is IMO.

    You explained why you didn't like it. I get that, I see most of where you and others are coming from in general. I just felt that that particular part of your criticism, that you didn't like that Wadatsumi "did all the work", felt like nitpicking at that point.

    As I said, if you were going to back the Sun Pirates as being the answer here, the most logical conclusion IMO would be Wadatsumi being their primary savior, regardless of whether or not there was a ship swap. I didn't say that he's the largest to try and convince you that the solution Oda chose was a good one, but rather to show you that of course he'd put the most work in regardless of how Oda ended up utilizing the Sun Pirates. He obviously has the strength for it, and is big to swallow the entire ship, so unsurprisingly he has the most flexibility in how Oda could've used him. Hence why all the theories involving the Sun Pirates pretty much all involved Wadatsumi doing something notable.

    I don't know how to articulate it much better than that lol, it was just really amusing reading that part of your criticism.

  6. #466

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    It looks like nitpicking because, well, I dunno... it is IMO.

    You explained why you didn't like it. I get that, I see most of where you and others are coming from in general. I just felt that that particular part of your criticism, that you didn't like that Wadatsumi "did all the work", felt like nitpicking at that point.

    As I said, if you were going to back the Sun Pirates as being the answer here, the most logical conclusion IMO would be Wadatsumi being their primary savior, regardless of whether or not there was a ship swap. I didn't say that he's the largest to try and convince you that the solution Oda chose was a good one, but rather to show you that of course he'd put the most work in regardless of how Oda ended up utilizing the Sun Pirates. He obviously has the strength for it, and is big to swallow the entire ship, so unsurprisingly he has the most flexibility in how Oda could've used him. Hence why all the theories involving the Sun Pirates pretty much all involved Wadatsumi doing something notable.

    I don't know how to articulate it much better than that lol, it was just really amusing reading that part of your criticism.
    Ok I see, you were specifically talking about this then:
    "Fishmen would have been fine but Wadatsumi doing all the work it's just weak"

    I was thinking about how the scenario of the fishmen doing at least most of the work to save the Sunny could have paid off the expectations of the cliffhanger better than Wada doing all the work by himself, but I wasn't even considering the feasibility of the thing, my bad.

    "Fishmen would have been fine since they seem more relevant than Wadatsumi, they're not as lame, and they have a stronger bond with Jinbe [even though I don't know what the hell they could have done practically to explain the cliffhanger] but Wadatsumi doing all the work by himself is just weak"

    Related to that, I also noticed this nonsense I wrote in the same post: "I'm not talking about what could make sense in the story or whatnot, I'm talking about the quality of the storytelling".
    Obviously the quality of the storytelling is also determined by how much things make sense in the story. But whatever, now you get the mistake I made in that statement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shezar View Post
    But he was not out equation ,we have nothing that showed that he was , when someone throws boiling water on top you the first reaction would be screaming and then finding way to cool off , heck Watatsumi has prior experience of being "cooked" nevermind that he can reach low temperture water with ease ,we see him diving in chapter 900 .

    "Wadatsumi doing all the work it's just weak."
    Why? He wanted to repay Jinbey for the trouble he caused in fishmen island and he is the only being there that can manhandle ships with relative ease ,good portion side characters in One piece have played much grander rule that is usual in other stories we have mutiple examples of this in One Piece, having focus on Wadatsumi shoudn't be weird or out of place.
    But it seems that Wadatsumi is too much side character to actually be acting force in the story .

    What makes sense in story should be important to you since it ties with quality of storytelling.
    What a person finds to be a good storytelling method is subjective but for me atleast as long author uses what is present in story be either a place or a character or a thing without breaking rules establish before he is doing a good job and if he (author) can do it in way that we can't preditc the outcome even better ,that happened with this chapter atleast for me ,i thought that Wadatsumi would be a key part of strawhats escape but not the how, i was pleasantly suprised and glad that he played bigger role.

    I'm glad we got more out of Wadatsumi and i hope in future we get more, he can tag team with Surume i don't know when or how but i hope it happens.
    I didn't say that he's too much a side character to be an active force in the story, just that he doesn't work well as the main solution to this particular cliffhanger.
    A side character of the likes of Wadatsumi resolving the super hyping cliffhanger of chapter 900 by redeeming himself because of reason and by pulling off this horribly fuzzy and convulted switch plan and sacrificing a ship we should care about but we actually don't is not good writing, in this or in any other story.

    I'm sorry if this sounds rude but if you think that good or bad writing is subjective then there's no point in discussing this.
    Last edited by Hedron; April 18th, 2018 at 11:28 PM.

  7. #467
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    I'm actually more hyped for the next chapter than I was for this one.

    Really curious which road Oda decides to take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  8. #468

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    I'm actually more hyped for the next chapter than I was for this one.

    Really curious which road Oda decides to take.
    "You will be suprised"

  9. #469

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    Robin's bounty was higher than Zoro's when she joined, and it stayed that way through Enies Lobby.
    Youíre right but Robin didnít officially join until after being freed, and by that point Zoroís bounty was higher already. Thatís my point, I could be wrong, but I think it fits nicely into the narrative.
    If you're going on a trip... where would you like to go?

  10. #470

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    Im not sleeping till i get to read this next chapter... let's hope its not going to be like 6am before jamini posts it

  11. #471

    Default Re: Chapter 901: Even If You Die, Don't Die!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow5963 View Post
    Doffys former bounty was 340mil and chinjaos 500mil was from when he was young before garp flattend his head, so 500mil was ok at the time, the fact that doffy or crocodile were stronger that their bounty would suggest does not matter, is not like the marines bounty office keeps track of them. And if you "consider the track record" as you put it he should get a bounty higher than kataruri's.

    track record.
    beats Arlong 20mil bounty gets 30mil bounty
    beats Crocodile former 81mil gets 100mil
    gets 300mil for EL
    gets 400 mil for War
    Beats Doffy former 340mil gets 500mil.
    Hmmm "track record" may not have been the right word for it, what I meant:

    30 -> 100 -> 300 -> 400 ->500. Even Sabo is still at 600m, maybe after dressrosa his bounty increased a little. There was a bounty thread. If we can find it and continue there.

    Ps: Former bounties don't give these guys justice, even luffy's bounties after beating them donesn't give them justice, considering caribou and the likes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts