+ Reply to Thread
Page 546 of 546 FirstFirst ... 46 446 496 536 544 545 546
Results 10,901 to 10,919 of 10919

Thread: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

  1. #10901

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Does anyone know how far in advance they shoot? There could be 2-3 episodes waiting in the wings.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

  2. #10902

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Does anyone know how far in advance they shoot? There could be 2-3 episodes waiting in the wings.
    Allegedly they shoot a week in advance, but we just got an episode last week so who knows.

    The Fivel episode wasn't uploaded to Vimeo at all for some reason.

  3. #10903

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

  4. #10904

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    So I wonder when that line about not putting a lot of effort into a joke because it's nearly over and he's so close to freedom was written.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  5. #10905

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Does anyone know how far in advance they shoot? There could be 2-3 episodes waiting in the wings.
    They tend to be only a week ahead but they do go more in advance if there's going to be a lot of conventions or dvd specials or effects and they DID just do some cons.

    At most they have one left after this unless he did a bunch of editorials. I also have to imagine he'd still film *something* to do a closeout that would be obvious as such.

  6. #10906

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Also Guru Larry should change his name to Highlander Larry.

    From what I understand, Rob has a sword he could borrow to complete the look.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  7. #10907

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Lindsay finishes off with Part 3 of 2 of her Hobbit analysis:



    oof... those last few minutes in this vid have taken on a whole new meaning with the past month's events :/

  8. #10908

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Also Guru Larry should change his name to Highlander Larry.

    From what I understand, Rob has a sword he could borrow to complete the look.
    Does that make Brad The Guardian?


  9. #10909

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    oof... those last few minutes in this vid have taken on a whole new meaning with the past month's events :/
    Yikes. Yeah, she probably had the whole thing and the general theme planned in advance, but the last bit is just a voice over. Really have to wonder how much of it is aimed at the whole "Channel Awesome ended up sucking behind the scenes too" because... it sure carries that vibe. Even if she didn't write it with that in mind, it really, reeeeeeeally fits.


    But yes, you can tell she didn't plan to do this part originally and she added it on when she found out more and more about what went on behind the scenes of the Hobbit. The first two parts were very much breaking down the movies and super informative... and the last was something else added as an afterthought because reasons. Which was of course the entire point but still.

  10. #10910

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Good little breakdowns of the hobbit. Her skill at such things are evident but I find that "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" to be a load of garbage and that last part to be too preachy.
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

    Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

    You won this week Fairy Tail.

  11. #10911

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Whenever there is a reduction to "Capitalism grrrrr" in these kind of things I just go "let me invite you to the place where I grew up, bring your own toilet paper, don't bring nice shades or phones, and we'll see what happens when you give the state the power that the corporations hold"
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  12. #10912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    Good little breakdowns of the hobbit. Her skill at such things are evident but I find that "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" to be a load of garbage and that last part to be too preachy.
    Yeah... she considers people who enjoy art made by someone whose actions she personally disagrees with to be children.

  13. #10913

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Yeah... she considers people who enjoy art made by someone whose actions she personally disagrees with to be children.
    I don't think she actually believes that, but I just find the idea itself to be stupid.
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

    Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

    You won this week Fairy Tail.

  14. #10914

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Under her logic, how can she support socialism when millions of people suffer, not "Oh, I'm working 70 hours a week" suffer but "I'm going to die because there aren't any antibiotics in any pharmacy in town".
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  15. #10915

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    I just can't help but feel like I'm watching a bit more of a meandering version of Just Write's The Hobbit breakdown. I guess there is only so much stuff that can be said.

  16. #10916

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Yeah... she considers people who enjoy art made by someone whose actions she personally disagrees with to be children.
    That.... wasn't her point. At all.

    It's about how we all want to go back to the innocent experience, LIKE a child. But you know the real world stuff so that inevitably gets in the way, but that's just part of growing up.

    Like... a child is told that Columbus was a great explorer who wanted to find a shortcut to india and didn't know the world was round. That's complete bull because we knew the world was round at least as early as ancient Greece, and also because Columbus was actually a super horrible person that caused endless suffering. rape, slavery and death. Once you know that, you can't go back to the child story of him being an explorer that thought the world was flat. But when you have kids of your own? You'll probably start them with the lie, right along with "George Washington never told a lie ever, even when he chopped down a cherry tree."

    (She also used an image of Orson Scott Card so that by itself sums up a whole "can you enjoy the story if you know the person that wrote it is terrible" argument. There's been a ton of debates about that asshole.)

    Or now with Channel Awesome or Jewario... it's harder to watch now that we know... stuff. It makes them less likeable and puts a tint over everything. There's nothing inherantly childlike about liking the Nostalgia Critic. He's a funny comedian. But AFTER you find out what he's condoned or done over the years, if that doesn't affect how you view the work at all? Do you keep watching? Can you still enjoy it the same way? You can still like the material but once you know what goes into it, does it affect you personally and how you personally feel about it? It just might taint the whole thing for you.

    Sure would be nice to be able to go back to the far back time of when I was like a child from THREE WEEKS AGO and enjoy Nostalgia Critic again. But that ship has sailed, so.... I don't think I can anymore.

    Her other point was that basically all big studio art projects and corporations have this sort of dirt going on behind the scenes, which... is kind of true. It's not isolated to one studio or one bad seed or just entertainment... it's pretty widespread.
    Last edited by Robby; April 21st, 2018 at 06:29 PM.

  17. #10917

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Under her logic, how can she support socialism when millions of people suffer, not "Oh, I'm working 70 hours a week" suffer but "I'm going to die because there aren't any antibiotics in any pharmacy in town".
    I wonder where you read that. Her vid was about the unification of workers against a million dollar corporation. Great work claiming the complete opposite of her message. Wtf...
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

  18. #10918

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows


    Spoiler:

  19. #10919

    Default Re: AVGN, Channel Awful, and other web review shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    That.... wasn't her point. At all.

    It's about how we all want to go back to the innocent experience, LIKE a child. But you know the real world stuff so that inevitably gets in the way, but that's just part of growing up.

    Like... a child is told that Columbus was a great explorer who wanted to find a shortcut to india and didn't know the world was round. That's complete bull because we knew the world was round at least as early as ancient Greece, and also because Columbus was actually a super horrible person that caused endless suffering. rape, slavery and death. Once you know that, you can't go back to the child story of him being an explorer that thought the world was flat. But when you have kids of your own? You'll probably start them with the lie, right along with "George Washington never told a lie ever, even when he chopped down a cherry tree."

    (She also used an image of Orson Scott Card so that by itself sums up a whole "can you enjoy the story if you know the person that wrote it is terrible" argument. There's been a ton of debates about that asshole.)

    Or now with Channel Awesome or Jewario... it's harder to watch now that we know... stuff. It makes them less likeable and puts a tint over everything. There's nothing inherantly childlike about liking the Nostalgia Critic. He's a funny comedian. But AFTER you find out what he's condoned or done over the years, if that doesn't affect how you view the work at all? Do you keep watching? Can you still enjoy it the same way? You can still like the material but once you know what goes into it, does it affect you personally and how you personally feel about it? It just might taint the whole thing for you.

    Sure would be nice to be able to go back to the far back time of when I was like a child from THREE WEEKS AGO and enjoy Nostalgia Critic again. But that ship has sailed, so.... I don't think I can anymore.

    Her other point was that basically all big studio art projects and corporations have this sort of dirt going on behind the scenes, which... is kind of true. It's not isolated to one studio or one bad seed or just entertainment... it's pretty widespread.
    I disagree with your interpretation of what she said, but I can understand why you think that.

    However... I can't say this hasn't affected my own experience watching the Nostalgia Critic. I've spent some time reflecting on when and why I stopped loving his videos and slowly moved down the ladder from liking to tolerating, and I've come to the conclusion that he peaked in 2010.

    Generally I try very hard to keep drama or politics from ruining art, if only to prevent myself from becoming "that guy who never shuts up about how x thing in y movie is super offensive and horrible".

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 1 guests)

  1. Daz
  2. Jarhead

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts