Default Noah's Notes

Noah's Notes
    Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Shounen
    Author: Ikezawa Haruto
    Serialization: Weekly Shounen Jump
    Publisher: Shueisha

Chapter 1 (Raw)

Default Re: Noah's Notes

PSA: I think Viz already has a translation of this on their website, but it's locked in my country so I can't see it.

Yeah it's part of this round of Jumpstarts, along with Jujutsu and the kaiju one.

I'm, um, obviously biased, but I think this one has potential!
    It's edutainment-y, like Dr. Stone, but with history/archaeology instead of science. And the apocalypse has both already happened, and hasn't happened yet. Plus a Groundhog Day type gimmick. And a Sherlock/Watson dynamic with the know-it-all genius and the "hurr durr can you explain it to me slowly?" tagalong character.

Majority of ch1 feels like typical shonen hijinks but then you see where it's going with that ending.

Enjoyed this, think it has potential. I really enjoy the premise, lot's of potential there. If the next few chapters maintain this quality I'll definitely continue with it. Interested to see what kind of villains we have to deal with. I can definitely see this lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post
    http://www.shonenjump.com/j/rensai/img/main_noahs.jpg

Noah's Notes
    Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Shounen
    Author: Ikezawa Haruto
    Serialization: Weekly Shounen Jump
    Publisher: Shueisha

Chapter 1 (Raw)
    Loved it. Definitely feels like an Indiana Jones vibe. Cant wait to see the edutainment mentioned above involving history.
    @Kaizou_10, Let us know what the reception in Japan is (sorry to harass you with this, but I'm not sure if it working based on the format)

Quote Originally Posted by opbg View Post
    @Kaizou_10, Let us know what the reception in Japan is (sorry to harass you with this, but I'm not sure if it working based on the format)
    Ask someone else

Maybe it's because I'm used to reading CCC's translated chapters twice a week, but without checking the credits I felt he was the one doing it :)

Anyway, I liked the chapter. Noah is a really likeable MC and the premise has a lot of potential.

My main issue is with the girl. I hope the next chapters change my opinion about her.

I feel like the dream of being a housewife will only get Mirai so far (more believable motivation for going adventuring would be nice).
    Not because we shouldn't respect a choice like that, but because it seems comically insignificant compared to saving the world. ...Maybe that's the point, though?

One thing I definite appreciate is that there are *zero* signs of funny business between the high school girl and the grown man. Her characterization (rebellious, bullheaded, great at cat puns) has nothing to do with her cleavage, and he's clearly relic-sexual.
    Last edited by CCC; March 14th, 2018 at 06:18 AM.

Doesn't Mirai means Future in Japanese?

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Doesn't Mirai means Future in Japanese?
    Yes it does .

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    I feel like the dream of being a housewife will only get Mirai so far (more believable motivation for going adventuring would be nice).
    Not because we shouldn't respect a choice like that, but because it seems comically insignificant compared to saving the world. ...Maybe that's the point, though?

One thing I definite appreciate is that there are *zero* signs of funny business between the high school girl and the grown man. Her characterization (rebellious, bullheaded, great at cat puns) has nothing to do with her cleavage, and he's clearly relic-sexual.
    Dont worry surely a goofball / kind of a meathead sidekick witha heart of gold will fill that role later on.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Regarding Mirai, I actually talked to my teacher friend about her recently, with much of the same concerns as everyone else, coming from the perspective that her motivation was too simplistic and sexist. Her take was, "no, it's about right." I think perspective is a big consideration for her in this case, and it's clear she was set up with a lot of room to grow. So I'll hold of on coming down on her too hard... for now.

As for the rest of the chapter, it's pretty much all about archaeology, as I understood it when I was five and wanted to be an archaeologist, and for that reason alone I love it. I really like how it presents history, and am looking forward to seeing how the intrigue continues. Too many interesting starts have hurt me, but so far, I'm hopeful!

Quote Originally Posted by Kylor View Post
    Regarding Mirai, I actually talked to my teacher friend about her recently, with much of the same concerns as everyone else, coming from the perspective that her motivation was too simplistic and sexist.
    That was my gut reaction at first too ("Really? Her dream is to be a housewife? That's some primitive/patriarchal/right-wing-traditionalist nonsense") but...feminism's about women having all options available. That choice.

Sure I'd be on board if the author makes Mirai evolve to the point that, by the end, she's like "housewife? yeah right. I'm an adventurer with bigger dreams now" but again, it'd still be kind of satisfying in a goofy way if she does all this swashbuckling to save the world...all in pursuit of relaxed domesticity. That, in itself, would be a twisty subversion of traditional gender roles, since she's taking an active role to achieve the house+hubby+kids instead of sitting back and passively acquiring those things with...sex appeal, or whatever. Making it an active choice and celebrating her agency feels very much in line with feminist ideals.

...Not that I'm assuming authorial intention. Little doubt the motivation there was just "heheh boobs" but we're talking about the message it implicitly sends to readers (many of whom are kids).
    Last edited by CCC; March 15th, 2018 at 08:54 AM.

That was my gut reaction at first too ("Really? Her dream is to be a housewife? That's some primitive/patriarchal/right-wing-traditionalist nonsense") but...feminism's about women having all options available. That choice.

Like a stopped clock, Seth McFarlane gets it right sometimes.
    *shrug*

Like a stopped clock, Seth McFarlane gets it right sometimes.
    *shrug*
    Its an early season so he actually made characters likeable
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Wasn't there a character in Assassination Classroom that wanted to be a housewife as well?

Hidden:

I often give the benefit of the doubt to authors that create characters with the desire to be a housewife if they are women author's and or have a good track record of being feminist. Cause really it's all about the choices. It's fine for women to have the desire to be a housewife. But sometimes people like Kubo or Kishi kinda just have that the end game without it really feeling natural. Or like they just wanted to place the women out of combat. Where as Arakawa made a badass housewife with Izumi.

I have no problem with the female character, women should be written in a multitude of ways and authors shouldn't be scared to write them in non conventional "strong independent women" ways especially since those tend to be the most boring and simplistic ways where the character never progresses past I'm a chick with attitude. The most important thing about a character is dimension. It's fine for a character to start like this so long as the story progresses, she shows initiative and a desire to change or if not change at least show a good degree of agency and independence. The whole point of this character seems to be to learn to appreciate history so maybe we should give the story a few chapters before jumping to conclusions.
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Wasn't there a character in Assassination Classroom that wanted to be a housewife as well?
    I think that she was the one that NEVER got focus, the only girl who wasn't thin.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information