+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

Default Re: Volume 89 Predictions/Discussion

I think I can understand the point of view of Oda and how he was trying to portray Luffy through my experience as an athlete. There have been so many times where I had to stay in basketball games running on pure fumes, but still found a way to do so while other times, at about the same level of pure exhaustion I've basically collapsed on the bench, thankful that someone else could take my place, at least for a few minutes. It's entirely plausible to me that at least, Luffy could have kept going in some capacity, even if he wasn't truly feeling it, based on pure adrenaline and willpower. And we had seen Luffy more exhausted in a fight than he was against Doffy after the first burst of G4 before, when he fought Lucci and Moria. I think that second burst of G4 is the difference between the still lucid Luffy of that period and the sleep for 3 days Luffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Full cover scan from a Japanese blog:
    http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/guran2016...c/8c210dbd.jpg
    I have a request - can someone translate the comment on the left? The one with saluting man. I've seen some people giving this volume 1 star on amazon while talking only about his message. I'm curious what is says and what's the historical context.

Quote Originally Posted by SBS
    About Gear 4 time limits and Dolfamingo in Dressrosa :
    Q: After reading the manga and seeing the anime, I wonder why Luffy was unable to do anything for 10 minutes after Gear 4, but then moved around without a problem against Katakuri. Is this a plothole?
    Oda: There is no limit. As long as you want to move, even if you were not able to use Haki, you could run away or fight anyway, right? In Dressrosa Luffy had help after using gear 4, so he relied on that help and saved his strength to prepare to take out Doflamingo once and for all. If he had no one to rely on, he would have still succeeded all on his own.
    >Luffy using willpower to overcome Crocodile's Scorpion's poison at Alubarna
    >Luffy failing at the use of willpower to overcome Magellan's poison at Impel Down
    [...]
    >Wounded Luffy fighting 8 hours against Katakuri, after only resting 3 hours from a 11 hours battle with Cracker, thanks to his willpower at Mirror World.
    >Luffy asking for a blood transfusion from Jinbe after Hodi's fight at Fishman Island
    [...]
    >Luffy asking Noradrenalin hormones to Iva to overcome his tiredness at Marineford
    >Luffy letting himself rest on the back of Guts for 10(?) minutes to regain Haki to keep going against Doflaming at Dressrosa... and Oda says that he didn't need it.

Oda, please, stop... without consistency, it doesn't matter if you want to clear the fails you do.
    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahaka. View Post
    I have a request - can someone translate the comment on the left? The one with saluting man. I've seen some people giving this volume 1 star on amazon while talking only about his message. I'm curious what is says and what's the historical context.
    I'm no translator, but I'm seeing posted that it's "When you eat from a plate and something remains uneaten, I came up with a name for this: Sergeant Yokoi. For example: 'Sergeant Yokoi is left on a plate! Somebody finish the war!' Kids who don't understand, look it up."

From a quick google, Yokoi was a Japanese soldier who kept "fighting" after Japan surrendered at the end of World War 2, basically by hiding himself and a few mates out on an island for nearly 30 years. Seems pretty funny to me.

Now I know that people in any country will get touchy if you make a joke about soldiers, particularly real ones, but given who Yokoi was - a relic of Imperialism and a terribly misguided extreme of the old 'death before surrender' mentality - I get the feeling that the kind of people who'd get mad about a Yokoi joke are not the kind of people you'd want to associate with. Bombing a comic with bad reviews for having a giggle about a guy like that seems the kind of thing a pro-Imperialist equivilent of the alt-right might do, right?

Ah, I don't know. Take my analysis with a huge grain of salt because I'm making a lot of guesses. There are people on this forum far more qualified to talk on Japanese culture and politics than I am, and I'd love to see any of them comment on this.

Today Shonen Jump official website has made an announcement about Oda's author comment regarding Yokoi.

It says both Oda and editors should have been more cautious about those statements.

source:
    https://www.shonenjump.com/j/2018/06...hirase001.html
    Some 5ch people are angry at Oda's author comment...
    http://matsuri.5ch.net/test/read.cgi...1528951240/933

Netouyo can't take a joke, lol.

I'm no translator, but I'm seeing posted that it's "When you eat from a plate and something remains uneaten, I came up with a name for this: Sergeant Yokoi. For example: 'Sergeant Yokoi is left on a plate! Somebody finish the war!' Kids who don't understand, look it up."

From a quick google, Yokoi was a Japanese soldier who kept "fighting" after Japan surrendered at the end of World War 2, basically by hiding himself and a few mates out on an island for nearly 30 years. Seems pretty funny to me.

Now I know that people in any country will get touchy if you make a joke about soldiers, particularly real ones, but given who Yokoi was - a relic of Imperialism and a terribly misguided extreme of the old 'death before surrender' mentality - I get the feeling that the kind of people who'd get mad about a Yokoi joke are not the kind of people you'd want to associate with. Bombing a comic with bad reviews for having a giggle about a guy like that seems the kind of thing a pro-Imperialist equivilent of the alt-right might do, right?

Ah, I don't know. Take my analysis with a huge grain of salt because I'm making a lot of guesses. There are people on this forum far more qualified to talk on Japanese culture and politics than I am, and I'd love to see any of them comment on this.
    Now i understand why Oda doesn't likes Sorachi... and didn't helped Watsuki with his problem unlike with Shima's one, 'cause they worked with soldiers to earn money.

Shame, shame on this guys, Oda must think.
    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Do Japanese also give a shit about political correctness as people here in the US do?

Quote Originally Posted by Shobu Yoruichi View Post
    Now i understand why Oda doesn't likes Sorachi... and didn't helped Watsuki with his problem unlike with Shima's one, 'cause they worked with soldiers to earn money.

Shame, shame on this guys, Oda must think.
    Uh, could I get a refresher on Oda and Sorachi and Oda and Watsuki, because I have no idea what interactions you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffitte Doflamingo View Post
    Do Japanese also give a shit about political correctness as people here in the US do?
    lmao at people making this out to be some lefty 'political correctness gone mad' kinda deal when it's actually more along the lines of America's right being suspiciously touchy about how the Confederates are depicted and remembered despite the horrible things they fought for. The outcry is not coming from the kind of person who would go for any traditional sense of political correctness.

So they didn't even get Oda to do a new comment for the digital version of vol 89, they just cut the author comment entirely. Safe guess all future reprints of the physical book will be the same, and Shueisha will probably tell Viz not to use the comment in their version as well. We're really just pretending it never happened, huh? A shame.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I think I can understand the point of view of Oda and how he was trying to portray Luffy through my experience as an athlete. There have been so many times where I had to stay in basketball games running on pure fumes, but still found a way to do so while other times, at about the same level of pure exhaustion I've basically collapsed on the bench, thankful that someone else could take my place, at least for a few minutes. It's entirely plausible to me that at least, Luffy could have kept going in some capacity, even if he wasn't truly feeling it, based on pure adrenaline and willpower. And we had seen Luffy more exhausted in a fight than he was against Doffy after the first burst of G4 before, when he fought Lucci and Moria. I think that second burst of G4 is the difference between the still lucid Luffy of that period and the sleep for 3 days Luffy.
    Yeah the human body is weird.
    I'm a regular victim of insomnia, and work with all sorts of age groups of kids. So yeah I'll go into work on little sleep and have to deal with 20+ crazy kids/teens, and somehow get through just fine.
    The day will suck harder if it's boring well behaved kids (or high schoolers who mostly ignore you). I'll be struggling to keep up.
    But when it's a crazy day with elementary and middle school kids? In spite of running on fumes and usually little to no breakfast, I power through just fine if not well.

No its not healthy on me, but the body has ways of finding the energy when it needs to.
    Those little tykes don't realize I tend to actually appreciate them misbehaving and keeping me busy lol.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

This post is legit, can't see anything wrong you said here about the implications of people review bombing Oda for that.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Laffitte Doflamingo View Post
    Do you mean that right wing political correctness is a thing that exists, is hugely downplayed by the right, exists in both Japan and America, and is why One Piece 89 has people throwing 1 star reviews at it on Amazon?
    The answer to all cases is: yes!

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Japan has a disturbingly large community of right-wing Imperial Japan loyalists. Like "The Rape of Nanjing Never Happened Despite Massive Evidence It Did!" kind of people.

Thanks Redon

So the volume has been out for 4-5 weeks and according to sales numbers hasn't hit 2 million yet.

It sounds ridiculous to say, but i can't remember the last time an OP volume failed to crack 2 million this far in.

Waiting to break the game MrBits's Avatar

I hope this drop doesn't continue onto the next volume's sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

Two million is not more special than any other number... Fact is that One Piece is steadily dropping in sales for years now and it was bound to get below 2 million at some point.

It was a blip on the radar.

People that care about this aren't usually people that buy the comic and if anything, have a chip on their shoulder regarding the series.

It's a non-issue and there has been nothing about it after the apology.

I posted these to Reddit but I figure you guys might appreciate them too. Compilations of all the covers and spines to date, all taken from the digital volumes, each set in one big beautiful image. Obviously, the covers one is the full size version of what I use for my sig.

Spoiler:

I hope that Wano is a big fuck you to the far right.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information