+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Undertale and Deltarune

Default Undertale and Deltarune

Not so much what I'm playing as what I'm going to be playing:

http://undertale.com

Releases today at noon EST. It's a game I've been excited for since its demo. Made mostly by Toby "Radiation" Fox, who some might know from his work on the Homestuck soundtracks. This is the one Kickstarter game that I've actually maintained my enthusiasm for.

You play a human child lost in a world of monsters, who must find the strength to survive, which is made hard by those monsters. But in the name of self-preservation, will you yourself become a monster??? Probably not. If you kill them, though, that won't reflect well on your character since most monsters aren't all that bad actually! You get the choice to slay them in somewhat regular RPG fashion or spare them from the cruel whims of a little kid. Your choice affects the game's ending.

I was thinking of maybe doing a stream tonight, but we'll see.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Default Re: What are you Playing?

So I played through 2-3 hours of the game and I have to say something disappointing. It's incredible and everybody should play it. Woah, wait, that's not disappointing, that's awesome. Sorry there was no disappointment. That must have been disappointing.

Within my time playing, I've already bought donuts from a spider, bored a dog, made fun of a monster's hat and got my heart broken by a skeleton. That is just a taste of what what the game has to offer. It is a beautiful experience.

I would especially recommend it to fans of the Mother series. It has about as much character and charm as that franchise and is of a similar offbeat nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    So I played through 2-3 hours of the game and I have to say something disappointing. It's incredible and everybody should play it. Woah, wait, that's not disappointing, that's awesome. Sorry there was no disappointment. That must have been disappointing.

Within my time playing, I've already bought donuts from a spider, bored a dog, made fun of a monster's hat and got my heart broken by a skeleton. That is just a taste of what what the game has to offer. It is a beautiful experience.

I would especially recommend it to fans of the Mother series. It has about as much character and charm as that franchise and is of a similar offbeat nature.
    Yea, it exploded all over my twitter profile and i was wondering what it was about, especially when the demo (which i unfortunately didn't try) came up last time. It definitely feels very inspired by Mother as well! Judging from the trailer, i think the skeleton is going to be a riot, i mean, 4 pairs of legs just for hot pants?
    Definitely getting this up tomorrow.

Is there a big emphasis on those real-time minigames within battles? Because the bone-dry battle system of Earthbound was probably my least favorite part of it...

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Is there a big emphasis on those real-time minigames within battles? Because the bone-dry battle system of Earthbound was probably my least favorite part of it...
    Yes! Even if you choose not to fight, you still have to dodge attacks and the attacks are unique for each enemy. The boss fights even manage to mix those up by giving you different primary dodging schemes. One reviewer compared that aspect to Warioware and I think that's apt. The battles will keep you on your toes no matter which way you play through the game.

The evade mechanic plays more like a shmup for the most part, and ever so rarely as a surprise.. it changes things up! But really tho. Undertale is quickly becoming one of my favorite games! There's just so much layers of great quirky writing to it!

Tsunderplane is the best regular enemy. I love how you can spare it by getting close, but not too close!

I beat the pacifist route today. I couldn't put the thing down, it was that good. Lots of memorable characters that are easy to get attached to, an interesting and fun story, lots of great dialogue, amazing soundtrack, and the gameplay is pretty phenomenal for an RPG. Seriously, it does some really cool things with storytelling that couldn't be accomplished outside of the video game medium. It is a game that is well-worth experiencing.

It's about 10 hours long on a playthrough, for those of you wary of long RPG times, even with high amounts of exploration. There is also a fair degree of challenge, hidden content and replayability that I think can satisfy a large variety of gamers. If you remotely enjoy video games, do yourself a favor and lay out a sawbuck for Undertale.

Stellar recommendations from both Wagomu AND Hiroy? Looks like I don't have a choice.

The more I play this game, the more I love it.

I would go as far as to say that anybody interested in video games as an art form, including any future game developers, should view Undertale as required gaming. Much of the game is commentary, both subtle and direct, on the specific nature of gaming, especially what makes that experience so distinct from the consumption of any other media. It is both a deconstruction and a celebration of the qualities of the medium that I think advances the medium, more specifically the role playing game genre (using a loose definition to cover narrative-based gaming), forward on a new axis.

Alright, alright, I'll spring for it, yeesh.

But only because La Mulana 2 isn't out yet. Why isn't La Mulana 2 out yet? Truly this world is a dark and joyless place.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    Alright, alright, I'll spring for it, yeesh.

But only because La Mulana 2 isn't out yet. Why isn't La Mulana 2 out yet? Truly this world is a dark and joyless place.
    It's still pret early in development and may not be even out till next year.

But really tho. Undertale. Freaking amazing game.
    It already climbed my top 3 all time favorites, along with Majora's Mask, La Mulana and Mother 3.
    Last edited by Hiroy; September 18th, 2015 at 11:04 AM.

Started Undertale last night and really enjoying it. Got to the winter village.
    The infrequency of the random battles keeps them from getting annoying, especially because the real fun of each one is figuring out the "puzzle" (which loses appeal once you've done it once).
    I absolutely suck at the bullet hell parts (despite my somehow beating IWBTG, Boshy, etc.), but the game is lenient and fine-tuned enough that it hasn't become frustrating yet...

Flavor text everywhere that encourages poking around every nook and cranny is absolutely the best part so far.

And I just finished Undertale with the best ending. What an experience!

Been reading the Steam forum, while not caring for spoilers for things I missed and BOYYYYY.. There's so many little hidden eggs and lore due to the game's "mechanic" behind restarting.

Yeah, I just started playing Undertale last night myself. Got to about the same place as CCC, which I presume is fairly early in the game. Not exaggerating at all, it has already gotten more of an emotive reaction out of me than most games I can think of. (To be fair, the vast majority of that is me melting over how adorable it is, but still!)

Definitely echoing all the praise being heaped on it.

Please tell me... one of you. Defeated all the dogs in an epic game of fetch the stick...

All...of them? I've only met Doggo, the married couple, and Greater Dog. I think I just beat them the normal, pacifist way...
    Spoiler:

Doggo: stay still until you can surprise pet him
    Couple: Roll around to smell like puppy-> pet both of them
    Greater Dog: Beckon, pet, play fetch, pet, pet, pet

Beating them the normal way gives you a yellow named spare, so yeah. pretty much the normal way. After playing fetch, you can spare "almost" any dog instantly without turning their names yellow(there's no real benefit to it, unless you are a completionist and want to yellow every enemy). Funny little easter egg detial. It's also worth noting that you can play fetch with certain bosses that aren't dogs. There's no real effect, but it's worth keeping the stick around for your own amusement.

By now I've played Undertale 3 times and have watched it being streamed a bunch and my love for the game hasn't diminished at all. Contemplating buying the soundtrack and making a formal writeup for it. I've already heaped as much praise on it as I possibly could, but I just wanted an excuse to post a piece of its soundtrack because seriously listen to this:

I was actually against the idea of doing a genocide run in Undertale, but... it's gonna happen cuz I'm just madly curious

Oh wow, Undertale kept ringing a bell in my mind for a few days since I first saw it posted here, but I didn't give it any thought. Then I remembered that they featured an interview with someone behind the game at the Earthbound convention. Their sales pitch didn't really leave an impression, but after hearing all of this praise, I might just have to give it a go. I'm especially appealed by the thought of it pushing the conversation of video games being art.

Just checked who the guy they interviewed was. Turns out it was Toby Fox himself. Huh.
    Last edited by Mr. Zoro; September 22nd, 2015 at 04:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information