+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 LastLast

Thread: The New Nintendo Thread™

Default Re: The New Nintendo Thread™

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Just like with the Wii U Virtual Console! Feels like home.
    Yeah but Wii U had Miiverse and you actually owned the games.

Yet another reason the Switch is inferior to the Wii U. :/

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post

*Sigh* Yeah...it died too soon. How perfect a platform it would have been as the medium for a new Pokemon Snap game. I suppose the Switch could do but having both the TV and gamepad would have been better. I still prefer the Wii U for Captain Toad's minecart levels.

Anyway...sequel to Wonderful 101? I only played the demo and wasn't really sure how an entire game about that would work, especially with more characters. Was it supposed to be kind of a Pikmin hybrid?

Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Wii U had the Virtual Console, the gamepad + TV combo and made the best use of the touchscreen (not needing a special stylus to be purchased separately) and no need to be portable since the 3DS exists. The Switch library is basically what the Wii U could have had if they hadn't screwed the pooch on third party developers and made it last another year or two. The Switch might as well have just been the next incarnation of the 3DS and gone with a different home console.

Wait, so you "rent" the NES and SNES games? So if you cancel your subscription, they're gone? The fuck, glad I got Super Metroid for the 3DS then

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Wii U had the Virtual Console, the gamepad + TV combo and made the best use of the touchscreen (not needing a special stylus to be purchased separately) and no need to be portable since the 3DS exists. The Switch library is basically what the Wii U could have had if they hadn't screwed the pooch on third party developers and made it last another year or two. The Switch might as well have just been the next incarnation of the 3DS and gone with a different home console.
    Wii also had a virtual console which had more games on it. The gamepad was a novel idea but I believe it was one of the reasons the system costed as much as it did when it first launched and the same problem that the wii had with the fact that it was the only option for playing most games.

It also had the same problem that the Switch had with being a dumping ground for ports.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

People rag on the Wii U, but yes, I still do feel that it had some great advantages over the Switch. One being the Virtual Console, and the second being the fact that its online was free and had actual usernames (to think that the Switch regressed to Friend Codes AND makes us pay for a service that is no better is quite frustrating).

Switch owners are rejoicing the addition of SNES games to NSO, two and a half years after the release of the Switch. By this point in the Wii U's lifetime, SNES games were old news. GBA games as well. N64 and DS games were beginning to be added. And those games? You actually own them if you bought them.

It's frustrating that the Wii U has the upperhand on these counts, because the Switch is really great with its ability to be handheld anywhere. That just makes it so much more frustrating that we only just now got SNES games. We should have had them ages ago. It's past time for N64 games, which are what I've always wanted, because they're my favorite aside from the GCN (which will never happen at this rate).

Well, it had the entire Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles, the controllers didn't self-destruct after being used for a few months and most of the big first party Switch games are either direct ports or "sequel" ports of Wii U games.

Also the system itself didn't overheat and shatter. Why is the Switch hardware so awful?
    Last edited by RoboBlue; September 11th, 2019 at 05:55 AM.

Well, it had the entire Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles, the controllers didn't self-destruct after being used for a few months
    I personally don't care for the joycons (do wish Nintendo would stop with the bizarre bullshit in their controller design) but you're not wrong for this.

Also the system itself didn't overheat and shatter. Why is the Switch hardware so awful?
    Because when you want your system to be affordable you gotta get thrifty and lower your standards. Potential consumer dissatisfaction and class action lawsuits be damned. Also first I've heard of overheating problems.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Envy View Post
    People rag on the Wii U, but yes, I still do feel that it had some great advantages over the Switch. One being the Virtual Console, and the second being the fact that its online was free and had actual usernames (to think that the Switch regressed to Friend Codes AND makes us pay for a service that is no better is quite frustrating).

Switch owners are rejoicing the addition of SNES games to NSO, two and a half years after the release of the Switch. By this point in the Wii U's lifetime, SNES games were old news. GBA games as well. N64 and DS games were beginning to be added. And those games? You actually own them if you bought them.

It's frustrating that the Wii U has the upperhand on these counts, because the Switch is really great with its ability to be handheld anywhere. That just makes it so much more frustrating that we only just now got SNES games. We should have had them ages ago. It's past time for N64 games, which are what I've always wanted, because they're my favorite aside from the GCN (which will never happen at this rate).
    No, we should have still had the Virtual Console completely intact FROM THE START. Having online access to the same games is still no substitute for having lifetime access for a flat one-time rate (especially if you got them at a discount).

Because when you want your system to be affordable you gotta get thrifty and lower your standards. Potential consumer dissatisfaction and class action lawsuits be damned. Also first I've heard of overheating problems.
    Have you heard about cracks in the plastic?

That's caused by the outer case repeatedly overheating and cooling while the system's in the dock.

Why is the Switch hardware so awful?
    Because they designed it to do two things and be changeable into 15 different layouts, even though it turns out basically everyone just wants the portable functionality and a decent control setup..

Same way no one gave a single damn about the 3DS having a 3D function after about 2 minutes of trying out the novelty but it was stuck wrecking the hardware's processing power and raising the price all the same.

The 2DS equivalent Switch Light when it comes out in like a week might ultimately be a better system overall.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Same way no one gave a single damn about the 3DS having a 3D function after about 2 minutes of trying out the novelty but it was stuck wrecking the hardware's processing power and raising the price all the same.
    Oh so that's why the framerate on stuff like Harvest Moon & the 3DS Pokemon games gets spotty

Oh so that's why the framerate on stuff like Harvest Moon & the 3DS Pokemon games gets spotty
    No, Gamefreak is just really bad at optimization. :/

Yeah. Even when you turned the 3D function off, the system couldn't use its full power because any given game had to run on the assumption that you might switch it to 3D at any time. So some power was just permanently devoted to that function even when it wasn't in use where basically the same specs dedicated to 2D could probably have performed at least a little bit better.

No, Gamefreak is just really bad at optimization. :/
    Pokemon and Smash Bros were both basically Wii games trying to run on years old 3DS hardware so they slogged like crazy. They had the huge big screen character polygons running on a system that just couldn't handle it.

ALl the pokemon games prior to the 3D model switch ran fine... and original Gold/Silver having a second region was basically a miracle of optimization.
    Last edited by Robby; September 11th, 2019 at 07:48 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Yeah. Even when you turned the 3D function off, the system couldn't use its full power because any given game had to run on the assumption that you might switch it to 3D at any time. So some power was just permanently devoted to that function even when it wasn't in use where basically the same specs dedicated to 2D could probably have performed at least a little bit better.
    The option to disable 3D existed and some developers did use it (notably Gamefreak).

Pokemon and Smash Bros were both basically WiiU games trying to run on 3DS hardware so they slogged like crazy. They had the huge big screen character polygons running on a system that just couldn't handle it.

ALl the pokemon games prior to the 3D model switch ran fine... and original Gold/Silver having a second region was basically a miracle of optimization.
    Why couldn't they just downscale the models?

Why couldn't they just downscale the models?
    Because then you'd have to remake them from scratch? You can't just scale a 3D model up or down, the polygon count remains the same. Even if you apply a different rendering filter to make it look different or have thicker outlines or something, the traingle count is still the same. Maybe something could have been done in the renderer, or they went without backgrounds in the battles and that would have helped, but...

In theory they did them at super high resolution to future proof them so they could be used in everything going forward for years and years to come but it seems they mucked SOMETHING up given whats happening with the Switch games.

Wii Fit meets Pokémon

I'm glad they're keeping stuff like this and Nintendo Labo out of their usual directs

3DS Friendcode: 1547 - 5175 - 1342

I'm getting that at launch.
    Perfect to get my SO into gaming, lol.

That looks like a lot of fun... but also something that'll cause a looooot of injuries.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information