+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Devilman Crybaby

Default Re: Devilman Crybaby

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    This is not what I saw.
    Spoiler:
    Akira goes to Silene, who is seducing him. They have consensual intercourse (Silene is pretending to be a prostitute), then Silene turns into her demon form, tries to turn Akira into Amon, they fight, Akira suffers heave damage, cuts up Silene, and almost kills her. Then the demon buddy who is in love with Silene tells her to fuse with him, they do so, but die from blood loss just as they're about to kill Akira.

This is what I saw when I watched the episode for the first time. How did you get the idea Akira raped her to death? Just, what? Akira is supposed to be falling prey to his devil instincts that tell him to rape and fuck and destroy, but he never does this to any human. And if you had a problem with him killing demons you'd have to stop at episode 1. Besides, Silene wanted to kill the human part of Akira, and make love to Amon, so it's fair game to kill her for wanting to eliminate his human side in selfdefence.
    Spoiler:
    Re watch that fight again, the part he's talking about is after Silene already transforms. This is when she tries killing him. Anyways, I'm not sure how to go about that scene since she did ask Amon, his alter ego or Devil Side to make love to her, which he did while ripping her apart. Anyways, it's sort of hard to feel bad for her since she herself was trying to fuck him to death

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    Just finished ep 5. Ok. So let me get this straight, our hero just...
    Spoiler:
    Raped Silene to death. Did I get that right?

I mean...do I have to even remotely root for Akira? He had issues in the original Devilman, but never went *that* far...

And why is no one making a fuss about it? This is the kind of stuff that puts someone straight into irredeemable territory right away.

Am I exaggerating this or what?
    I read the scene just like AfroSamurai, with the "You wanted to be fucked? I will fuck you" meaning "I will kill you". But now that you mentioned it...
    Spoiler:

Looking at the way their bodies were drawn it definitely looks like it. The fact their bodies remain together even as they fall after Kaim's attack could also mean they were physically "stuck" to one another.

But I think you are the first who caught it, that's why nobody brought it up before. Now I'm unsure what to think...
    I agree that there wouldn't be consent there (she wanted to have sex with him before, but clearly not at that point), so yeah, it was a rape if they were really doing it. However they were mutilating each other and killing each other - after ripping her arm, wings, and half of her head off, I am not sure if rape really has the same weigh as in a real life context.

Quote Originally Posted by elzhi View Post
    Spoiler:
    Ryo was specifically addressing the people that killed Miki and his friends though, not humanity in general. He's ultimately a pacifist. I mean he was pushed to his breaking point, before that he NEVER attacked humans.

Either way, he doesn't hate demons just demons that eat humans. Hell at the beginning of episode 7 when the world was in panic over demons being revealed, he tried saving a bunch that were being gunned down by the army. He wanted to wage war against Ryo because he literally instigated the war and planned on wiping out the human race. If he hated demons, he'd refuse to have demons backing him in the war. As long as the demons are "devilmen", he has no problem them.
    Spoiler:
    I think you are missing what I am questioning here. I am not talking about Akira's standing in the whole series, I am talking specifically about the transition between the point where we left him in episode 9 and the point we find him in episode 10. In episode 9 he ended clearly taking a stance against humanity, it was not just that group, that's why he said "go to hell, mortals". Not "go to hell, bastards", or "go to hell, you people" or just "go to hell", the writers chose to make him say specifically "go to hell, MORTALS", meaning he was seeing himself as something else (and something above) them. He was clearly distinguishing himself from mortals and bringing their nature up in that line. Also, bear in mind "mortals" is merely a translation, the word used in the original "人間" means literally "humans" (he literally said "go to hell, humans", the purpose of that line, that wording, in that scene, in that moment, is clearly meant to suggest the chock sent him all the way to a point he was going to antagonize humanity - even if just temporarily).

His line of thought during the whole series make sense and you can see how he continuously change his view, it is just that transition that didn't made sense.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; January 10th, 2018 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Spoiler:
    I think you are missing what I am questioning here. I am not talking about Akira's standing in the whole series, I am talking specifically about the transition between the point where we left him in episode 9 and the point we find him in episode 10. In episode 9 he ended clearly taking a stance against humanity, it was not just that group, that's why he said "go to hell, mortals". Not "go to hell, bastards", or "go to hell, you people" or just "go to hell", the writers chose to make him say specifically "go to hell, MORTALS", meaning he was seeing himself as something else (and something above) them. He was clearly distinguishing himself from mortals and bringing their nature up in that line. Also, bear in mind "mortals" is merely a translation, the word used in the original "人間" means literally "humans" (he literally said "go to hell, humans", the purpose of that line, that wording, in that scene, in that moment, is clearly meant to suggest the chock sent him all the way to a point he was going to antagonize humanity - even if just temporarily).

His line of thought during the whole series make sense and you can see how he continuously change his view, it is just that transition that didn't made sense.
    Spoiler:
    I don't know, I don't think we're given enough to really see him shift his view on humanity. The only people we see him attacking are the ones in the immediate vicinity responsible for his friends' deaths. As for calling the mortals, this might be a crude analogy, but the way I saw that was someone who saw an ethnic group or race that they were fine or neutral with push them to the boiling point and called them a slur in anger. That doesn't mean they hate that ethnic group or race, but that's how I saw it sort of. He's basically calling the mortals as an insult and beneath him. Doesn't mean he hates humanity as a whole though

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Oh lol
    Spoiler:
    he *literally* fucked her to near death. I didn't catch that, seems like your right. That said, is killing someone who wants you dead by fucking them any worse than killing someone by ripping their jaw apart so their entire body rips open? Killing is killing is killing even if you do it by thrusting into their vagina, and it's still self defence even if it's technically rape as well. She wanted to rape him too... didn't she? Would you be happier is he killed her by stabbing or biting to death... it really wouldn't change the plot at all it's just an aesthetic choice the director made to showcase the *lust* part that comes with being a Devilman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Oh lol
    Spoiler:
    he *literally* fucked her to near death. I didn't catch that, seems like your right. That said, is killing someone who wants you dead by fucking them any worse than killing someone by ripping their jaw apart so their entire body rips open? Killing is killing is killing even if you do it by thrusting into their vagina, and it's still self defence even if it's technically rape as well. She wanted to rape him too... didn't she? Would you be happier is he killed her by stabbing or biting to death... it really wouldn't change the plot at all it's just an aesthetic choice the director made to showcase the *lust* part that comes with being a Devilman.
    Spoiler:
    I personally thought the fight was beautifully directed tbh, and tying that into the whole sexuality thing made sense. I don't know if I'd say it's ok, but yeah it fit with the tone of the show and it's over the top and gratuitious sensibilities. I mean in the Sabbath a couple having sex has the women's vagina turn into a monster and rip the guy in half. I definitely don't think you were supposed to cheer Akira on though, lol.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

I reall appreciated this take on the anime series by Digibro. Quite a lot of praise, but also critiques.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

I had not seen any of the original Devilman before. Holy crap this was probably the most fucked up series I've seen lol.

That said. Why in the Hell was 75% of the night scenes impossible to make out? My eyes hurt from straining to watch it.

Why is this shit both in Japanese and English ? like, why is there one episode in two in english ? and the other one in Japanese ?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information