+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Animaniacs Two season revival on Hulu

Default Re: Animaniacs Two season revival on Hulu

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    I take it the Hippos might not return too =P?
    Despite being in the intro they only had like 3 shorts in the original, and a handful of cameos, I doubt they're a priority ahead of any of the others.

No word on Katie Kaboom either?
    She also only had two shorts, not counting the CHicken Boo episode. Also not a strong contender.

Minerva Mink is oddly the one with the huge fanbase that actually gets questions despite being in similarly few episodes. She actually comes up *first* if you do an Animaniacs search.

I really hope that with all these characters not returning, they at least have a roster of other new things they're going to try. It'll be dull if its JUST the Warners and P&tB the whole time.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'm sure they'll have some fun new ideas too. It's a shame about Slappy and Skippy, they were among my favorites. But I'm definitely very excited for the revival!

I wouldn’t mind buttons and Mandy being background characters. On one hand these are the most popular ones by far, on the other hand, it was a whole package, is like reducing those danish cookies to just two flavors, even if it’s your favorites, you sometimes want a sweet/salty pretzel and you just don’t know it. That pretzel is Scrappy.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    I wouldn’t mind buttons and Mandy being background characters. On one hand these are the most popular ones by far, on the other hand, it was a whole package, is like reducing those danish cookies to just two flavors, even if it’s your favorites, you sometimes want a sweet/salty pretzel and you just don’t know it. That pretzel is Scrappy.
    I was under the pretense all danish cookies taste the same
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Slight teaser

Get nuts or go crazy trying.

That's disappointed there won't be any Slappy Squirrel shorts. Since those were my favorite part of the original show.

Two new trailers dropped while we were out:

The animation itself is...varied. Some shots look great, fluid and clearly hand-drawn: the horror scenes, man-splainy bit, the pegasus, the gladiator with the unfortunately-drawn nether region hair. Other parts were clearly auto-tweened: the trio walking across the girl's TV, Brain's robo-suit, and the worst example of all, the Hanna-Barbara shot. There's quite a few animation studios working on it, so it makes sense the quality would vary like it did in the first series.

Audibly, the trailers sound perfect. Everyone in the core cast has settled back in unquestionably well. We got Jim Cummings back on the show as the gladiator, and Jon Bailey joins the show as the pegasus. The music's also set to return with a full orchestra, and what we hear of the theme song sounds great so far to me.

It's still a darn shame they didn't get Tom Ruegger or Sherri Stoner on board. The former was the guy who basically gave birth to the thing, just as much if not more than Spielberg, and Stoner was the one who stole the show as Slappy. There will always be a hollow feeling to this revival with leaving them out.

But that's not to say it won't be good, possibly even great. Gabe Swarr, the head of animation, I know from his prior work and his comic Life in the Analog Age, and I've got complete faith in his ability. He and Wellesley Wild talk about their work on the show here: https://www.animationmagazine.net/st...ks-animaniacs/

I'm optimistic. I got Hulu again just to watch it this month, so here's hoping it lives up to the legacy.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

First episode is free on their Twitter

https://twitter.com/TheAnimaniacs/st...29817408475141

Spoiler:
    Pretty solid outing. Both songs were good but Yakko's singing sounds a little off. Pinky and Brain got some good solid laughs outta me. Tho I think I'd have liked the resolution better if it wasn't directly Pinky's fault and Brain just miscalculated how quickly people pass from meme to meme.

Unavoidable references to Trump but at least it looks like hes being depicted as a loser wannabe overlord and not with playful ribbing.

There were a number of scenes tbat could have had Goodfeathers cameos instead of generic birds. Ah well.
    Last edited by Conekiller; November 19th, 2020 at 10:55 PM.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    Both songs were good but Yakko's singing sounds a little off.
    Well, Paulsen IS 64 now. He's kept his voice in shape (not as well as Frank Welker) but age is age. He's not going to sound like he did in his 30's.

Kinda like how the entire Inu Yasha cast returned for the new show and none of them sounded quite right.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Just watched the first episode. Yeah, the characters all sound a bit off since the cast is 20 years older, but they still have their personalities and the humor down. The animation is kinda hit and miss and it's a bit disappointing that it really does look like they're only bringing back The Warners and Pinky & the Brain, but I'll see how the rest of the season plays out.

I watched the first two eps so far, and it's solid. I really loved some of the animation and character design, especially in the second P&tB short. It has some Dumm Comics alumni working on it, which I dig: Gabe Swarr (Analog Age) like I mentioned earlier, and Katie Rice (Skadi). And the songs are fun if not particularly hummable, though I definitely noticed some stand in work in the reboot song. I'm skipping to the last ep to see the return of a character that apparently only shows up once, but I'll catch the rest soon.

UPDATE: The last ep was fine and all. But Ii went on to #3, and it's, dare I say it...perfect.
    Last edited by Shift; November 20th, 2020 at 03:13 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Saw the first ep, gotta admit it was a little off-putting and kinda sad without the other characters in the theme song. They might add more as we go on, but at the current there's just that nagging feeling in me it doesn't feel as wild.

Otherwise though, still just as funny as the original and all the VAs are still on point, though as mentioned, older sounding but that not a deterrent for me, especially if they're still having fun. Just awesome hearing them all again. The animation will take some getting used to, not as smooth as the original (well later half of the original) but does help with the snappier pace of the jokes. Not a bad kickoff, so let's see where this goes.

I watched the first two eps so far, and it's solid. I really loved some of the animation and character design, especially in the second P&tB short. It has some Dumm Comics alumni working on it, which I dig: Gabe Swarr (Analog Age) like I mentioned earlier, and Katie Rice (Skadi). And the songs are fun if not particularly hummable, though I definitely noticed some stand in work in the reboot song. I'm skipping to the last ep to see the return of a character that apparently only shows up once, but I'll catch the rest soon.
    Oh yeah I remember Katie mentioning on Twitter she got hired on this show.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    The animation will take some getting used to, not as smooth as the original (well later half of the original) but does help with the snappier pace of the jokes.
    That's definitely a symptom of multiple studios working on separate segments. Ep 3 is exquisite in that regard, especially the first segment.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Left a good impression on me, as I hardly remember if I ever watched the OG Animaniacs.
    More of a fan of Pinky & Brain, had a longer run of public tv here.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well, Paulsen IS 64 now. He's kept his voice in shape (not as well as Frank Welker) but age is age. He's not going to sound like he did in his 30's.
    Not only that, he beat Throat Cancer only a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

It felt like Animaniacs. Really enjoyed it.

Apparently the second season came out last week. And no one said anything? What are you folks even good for?

Overall I was fine with the first batch. Nothing amazing and really felt the lack of variety in not having other skits, but it felt like Animaniacs.

I've been watching it. It's...Warner Bros. and Pinky and the Brain. Just as good as last season. So if that's what you want, then yeah, you'll probably have a good time.

And yeah, it is a shame that they're limiting themselves to just those two cartoons. Gets kinda old after a while. I'm eight episodes in and they haven't even tried any one-off experiments like in the first season.

I really really hate the designs on all the human characters. They're really ugly and offputting.

It really does suck that there's zero variety. Yeah the Warners and P&B were consistently the stronger skits, but the VARIETY of having a huge ensemble... well... gave the show variety. Sure everyone hated Mindy and Buttons except for Spielberg's kids, but Slappy was great and RIta and Runt was my favorite that introduces me to a lot of musicals. Even Goodfeathers were fun a few times. Colin (the Randy Beaman kid) and Mime Time Good Idea Bad Idea were fun little short bursts. Even minerva Mink, who was too much for the censors and basically pulled out of rotation after two skits left an impression.

Only watched the first episode of the new season so far. ANd I did not like it.. I realize that these episodes were *written* two or even three years ago, but geez do they have to keep going after Trump as a target? The jokes are old and tired and in the first season they did Trump multiple times, and he's in the first episode of this season as well.

The tiny hands and toupee jokes are old guys. I understand the frustration but its just... dated and out of place the minute it airs?

And they even reused Model of a Modern major General? REALLY? When they'd already used that brilliantly? They even called themselves out on it!

And reuing the nitpicking nerd from the please please please get a life foundation didn't help either. Pointing out in the show that you know yhour rehashing things or doing a bad job doesn't make it funny... it just shows that you do actually know better and you just don't care.

Hopefully the rest of the season fares better.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information