+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 106

Thread: General Square Enix Thread II

  1. #61

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    They confirmed the next DLC character is a male villain....so Gilgamesh?

    Locke dream is dead, not like I care who's really being added or what.

    https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/sta...88588931162113

    And yes it will take a over a full year of release to release the whole season pass, seems like Arcade will get the new characters first as well btw....

  2. #62

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Male villain from the first portion of the series?

    Gilgamesh would be a returning character, so that wouldn't make sense. So, a male villain from the first half of the series.
    1 = ...Dark Elf?
    2 = Leon, perhaps. But why would they pull from 2?
    3 = Xande is a possibility.
    4 = Rubicante?
    5 = Nothing good comes to mind...
    6 = General Leo, technically. Otherwise, Orthos would be neat.
    7 = One of the Turks, Genesis, or one of the Sephiroth brothers

    I'm not really liking any of these options. I can see them working though.

  3. #63

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    FF beyond XII has turned me off of the series, but I'd like to fill the jobs from 1, as skins from other games,

    Like the warrior of light is fighter, Zidane is thief, I'd guess Bartz as the red mage, Aeris (yuna? DAGGER!?, the cat lady from XIV?) as the white mage, Vivi (Shanoto?, terra (wouldn't like this look on her)?) as the black mage and Tifa as the monk.

    I'd say get EVERYONE in here as skins, but Cyan/Leo/Bellatrix/Sephirot would be.. strange.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  4. #64
    Just badass Sano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Keokuk, Iowa

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Shadow of the Tomb Raider have been announced. It will be on both Xbox one and PS4.

    http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/...ally-announced

    Also here's the trailer.


  5. #65

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Sometimes I forgot FF had races like Elves and Dwarves.

    Spoiler:

  6. #66

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider have been announced.
    Another example of worst kept secret.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  7. #67

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    So, partly on a lark and partly to test out the computer I built last year, bought the updated version of FFXV, which I enjoyed despite it being flawed.

    ...it may be a worse game after all the updates. If the initial problem with FFXV was how fragmentary everything felt, it's made the problem worse by basically segmenting all the new stuff into its own little area instead of any real integration with the game.

  8. #68
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    I'm still trying to get over the idea of an RPG where the story gets patched

  9. #69
    GOLDEN DRIVE! GOODNIGHT! MrBits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New York

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Didn’t Mass Effect 3 already do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

  10. #70

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Well, fallout 3 came out like 10 years ago.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  11. #71
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    I don't tend to play Western RPG's much. Think my last one was Might & Magic VI!

    I remember a bit of that Mass Effect kerfuffle though. Something to do with all your choices through the games only leading to different colours in your ending or somesuch? Did they patch it to something good?

  12. #72

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits View Post
    Didn’t Mass Effect 3 already do that?
    Sidestory post-game DLC is a different beast than "new area in an open world in the middle of the game with new mechanics that don't carry anywhere else"

    Lots of RPGs have post-game DLC. Witcher 3 and Horizon and Dragon Age did it... but it was basically whole new chapters, follow up, not... something in the middle somehow that doesn't affect anything around it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    I don't tend to play Western RPG's much. Think my last one was Might & Magic VI!

    I remember a bit of that Mass Effect kerfuffle though. Something to do with all your choices through the games only leading to different colours in your ending or somesuch? Did they patch it to something good?
    In short, your choices still mattered for 99,9% of the game, but the last three minutes of the game, the big final choice was basically an out of nowhere out of your control thing, and you didn't get the option everyone wanted "go fight the badguys and stomp them." ...when the badguys were a millions year old unstoppable force with vastly superior weapons and ships.

    It was a story choice that made perfect sense in "well the only way to actually beat these guys was...." If it were a movie or a novel it would have been perfectly fine ending, but as a video game it was a bad route to go because it disconnected a bit from everything before it and took away player choice. ANd yes, the actual visual of the ending was rushed, because EA pushed arbitrary deadline on them and the ending was the last thing they did instead of the first.

    They patched a better more cinematic version with more cut scenes and dialogue about a month later that made it flow better like a director's cut, but didn't change the ending.

    Then there was later paid for DLC that was extra adventures and a an endgame party to say farewell to everyone that fleshed it all out.


    I'll never understand exactly why people expected the ending to have 80,000 unique variants tailored to what they had done along the way that reflected every action they had ever taken, because that was just never going to happen. As is all your choices still carried and made differences until the ending, it was just the very last final thing that wasn't really affected by all your choices. The fates and lives of all the other races were still changed by what you'd done.
    Last edited by Robby; March 19th, 2018 at 10:15 AM.

  13. #73
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Nobody expected like a billion different choices, but we were hoping for more than, y'know, three.

  14. #74
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    In short, your choices still mattered for 99,9% of the game, but the last three minutes of the game, the big final choice was basically an out of nowhere out of your control thing, and you didn't get the option everyone wanted "go fight the badguys and stomp them." ...when the badguys were a millions year old unstoppable force with vastly superior weapons and ships.

    It was a story choice that made perfect sense in "well the only way to actually beat these guys was...." If it were a movie or a novel it would have been perfectly fine ending, but as a video game it was a bad route to go because it disconnected a bit from everything before it and took away player choice. ANd yes, the actual visual of the ending was rushed, because EA pushed arbitrary deadline on them and the ending was the last thing they did instead of the first.

    They patched a better more cinematic version with more cut scenes and dialogue about a month later that made it flow better like a director's cut, but didn't change the ending.

    Then there was later paid for DLC that was extra adventures and a an endgame party to say farewell to everyone that fleshed it all out.


    I'll never understand exactly why people expected the ending to have 80,000 unique variants tailored to what they had done along the way that reflected every action they had ever taken, because that was just never going to happen. As is all your choices still carried and made differences until the ending, it was just the very last final thing that wasn't really affected by all your choices. The fates and lives of all the other races were still changed by what you'd done.
    Ah, I see .

  15. #75

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    I wish that they made the "fight with the ancient aliens and lose, badly" option. The only other media with this kind of plot (us vs the ancients) were lucky as there were more than one race of ancients, and they in the end wanted something that concerned the younger races and managed to pull them to fight eachother to a standstill, so they could be reasoned with. While the reapers just want to make reaper babies.

    Even if the last choice wasn't as varied as some might want, you already had created a unique timeline with your actions. I could make do, instead of fighting eternaly for the 3 lights.

    And they added the end of the world party in the dlc, that was the happy ending before the ending.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  16. #76

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Nobody expected like a billion different choices, but we were hoping for more than, y'know, three.
    With the first game having essentially two different endings (with two different variants for each which would become meaningless) and the second game also having three different endings (with a multitude of minor variants based upon who died) along with having the color gimmick that people derided the 3rd game over, it was kind of a bit much to ask for especially for a game that was rushed through development.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; March 19th, 2018 at 08:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  17. #77

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Every nagging little issue with FFXV feels so much worse after playing Ys VIII.

  18. #78

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    I wish that they made the "fight with the ancient aliens and lose, badly" option..
    When they did the expansion on the ending they added in that fourth choice actually.

    And they absolutely lost. Badly.

  19. #79

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Confession time: never played 3, just binged on cutscenes. Could not pay in origin back then, no interest on it right now.

    I remember seeing a video of the "Fight!" ending, but it was a fan video where they won.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  20. #80

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Sooooooo, I was--and in some ways, am--an apologist for FFXV, but the deeper I'm getting into it again, the more I'm struggling to defend that position.

    Today's topic: this is the worst combat system in a Final Fantasy game, and one of the worst in RPGs in general.

    I mean, it looks great, and it initially feels pretty good, and there's a certain visceral level where it seems to work. But it is so damned simple. All the techniques and magic from previous games has been stripped down to one technique per character at a time (and it's so annoying to equip and unequip them and some are so situational that you really end up running the same three techniques for 90% of the game), magic is primarily down to three types that tend to nuke your own party more than the enemy, and the dozen little unlockable things in the abilities menu really don't give you anything you'll use more than once or twice in the game and mostly by accident. Oh, and all those weapons and the much-vaunted weapon-switching? Yeah, you won't be using that. But what about those cool Arms of the King? Well, there's a dozen of them, you have four slots, and each one saps your HP, and when you run out of HP, you just stagger around hoping the partner AI will eventually remember to come help you out (or slowly use an item).

    Combat is 90% Warpstriking to a point, targeting an enemy, Warpstriking in, then back out, then back in ad infinitum. If you can't win, just gain a few levels. There's almost zero nuance or skill save for a few small choices in longer fights. I'm fighting with similar effectiveness 20 hours in with the exact same approach I took at the beginning.

    Bleeeeeeh.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts