+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: General Square Enix Thread II

Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

I like those character designs, even if there's a little too much black and you can definitely play "spot the Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts character" with a few of them. Like the first game they're still exaggerated and cartoony, but avoid the tackiness that Nomura's infamous for. Square Enix has always been good about this, but it's also cool that they managed to bring back all the voice actors for the returning characters even the ones who, as far as I know, don't normally do video game work.

The trailer doesn't provide much context though. It looks like this time around the Reapers' Game has Players forming teams and they're allowed to directly attack each other? Come to think of it, the only Players you ever actually encountered in the first game outside of the main group was that one delinquent couple. And I guess the presence of the Shinjuku Reapers is supposed to tie in to the Switch port's new content. Need to see more details on the battle system too - it looks like everyone can only equip a single pin at a time and the new Light Puck-esque mechanic lets you trigger combo attacks.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    July 27.

Yes pls.
    What is this game about? It looks interesting

Urban fantasy action RPG set in Shibuya, Tokyo where teenagers find themselves trapped in a "Reaper's Game" that they must win or be erased from existence.

The original game was released on the Nintendo DS back in 2007 and used virtually every last one of the handheld's features in clever ways that tied into the game's themes albeit with an unorthodox battle system that's not to everyone's liking. The World Ends with You has a very strong punk aesthetic and, most importantly, had a good story that avoided embarrassing itself like many other modern-day Square Enix titles are prone to do.

NEO, the sequel up there, probably won't require playing the original game to understand everything but that trailer is already showcasing a chunk of returning characters from it, one of them even being a party member this time. If you're interested enough to give the original game a whirl and don't want to track down a DS copy The World Ends with You is also available on mobile and the Switch, though with an altered battle system since the original required two screens. The Switch port has an extra story chapter that supposedly ties in to NEO.

Crossword already answered your question as well as I could possibly do... but when he says "and used virtually every last one of the handheld's features in clever ways " that's an understatement.

I have not seen a game before or since that used every feature of that thing nearly so well. The touch control features on the botom screen while simultaneously having a different battle going on in the top screen that used the arrows, and switching between them? Combat abilities using the stylus like whirls and loops and straight line slashes, so that the power up choices weren't just about pickign the best attacks, but the ones that synergized and were most comfortable to do together... it was really something else and no other system will ever have a combat quite like it. Any ports or sequels are by necessity going to be lacking *that*... though it seems like this one is keeping the style pretty good.

It also had a banger of a soundtrack punching well above the weightclass of a handheld. In both Japanese AND English.

Hidden:

Last edited by Robby; April 12th, 2021 at 11:18 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The dual screen thing wasn’t so much of a plus tho, clever as it might be it was a high barrier of entry to getting good in the game, to follow two simultaneous battles, and the ones at the top screen weren’t that interesting compared to the wide number of powers and skills required at the bottom screen, but it was still needed because the big finishers and the combo system required cooperation.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

One of my small worries is that it’s been said that this game is a sequel to the anime. It’s likely just to keep things consistent to modern times, but you see episode 1 and it’s...ughh. But while they are so far fairly faithful to the game, there’s enough minute details here and there that makes me wonder what aspects they might try retconning that transfers over to the sequel.

I’m also trying not to speculate too much though. Excited to experience the game fresh.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    The dual screen thing wasn’t so much of a plus tho, clever as it might be it was a high barrier of entry to getting good in the game, to follow two simultaneous battles, and the ones at the top screen weren’t that interesting compared to the wide number of powers and skills required at the bottom screen, but it was still needed because the big finishers and the combo system required cooperation.
    they did have auto mode though for people who didn’t dig the system, so it becomes optional at the end of things
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

I'm not sure you are able to do the rematch bosses, extra noises or high difficulty encounters with auto beat failing to match cards.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I used the setting where the partner's on auto but the player can jump in at any time. Worked out well.

No effin way!

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    No effin way!

Oh man, those Boss Battles and Summons look epic!

I don't know who any of the characters are but still looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post

I don't know who any of the characters are but still looks great

Ah, Dirge of Cerberus. That would be why I recognize literally none of that.

Figured it had to be something, that was way too many specific designs to be random filler.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Development of the next release is going so smooth Nomura already wanted to start showing stuff, but Kitase won't allow him yet.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Chaos?

Chaos!!!

The guy with the big sword is so out of place wearing that casual t-shirt.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

This feels like if someone took Dragon Quest 3, made it grimdark and the hero's focus being "I MUST KILL ZOMA".

Hard pass.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Why does that look like a ps3 game? The models, the textures, everything screams 10 year old game.

Also in general, I'm kinda getting sick of that really awkward way japanese animated/motion captured video game characters unaturally gesture wildly. It was acceptable a few generations back, but when I see it in FF7 Remake, Monster Hunter World and even this...thing, it just really takes me out of the game
    . It ends up looking funnier than I feel they intended it to.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    Why does that look like a ps3 game? The models, the textures, everything screams 10 year old game.

Also in general, I'm kinda getting sick of that really awkward way japanese animated/motion captured video game characters unaturally gesture wildly. It was acceptable a few generations back, but when I see it in FF7 Remake, Monster Hunter World and even this...thing, it just really takes me out of the game
    Many of these games let your characters goofily emote I think they’re supposed to look goofy even if it creates tonal dissonance. As for why the game looks dated? Welcome to japanese game design where old is new...though to be honest the game doesn’t look that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    so out of place wearing that casual t-shirt.
    Sounds like Final Fantasy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    This feels like if someone took Dragon Quest 3, made it grimdark and the hero's focus being "I MUST KILL ZOMA".
    In order for that to happen wouldn’t the hero have to have three ability to talk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Intelligence Department, Novus Orbis Librarium

So I guess it's safe to assume that this is Square's reimagining of the first Final Fantasy? If so, WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?

C'mon now.

I actually hope the later stages of the development turn out FAR better than what is currently being teased, because all I'm left with right now is total distaste.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post

The graphics are the least of this project's issues right now. But that's maybe because I'm not a big graphics guy and most of my favorite video games have graphics that the current generation would frown upon (older console games).
    Last edited by Sick_Fool; June 14th, 2021 at 06:19 AM.
    "Yes, I'm only bones, but that's because I have an interest... in dieting."

-Gentleman Skeleton Brook

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information