+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread: General Square Enix Thread II

Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

It really depends on how big they want to make the games from here on out.

They basically say it's still undecided how many parts their will be due to them debating how big they should make each part:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EW1YkoSUMAA9e5R?format=jpg

I'm assuming i'll get the same feel from this as i got from the RE2 remake, that while it is nice it isn't resident evil 2, and that i'd probably prefer a shot by shot remake in updated graphics kind of like the gamecube remake of RE1.

If they made a HD remaster of the original with a completely overhauled translation and skippable summon sequences I'd be more than happy.

Keep the LEGO men, they're great.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    If they made a HD remaster of the original with a completely overhauled translation and skippable summon sequences I'd be more than happy.

Keep the LEGO men, they're great.
    What you don't like watching knights of the round on an endless loop during end game?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Seiken Densetsu 3 was pretty awesome mostly though.
    Mainly by taking the worst garbage parts of Secret (the boss fights) and turning them into actually fun great times!
    Thanks for the nudge, I actually bothered to download it and it really is enjoyable. It's not Chrono Trigger levels of good (nothing is), but yes, so far I would consider it a hidden gem. Like a real hidden gem, not a hidden gem like Secret of Evermore. Which is neither hidden nor a gem.

Best part of that game is the replayability.

I played every major party combination just to see how the story changed.

Shame it never got translated before now. But better late than never.

Trials of mana has picked up once I got the weird totoro kappa thing to help me, even if it is linear as fuck, the fact that the seeds for multiple playthroughs are there is interesting, combat is simple yet entretaining, could use a little more depth, but I did chose the class with no spells, and while graphically and voice work are deficient, I for sure want the 2th round, and probably will go for all 3 main routes.

Granted, I forked up a little: Spoilers on how the game decides routes and plot:

Spoiler:

As you know there are 6 characters, you chose one protagonist and 2 supports, as I picked Kevin, Angela and Durant, I get to see the "Evil beastmen kingdom" plot route, for Kevin (and Charlotte but I didn't pick her), and bits and pieces of the "Manipulated thiefs kingdom" and a little more of the "Evil magic kingdom" because that is Angela's and Durant's route, I expected a little more from them as I had them but it was just "Oh, look, my plot, let's ignore it!"

My other file is Hawkeye, Charlotte and Rize, as Hawkeye and Rize are part of the same plotline, I'll know if it gets more balanced when you have both characters.

Third run should be Angela, Durant and someone that is definitelly not Kevin nor Charlotte, as I loathe their voices and spech patterns.

The warrior is probably something that is not Durant, I do not care enough to search. He's a pokemon now.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I'm assuming i'll get the same feel from this as i got from the RE2 remake, that while it is nice it isn't resident evil 2, and that i'd probably prefer a shot by shot remake in updated graphics kind of like the gamecube remake of RE1.
    I don’t think that game was a shot for shot remake of the playstation original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I don’t think that game was a shot for shot remake of the playstation original.
    Maybe i'm using the word wrong then. But to rephrase it i prefer games that build of the old blueprint with slight expansions and filling out of the blank spots in the original rather than remakes that are reimagined into very different games

Xbox Game pass is getting FF9 soon.. I got 7 and 8 on switch so im glad to get 9. I was on the 4th disc and never got past one area in the palace on the PS1/3 version
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

I know I'm a bit late in asking this, but what is your guys opinions on the new Final Fantasy 7 Remake? Is it worth buying? I was thinking of getting it, but not exactly sure if I should or not

What do you think of the battle systems, the plot (old and new), the characters etc. I'd really love to know

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I know I'm a bit late in asking this, but what is your guys opinions on the new Final Fantasy 7 Remake? Is it worth buying? I was thinking of getting it, but not exactly sure if I should or not

What do you think of the battle systems, the plot (old and new), the characters etc. I'd really love to know
    So, here's what I can say: Gameplay is execellent. It's not often you get to play an action RPG and find that each and every character you can play as is actually really fun and there is a benefit to alternating between them. I PREFER TURN BASED CLASSIC COMBAT, but that's just a preference. For what this game is, the combat is excellent. No worries there. Same with music and sound and visuals. Everything is artistically beautiful.

The story is where things get fuzzy, but that doesn't mean the story is bad. The story is very good! The main characters are more fleshed out and interesting. There's more dialogue to make the characters more likable and entertaining. Everyone is how they should be, but better than ever! Many original scenes and moments from the past games are bigger and more fantastic than they could be, and in that vain, it's a fantastic remake/revivison/whatever. And of course, the game isn't the fully game of FF7, which is fine but needs to be noted.

The problem is, the story has a few issues:
    • The writers don't exactly believe in subtly, which in some cases is fine (namely anything dealing with political or corporate greed) but in others are kind of frustrating. The mystery of a certain character who never shows his face in the entirety of the Midgar segment is undone because they want to flaunt this character in your face every forty minutes. They add a plot point to discuss some of the plot changes they want to make. They kind of over-allude to things that will happen in the future plot, and it sometimes feels they want to look into the camera and point things out.
    • They allude and reference major plot points that, unless you have already played the original game, you have no idea what it means, and it just muddies what is possibly one of Final Fantasy's most simple plotlines. They start to introduce entire ideas that are meaningless to new players who never played the original game, and I'm not sure how they would cope with that.
    Honestly, it's a great game. If you're interested, get it. If you've played the original FF7, DEFINITELY get it. If you haven't played the original, consider waiting until it goes on sale, which it does every few months. I don't feel like, even after it gets fully released, the remake overrides the original game. There is still a benefit to playing the original game and the remake. I find that kind of frustrating because I feel like a remake should trivialize the need to play the original, but as some have pointed out, it's a revision and not a remake.

The game is fine, good even... but it actually kind of demands that you have played the original, or at least know its main beats, which is really awkward, rather than be a remake that stands on its own..

Its also unfinished and there is no telling how off the rails it might get in the future installments since they're not doing a 1-1 story anymore... and also no telling how many years it'll take to finish. Maybe it'll be three parts with an installment every year, maybe it'll be 7 parts with an installment every six months, maybe it'll be three years before the next chapter. No one, including Square themselves, actually knows. (THough since they have the graphic engine and combat done that should speed things up some for the rest.)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I haven't played it, but the fact that you didn't immediately run out and buy it tells me that you should probably wait for the inevitable upgraded PS5 port.
    They're not going to finish part 2 before the PS5 comes out, and knowing SE there will end up being games in the series that you need a PS5 to play anyway. If you wait, you can hopefully play them all on one console.

I've heard from many people that you need to play the original to fully understand what's going on in the remake series (it's really more of an alternate universe retread/possible sequel), so just get that instead.

Shared some thoughts in the previous page:

Quote Originally Posted by Yobiyopi View Post
    FF13 and FF7R share a lot of design aspects, with the latter improving many of them like the action commands and positioning as elements to consider, as long as its not the cpu. Dodges have no i-frames so their use is more situational with either luck or observation for telegraphed attacks, though many arent very generous about it, so guarding/parrying comes off as the better solution. Companions are unsalvageably stupid on their own so its nice you can switch between them at will or impart orders, though its only for attacks and not for positioning, so that can become an issue when they walk into AOE or you want to strategize differently. The only solution then is to manually switch over and move around (though the one you just lost control of will do the opposite of what you just wanted to do for someone else). Staggering is also present but with basic attacks always available regardless of ATB its far easier to build the meter than in FF13, and given elemental weaknesses its sometimes far too easy to exploit them and draining their massive hp which would be sponges otherwise. Speaking of ATB its also fairly well balanced until some materias ruin said balance, but its nice that you cant just spam healing items given their indefinite nature. Strong attacks however are too easy to pull off given how fast the ATB meter fills from your attacks but also on its own, so its rarely an issue of balancing which attacks to use.

Motomu Toriyama is the co-director and it shows more than just for some combat design, given how many corridors there are throughout, and kinda basic dungeon design alongside, with square rooms/platforms to go on for 1-2 hours in that classic fashion of: hallway - enemies - cutscenes with not much else to consider. The party is also shuffled around quite a lot like FF13, more so than in the original given its new lenght, and sometimes there is the unfortunate reality of having solo battles/sections which are drained of any strategy and in the case of Barret, it shows what a Devil May Cry 2 made today would look like. Speaking of lenght, it borders between 35-40 hours for an average playthrough, which is more or less the same as the entirety of the original. Value doesnt come off just for the quantity of content, and the pacing of FF7R pads itself out at any chance given, sometimes with the joy of going through the same dull sewer section twice. "Sidequests" are also somehow obligatory ones at times, and they dont amount to much other than slaying X number of enemies or fetching items. It gives the impression they decided first to make X parts and then how to fill them to the brim with content however meaningless or padded it may have been. Feel that from trailers/PR/opening movie, many assumed that Midgar would now be a somewhat open world/city to explore, but instead you go through the same areas at a snail pace.

Storywise is early to form complete thoughts, but the direction seems to follow a fairly bland trope, though its not impossible to turn out interesting despite all, so on that front we'll wait and see.
    Since then i would elaborate a little more on the story and pacing: many times less is more. Characters interact a lot more but most of said interactions dont stick, original beats are still good for the most part while any new addition sticks out at best or looks out of place/baffling at worst, like a certain event that would normally shake everyone's life, in this remake is treated as just ordinary administration. It doesnt help that dungeons intersect with the story putting it to a halt numerous times, which wouldnt be that bad except for how dreadfully long and uninspired they are with a few exceptions. The best one is probably the first given how short and concise it is, while the worst one by far is near the end and lasts more than 2 hours on average of samey rooms and corridors, which is a pattern you will notice in plenty others before.
    Last edited by Yobiyopi; May 21st, 2020 at 10:01 AM.

Also fuck that female cast and their Sword of Art online level of garbage and cringey dialogues.

While I can forgive the padded nature of the story, the superficial attempt at giving characterization to these caricatures and the 2008 gameplay systems, the female cast was the absolute fucking trash. Felt like I was watching some softcore hentai whenever they showed up on screen in particular Jesse. Having to sit through her godawful one-note character being thirsty for Cloud was just....uhhhhh.

Thank for the responses guy, I’m thinking of checking it out soon, when I do I’ll let you know what I think

I started playing NieR: Automata recently; I'm happy that my computer is strong enough to play it! It took me two tries to beat the prologue, but at least
    Spoiler:
    I got the W ending for dying in said prologue, so it was not at a lose.
    As well as learning the controls on the first try, and then improving and understanding them on the second. I still have a long way to go, but I'm really enjoying it. The music is incredible as well.

Besides that, I shall be starting Final Fantasy XIV to play with one of my good friends that I met on Discord, I'm also hoping to make some new friends as well on there. So, yeah been playing a lot of Square Enix games. I'm glad that they released a lot of their games on Steam, makes it more convenient and easy for me to play.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - u_U; Character - Kyoka; Series - Princess Connect! Re_Dive
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/ (Add me if you wish!)
    ~Formerly known as Stranger~

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information