+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 265

Thread: General Square Enix Thread II

  1. #221

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Am I the only one who would really like their to be multiplayer in this game?

    I don't think there is but it would be pretty damn cool

  2. #222

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Am I the only one who would really like their to be multiplayer in this game?

    I don't think there is but it would be pretty damn cool
    It is a remake of a single-player RPG in the first place that technically still functions like it was a turn-based one.

  3. #223

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    It is a remake of a single-player RPG in the first place that technically still functions like it was a turn-based one.
    Final Fantasy 6 had multiplayer.

  4. #224
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    When the graphics come at the cost of the production, release schedule, and overall scope of the game, yes. We could have had a FF7 remake a decade ago but they didn't want to touch it because of the time it would take to make it uber HD. They finally announce it's actually happening, FIVE YEARS AGO, and we're only getting the first chunk next year with no indication on how long it will take for the rest. We might be on the next console generation before it's done.

    And we don't know exactly how its all going to break down, but it sure seems like a lot of side content, thescope of the overworld in particular, (which we probably won't even see in the first part) is likely to suffer due to the limits of the graphics engine.

    The graphics are what hamstrung 13 and 15 and negatively impacted their gameplay, so...


    Not particularly. It was in a steampunk city that looked dark in terms of color pallet, but the actual characters and situations were pretty consistently bright and wacky. The story had dark mometns and mature message in spots, but the overall themes weren't significantly darker than any other game in the franchise.

    This was one of the playable characters.
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20110227161509

    There was a generation of kids where that was their first RPG, and the graphics were mind blowing at the time, so they think its deeper and darker than it actually was.

    6 has families die, countless civilian deaths, a trip through a ghost forest, and the world ends halfway through resulting in one of the characters trying to commit suicide in the start of the second act... but it also has a Moogle dancing and a tough guy suplexing trains and dinosaur fighting and a 16 bit Opera sequence. It's always a mixed bag.

    To be fair, 7 was pretty dark. It's also one of the few games that had end-of-the-world scenarios where it was going to come from two different avenues, either draining all the spirit energy out of the planet and it falling apart, and Meteor. Also what happened in Sector 7 where you actually SAW the plate fall onto people futilely fleeing for their lives and your characters just barely escaped it. Finding out why there are monsters all over the Earth, because of Jenova infecting the Ancients and mutating them like that, and then Shinra artificially reproducing this effect (like how Darkseid creates Parademons). And Cloud having to deal with his still incomplete fragmented memories and knowing he was the one who put the world in its precarious position after being manipulated by Sephiroth. Oh, and the ending which almost completely goes off the rails til the very end.

  5. #225

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    It is a remake of a single-player RPG in the first place that technically still functions like it was a turn-based one.
    4, 5, 6 and 9 all had multiplayer if you hit start on a second controller. They're turn based games so it doesn't add much the way it did for Secret of Mana, but they do have multiplayer despite being single player games. Just not of the instant online variety we're used to now.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  6. #226

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Twenty-two years later Final Fantasy VII (and VIII) is finally on a physical Nintendo cartridge.

    Only for Asia (so far...?) but with English support and the Switch being region-free and all...


    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  7. #227

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    FF7 was pretty dark.
    Human experimentation, identity theft and loss(or none at all), death of a main, said death was treated slumberly, monotone atmosphere, burning villages, corporate greed, slavery, mental illness...

  8. #228

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    FF7 was pretty dark.
    Human experimentation, identity theft and loss(or none at all), death of a main, said death was treated slumberly, monotone atmosphere, burning villages, corporate greed, slavery, mental illness...
    You also had the main character dressing in drag, being attended by a bunch of burly sweaty men, a sequence where a pet dolphin helps you get over a wall, a snowboarding mini-game, a slapfight mini game between two of the girls, you can end up on a date with Barrett, a dog trying to wear the uniform of the badguys, an enemy that does a jig while you fight him who you then hit with a truck, Barrett in a sailor suit, Tifa can suplex an enemy of ANY size, and a cat plush piloting a giant fat moogle plush, and the entire overall atmosphere of the game being affected by the inherent look of chibi sprites over-emoting.

    The game had darkness in it, but it wasn't any darker than the other games around it.
    Last edited by Robby; September 20th, 2019 at 10:09 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  9. #229

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    I think it's just more important to recognize that Final Fantasy VII was a hodgepodge Frankenstein of tone, cause none of that stuff changes the fact that FF7 is probably a whole shade darker than even FF6.

    Which was probably the most exciting thing about the TGS trailer for me. Seeing a lot of the game's lighter elements on display won me over in a way I didnt expect them to. If they can balance FF7 at its darkest with FF7 at its silliest without suffering tonal whiplash, it will be a win for me.

  10. #230

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    You also had the main character dressing in drag, being attended by a bunch of burly sweaty men, a sequence where a pet dolphin helps you get over a wall, a snowboarding mini-game, a slapfight mini game between two of the girls, you can end up on a date with Barrett, a dog trying to wear the uniform of the badguys, an enemy that does a jig while you fight him who you then hit with a truck, Barrett in a sailor suit, Tifa can suplex an enemy of ANY size, and a cat plush piloting a giant fat moogle plush, and the entire overall atmosphere of the game being affected by the inherent look of chibi sprites over-emoting.

    The game had darkness in it, but it wasn't any darker than the other games around it.
    Wasnt all of those fillerish comedic fan service kinda esque content that doesn't affect the story much or at all if removed..?
    I dont get the logic of having some light heartedness in a 40 hour long game and would you honestly rather be having all of them be emo.
    Isnt implementing that in world kind of plus points for creativity too.
    Bits of your point comes off like nitpicking.
    Other games before it didnt deal with science jumbo mumbo either.

    But i do agree with the fact that its nowhere as dark as say Tactics or Type0

  11. #231

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    The point is the game was dark, but it wasn't dark the entire time, it was full of comedy and lighthearted bits and silly side characters.

    Later interpretations of the game like in Advent CHildren and whatnot present it as all serious all the time when... it really wasn't.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  12. #232

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    I could expound on this more, but I just finished Shadowbringers after a three-month power-through of FFXIV and it's the best FF experience since at least X. Story, music, character are all top in class. Square can still pull it all together on occasion.

    Of particular note:
    -the villain is basically what they tried to do in XV but executed almost flawlessly.
    -XIV excels over other MMOs in that the character you play is the true hero of the story and not, say, an accessory for the storyline heroes in other games of the genre like WoW
    -there are two storylines that literally pay off stuff that was hinted at dozens of hours earlier in the game
    -the XIV community is shockingly non-toxic and helpful compared to others of the type; in 100+ dungeon runs, think I had three groups that were bad experiences

    For real, though, if you have a system capable of playing it, it's very possible to play through FFXIV like a solo campaign with occasional mandatory groupings and get a great story and gameplay. If the whole MMO-grouping thing gives you anxiety, just play DPS and you'll mostly just get ignored (though it takes some time to get into dungeons).

  13. #233

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    I could expound on this more, but I just finished Shadowbringers after a three-month power-through of FFXIV and it's the best FF experience since at least X. Story, music, character are all top in class. Square can still pull it all together on occasion.

    Of particular note:
    -the villain is basically what they tried to do in XV but executed almost flawlessly.
    -XIV excels over other MMOs in that the character you play is the true hero of the story and not, say, an accessory for the storyline heroes in other games of the genre like WoW
    -there are two storylines that literally pay off stuff that was hinted at dozens of hours earlier in the game
    -the XIV community is shockingly non-toxic and helpful compared to others of the type; in 100+ dungeon runs, think I had three groups that were bad experiences

    For real, though, if you have a system capable of playing it, it's very possible to play through FFXIV like a solo campaign with occasional mandatory groupings and get a great story and gameplay. If the whole MMO-grouping thing gives you anxiety, just play DPS and you'll mostly just get ignored (though it takes some time to get into dungeons).
    Honestly, yeah. Shadowbringers is the best thing to come out of XIV. It was the best thing to come out of XIV, which I already liked. Every single character is wonderful, from the most minor of character to the biggest badie. I'd be worried about the post-story, but Stormblood's post-story was so much better than Stormblood's actual story. So, we shall see.

  14. #234

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    I've honestly never played a Final Fantasy game, but I assume, based on how popular they seem to be, that there's constantly debates over which one is the best in terms of gameplay, characters, story and World building

  15. #235

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Pretty much hell every once awhile people who played VIII argue debate over it's Junction system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  16. #236
    Charming Man Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I've honestly never played a Final Fantasy game, but I assume, based on how popular they seem to be, that there's constantly debates over which one is the best in terms of gameplay, characters, story and World building
    Each game has its fans, but VI, VII, and IX are generally considered the best ones.

  17. #237

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I've honestly never played a Final Fantasy game, but I assume, based on how popular they seem to be, that there's constantly debates over which one is the best in terms of gameplay, characters, story and World building

    The only correct answer for best one is 6, but its okay if your personal favorite is 4, 5, or 9.

    If your favorite is 7 you're a poser who never played any of the others.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  18. #238
    Division Commander Daz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Limbo

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    I feel like at this point "6 is the best one!" Is a sort of knee-jerk reaction akin to "Citizen Kane is the best movie".

    (not that people don't legitimately like it of course)
    Last edited by Daz; September 23rd, 2019 at 07:06 AM.

  19. #239
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The King Engine

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    7 is my favorite of the ones I've played. My ranking of those:

    7, 12, 6, 9, 13, 15.

  20. #240

    Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

    You will never find conscious on what are the best Final Fantasy's.

    Every region, generation, player and such will have different taste.

    Like Japan/Asia region isn't fond of FF6 (FF4 is the popular one and people love FF5) while overhere in the states people love 6

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts