+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: General Square Enix Thread II

Default Re: General Square Enix Thread II

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    The E3 trailer actually showed several boss fights from later in the game, like Airbuster and Aps and even had footage of Shinra HQ. The E3 trailer actually showed further into the game than this trailer seems to.
    I haven't played the game in a million years. All the boss battles look like regular enemies to me in this day and age where big enemies are common in any game, and outside of the Weapons and maybe the midgar serpent none of the boss fights are particularly iconic. All I know is all the *scenery* looked identical to the opening area, and all of Midgar looks samey. This one actually had new locations and characters and moments I recognized.
    Last edited by Robby; September 11th, 2019 at 04:00 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Looks like there going to keep the whole Cloud in a dress thing

I believe they confirmed that was going to be in the game months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

...They have literal fireworks go off when Cloud sees Aeris?

...They literally have Aeris and Tifa tugging on Clouds arms?

...And they appear to have turned the staircase sequence into an action setpiece?

Oh my. This looks obnoxious and misguided. Especially because of the super-serious super-real presentation. Maybe if they had opted for a more abstract, fantastical artstyle, maybe even omitting voice acting it’d have counterbalanced the tropey characters and dialogue and made it seem more tonally cohesive. But sadly we’ll just have to imagine such a game.

Seriously, tonally everything I see from this game is driving me up the wall. Taking Final Fantasy VII SUPER DUPER SERIOUSLY with hyper real models and voice actors for the stilted dialogue is for me akin to making hyper-real Muppets or Steven Universe. The original presentation didn't hamper the "true potential" of the story, they disarmed the inherent sillyness and tropey-ness of it. Barret is a lot easier to swallow as an archetype when you don't have to actually hear him talk in immaculately rendered glory. i keep saying this, but its gonna be Lion King 2019 all over again.
    Last edited by Daz; September 12th, 2019 at 04:38 AM.

^ I mean no one's really complaining about uncanny valley with the game too busy nursing hurt feelings over Tifa's breast size along with being confused as to how much of the game is going to be released over the next 5 year period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Its not so much "uncanny valley" as it is tonal incompability between the material and presentation. Seeing the FFVII story unfold with voice acting and realistic, dramatic staging doesn't make it cooler, it makes it awkward and ridiculous.

Hey, ADvent CHildren was the pinnacle of high art!

I remember literally nothing about it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Honestly, I'm as excited as many people about the remake. I just roll my eyes whenever I read any complaints about the drama, voice acting or the use of "tropes". Clearly, we're not looking at the product with the same eyes, and I'm totally fine with it.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Discovered Stowaway

I honestly don't care about the new presentation of the whole thing, if they were going to remake it, just do a remaster and add a few more dungeons, breeds of chocobos and maybe re-tool the materia system a little bit.

I'm just going to wait for the full game, assuming it gets finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    Honestly, I'm as excited as many people about the remake. I just roll my eyes whenever I read any complaints about the drama, voice acting or the use of "tropes". Clearly, we're not looking at the product with the same eyes, and I'm totally fine with it.
    I'm with you. Just really looking forward to playing it and getting more hyped with every trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    ...They have literal fireworks go off when Cloud sees Aeris?

...They literally have Aeris and Tifa tugging on Clouds arms?

...And they appear to have turned the staircase sequence into an action setpiece?

Oh my. This looks obnoxious and misguided. Especially because of the super-serious super-real presentation. Maybe if they had opted for a more abstract, fantastical artstyle, maybe even omitting voice acting it’d have counterbalanced the tropey characters and dialogue and made it seem more tonally cohesive. But sadly we’ll just have to imagine such a game.

Seriously, tonally everything I see from this game is driving me up the wall. Taking Final Fantasy VII SUPER DUPER SERIOUSLY with hyper real models and voice actors for the stilted dialogue is for me akin to making hyper-real Muppets or Steven Universe. The original presentation didn't hamper the "true potential" of the story, they disarmed the inherent sillyness and tropey-ness of it. Barret is a lot easier to swallow as an archetype when you don't have to actually hear him talk in immaculately rendered glory. i keep saying this, but its gonna be Lion King 2019 all over again.
    Are you suggesting they should have used a less serious form of graphics? Like how Nintendo did the wind weaker game? what visual style would you have chosen?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Are you suggesting they should have used a less serious form of graphics? Like how Nintendo did the wind weaker game? what visual style would you have chosen?
    PS1 era graphics by the time of FF9, or early PS2 graphics like in FF10 would have been fine, and then later given another pass for HD on the PS3. Remake could have been uprezzed and done in a fairly short time instead of taking a million years.

Going so photorealistic so that it takes 5 years to create just the first part of the game is ridiculous. It was also wasted effort on FF13 that caused them to make the game a corridor, and a waste on FF15 where they had to release the game unfinished even after a full decade of development that was supposed to come out in the previous console generation as part of FF13...
    Last edited by Robby; September 13th, 2019 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    PS1 era graphics by the time of FF9, or early PS2 graphics like in FF10 would have been fine, and then later given another pass for HD on the PS3. Remake could have been uprezzed and done in a fairly short time instead of taking a million years.

Going so photorealistic so that it takes 5 years to create just the first part of the game is ridiculous. It was also wasted effort on FF13 that caused them to make the game a corridor, and a waste on FF15 where they had to release the game unfinished.
    Graphics should be second to good gameplay, that's always been my opinion

kind of like with mangas, series with terrible art work but amazing story characters and world building like Hunter X Hunter or Mob psycho 100 and One Punch Man become huge hits and explode in popularity, and then sometimes like One Punch man if they become popular enough get a re drawn version

where as I've seen dozens of mangas with beautiful and amazing artwork that's an absolute train wreck in every other aspect that doesn't end up making any sort of impact in pop culture

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Going so photorealistic so that it takes 5 years to create just the first part of the game is ridiculous. It was also wasted effort on FF13 that caused them to make the game a corridor, and a waste on FF15 where they had to release the game unfinished.
    I probably would've gone for a chibi artstyle.
    Granted, I've barely played the original, but I can't imagine the scene of cloud getting gang-raped by an army of muscle men will go over well with hyperrealistic graphics.

Wait people are upset about this game because the graphics are too good?
    I'm confused. Wasn't 7 the darkest storyline?

People are upset that, because the game is so highly detailed and beautiful, the game will be divided into chapters, and that if they game was less detailed, maybe we could get the whole game in one release.

I can understand where they're coming from. Honestly, I'm still hoping for a remake of 5 and 6, but those don't have to be super detailed either. Something along the lines of how the DS remakes of 3 and 4 would be fine.

But I won't lie, this game is beautiful and I'm in no rush for each of the chapters. Especially when Animal Crossing is coming out at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Wait people are upset about this game because the graphics are too good?
    When the graphics come at the cost of the production, release schedule, and overall scope of the game, yes. We could have had a FF7 remake a decade ago but they didn't want to touch it because of the time it would take to make it uber HD. They finally announce it's actually happening, FIVE YEARS AGO, and we're only getting the first chunk next year with no indication on how long it will take for the rest. We might be on the next console generation before it's done.

And we don't know exactly how its all going to break down, but it sure seems like a lot of side content, thescope of the overworld in particular, (which we probably won't even see in the first part) is likely to suffer due to the limits of the graphics engine.

The graphics are what hamstrung 13 and 15 and negatively impacted their gameplay, so...
    I'm confused. Wasn't 7 the darkest storyline?
    Not particularly. It was in a steampunk city that looked dark in terms of color pallet, but the actual characters and situations were pretty consistently bright and wacky. The story had dark mometns and mature message in spots, but the overall themes weren't significantly darker than any other game in the franchise.

This was one of the playable characters.

There was a generation of kids where that was their first RPG, and the graphics were mind blowing at the time, so they think its deeper and darker than it actually was.

6 has families die, countless civilian deaths, a trip through a ghost forest, and the world ends halfway through resulting in one of the characters trying to commit suicide in the start of the second act... but it also has a Moogle dancing and a tough guy suplexing trains and dinosaur fighting and a 16 bit Opera sequence. It's always a mixed bag.
    Last edited by Robby; September 14th, 2019 at 06:38 AM.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Show me HD Cloud in a dress you cowards.

Ah thanks for the explanation. I get the divide.
    My own take on this is that I'm just glad we are getting it and largely due to time and how mellowed I've become over the years, I don't see myself playing it until everything is out.
    But I'm the odd one for thinking that. Square Enix has changed over the last decade, becoming a shell of what it originally stood for and also the usual corporate greed.
    It could potentially be a soulless work yet it was a large part of my childhood and I'm excited because it is the graphics are way beyond and above any other games of this genre.
    That and nostalgia speaking.
    I agree with the upset on separating the games into parts.
    It's sad that it is acceptable for a huge portion of its intended audience but I'm pretty sure they knew the fans would eat anything up.
    So uh tldr, reality sucks but I'm glad I get tifa and aerith in HD because I'm low tier

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information