+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Animation Winter 2018

Default Re: Animation Winter 2018

Wow, that page flip Hellshake Yano segment in Pop Team Epic was great.

Last edited by Sakonosolo; February 18th, 2018 at 12:05 AM.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Sooo... This just happened

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf655uvF...ource=ig_embed (pink mecha-series skinsuit alert, mildly NSFW)

Kim Kardashian is apparently loving Darling in the FranXX and ummm... Zero Two is her Waifu. She even coloured her hair pink to show her love. Now, can someone help me find my original Universe? I seem to have stumbled into an alternate one that's slightly more insane at some point in 2015.
    -_- o_o O_O ...Agree to disagree sounds about right. Holy moly.
    I'm such a bad person

This season wasn't baaaad. But you know...there are no shows that I would blindly recommend to my friends.

In the end, only Kokkoku, Mahoutsukai no Yome and Nanatsu no Teizai still have my attention. But I'd hardly say they are amazing.

I binge watched "B The Beginning" last week-end and I loved it. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a drama anime as much as that one.

Also just watched B: The Beginning and I can't really say that I'm a big fan. It had very good animation and sound (especially a kick-ass ending by Man with a Mission), but man...it really felt like they shoved two anime into one. I would have been content with just the detective story side with Keith, but the whole demigods/artificial humans plot with Koku fell rather flat - and the connections between both plots are too flimsy to really make it feel like a whole package.
    The main villain was rather predictable also but enjoyable, especially seeing how he has the same voice actor as two of my favorite characters in anime.

Overall, the show still was pretty okay, even if rather disappointing. Oh, and the sequel hook was kinda laughable imo.

Just watched it too and I can say I am a big fan.
    I take back what I said about this season having nothing amazing.

I was really shitting on FRANXX at the start for being so boilerplate, it still is, but 9 episodes in I am finding it quite endearing and interesting.

Probably change my tune when shit starts going insane halfway through, we'll see.
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Problem is the series itself is shite. Junji Ito deserved more.

The greatest anime of the season just ended today. I'm hyped for the announcement, though. I can't wait for Hoshiiro Gumdrop season 2!

Spoiler:

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Houshin engi skipped six volumes between the start and ending of chapter six. Well, it was a series of manga battles against a flamboyant mid boss, and as such they had tons of worldbuilding, character development and character introductions. But they aparently wanted to keep the sideffects of such, as characters introduced back then show up randomly, a deadly wound obtained in those deleted arcs is keept, a character who is able to transform to imitate other characters has the skills of deleted characters, and the protagonist has the admiration of everyone even when all his victories have been left out.

The anime is making me retroactivelly dislike the manga, as it is also guilty of random character introductions and hype on convenient times, and villains just leaving the heroes live without a good reason.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Final thoughts on Winter 2018:

In the end I followed The Ancient Magus' Bride and Pop Team Epic, dropping Card Captor Sakura and Violet Evergarden.

Magus Bride was an excellent fantasy series, with some amazing character development. Chise is one of my favorite female characters in a long while for how organically she develops. Every narrative development just falls into place and makes sense. Everything is very easy to understand, yet complex and nuanced.

Pop Team Epic saved anime 0/10, still thinking about Hellshake Yano.

Card Captor Sakura is just fluff and as it happens with fluff, I lose interest pretty quickly if there isn't much more to it and I need to be in a specific mood for that stuff, so I tend to fall back on it. For what I saw of it, it was great fluff, though and it felt as if the series had never left. Perhaps if I get back into the mood for it, I'll revisit it.

Evergarden was boring. I've tried to pick it up again, but the second episode is still just really boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    Evergarden was boring. I've tried to pick it up again, but the second episode is still just really boring.
    Evergarden is certainly an anime you need to watch more than the two first episodes to judge it.

Spoiler:

I finished watching Ancient Magus' Bride. A solid series altogether with some great animation and imaginative designs and Chise is a great character. That said, it kind of lost me as it went along and I found myself kind of forcing myself to watch the rest of it. I think part of it is that, while the characters and the setting are very imaginative, a lot of them just don't feel fully realized. With most of the characters, we do get enough of an understanding of them to make them interesting, but then the show doesn't really do anything interesting with them. Ruth and Silky in particular have some nice backstories and foundations for their characters, but then they don't have much to do beyond that. In the end, they (and many others) just feel less like characters and more like magical set pieces. This show has a fairly large cast and I think it may have done some good to stop throwing so many new characters at us and just focus and develop the ones we already had.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Evergarden is certainly an anime you need to watch more than the two first episodes to judge it.
    Yeah, I really do get that sense, the start is just really not doing anything for me. It *looks* so beautiful, too.

Hellshake Yano was the best skit in PTE but the final episode was the best overall episode imo. The repeating being because of time travel was a funny way of justifying it and that idol (are guys still called idols?) appearing at the end was also hilarious. Also all the cryptic talk like Eva.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    Card Captor Sakura is just fluff and as it happens with fluff, I lose interest pretty quickly if there isn't much more to it and I need to be in a specific mood for that stuff, so I tend to fall back on it. For what I saw of it, it was great fluff, though and it felt as if the series had never left. Perhaps if I get back into the mood for it, I'll revisit it.
    The anime's got an incredible amount of filler and stretched out scenes, and they're not as good as what they had in the original anime. The manga is monthly so it's slow too but the character interaction scenes don't overstay their welcome like in the anime.

I just realized, doesn't Devilman Crybaby count under this season, too? In that case it's my actual AotS. Not for the faint of heart, but incredibly well written from a theme standpoint. The theme of the story evolves really naturally and everything comes together perfectly by the end, among all the stories in anime about human nature it's one of my favorites.

Ended up sticking with quite a few things all the way to the end this season and I'm still watching Nanatsu no Taizai s2, Franxx, and 3-gatsu no Lion as well. Currently watching AICA on netflix and plan to check out B: The Beginning and then return to Violet Evergarden since I stopped on ep 2 and decided to wait for a binge.

Anyways, thoughts:

Kokkoku: This series was probably the surprise gem of the season and the one I looked forward most week to week. Premise hooked me right away and the pacing was spot on and it remained well balanced on the action/mystery front, plus the characters and their motivations were interesting.
    Spoiler:
    Unfortunately the last episode took a disappointing turn with the resolution being a bit of an asspull despite them setting up for it earlier in episode 1. I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet but it definitely soured the story a bit.

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens: Started out fun and reminded me a lot of Durarararara. Ended up losing a lot of steam in the middle but stayed entertaining enough to continue. Definitely wasn't bad, definitely wasn't great either.

Pop Team Epic: Fun~

Hakumei to Mikochi: Lighthearted and comfy with nice aesthetics and managed to stay entertaining.

Mahoutsukai no Yome: Was really excited for this adaptation since I've been following the manga for a few years, the first cour was fantastic but the second seemed to drag on a bit aimlessly but I still ended up forcing myself to watch it. Similar to the manga in that regard but part of that may've been the week to week watching as opposed to a binge. Was still pretty great overall.

Devilman Crybaby: 10/10 great ride.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information