• Team Chrollo

41 20.50%
Closed Thread
Page 243 of 243 FirstFirst ... 143 193 233 241 242 243
Results 4,841 to 4,847 of 4847

Thread: Hunter x Hunter III: Hiatusitis

Default Re: Hunter Hunter III: So long Mulan Szechuan Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    The day Togashi dies of excruciating back pain, I'm sure we're all gonna feel really shitty.
    If I saw even an ounce of remorse coming from Togashi I'd feel worse.

"I'm so sorry to let down all my readers again. I really tried but my back pain has been too much. I am so sorry I couldn't do more this time." then, okay, he's being humble and feels bad about it.

The fact that his eternal back pain always flares up and puts him on a multi-month/multi-year hiatus after exactly 10 chapters is pretty neat too. Never after 6 or 17 chapters, and never for just a week or two... but always after enough chapters to make a trade followed by a really really long break.

Similarly its amazing that the Nana artist took a sickness leave, and then "forgot how to draw." Or when the Beet Vandel Buster artist broke his hand.... for 10 years.

There's legit medical excuses and then there's excuses.

The European system of making comics is to do one deluxe hardcover graphic novel a year but fill it to the gills with amazing reffed art thats had hundreds of hours poured into it. American comics are almost always on a monthly schedule, or sometimes bimonthly. There are manga on a month schedule. There are alternate ways of publishing that are completely acceptable and yet...

Quote Originally Posted by HaxeyeMihawk View Post
    I think it says a lot when your readership spends more time discussing the absence of your content than the actual content itself. I'm tired of trying to put myself in his shoes and try to figure out what's going on so all I feel is that if he enjoys writing the story as he says, then why not write it? Smh.
    To be honest there is nothing really complicated about it. He is most likely a chronic procrastinator, just like the rest of us in today's society.

I can easily imagine him, going to bed at night and telling himself tomorrow is the day he continues writing Hx H only for tomorrow to come with its distractions and nothing gets done. Until he gets into a groove, writes the story for 2 months, goes to celebrate his new found consistency and then back into the same old routine.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Then again you are also the dude who praised BvS so it's rather difficult to take your opinion seriously.

Also go out there and explore the medium. You sound like someone who seem to wank the whole "wordy" and "complex" lazy nature of the series when even a fifth grader can come up with an incomprehensible mess using big words to sound more intellectual than he really is.

Also look up minimalism in art while you're at it.
    Then again you are also the dude who praised BvS so it's rather difficult to take your opinion seriously.

Also go out there and explore the medium. You sound like someone who seem to wank the whole "wordy" and "complex" lazy nature of the series when even a fifth grader can come up with an incomprehensible mess using big words to sound more intellectual than he really is.

Also look up minimalism in art while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If I saw even an ounce of remorse coming from Togashi I'd feel worse.

"I'm so sorry to let down all my readers again. I really tried but my back pain has been too much. I am so sorry I couldn't do more this time." then, okay, he's being humble and feels bad about it.

The fact that his eternal back pain always flares up and puts him on a multi-month/multi-year hiatus after exactly 10 chapters is pretty neat too. Never after 6 or 17 chapters, and never for just a week or two... but always after enough chapters to make a trade followed by a really really long break.

Similarly its amazing that the Nana artist took a sickness leave, and then "forgot how to draw." Or when the Beet Vandel Buster artist broke his hand.... for 10 years.

There's legit medical excuses and then there's excuses.

The European system of making comics is to do one deluxe hardcover graphic novel a year but fill it to the gills with amazing reffed art thats had hundreds of hours poured into it. American comics are almost always on a monthly schedule, or sometimes bimonthly. There are manga on a month schedule. There are alternate ways of publishing that are completely acceptable and yet...
    The dude can, and is, resting on his laurels. Not only has he made a couple of series that provide him some nice royalties he also married another great author that was already rich, and he's leaning on that.
    He stepped outside the make-a-chapter-a-week world and couldn't make a proper comeback. He lost his rythm and doesn't really care to get it back. And we can spend all day breacking his balls for it, I'll join you. All the suggestions made in this thread about how he should handle his fans and his work flow are way better that what he's currently doing.

But I don't think you're respecting or understanding people with chronic pain. The guy had surgery on his back and you think that wasn't affecting him before or after? You think that's a normal case? The rest of the world is not the US, people don't get an opioid when they bang their toe in a furniture, he had to live with a lot of pain.
    As someone who lived 9 months with appendicites and sees family members who live with chronic pain every day I can tell you that it changes everything, from your mood to your activities. You can have a chill day, you can need to lay down for half a day or anything in betwen. You'll be dragging yourself for a couple of hours most of the days and if given the chance to work less and still get by most people will take it.

I can't comment on Nana's case since it was never made public what happend with the author, but she was producing her work with no hiccups until that surprise hiatus. I was particulary sad because I had just caught up with the manga a few months prior.
    As for Beet's author, does that really seem weird to you? That an artist broke his working hand and took many years to recover? The hand is a vague term for a complex part of the body filled with many bones and muscles. Some athletes have knee or leg injuries and are never able to get back on the field because by the time those problems are fully recovered they're way past their prime, since this was an artist you were lucky enough that age doesn't matter.
    The difference here is that athletes cases become very public affairs so you know alot of the details that justify their retirement while mangaka can just say "health reasons".

tl;dr: Togashi needs to improve his work ethic, no discussion there, but let's not dismiss serious problems just because we're bothered a series we like is not being released at the pace or quality we find reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    tl;dr: Togashi needs to improve his work ethic, no discussion there, but let's not dismiss serious problems just because we're bothered a series we like is not being released at the pace or quality we find reasonable
    I know others with chronic pain, and I screwed up my own back a few years ago and its not now nor will it ever be 100% again. it sucks. But that is NOT THE ISSUE.

I don't know how I can make it any more clear.

I don't give a crap about the pace. 1 chapter a year or 20, or never again, that's fine, that's his call to make as a creator. I don't care if his back pain is real or an editorial excuse to cover him being lazy. (But given everything we've heard and seen and the consistent timing it reeeeeeeeeeeally comes across as just excuse.)

None of that matters.

Just be honest and forward with your audience, even a little.

An apology. When he leaves or when he returns. Or a single consistent and delivered promise of work on a schedule. Something, ANYTHING other than "well I guess I managed some more for a month. See you again eventually maybe."

Berserk goes on hiatus and they promise "it will return in October." GoT takes years to get through the next volume and Martin apologizes to his readers constantly. Hunter goes on Hiatus and they say... "on hiatus. returning maybe someday. Or not."

Just the tiniest return of respect from the creator to his audience would go so, so far in alleviating most of the issues.
    Last edited by Robby; May 30th, 2018 at 01:59 PM.

We agree on that.
    It's just that you were dismissing serious injuries and that triggered me a bit.

Still after all these years I stopped treating Togashi as I treat other authors, for the reasons you just pointed out.
    I stopped expecting something from him, if he publishes something I'll probably be along for the ride, I mean, when the man is good he's damn great, but if doesn't publish another page for the rest of his life I've already come to terms with it. I'll be sad and a bit bothered once something like that is clear but I've made my peace with that hipotesis already.
    I mean, he doesn't care enough about his own work, why should I?

Great. Now that we've made up and are friends again, I'm locking this thread again until actual news comes up.

Closed Thread

Thread Information