+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

I believe he wrote my favorite episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D last season. Like, a really good episode. Is he just one of the writers or a head writer?

New Jump scan!!

Live Action writter will be Matt Owens (Luke Cage, The Defenders and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) and the producer will be Marty Adelstein.

Shueisha is trying to be marvel again (like with jump force) instead of its own thing. I hope the writer delivers something better than "jump, but marvel"
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Matt Owens is great. I loved his work in Luke Cage (he wasnt the showrunner there but he wrote several episodes). I think the show is in good hands. And it appears even more probable now that the show will be on Netflix

Matt Owens is a mature writer so I wonder how he will make One Piece appealing enough for fans and non-fans of all ages to enjoy this series and how will he recapture the success of One Piece on live action and how will he translate it well?
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Shueisha is trying to be marvel again (like with jump force) instead of its own thing. I hope the writer delivers something better than "jump, but marvel"
    The Avengers style could work.

The thing I'm most afraid of is them staying too close to the source material and not giving the new series enough room to breathe and become something unique and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    Matt Owens is a mature writer so I wonder how he will make One Piece appealing enough for fans and non-fans of all ages to enjoy this series and how will he recapture the success of One Piece on live action and how will he translate it well?
    One Piece has a lot of things considered to be much too dark for kids in the west, so aiming for an older audience is probably for the best.

What? They haven't even started writing yet? Which will come first, this series or Raftel?
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

I expect big things from this live action especially about the female characters. Shows like Agents of SHIELD are very based on the fights of female characters, (And also for cultural reasons,american shows are more advanced in this sense than shonen manga,i have to say). So expect Nami and Robin to get way more fights in this show than the few they had in the manga.

Do you guys think they'll kill off a lot more characters than Oda does in his story? Obviously, Oda is very, very hesitant about killing his characters, whereas the trend in modern drama a la Game of Thrones is the exact opposite. I don't know how I would react if they, for example, decided to kill off Usopp unexpectedly for shock value.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Do you guys think they'll kill off a lot more characters than Oda does in his story? Obviously, Oda is very, very hesitant about killing his characters, whereas the trend in modern drama a la Game of Thrones is the exact opposite. I don't know how I would react if they, for example, decided to kill off Usopp unexpectedly for shock value.
    I think the Strawhats will be safe in the live action too. But all the other characters could die,yes.

Nah, you don't pour millions of dollars into a One Piece adaptation and then completely break its spirit by rampantly murdering characters and throwing in super bloody violence and trying to ape game of thrones. You don't become the next big thing just by copying the previous big thing.

I'd assume they won't be quite as bad as Oda is about saving every single background character from harm, so maybe for instance, guy bites his tongue off at slave auction would actually die instead of being fine five minutes later, but anyone named is probably safe for the most part.

This is a Japanese production going through American studio to get american production values... NOT an american studio just stealing a name of a license they don't understand. I assume they'd have someone on staff to try and ensure the spirit is the same, if not the details. Make sure we don't end up with another Dragonball or Street Fighter scenario. So maybe Zoro's hair won't be bright grass green, but it'll probably be green of some shade.

After Battle Angel Alita, which was damn near a panel for panel adaptation of its manga, and the promising look of stuff like Witcher coming, and of course the marvel movies, it feels like they're finally figuring out how to do live adaptations of fantastical things better.

I for one am super optimistic about this project, and have been since they announced it, because the REASON they're doing it this way sounds good. Strengths of American production but integrity of japanese faithfulness to source material seems like it could be a really really good combo.

Of course that opinion could change once we start getting casting or seeing screenshots, but for now? Optimistic.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    What? They haven't even started writing yet? Which will come first, this series or Raftel?
    Most big budget productions take a few years to come together. Lord of the Rings began production in 97 and the first film didn't release till 2001, and they were still working on the next two films up until 2004, AFTER the last film had already released in theaters.

Game of Thrones started discussion in 2005, production in 2007, and the first episode didn't air till 2011.

This is super normal for a big fantasy effects heavy series, especially an international production, and its actually a GOOD thing its taking its time.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Greg's thread about Writer announcement:
    https://twitter.com/ochimusha108/sta...30283085922305

Quote Originally Posted by Starrk View Post
    Greg's thread about Writer announcement:
    https://twitter.com/ochimusha108/sta...30283085922305
    Whats the "Crystal Ship Log" he is talking about?

Editors said that Matt Owens really loves One Piece and brought up characters even they didn't know well. During their talkshow live presentation they said he's "...comparable to Greg."
    So, that's promising.

Quote Originally Posted by NamiRobinFrankyAce View Post
    Whats the "Crystal Ship Log" he is talking about?
    Oda's original script from what would become Strong World. Oda wasn't happy with it and felt like it wouldn't be a proper movie for reasons, so even though he wrote it himself and had already put in the time, he scrapped it and started it over. Which shows he cares about a big project being done *right* or not at all.

We don't officially know what the story would have been about, but interviews at the time make it seem like MAYBE it would have sort of been about what ended up being the Luffy/Ace/Sabo backstory. How much of it actually was that story and in what form it would have been and how it changed before getting to the manga, we'll never know.

It's been a decade so I have no idea what thread or interviews to point to that gave that idea, but it was what we sort of came away with eventually. I think he mentioned in one interview it would be about Luffy's past and a tearjerker, a story only Oda could do... but again, its been a decade, I may be completely mis-remembering.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I thought Crystal Ship Log had to do with Nami... I just remember that teaser that was shown at the end of movie 9 where Nami left an envelope on her bed and seemingly was running away or something...

Quote Originally Posted by J-Sack View Post
    I thought Crystal Ship Log had to do with Nami... I just remember that teaser that was shown at the end of movie 9 where Nami left an envelope on her bed and seemingly was running away or something...
    That would be the actual Strong World tie in.. during which in the course of the film she's taken from the crew again.

By the time they were doing teasers for Strong World they would have long since switched over from that first draft.

It would be nice to see a "fixed" version of OP: Busoshoku from the start, deaths, Shiki's incident..

Yeah, the writing doesn't worry me so much as the Production Design does. Actually, what worries me the most is Chopper. Unless they have a Detective Pikachu level budget compromises will have to be made.
    If they adapted each arc accurately, it's crazy to think that developments we've been used to for years would be all-new to the mainstream audience. I mean, with stuff like the introductions of Laboon, Robin and Franky would they replicate the manga or write with the expectation that anyone doing the most basic research into the franchise will inevitably get spoiled?

I don't have much hope for the series, if I'm being super honest, but I can also so easily picture certain parts of the manga being adapted neatly into hour long episodes.
    For example, assuming every season was a saga of 10-13 hour-long eisodes, Logue Town, all by itself, would make a great season one finale, and Reverse Mountain/Laboon/Whiskey Peak would make a wonderful plus-size season two premiere.

Other thoughts: I don't want the thing flooded with big name actors, but a couple of inspired casting choices would be cool - preferably in the more supporting side of the cast.
    The one role I've always head-cast is Mr. 2 played by Sacha Baron Cohen.
    Last edited by MrPecans; July 22nd, 2019 at 02:07 PM.
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrPecans View Post
    I don't have much hope for the series, if I'm being super honest, but I can also so easily picture certain parts of the manga being adapted neatly into hour long episodes.
    For example, assuming every season was a saga of 10-13 hour-long eisodes, Logue Town, all by itself, would make a great season one finale, and Reverse Mountain/Laboon/Whiskey Peak would make a wonderful plus-size season two premiere.
    I don't have any, to be equally honest. Somethings only work in a specific medium, and I literally can't see One Piece in live action as anything but A. an utter disaster, or B. Stripped down enough that it soon becomes something else.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information