+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

Y'all just made me remember that not only does Buggy get his starts in Orange Town, but he's in Loguetown.

PLEASE be a ridiculously over played big baddie through the whole first season, Buggy. It would be glorious.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Petition to have Ryan Reynolds play Buggy

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

Buggy: Straw Hat, if you're going to be the king ... why, I'll be a god!
    Last edited by dirt monkey AL; August 28th, 2017 at 12:15 PM. Reason: I want this in my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

The Words Best Detective Death-T's Avatar

I am stoked! I really hope this comes to fruition. Worst case scenario, this show bombs and is cancelled half-way through the first season. It won't do any harm to the series we all know and love. If ya don't like it, do what any ordinary person would do and 1) don't watch it and 2) move on with your life! I am very curious to see how this will turn out. I think part of the reason these sorts of adaptations don't succeed is because the fans don't give them a chance. Granted, we have gotten some pretty terrible movies like Dragon Ball Evolution that are deserving of the criticism. But people need to understand that this TV series can leave out certain plots and characters, fuse story arcs together, leave out certain details and change certain things to better suit live-action and still make a solid adaptation that captures the spirit of the original manga. Take the Marvel Cinematic Universe for instance. Granted, this series won't have the budget of a Marvel movie, but if that's what you're focused on then you're missing the point. Also, I'm a huge fan of Prison Break, and while that show is the farthest you can get from One Piece in tone, I'm not disappointed to see that the same producers are behind this project.
    "You may call me whatever you wish, but I'm taking your cake."
    ~ L ~ D e a t h N o t e ~

Did they confirm that this will be the highest budget TV-Show ever made?

Also, how are they going to handle the fact that most characters in the Manga are supposed to be teenagers, yet its not really a kids show(core audience for one piece is the oldest of any shounen manga in shounen jump history). Movies/TV shows starring teens never do well with older audience. ESPECIALLY not action adventure ones...

Quote Originally Posted by DollarScholar View Post
    Did they confirm that this will be the highest budget TV-Show ever made?
    No, it's just the producer saying that it might be. Probably because the costs for special effects and the various unique settings, that's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    - Marty Adelstein, who is responsible for the live adaptation in Holywood, recently visited Japan and enjoyed ONE PIECE Premium Show in Osaka with OP editors in order to*
    realize again that they can't betray those audience. Editors and him shook hands. Oda himself met Adelstein and really enjoyed talking with him.
    Here's a partial confirmation that this is a serious buisness, and not just an announcement of buying a license for a series that gets stuck in the production and never see the light of the day. I won't be surprised if they announced the director or something in the upcoming Jump Festa.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    OP live-action producer announced via video message that the drama will start from East Blue!
    Source: https://twitter.com/ochimusha108/sta...95233093500928
    Last edited by Vizard; December 17th, 2017 at 01:56 AM.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Has there been any news about casting? Kinda curious who'd they choose to be Luffy, Zoro and Nami.

Is the casting gonna be Japanese??

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Is the casting gonna be Japanese??
    Well, it's apparently a Hollywood production, so I would expect it to be white people.

Interesting

Let's try to list some actors that'd fit the role:
    Clara Delevign - Vivi
    Ezra Miller(long hair)- Ussop
    Elizabeth Olsen- Nami
    Andy Serkis- Chopper
    Zac Efron- Zoro????
    But yea, I have no idea who could play Luffy.
    Sanji would have to be someone tall maybe

I'm increasingly getting excited for this. I am, justifiably, doubtful of its success. I am also unfamiliar with the studio. That said, I am still excited to see how it will turn out. There's so little information out right now that all sorts of thoughts are running through. It's very easy to mess this up. The style of One Piece is irreproducible in a live action setting without looking goofy. With a possible budget that is even higher than Game of Thrones they can't risk alienating mass audiences who are would easily pass off a goofy looking show over the more popular serious looking shows. Any adaptation from one media to the other will have a need for change to be properly adapted, so I'm not disappointed in that. In fact, I'm excited to see how they'll handle adapting One Piece to live action, keeping the goofyness of its style without become too cartoony. I'm also excited to see how much they'll change. I don't doubt that they'd change a lot regarding the female characters. Not fundimentally, but in the sense where Oda apologetically makes fanservice a point. I doubt all the main women will be big and busty. I'm also excited how they'll adapt and localize jokes. They have a lot more freedom regarding this compared to when 4kids localized the anime.

it's late but I just wanted to put my thoughts together. hopefully we get more info soon

You are on a quest to become the Pirate Prince, and you decide your fate!

I hate the idea of the characters having the wrong race. I want a Brazillian Luffy, a Japanese Luffy, an African Usopp, Swiss Nami, and French Sanji. I mean, whatever, Sanji and Nami can just be white - but I want the first three!
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

I thought Nami was Swedish, not Swiss?

I think Tatiana Maslany would probably be a good Robin. If you haven't seen Orphan Black, I highly recommend it since Tatiana's performance on the show is really great.

I remember correctly, one of Oda's conditions is that they hire actors that correspond with the Straw Hat's supposed nationalities.

You are on a quest to become the Pirate Prince, and you decide your fate!

Quote Originally Posted by Game And Guy View Post
    I remember correctly, one of Oda's conditions is that they hire actors that correspond with the Straw Hat's supposed nationalities.
    Don’t think so, and I hope not. Those races were assigned after the fact just because of an SBS question. They weren’t in mind at the creation of the character. A Brazilian Luffy wouldn’t feel like Luffy, and a black Usopp wouldn’t feel like Usopp. I think it’s be for the best that most of the main characters to be white, maybe half white ethnic.

Quote Originally Posted by Game And Guy View Post
    Actually, there was no such thing, in fact, the only condition was to not betray the fans of the original manga, that's it.
    The closest thing to what you said was the fact that had a dream cast himself, but there was no mention of their nationality, and there's no guarantee they'll end up being the definite cast of the show.
    Imo it's pretty difficult to find a cast that both fits their role perfectly acting wise and have the nationalities Oda mentioned in the SBS. And I personally doubt Oda is knowledgeable enough of the brazillian actors to have a brazillian Luffy in mind. (and even if he does, what about Robin & Brook?)
    Even then, there's no doubt that the cast will be diverse unless it ends up being a japanese cast, just instead of having plenty nationalities it'll be plenty people of color professional actors from the US or the UK. And it doesn't need to be the same as the SBS one, just bring in whoever can fit the role best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    I think Tatiana Maslany would probably be a good Robin. If you haven't seen Orphan Black, I highly recommend it since Tatiana's performance on the show is really great.
    Well, Robin's design is based on Uma Thurman, maybe they could try to get her.
    But, when I first saw Elizabeth Debicki in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 I though "Damn, this woman is straigth up Nico Robin" so I'd vote for her.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingBonds View Post
    Don’t think so, and I hope not. Those races were assigned after the fact just because of an SBS question. They weren’t in mind at the creation of the character. A Brazilian Luffy wouldn’t feel like Luffy, and a black Usopp wouldn’t feel like Usopp. I think it’s be for the best that most of the main characters to be white, maybe half white ethnic.
    Usopp is from the "country" of Africa, that doesn't mean he's black. He's not that dark skinned and he has wavy hair not an afro,he's clearly arabic, from the Maghreb or such.

Also, why the hell would it be best for japanese characters to be white or half white?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainyz View Post
    Actually, there was no such thing, in fact, the only condition was to not betray the fans of the original manga, that's it.
    The closest thing to what you said was the fact that had a dream cast himself, but there was no mention of their nationality, and there's no guarantee they'll end up being the definite cast of the show.
    Imo it's pretty difficult to find a cast that both fits their role perfectly acting wise and have the nationalities Oda mentioned in the SBS. And I personally doubt Oda is knowledgeable enough of the brazillian actors to have a brazillian Luffy in mind. (and even if he does, what about Robin & Brook?)
    Even then, there's no doubt that the cast will be diverse unless it ends up being a japanese cast, just instead of having plenty nationalities it'll be plenty people of color professional actors from the US or the UK. And it doesn't need to be the same as the SBS one, just bring in whoever can fit the role best.
    It wouldn't be that hard to find good actors from specific nationalities, it would just be very time and money consuming to cast such a wide net.
    But a lot of big series right now are casting actors from outside the UK or USA, they just need to have an agent in that country in order to have a foot in the door. You can bet that the main cast will be newcomers/unknown actors, since they're way less expensive, with a few big names attached to the project for a bit of star power. Shanks will probably be a famous actor and a couple of the important strawhat mentors, like Bellemere, will also warant someone with weight and skill behind their name.

Also, why would Oda be thinking about specific actors when he made those SBS jokes? He clearly just went with basic stereotypes.
    Luffy's always in shorts, flip flops and likes parties -> brazilian. Sanji's french because of the cuisine, Franky's from the US because he's loud and likes cola, Brook is austrian because of the classical music scene (Mozart and Haydn where born there, Beethoven spent a lot of his life there), etc.
    And, yeah, Brook's from Austria and Robin from Russia, why would that be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    It wouldn't be that hard to find good actors from specific nationalities, it would just be very time and money consuming to cast such a wide net.
    But a lot of big series right now are casting actors from outside the UK or USA, they just need to have an agent in that country in order to have a foot in the door. You can bet that the main cast will be newcomers/unknown actors, since they're way less expensive, with a few big names attached to the project for a bit of star power. Shanks will probably be a famous actor and a couple of the important strawhat mentors, like Bellemere, will also warant someone with weight and skill behind their name.
    The problem isn't necessarily finding actors from different countries, that part is actually is pretty common, and there will be no problem if that happened. What's quite difficult here is assigning certain roles based on nationalities first. For example, finding a Russian actress for Robin that happens to speak English fluently, have the talent, and fit the role better than other non-Russian candidates is almost impossible.

Also, why would Oda be thinking about specific actors when he made those SBS jokes? He clearly just went with basic stereotypes.
    Luffy's always in shorts, flip flops and likes parties -> brazilian. Sanji's french because of the cuisine, Franky's from the US because he's loud and likes cola, Brook is austrian because of the classical music scene (Mozart and Haydn where born there, Beethoven spent a lot of his life there), etc.
    I do agree with you here. I was just trying to figure out what quote from Oda was misinterpreted.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information