+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 176

Thread: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

  1. #61
    Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    This is just the One Piece Kabuki Show
    I know, read full text and replay.

  2. #62

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Let's ask the ''''important'''' questions first :
    Hidden for spoilers
    Spoiler:
    -Is Pandaman making an appearance?
    -Are we gonna see Gaimon?
    -Will Zeff eating his leg stay unchanged instead of going the anime route?
    -Will Pell miraculously survive the bomb again?
    -Will Whitebeard have a white beard?
    -Will the true nature of the relationship between Viola and Doffy get revealed?
    -Will Big Mom being a cannibal get confirmed?


    So many questions
    Last edited by Brainyz; July 25th, 2017 at 01:32 PM.

  3. #63
    Monster Hunter Vizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Anteiku

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Just for fun One Piece the Movie: Enel Returns
    Btw what do you think?


  4. #64
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Needs a lot more Robert Downey Jr.

    Spoiler:




    Robert Downey Jr. for Sanji. The perfect complement to Chris Evans' Zoro.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  5. #65

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    RDJ would make a good Shanks. lol

  6. #66

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    They should adapt the Ace novels haha.

    They could easily just do original stories set in the One Piece world but I worry they wouldn't be as fun. A big appeal of One Piece is following Luffy and so doing a series about a random new pirate in the One Piece world might not be as exciting (to One Piece fans at least, newcomers won't know).

    I was thinking how they could adapt all of East Blue into an 11 episode series at an hour long each episode (if that's the route they go) and had some ideas.

    Spoiler:
    Episode 1: Romance Dawn.
    Cut Alvida all together and have Coby be on the island with Morgan. Either as the lowest level marine or a commoner who wants to be a marine but is too afraid of Morgan to do anything. Still finds Luffy in the barrel. Cover Luffy's backstory with Shanks in this episode as well as Roger's speech.

    Episode 2: Buggy the Clown
    Cut all the additional fights and just have the fight with Buggy. Follows the same story as the original with Luffy and Zoro being separated, running into Nami, rescued by Zoro who fights Buggy, run away and then just go straight back into fighting buggy. Maybe have his flashback.

    Episode 3: Kuro part 1
    Skip Gaimon. After that it follows the story proper with them meeting Usopp, Kaya and Kuro. End with the Black Cat pirates arriving and being stopped by Usopp and Nami.

    Episode 4: Kuro 2 and Baratie 1
    First half deals with Kuro and getting the Merry, second half introduces Sanji and his interactions with Gin. Maybe keep Johnny & Yosaka. Skipp out the Meowban brothers but keep Jango.

    Episode 5: Baratie 2 (Mihawk)
    Zoro's flashback and Mihawk fight are dealt with in this episode, as well as Nami stealing the Merry. Also, have the Gin vs. Sanji fight begins but save Sanji's flashback for the next episode. Gaimon's info about the grandline can be said here by Krieg or Gin instead.

    Episode 6: Baratie 3 & Arlong 1
    Sanji Flashback, Sanji fight ends defeating Krieg and heading to Arlong. Arriving at Arlong park with Zoro and Usopp getting split up.

    Episode 7: Arlong 2
    Follows the Arlong park storyline pretty closely with Arlong appearing, Usopp saving Genzo, Zoro taking out the pirates, Usopp being fake killed by Nami, Luffy & Sanji arriving (and their boat shenanigans).

    Episode 8: Arlong 3
    Nami Flashback episode. Usopp survives. Walk to Arlong Park.

    Episode 9: Arlong 4
    Begining of the Arlong crew fight. Can probably keep all fights but just condensed.

    Episode 10: Alrong 5 & Loguetown 1
    Arlong vs. Luffy fight and party afterwards. Them leaving and going to Loguetown with Luffy getting his first bounty. Have Zoro and Tashigi meet. Introduce Smoker.

    Episode 11: Loguetown 2
    Buggy returns and nearly kills Luffy. The fights that follow with Smoker & Tashigi. Dragon appearing. They make the promise over the barrel. Series ends.

    If they decide to do 12 episodes instead they could always extend some of the Buggy stuff and if they want 10 then they can shorten the Arlong and loguetown stuff. But I think they could pull it off.

  7. #67

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    I don't know about 11 episodes (or even 12). If the budget is going to be anywhere near as high as Adelstein suggested, doing more than 10 episodes will be too risky if the show doesn't take off in the first season.
    I think seven episodes would be fine so that they don't have to spread the budget too thin.

    Episode 1: Romance Dawn
    Episode 2: Captain Morgan/Orange Town Part 1
    Episode 3: Orange Town Part 2
    Episode 4: Syrup Village
    Episode 5: Baratie
    Episode 6: Arlong Park
    Episode 7: Arlong Park climax and finale/ Logue Town

  8. #68

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Time for a serious post about this topic.
    There's actually a way to make this actually, what I'm gonna talk about won't be how CG should be utilized or how they'll adapt the tone of One Piece, what I'm writing about now is how I think they should adapt this series, and in which format, this of course is all subjective, but if they happened to do it this way, I think I'll be more than content regarding the format.

    What I think this series should be about? and why?
    Well, first of all let's think what will the series be about, for some reason many people claim that the series would be better if it was its own thing, with its own different story, and only sharing the theme of pirates and the title from the One Piece franchise. What these people don't understand, is the fact that this way of thinking is the primary cause of the failure of several Hollywood adaptations of anime /manga /video games, whenever the author tries to bend the story to make it "more fitting for live action" they fail terribly, because people won't simply watch it when it lost its appeal and what made it unique and special in the first place. People won't accept a series about politics with pirates, and they definitely won't accept a series without super powers, whenever people hear One Piece the goofy and fun adventure story comes to their minds first. Some other people argue and say this series should be about a side story, something like a filler arc, this will probably allow the staff go all out with their crazy ideas and ambitions, while not fearing messing with the beloved source material. I strongly disagree with them, simply because this series while should appeal to the fans of the manga, it should also be accessible to people who are totally new to the franchise, which means that the characters origins is a very pivotal aspect of the series. So, I concluded based on what I said previously that it's for the best for them to adapt the story of the manga, hopefully from the beginning to the end.

    My personal ideal format for the series
    This is a bit tricky, because this is what potentially decides whether the series will be successful or not, if they fail on this department the series might get cancelled, otherwise, if the formula they follow proves to be successful, then they'll get people's attention and they'll likely have discovered a door leading to them winning the fans' money as they buy their merchandise. First of all, let's think about where they should start, and isn't it an obvious answer that they should start with the very first chapter, this chapter is considered a classic among the fans of the series and it'll definitely hit home for the first time watchers as well. The series should probably be seasonal, nowadays the west is all about seasonal shows that ends with a cliffhanger, One Piece will also definitely suffer from budget and scheduling issues if the series took no breaks. And here we go, it's probably for the best for them to adapt the East Blue saga first, and avoid skipping it for the sake of getting to "the good parts" or anything like that. However, this saga suffers from one major issue, is it enough to ensure fans' support to warrant a second season? Well, I won't answer this question, because it's totally up in the air, and I know for sure that Arlong's park is a very good arc that also represents some of One Piece's genuine strengths, and the barrel promise scene is a pretty good scene to end a season on, and Loguetown arc has some promises for the future that would make people anticipate a second season. But what if this isn't enough? what if these promises are not enough? especially when some of them are very vague, like seeing Dragon but knowing nothing about him, knowing nothing about the seven warlords other than the fact Mihawk is one of them. And for some reason the barrel promise feels too conclusive to hype people for another season. I'll stop running around the bush and mention what the first season should cover, it should in my honest opinion begin with the very first chapter and end with the end of the Alabasta saga, specifically the end of volume 23. And how? Well, the series should adapt one volume for each volume, an episode could potentially be any length between 60 to 90 minutes, ideally 90 minutes, which roughly gives each chapter 9 minutes. The first season would be 23 episodes, that covers both East Blue saga and Baroque Works saga. By the time the 23rd episode ends, ancient weapons and poneglyphs would be revealed, people would get an idea of the importance of the world government, Blackbeard would be mentioned, and much much more. And what a better way to end the first season other than a small teaser of Robin joining from chapter 217, this holds the potential to be one of the best cliffhangers for the first season to end on. Also thematically, in East Blue saga the Strawhats were portrayed as big fish in a small pond, but the Alabasta saga is where the characters are really pushed to their limits for the first time. Well, if the first season covers the first two sagas then what the second season would cover? Of course it'll cover the two sagas immediately afterwards. The second season would cover 22 more volumes in 22 episodes, appropriately ending with volume 45, which has the epic cliffhanger of Ace VS Blackbeard. The reason my idea of the second season supports the 22-23 episodes per season is the fact that many people might consider Skypiea saga a bit weak, while I don't really agree, if an entire season is considered weaker than the previous one, it might cause many people to drop the entire show because the quality started "dropping". That makes the CP9 saga a perfect one to pair with Skypiea, as it makes the season generally end on a good note, and it would definitely avoid people staying skeptical about the new crew member for an entire season. Moreover, it would be too good of an opportunity to start a season and end it with Blackbeard to miss. The third and final season before the time skip should cover from volume 46 to halfway through volume 61, well this makes roughly 15 episodes, which sounds a bit out of order, but please here me out. Wouldn't Thriller Bark need extra budget for all the special looking zombies? Same thing goes for the huge unique cast present in Sabaody, Amazon Lily, Impel Down, and Marineford arcs. If necessary, maybe it's better if they slowed down the pacing a bit to fit more episode, and maybe adapt the ace novel and/or expand on the Strawhats separation arc. Finally, the fourth season would cover from volume 61 to volume 82, which roughly makes 22 episodes, and whether it would cover the entirety of volume 82 or not, I personally think there is no problem. The season would finally introduce us road poneglyphs and start the spark between Luffy and the two emperors.

    TL;DR
    I think the series should be 60-90 minutes for each episodes, with one volume covered in one episode.
    Season 1: 23 episodes, Volumes 01-23
    Season 2: 22 episodes, Volumes 24-45

  9. #69

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    At the end of the Breed filler arc, when they say goodbye to the dugong, Sanji looks like Ryan Gosling in one messed up shot.

  10. #70
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Brainyz View Post
    Well, first of all let's think what will the series be about, for some reason many people claim that the series would be better if it was its own thing, with its own different story, and only sharing the theme of pirates and the title from the One Piece franchise. What these people don't understand, is the fact that this way of thinking is the primary cause of the failure of several Hollywood adaptations of anime /manga /video games, whenever the author tries to bend the story to make it "more fitting for live action" they fail terribly, because people won't simply watch it when it lost its appeal and what made it unique and special in the first place. People won't accept a series about politics with pirates, and they definitely won't accept a series without super powers, whenever people hear One Piece the goofy and fun adventure story comes to their minds first.
    I don't think that anybody has said the series should be completely unrecognizable from One Piece to the point that none of the characters, superpowers, or elements are used and the only similarity is in name and genre only. Something that drastic would completely ruin the point of this series. What people like me have instead suggested is that by having this series "stand on its own", they make necessary cuts on story elements/pacing and zaniness when it's needed. Like less random hair colors and huge body proportions, and supporting casts for islands (or maybe certain arcs as a whole) being cut and/or switched around for the benefit of a live-action series where each season will probably around ten hour-long episodes long.

    It is actually an undeniable fact that certain properties do need to have their stories bended to be more fitting for live-action. Not shallow changes like the need to be less humorous and colorful because being more realistic means the world has to be darker for the sake of it, that's shallow (although I don't mind darker adaptations since those can have potential too). Live-action is a different medium from comic books, and you need to appeal to the specialties of live-action rather than force in something that does not fit but worked well in the comic book format. People have brought up Marvel movies before, but what is so easy to forget is that no live-action Marvel movie actually completely adapts a comic book arc with little-to-no changes. The tone and quality of comic books vary over time due to continuity crossovers, creative teams constantly switching, and decades of publication ripe with retcons and stuff that just does not age well even in the medium of comic books.

    Just try to compare the comic book version of Marvel Civil War with the Captain America: Civil War movie version. They are barely alike in the casts and stories told aside from the basic premise of superhero regulation controversy and Captain America being at odds with Iron Man. So live-action Marvel movies take bits and pieces from everywhere in balance with introducing their own unique live-action creative vision and tonal cinematic universe synergy. This is what makes the Marvel Cinematic Universe stand well as a live-action movie universe. The Nolan Batman movie universe features a more grounded and realistic take on the Batman world without superpowers and too much sci-fi, but they still work because the stories are told well on their own merits despite their differences and the general tone of Batman is still somewhat able to sync with what people expect out of Batman. And Guardians of the Galaxy is barely like the original comic book interpretation and heavily switched up some of the main characters' personalities. Comic book movies for the most part make up whole new stories that fuse story arcs together with completely new elements than being straight-up adaptations.

    When a live-action movie or tv show adaptation fails, it's not simply because it's different from the original. It just sucks in and of itself lol. Not that people can't have stupid ideas for arbitrary changes, but the idea of changes is not inherently bad. In some cases, changes can even surpass the source material. People often wonder why flawed adaptations couldn't be more like the original as a way to critique them, which is fine and depends on the context, but that isn't necessarily the main problem compared to lack of good writing, action and/or creative direction in general. If there are twists on the source material that hold legitimately promise in a quality live-action adaptation, then go for it. The source material should be a source of inspiration, not a form of obligation. Just look at all of the optimistic and colorful Disney movies adapted from extremely dark and gruesome classic European fairy tales.
    Last edited by Count Mario; July 30th, 2017 at 10:30 PM.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  11. #71

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Spoiler:
    I don't think that anybody has said the series should be completely unrecognizable from One Piece to the point that none of the characters, superpowers, or elements are used and the only similarity is in name and genre only. Something that drastic would completely ruin the point of this series. What people like me have instead suggested is that by having this series "stand on its own", they make necessary cuts on story elements/pacing and zaniness when it's needed. Like less random hair colors and huge body proportions, and supporting casts for islands (or maybe certain arcs as a whole) being cut and/or switched around for the benefit of a live-action series where each season will probably around ten hour-long episodes long.

    It is actually an undeniable fact that certain properties do need to have their stories bended to be more fitting for live-action. Not shallow changes like the need to be less humorous and colorful because being more realistic means the world has to be darker for the sake of it, that's shallow (although I don't mind darker adaptations since those can have potential too). Live-action is a different medium from comic books, and you need to appeal to the specialties of live-action rather than force in something that does not fit but worked well in the comic book format. People have brought up Marvel movies before, but what is so easy to forget is that no live-action Marvel movie actually completely adapts a comic book arc with little-to-no changes. The tone and quality of comic books vary over time due to continuity crossovers, creative teams constantly switching, and decades of publication ripe with retcons and stuff that just does not age well even in the medium of comic books.

    Just try to compare the comic book version of Marvel Civil War with the Captain America: Civil War movie version. They are barely alike in the casts and stories told aside from the basic premise of superhero regulation controversy and Captain America being at odds with Iron Man. So live-action Marvel movies take bits and pieces from everywhere in balance with introducing their own unique live-action creative vision and tonal cinematic universe synergy. This is what makes the Marvel Cinematic Universe stand well as a live-action movie universe. The Nolan Batman movie universe features a more grounded and realistic take on the Batman world without superpowers and too much sci-fi, but they still work because the stories are told well on their own merits despite their differences and the general tone of Batman is still somewhat able to sync with what people expect out of Batman. And Guardians of the Galaxy is barely like the original comic book interpretation and heavily switched up some of the main characters' personalities. Comic book movies for the most part make up whole new stories that fuse story arcs together with completely new elements than being straight-up adaptations.

    When a live-action movie or tv show adaptation fails, it's not simply because it's different from the original. It just sucks in and of itself lol. Not that people can't have stupid ideas for arbitrary changes, but the idea of changes is not inherently bad. In some cases, changes can even surpass the source material. People often wonder why flawed adaptations couldn't be more like the original as a way to critique them, which is fine and depends on the context, but that isn't necessarily the main problem compared to lack of good writing, action and/or creative direction in general. If there are twists on the source material that hold legitimately promise in a quality live-action adaptation, then go for it. The source material should be a source of inspiration, not a form of obligation. Just look at all of the optimistic and colorful Disney movies adapted from extremely dark and gruesome classic European fairy tales.
    First of all, I would like to note that I wasn't necessarily writing my points towards anyone here in these forums, and I'm sure I've seen people saying that the series would need to get rid of the three swords style, and remove devil fruits altogether, these people might not be browsing arlong park, but they definitely exist elsewhere (twitter, youtube, and reddit).

    Personally, I don't see bringing up Disney classics as a valid argument at all, as they're merely concepts borrowed from ancient stories that didn't age very well, and entirely rewritten to be more child friendly. And regarding comparing One Piece with other comic book adaptations, I don't totally agree with you, as I consider the arguments you brought to the table don't really fit One Piece. For instance, western comic books suffer from the fact that the stories do not matter anymore, with so many rewrites, retcons, and continuity issues, the stories can not work in a coherent universe cinematic or not. That is evident even in their cartoons, most of which do not adapt the actual stories, but just borrow characters, ideas, and story elements and make their own canon that doesn't suffer from the same issues the comic books suffer from. Except of course some feature length cartoons that adapt standalone stories (stories which do not rely on an established continuity). Furthermore, all what matters now are the characters, the new 52 proved that as long as you keep the iconic backstories and the super powers, any story, characters' relationships, and personalities can change depending on the whims of the current author and the publication teams.

    On the other hand, One Piece is not built around the characters alone, the stories and the settings play a big part of the story, it's an adventure story after all. One Piece is also very tightly constructed, unlike comic books, very few arcs are there for the sake of being there, each and every story arc is present for either the development of the Strawhats (the main characters), or the mystery of One Piece (the main treasure the story revolves around), anything missing and the story will probably fall apart. Oda and other people from Shueisha understand this very well, that's why the adaptation is supposed to be a series and not a movie. Moreover, I know for sure that adaptations that fail miserably have a bad story. But that's the point, the story of One Piece is more constructed like a novel than a western comic book. While the creative staff might see some big changes as an improvement on the source material, they are not always right, and it's more likely than not they'll ruin one of the aspects that made the original likeable in the first place, and with One Piece manga being the source material, I doubt any major story reconstruction will improve it. I know that some book adaptations are not very faithful, and while many fail, some of these not very faithful adaptations still work, but the fans of the books are never really satisfied. Which brings me to my final point, if the vocal fandom is pissed about the adaptations, both the fans and the newcomers well avoid watching the show, even if it is somehow better than the original manga, which I doubt.

    Quote Originally Posted by RamistaR View Post
    At the end of the Breed filler arc, when they say goodbye to the dugong, Sanji looks like Ryan Gosling in one messed up shot.
    IMHO, if there's one character in One Piece that gotta be played celebrity, it would be Shanks, as he shows up very few times to cost that much, but he's still considered as one of the most important character, and if a newcomer sees him being played by a celebrity they would immediately know that he's the real deal.

  12. #72
    Discovered Stowaway Kaoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    all the way from Uruguay!

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Brainyz View Post
    . But that's the point, the story of One Piece is more constructed like a novel than a western comic book. .
    This, I was telling my mom about the One Piece adaptation, she is a woman that deeply enjoys fantasy worlds, but can't for the life of her, enjoy manga or anime.

    One piece is a example, she tried, because I like it so much, but she cannot tolerate all the silliness that comes with the manga format.

    I was telling her abou this live adaptation and she keep wondering how can a "comic" last 20 years and still not be complete. Batman would have 10 world ressets by then haha-

    So I told her, imagine if Tolkien had to draw the 3 Lord of the Rings books, in a weekly, 15 page format, how much could he put in there? how much time would tolkien have taken to complete such a large adventure?

    And then she had the "OHH" moment.

    And she realized, One Piece is not a silly manga "comic" book, but a large adventure told in the span of many, many chapters, so in the end she told me she wishes the adaptation is a sucess, so she can enjoy "this adventure" without the format that make it unapealing for her

    (she loves Game of Thrones and Lord of the rings):

    I really do hope that we end with a good product, so people like my mom, can enjoy the beauty of the story in itself, a quest nakamaship and adventure with a touch of world goverment conspiracy.

  13. #73
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Brainyz View Post
    Spoiler:
    First of all, I would like to note that I wasn't necessarily writing my points towards anyone here in these forums, and I'm sure I've seen people saying that the series would need to get rid of the three swords style, and remove devil fruits altogether, these people might not be browsing arlong park, but they definitely exist elsewhere (twitter, youtube, and reddit).

    Personally, I don't see bringing up Disney classics as a valid argument at all, as they're merely concepts borrowed from ancient stories that didn't age very well, and entirely rewritten to be more child friendly. And regarding comparing One Piece with other comic book adaptations, I don't totally agree with you, as I consider the arguments you brought to the table don't really fit One Piece. For instance, western comic books suffer from the fact that the stories do not matter anymore, with so many rewrites, retcons, and continuity issues, the stories can not work in a coherent universe cinematic or not. That is evident even in their cartoons, most of which do not adapt the actual stories, but just borrow characters, ideas, and story elements and make their own canon that doesn't suffer from the same issues the comic books suffer from. Except of course some feature length cartoons that adapt standalone stories (stories which do not rely on an established continuity). Furthermore, all what matters now are the characters, the new 52 proved that as long as you keep the iconic backstories and the super powers, any story, characters' relationships, and personalities can change depending on the whims of the current author and the publication teams.

    On the other hand, One Piece is not built around the characters alone, the stories and the settings play a big part of the story, it's an adventure story after all. One Piece is also very tightly constructed, unlike comic books, very few arcs are there for the sake of being there, each and every story arc is present for either the development of the Strawhats (the main characters), or the mystery of One Piece (the main treasure the story revolves around), anything missing and the story will probably fall apart. Oda and other people from Shueisha understand this very well, that's why the adaptation is supposed to be a series and not a movie. Moreover, I know for sure that adaptations that fail miserably have a bad story. But that's the point, the story of One Piece is more constructed like a novel than a western comic book. While the creative staff might see some big changes as an improvement on the source material, they are not always right, and it's more likely than not they'll ruin one of the aspects that made the original likeable in the first place, and with One Piece manga being the source material, I doubt any major story reconstruction will improve it. I know that some book adaptations are not very faithful, and while many fail, some of these not very faithful adaptations still work, but the fans of the books are never really satisfied. Which brings me to my final point, if the vocal fandom is pissed about the adaptations, both the fans and the newcomers well avoid watching the show, even if it is somehow better than the original manga, which I doubt.
    I understand what you mean. Those were faulty comparisons I made since One Piece is a lot more tightly serialized than any of those other franchises.

    I'm not really that against getting rid of the three swords style if it's going to look dumb though. I think it's possible to achieve and it would be a shame if it couldn't be done since it helps Zoro visually stand out as a swordsman throughout all of fiction. But I wouldn't really argue that it's absolutely integral for an adaptation of Zoro to need a sword in his mouth, especially if another quirky fighting style can possibly be created instead. But no Devil Fruits? No, that's why too much lol. And that can work well in a more nuanced way.

    The stories and settings play a huge part in One Piece, but we shouldn't forget that a lot of arcs have fat that can be trimmed down or replaced. Especially in the East Blue saga. I don't think that anybody will exactly be up in arms if Gaimon's story is removed, if the Orange Town mayor and/or Shu's backstory are altered/cut, or every notable member of Galley-La and the Franky Family staying intact. Or arcs like Whiskey Peak and Little Garden getting condensed, changed, or maybe even fused. Yes, there is a lot of worldbuilding in One Piece that probably shouldn't be messed with in the scope of the longterm plot, but that still doesn't mean that every single supporting character or narrative device like all of the times Luffy has to get trapped by the main arc antagonist or all of the not-deaths have to be preserved to a T. Oda is very serendipitous and wings a lot of things in his arcs for the sake of thinking they're fun rather than being absolutely essential tools. The arc lengths and supporting casts can get absolutely ridiculous for the sake of it, even among other fellow manga peers.

    This might be a series, but there is still only so much you can do in a series when adapting One Piece's story pacing. Just because some new ideas could fail does not mean they should never be attempted. It may very well end up being necessary for all we know. And if there are fans that are willing to complain about change no matter if the new content is actually good or not, I don't really think they're worth listening to since every type of new franchise installment and adaptation that changes up the formula at least a bit is bound to turn somebody off among the whole world's population. And I would bet that more vocal fans dissing the series will only give the series more attention to make people watch it to either enjoy the next big live-action adaptation train wreck or be pleasantly surprised by an enjoyable experience rather than completely avoid it. It's live-action One Piece, it's going to get fans to watch at least a clip of it no matter what. Feedback from fans and critics should always be taken into account, but at the end of the day when producing a creative work, you need to stay true to your own qualitative creative vision if you still have a job in helming the series.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  14. #74

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    I am really glad that some people are ready to do this massive project. I am also glad that Oda found a partner that even exceeds his expectations. So i have face that this will be good. And if not, everything, may it bad or good, is advertisement. So more people get to know One Piece. And i am pretty sure that East Blue is pretty easy doable campared to the later parts of the paradise. And when i see that the producer thinks that this will be a high budget project, then i am confident that we will also have good effects. So i have my hopes up and i approve this shit o/

  15. #75

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    The stories and settings play a huge part in One Piece, but we shouldn't forget that a lot of arcs have fat that can be trimmed down or replaced. Especially in the East Blue saga. I don't think that anybody will exactly be up in arms if Gaimon's story is removed, if the Orange Town mayor and/or Shu's backstory are altered/cut, or every notable member of Galley-La and the Franky Family staying intact. Or arcs like Whiskey Peak and Little Garden getting condensed, changed, or maybe even fused. Yes, there is a lot of worldbuilding in One Piece that probably shouldn't be messed with in the scope of the longterm plot, but that still doesn't mean that every single supporting character or narrative device like all of the times Luffy has to get trapped by the main arc antagonist or all of the not-deaths have to be preserved to a T. Oda is very serendipitous and wings a lot of things in his arcs for the sake of thinking they're fun rather than being absolutely essential tools. The arc lengths and supporting casts can get absolutely ridiculous for the sake of it, even among other fellow manga peers.
    While I agree with you for the most part, I still don't see why side characters like the mayor or the dog are better removed. Their role is already very small, but was necessary so that we would care more about Orange Town, otherwise the conflict between Luffy and Buggy would be very dull considering, because they would be just fighting over the money.
    One Piece doesn't only have a huge amount of characters, in almost every arc we also get to see huge unnamed crowds reacting/running, so I don't get what's so difficult about giving few of those the names of the shipwrights of the Galley-La company.
    As for condensing the plot, I can see few things removed here and there, but in my honest opinion, I see the ridiculous number of plot threads in every arc to be one of the thing that makes One Piece what it is, if for example the number of keys in Enies Lobby got reduced to 2 or something, wouldn't it become less fun? It would definitely reduce the amount of unnecessary fights that take up the majority of the arc, but wasn't the little progression for every crew member one of the things that made this arc memorable?
    Last but not least, the drama series doesn't need to have each and every supporting character in the One Piece universe, and the storylines don't need to be exactly the same as the original, but I still believe it is for the best for them to adapt the story rather than just following the broad outline.
    Sorry it took me so long to reply

  16. #76

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Maybe they will make wado ichimonji smaller to fit in the actor's mouth lol

  17. #77
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Brainyz View Post
    While I agree with you for the most part, I still don't see why side characters like the mayor or the dog are better removed. Their role is already very small, but was necessary so that we would care more about Orange Town, otherwise the conflict between Luffy and Buggy would be very dull considering, because they would be just fighting over the money.
    I agree about that. But in comparison to the other emotional cruxes of the series as a whole, the And hardly anybody remembers the mayor and how people ignorantly praised him while bashing the pirates. I would support Shu still being relevant to the plot if they can't come up with something better, but the Mayor isn't really that valuable at all. Orange Town is so small and mundane in the grand scheme of things that I can easily see either of those characters or the backstory getting replaced.

    It's really a balance. An adaptation of the Orange Town arc does need emotional investment for it to be meaningful in how we gain more insight on Luffy's characterization as a "unique" altruistic pirate and come to detest Buggy's actions. But how we get that emotional investment can be altered in plenty of ways. Staying true to the themes of an arc does not mean you have to precisely adapt how those themes are executed.

    And those are just really small choices. We could go bigger and try out things like fleshing out Usopp's backstory at the end of Syrup Village. And the same could go for Zoro since that was only two pages long. Or maybe expanding on why exactly Gin is so faithful towards staying under Don Krieg rather than blind obligation towards his captain for the sake of it when he's such an obviously terrible person who isn't likely to change.

    One Piece doesn't only have a huge amount of characters, in almost every arc we also get to see huge unnamed crowds reacting/running, so I don't get what's so difficult about giving few of those the names of the shipwrights of the Galley-La company.
    Because there's no point in making them individuals with names if their role is to only serve in forming a possy. The only Galley-La characters that would need to be kept intact for story quality are Iceberg, Paulie, and the CP9 members. Hardly anybody remembers the names of the other Galley-La workers, and I doubt the live-action show is going to change anything if the names are kept. It's really just that nobody would really care if the names were kept or not aside from purists. They're more memorable for any gags they might have rather than story roles or personalities. The only effective role they can serve is if they were actually expanded upon a bit so that CP9's betrayal feels more effective, but that would also require editing the story (just with more instead of less).

    As for condensing the plot, I can see few things removed here and there, but in my honest opinion, I see the ridiculous number of plot threads in every arc to be one of the thing that makes One Piece what it is, if for example the number of keys in Enies Lobby got reduced to 2 or something, wouldn't it become less fun? It would definitely reduce the amount of unnecessary fights that take up the majority of the arc, but wasn't the little progression for every crew member one of the things that made this arc memorable?
    It was. But I certainly wouldn't mind certain moments like Sanji's dumbass chivalry nearly costing his life and Robin's getting cut. Or if they switched out some gags or CP9 Devil Fruit powers for more grounded ones that fit better.

    Last but not least, the drama series doesn't need to have each and every supporting character in the One Piece universe, and the storylines don't need to be exactly the same as the original, but I still believe it is for the best for them to adapt the story rather than just following the broad outline.
    It all depends on the context of each part of the story they're adapting and how well it can be effective in the scope of both live-action and story pacing. Along with any creative ideas they might have that can still fit in without significantly influencing how tightly knit the lore/foreshadowing is. I agree that it is best for the story to be adapted, but that's fairly easy to say when we don't know what types of new ideas they might have. Or that Oda himself might even contribute. He's such a serendipitous creator and lover of entertainment that I can actually see him pushing for the live-action series to do unique things that the manga isn't doing.

    Sorry it took me so long to reply
    It's okay lol.
    Last edited by Count Mario; August 8th, 2017 at 07:45 AM.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  18. #78

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    Jump scan with all the information about Live-Action, thanks YonkouProductions.

    https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/statu...86202493902852


  19. #79
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    I don't even ask that people be positive, just that they be *open* to the idea and it's wonderful to see serious discussion rather than just taking the easy route and pouncing on it. You're a classy group of reprobates if ever I've seen one!

  20. #80

    Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

    So are there new infos on that Scan or just the infos we know since the announcement? Im actually very interested in this project :/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts