+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar

Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

Always thought OP could be a good live action if the director haas passion. Oda sensei is blessing it. SO I DO HAVE FAITH IN THIS.

NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

Whimmy Wham Wham Wozzle! bountyhunter's Avatar

I can't see this being any worse of a reflection of the manga than the anime is, especially if Oda retains any kind of creative power and Adelstein's statement is legit. I've been thinking for a while that One Piece absolutely has the potential to be a kid friendly Game of Thrones. It has the massive world full of interesting characters without the sex and gore. Also, Game of Thrones is difficult to get into since it throws a shit-load of kingdoms at you right off the bat and branches off into even more locations and characters. One Piece is more user friendly and allows for a more gradual build with the audience learning about the world as Luffy does.

Obviously it requires major changes to be watchable, changes to things that kind of embody the spirit of One Piece. It needs to maintain a lighthearted tone, but it can't be quite as goofy as the manga is. Real people just don't act like manga characters and they REALLY don't act like One Piece characters. Luffy can still be dumb and care-free, Zoro can still be single-minded, Nami can still be money hungry but everything needs to be toned way down. Use some of the goofier character designs as inspiration for cool looking costuming without actually having Zeff wear a ten story chef's hat.

I'm also curious just how close to the story this series would go. Live action shows like this usually hinge on dramatic reveals or character deaths for climatic moments in a season. I know One Piece isn't completely devoid of that stuff, but the climax is usually Luffy punching someone. There could still be fights but they might have to come up with more "clever" ways of beating the bad guy, especially since they will likely tone down the magic powers. The flashbacks would be essential, but they might have to find more creative way of working them into the story rather than dumping the whole thing at once.

I'm interested what this will actually turn into.

This could be good but as it goes on I can imagine a lot of CGi being used. That said, if this gets people into One Piece that would be great. Unlike say, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece usually does short-bursts of action mixed with talking and Drama so I think it could fit easier than most Shonen.

I'll wait to hear more details but it'll be interesting to see if they can adapt all of East Blue into a 10-12 episode series (hour long episodes).

East Blue could fit into 22 hr long eps. i think they most story arcs could except for Dress Rosa.

NEVER GIVE UP.

Quote Originally Posted by playercena5241 View Post
    East Blue could fit into 22 hr long eps. i think they most story arcs could except for Dress Rosa.
    22 Hour Long Episodes would be the equivalent of 66 Anime Episodes. East Blue only lasted like 50 Episodes.

I'd imagine a 10 Episode Season with Hour Long Episodes would cover 70-80 Chapters. With some content merged or cut out, that's pretty much the entirety of East Blue.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Considering the budget the amount of episodes in a season will most likely be closer to 10.

Spoiler:

Deadline just posted an opinion article listing One Piece as a possible successor to Gmne of Thrones but they seem to be unaware of the series in development, which is concerning because Deadline knows everything.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/the-next...es-1202134325/

I'd be really surprised if the series released any time before 2019/2020

Any ideas on when we might be getting some more updates? I'm guessing it's going to be a while.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Are they 100% moving forward with it or plan to, like with Akira or Cowboy Bebop live action movies, lol?
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    Deadline just posted an opinion article listing One Piece as a possible successor to Gmne of Thrones but they seem to be unaware of the series in development, which is concerning because Deadline knows everything.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/the-next...es-1202134325/
    The article seems to classify projects in production as those that have been picked up by studios proper.

That does seem to be the case but the Naruto project is purely speculation iirc whereas the One Piece project has been confirmed to exist with a production company attached. In any case, I have been keeping my eyes peeled on the Western media trades for news on the project and its been quiet. Usually Deadline is on this stuff before anyone too.

EDIT: never mind I reread it but Naruto is listed with a prosuction company attached whereas One Piece is listed under Potentially Available meaning at the time of writing the article, its author was unaware of the project's existence. Which concerns me because it's Deadline.

On the other hand, I thought The Wheel of Time TV series already has uh... wheels but its also listed in the same category so maybe its nothing. Not that Deadline reporting on it really means anything.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Of course it is equally plausible and probable that the trades arent reporting on the production because comic-con is dominating the news cycle.
    Last edited by Kitsune Inferno; July 23rd, 2017 at 08:01 PM.

When it comes to special effects and CGI I think we can be optimistic. As technologies progress those are easier and cheaper to make. Besides One Piece starts with relatively small scaled action and not very impressive devil fruits. No need for enormous special effects or budget. And if the series is popular they can increase the budget for next seasons where more special effects are required.
    Just look at the evolution of special effects in GoT.

I am more worried about the acting. It won't help to have completely new faces and voices. Let alone English voices. One Piece's dialogues are all about shouting your feelings with your mouth wide open. You don't get to see that very often in western series or movies. Real life actors shouting like crazy in English could prove rather ridiculous regardless of their actual acting skills.
    I wouldn't mind them actually skipping the attacks's names all together, but some punch line must be delivered with your guts.
    Spoiler:
    SAY YOU WANT TO LIIIIIIVE

Not anyone can do it.

When it comes to the respect of the characters design...probably only white people except for villains and minor characters like Yosakku and Johnny. I don't have much hope left in Holywood when it comes to this.

So yeah.. I think it can be a great show, but probably not the most faithful.

It's going to be a challenge for the producers, writers and directors, to say the least. And I would be mindblown if the production of the series won't turn out to be a complete clusterfuck. I anticipate reshoots and staff turnover like nothing else. Not
    to mention what it will look like amongst the writer staff. A few of the writers will want to focus on capturing the spirit of the series, others will want to make social commentary and smutter the fun out of it. The fact that they label it as a drama is probably what makes me dread this the most. Coupled with the fact that much of the wackiness will for certain be toned down.

Franky's VA spilled the beans on July 22nd that Oda secretly has his ideal casting about ONE PIECE live-action TV series.

source: 17m57s-
    https://live.line.me/channels/79/broadcast/4134235

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Franky's VA spilled the beans on July 22nd that Oda secretly has his ideal casting about ONE PIECE live-action TV series.

source: 17m57s-
    https://live.line.me/channels/79/broadcast/4134235
    Can you share roughy what is he saying? hehe

On the casting choise, I wouldn't want them to be over the top trying to make the characters "the same" as the anime.

I don't want a Green Haired Zoro, a guy than can play Gruff Swordman and has brown hair is enough for me, Green dye allways look awful when trying to imitate anime

Usopp? I don't want a guy with a protestic ridiculous looking nose to make him the same as the Anime. A dark skinned actor that can act hilarius would be enough for me.

Luffy... omg. If Jhonny Deep was 30 yrs younger (and never played jack sparrow) he would be SO perfect. (Does Jonny Deep has a kid? :P)

Other choises are more down to earth, like Nami, she has to be a pretty, but also act like a smart , strong woman.

So much can go wrong, but so much HAS the potential of becaoming this awesome, refined version of the series we love. Hope they make it justice..

The producer's comment about this potentially being the most expensive shows ever made has been stuck in my head for a while.
    Therefore, I did some quick research on the most expensive tv shows ever.
    1. The Crown - $13 million per episode
    2. The Get Down - $11 million per episode
    3. E.R. (w/ George Clooney) - $13 million per episode
    4. Friends - $10 million per episode
    5. Game of Thrones - $10 million per episode
    6. Rome - over $9 million per episode
    7. Marco Polo - $9 million per episode
    8. Sense8 - $9 million per episode
    9. Camelot - $7 million per episode
    10. Frasier - $5.2 million per episode
    11. Boardwalk Empire - $5 million per episode, $18 million pilot
    12. House of Cards - over $4.5 million per episode
    13. Deadwood - $4.5 million per episode
    14. Lost - $4 million per episode, $10-14 million pilot
    15. Fringe - $4 million per episode, $10 million pilot
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/fe...-shows-budget/

Most of these shows had a high budget due to actors' salary or filming on location. And some of these shows were canceled for being too expensive and not doing gangbusters in ratings.

A One Piece adaptation with decent SFX could potentially end up being north of $10 million per episode. In order for it to survive more than one season with that kind of budget, it needs to appeal to a massive audience and be a big ratings hit.

They should push for it to be a Netflix Original. all eyes will be on it then.

NEVER GIVE UP.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

I feel they are going with the same route as the live-action adaptations so far: original stories using the characters and the OPverse.

and Pirates of the Carribean is a this; maybe they will try to take some from it, like the light-hearted tone.

Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar

This is just the One Piece Kabuki Show

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information