+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

Default Re: One Piece Live-Adaptation Drama Announced

White washing is what they did on the Avatar the last airbender movie, they turned Katara into a white girl, when her original look was ovbiously inspired by a native american northen tribe.

Expecting Nami to be a white red head is a natural wish, whitewashing or "racewashing" a character is bad

And this is comming from a a south american woman with light copper skin, I dont want nami to "look like me" to fit my personal wishes, i want her to look like Oda made her, Luffy is always portayed with slighty darker skin than her and Oda said he was from BR if he was born in real world? Ok get a latino looking Luffy its all right, Usopp was supposed to be from africa? Then ok get a black actor to play Usopp, its all chill.

Racewashing I think is racist too, and no, I dont agree all fishman should be black like the previous poster said, it sends kind of the wrong message, Fishman are fishman, and people should draw paralels with racism and discriminations from the things (injustices) that happen to them for being different, not the color of their skin

I was watching some clips of the best exemples of rubber powers in television and now I am very pessimist. They will really need to come up with something revolutionary in this regard.

I am hopefull about everything about this live action but this rubber power can ruin the show easily.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StuckWithInsomniac View Post
    I was watching some clips of the best exemples of rubber powers in television and now I am very pessimist. They will really need to come up with something revolutionary in this regard.

I am hopefull about everything about this live action but this rubber power can ruin the show easily.
    Was any of them done recently? Like with 2018 cgi at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Well there's The Flash's Elongated Man who appeared until this year.
    Prediction.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    a team of allosaurus, spinosaurus, pterodactyl, branchiosaurus, triceratops and ankylosaurus, keeping the T-Rex one for King and megalodon for Queen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    what if Rocks wanted to become the king of world... and he did i? Imu revealed to be Rocks could be a twist

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoru View Post
    Expecting Nami to be a white red head is a natural wish, whitewashing or "racewashing" a character is bad
    I highly doubt Japanese author Eiichiro Oda first conceived Nami with the idea of her race being "white". If we were to apply real world social constructs such as race to the One Piece world, being Japanese would be the first choice for Nami considering the country of origin where she was created and the language she speaks in the original comic.

And before you rebut with the list of countries Oda chose for the crew if they existed in the real world, we have no idea what Oda was thinking at the time he received that SBS question. We can infer that he probably didn't want to answer the question with a simple "they're all from Japan" response. He probably wanted a more interesting answer and he probably wanted all the characters to come from different countries so that they would be diverse in terms of location.

So Oda, in what can be assumed was not a lot of time, chose places based on superficial aspects (looks, personalities, hobbies) of the Straw Hat Pirates.

The obvious ones:
    Franky drinks cola and wears Hawaiian shirts? America.
    Chopper is a reindeer? Canada.
    Zoro a.k.a. Mr. Bushido? Japan. There had to be at least ONE Japanese rep.
    Sanji has French-named attacks and likes to cook? France.
    Brook likes music? Austria. This pick feels like Oda did some light research, but it's the least obvious out of the pack.

The least obvious ones:
    Usopp? This is unfortunate, but it's all but confirmed that Oda chose Africa (not any countries, just the entire continent) for Usopp based on features that are stereotypically applied to black people such as curly, unkempt hair and big lips.
    Nami? Sweden is an odd choice that seems mainly based on her looks than anything connected to her hobbies or personality. Maybe Sweden has a big meteorologist community.
    Robin? Russia is not the first country that comes to mind when I think of Robin. Unless it's a slick Russian spy jab.
    Luffy? Brazil? This is tough. But if I had to stretch (heh) for reasons, maybe it's because Luffy's fighting style is similar to capoeira, or because Oda's favorite sport (soccer) is popular in Brazil, or possibly that Brazil has the largest Japanese population outside of Japan.

Everything except for Brook feel like picks that were made off-the-cuff, were made without much thought, or the reasons are too obscure to be obvious to normal readers.

Addressing my own biases:
    I would love for all of the Straw Hats to resemble how Oda drew them on the page as closely as possible. This applies to skin color for most of the crew, more specifically, the characters with certain hair colors like Zoro, Nami, Sanji and Franky. This doesn't mean I think only white/pale skin characters should play these characters, but if the show decides to keep these hair colors and cast darker-skinned actors/actresses in these roles, then they would have to convince the audience that what they're seeing isn't glorified cosplay. As an adaptation, I'm fully well aware of the limitations that comes with bringing these characters to life and making it look natural.

Not a cosplay, but an actual, realistic group of characters that fit into the world that was created in the show. When I say "realistic", I don't mean real world "realistic". I mean "realistic fantasy". The perfect balance of realism mixed with fantastical elements.
    This means features that are exaggerated in the comic (hair, noses, mouths, ears, etc.) will be more subdued or completely removed in the live action show.

Racewashing I think is racist too, and no, I dont agree all fishman should be black like the previous poster said, it sends kind of the wrong message, Fishman are fishman, and people should draw paralels with racism and discriminations from the things (injustices) that happen to them for being different, not the color of their skin
    Racewashing as a major problem within the entertainment industry does not exist. Whitewashing has been, and still is, a prevailing issue because "white" is treated as the default when it came to casting in 99% of mainstream forms of entertainment.
    Yes, there are cases in adaptations of white characters being changed to non-white, and non-white characters being changed to another non-white group. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the history of whitewashing.

I actually think only a Latino would have the vibe to play Luffy accordingly.

I actually think only a Latino would have the vibe to play Luffy accordingly.
    Not really,

Ryan Potter would be an excelent and cute Luffy, the world is wide and I kinda dont like people is expecting to follow Oda's fun SBS to a tee

I do want a somewhat kind of diverse cast as long as they kinda look like they do in the manga/anime

I don't know if Oda did some research or something, but Luffy's personallity actually matches brazilian people.
    Brazilians have that freedom spirit... They do whatever they want without thinking about the consequences. Also very friendly people and always joking around.

Whether Oda made those nationalities off the cuff or not, that's the guidelines they're following for the casting... and with story like One Piece where the crew literally comes from different parts of the world and are traveling to different parts of the world the cast from the strawhats to villians should all be diverse in cast anyways. I just hope the strawhats are accurately cast and the actors bring the characters to live and give good performances that's what's gonna be the make or break

Quote Originally Posted by strawhat_fleet View Post
    Brazilians have that freedom spirit... They do whatever they want without thinking about the consequences.
    I really wish this didn't carry over to online games. Imagining One Piece as an MMO, Luffy being Brazilian makes so much sense.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

I don't know if Oda did some research or something, but Luffy's personallity actually matches brazilian people.
    Brazilians have that freedom spirit... They do whatever they want without thinking about the consequences. Also very friendly people and always joking around.
    Let's be honest, Luffy is brazilian because he wears shorts and flip flops every single day fo the year.

p.s. não leves a mal, eu sou português e isto é tudo inveja de poder passar o dia todo de calções e havaianas. xD

Throwing huge parties right after being involved in violent fights, aah yess! That's Brazil.

Doom Patrol and Flash

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    Let's be honest, Luffy is brazilian because he wears shorts and flip flops every single day fo the year.

p.s. não leves a mal, eu sou português e isto é tudo inveja de poder passar o dia todo de calções e havaianas. xD
    se ele for do Nortedeste do brasil faz sentido haha
    q fixe, és de onde? morei em portugal por 7 anos haha

se ele for do Nortedeste do brasil faz sentido haha
    q fixe, és de onde? morei em portugal por 7 anos haha
    Sou de Coimbra.
    Estiveste cá a estudar e depois voltaste ou foi mesmo a família toda a vir para cá durante uns anos?

While this doesn't have anything to do with the live action exactly but thought this was an interesting post. Turns out Cole Sprouse is a OP fan and shows us his inner Sanji.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CDSg2KxJCHF/?hl=en
    Last edited by Onepieceanimefan23; August 1st, 2020 at 09:29 AM.

Is a OP? What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Is a OP? What does that mean?
    That was a typo on my end it was supposed to say OP (One Piece) fan

It would be stupid in todays climate and a show dedicated to the Western audience to make all the SH's Japanese. I think a multicultural cast would help the series alot and help the series gain traction and bring in fans. As I don't think Oda ever cared about the SHs being Asian in the first place.

I am more worried about the scripts honestly. I dont know if these Hollywood writers can really understand One Piece philosophy and shonen mangas philosophy in general. I think One Piece is a manga that is very far away from the current Hollywood standards and philosophy. So we'll see,but thats the thing i am more worried about,than the casting or the special effects.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information