+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: General Metroid Thread: Samus Returns Primed 4 a Comeback

Default Re: General Metroid Thread: Samus is Primed 4 a Comeback

LoS1 was a great God of War game.
    MoF was ugly and forgettable.
    ...Never played LoS2 because of the terrible press.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Only Mirror of Fate was considered terrible. The first was good and the last was mediocre at best.
    I played the original LoS. Was super hyped for it, then I played it and it was astonishingly boring. Plus it has these horrible levels with fixed camera angles - I think I ditched the game after a few hours because it just wasn't fun.

Played the Mirror of Fate demo, it ran like treacle so I never bought it.

LoS2 I skipped altogether as it was critically panned, and I knew if I hated LoS1 which critics seemed ok with, LoS2 must be a turd of unimaginable proportions.

Metroid 2 remake has garnered more positive press in the last day and it seems Nintendo are very heavily involved on this project, so I'm fairly upbeat on this now.

There was a rumor going into E3 saying exactly this. That there were TWO Metroid games in development, Prime 4 and a mostly unknown (at the time of the leak) 2D Metroid. I let myself get a little hyped but then killed it when I realized this same thing happened with Mother 3 on VC last year, so then I spent the last few days before Nintendo's Spotlight convincing myself there wasn't even a snowball's chance in hell of Metroid ANYTHING happening and even started getting super pessimistic that Nintendo's deal would be as disappointing as last years.

Oh wow was I ever wrong. I actually screamed at the Prime 4 logo.

I've only been a Metroid fan for like, a few years now, wanna say 3. So far however, I've played Metroid, Zero Mission, Metroid II, Super, Fusion, and the first two Prime games... and I love them, all of them. Metroid is just so damn good all around. I was getting sad knowing 3 would be the last I'd get to play the Prime series, which MIGHT be my favorite kind of Metroid... but it's hard since 2D Metroid is amazing too... this is like picking between Cookie Dough and Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. Both are amazing, but I do like Cookie dough just a tad more.

The idea that the Prime series, much less the series in general WILL continue fills me with a thick layer of hope (and also hopefully ice cream, I want ice cream now)

The Metroid II Remake was a huge surprise and honestly, it needed it. I enjoyed Metroid II a ton when I played it, but it (along with the NES original TBH) haven't aged too incredibly well and were in need of an update.... Metroid got that in the form of Zero Mission, meaning 2 was now the odd one out in the entire series... Which is why AM2R existed and why it's so awesome that OM2R (Official Metroid 2 Remale) exists. Also, gameplay wise, I'm not too worried. The gameplay footage I saw looks good, and Sakamoto's involvement dispels any doubts I may have had from the developer. He'll keep them on track.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    LoS1 was a great God of War game.
    MoF was ugly and forgettable.
    ...Never played LoS2 because of the terrible press.
    I chalk that up to one of the directors of MSteam being a major dickwad. Good thing the director for this is another guy.

Got my copy of Samus Return, and put in over a solid hour so far. Originally I was unsure of this remake, as when I saw a gameplay video I got the impression gameplay was much slower, and I wasn't digging the visuals. Having played it myself, the gameplay works really well and feels like the usual 2D Metroid, just with some added mechanics that give it a nice touch. As for the visuals, it gives me a Metroid prime sort of vibe, and the background adds some nice touches. Along with the music, it sets that atmospheric tone you would expect from other Metroid games. As for a few more specific things are spoilers.

Spoiler:
    There a some familiar tunes in the game, from the various games. The one that really got me was the Metroid Prime elevator sound, and even has a similar scene like the prime games for using the elevators to transition. I also really dig the opening menu, especially that view when you go to select the file. Early on there are short little scenes, but they are quick and really help build the atmosphere, and I can't wait to see the scenes for the later Metroid stages. Despite having pretty much the exact layout of the original game, the added mechanics and changes in environment make it feel like a completely different game. Also, those opening visuals were gorgeous, especially the one showing the reenactment for the mother brain fight.

Only one thing frustrated me, and that was how the game expected you to get to one Metroid. You had to use a missile to make an opening to grab onto, but to reach that opening you had to freeze an enemy to jump off of. There's a small amount of time that passes before the block respawns after shooting it, and an even shorter time before the enemy unfreezes. I spent probably a good 5 minutes trying to get past this one screen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Spoiler:
    Only one thing frustrated me, and that was how the game expected you to get to one Metroid. You had to use a missile to make an opening to grab onto, but to reach that opening you had to freeze an enemy to jump off of. There's a small amount of time that passes before the block respawns after shooting it, and an even shorter time before the enemy unfreezes. I spent probably a good 5 minutes trying to get past this one screen.
    Spoiler:
    Did you charge your Ice Beam when you hit the enemy? It freezes it long enough for you to get on top, shoot the missile and grab the ledge without much haste. Had a couple of tries before that myself, though.

3DS Friendcode: 1547 - 5175 - 1342

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Spoiler:
    Did you charge your Ice Beam when you hit the enemy? It freezes it long enough for you to get on top, shoot the missile and grab the ledge without much haste. Had a couple of tries before that myself, though.
    Spoiler:
    Did not know that was a thing, thanks for the heads up. Makes a huge difference.

I'm much farther in the game, and really loving it. I don't really want to say anything else out of fear of spoiling any surprises the game could have in store for those wanting to play blind, all I really will say is this is a great return to classic 2D Metroid. Here's hoping Prime 4 is just as good. One major spoiler of something that I loved in the game, which happened around 4 or so hours into my playthrough.

Spoiler:
    Area 4 spoilers
    Spoiler:
    That chase sequence with the machine that had awoken earlier in the game was really cool. I only died once, but the whole time I felt like I could mess up at any moment, and kept it really tense.

About 2 hours in, and I'm really liking this. The trailers looked great but they worried me a little bit in terms of how it all flowed together, and I wasn't sure how well the counter attacks would be, but this game has essentially vanquished all those worries. Plus, it isn't very hand-holdy and it rewards you for your exploration.

It really is a long-overdue return to the 2D Metroids, and I really hope this game does well sales-wise.

So I beat the game last night, and just recently finished up collecting all the items. Only Metroid game that I didn't need a guide to actually collect everything, and took me about 10 hours to beat and collect everything.

If you are a Metroid fan, and been unsure about getting the game, get it. It plays and feel like a Metroid game, which takes ideas form previous Metroid games, and also makes their own to make a unique experience that feels like your classic 2D Metroid. I think Super is still my favorite, but I can place this game being close to that, and at least as good as Fusion and Zero Mission, if not better. If you have played the various games, there are certain things that will remind you of other games for one reason or another. Last thing I will say is take time to look at the background of the game, because they are great and add a lot to the atmosphere.

As for something about the endgame I want to talk about

Spoiler:
    That little post credit scene, that was definitely an X parasite. Part of me thinks this is hinting at the idea of a possible Fusion remake. While I love Fusion, I don't dislike the idea of a remake, especially after it's been so many years since the game came out, and from what we got from this game, it could be an enjoyable experience in a different way. On the other hand, the idea was this studio came originally wanting to remake Fusion, but did this game, so might just be a little nod. I'm less likely to believe this because adding a post credit scene for just a little easter egg seems silly. Hopefully this game sells well enough that even if not Fusion, we can get more Metroid games.

Spoiler:
    The post credit scene only showed what happens to an entire planet's ecosystem when you exterminate a whole population of a species. I am more curious about the connection between the Prime series to the canon with the appearance of Meta Ridley.

Spoiler:

Both the X and the metroids are unnatural monsters who are capable of destroying galactic civilization by themselves.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Spoiler:
    The post credit scene only showed what happens to an entire planet's ecosystem when you exterminate a whole population of a species. I am more curious about the connection between the Prime series to the canon with the appearance of Meta Ridley.
    Spoiler:
    True, that is something to consider as well, seeing how the Metroid were their only predators. If a Fusion remake happens in the next few years by the same studio, then the post credit sequence could be considered a teaser for the remake.

With Nintendo, I never got invested in canon v noncanon and other stuff of that nature. Didn't think about the fact that was actually Meta Ridley (no clue about what the difference is supposed to be or anything like that). All I know is that fight sequence was pretty cool, and was a bit of an homage to Super Metroid in some ways.

Spoiler:
    . Didn't think about the fact that was actually Meta Ridley (no clue about what the difference is supposed to be or anything like that).
    Spoiler:
    Meta Ridley has a mechanical body.

Spoiler:

Default Re: General Metroid Thread: Samus Returns Primed 4 a Comeback

Making my way through this, my first ever Metroid game. Enjoying it quite a lot actually, but fuck do you die alot.
    I started a blog about Harem Anime right here! https://dewbond.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Spoiler:
    That little post credit scene, that was definitely an X parasite. Part of me thinks this is hinting at the idea of a possible Fusion remake. While I love Fusion, I don't dislike the idea of a remake, especially after it's been so many years since the game came out, and from what we got from this game, it could be an enjoyable experience in a different way. On the other hand, the idea was this studio came originally wanting to remake Fusion, but did this game, so might just be a little nod. I'm less likely to believe this because adding a post credit scene for just a little easter egg seems silly. Hopefully this game sells well enough that even if not Fusion, we can get more Metroid games.
    Spoiler:
    I think (or at least i hope), that it's simply a scene added to set up better the events of Fusion when the story reaches that game after the events of Super. In the same way they added Ridley to make the intro of Super more appropriate since he has more of a motivation to go after the Baby Metroid, instead of just him somehow knowing all about it without context.

I say this because unlike Metroid 1 & 2, Fusion is still perfectly playable and has already some foreshadowing elements for Metroid 5, while also having a still great pixel art to look at. Investing time & resources for another (unnecessary) remake would be unwise when the story hasnt continued since Fusion 15 years ago, and with the Chozo Memories in MSR they seem to hint more of a continuation than a Fusion remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    Making my way through this, my first ever Metroid game. Enjoying it quite a lot actually, but fuck do you die alot.
    You should play Super Metroid next. It's a direct continuation of the story.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Samus Returns was harder than I thought it'd be I really had to get used to that counter mechanic. Overall it's a beautifully made game.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Waiting to break the game MrBits's Avatar

Samus Returns has completely smashed my expectations. I think this might be my favorite 2D game in the series (tied with Prime 2 overall).

It was always in the text but it is now obvious that the metroids operate in mowai/gremling logic. The Baby and some of the early metroids are super chill, but then when they grow, they become feral and the wild born, or cloned base stage metroids are chill no more.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    It was always in the text but it is now obvious that the metroids operate in mowai/gremling logic. The Baby and some of the early metroids are super chill, but then when they grow, they become feral and the wild born, or cloned base stage metroids are chill no more.
    I haven't played RoS yet, but from what I recall Metroids don't naturally grow into those forms. They only metamorphose when exposed to enough beta radiation.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information