+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Dragonball Discussion Kai: Last Time, on Dragonball Discussion Z

Default Re: Dragonball Discussion Kai: Last Time, on Dragonball Discussion Z

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenth Strawhat View Post
    I'll take the cheesy Schemmel Goku with an awesome screaming voice over
    Schemmel doesn't has shit on anyone in the screaming department, even Drummond (whose Vegeta is so-so but still better than Sabat)

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I can't stand Goku's Japanese voice. Or Krillin....Or Gohan's...Their voices are just way too high especially with all the screaming. It's probably one of the few anime I can count on one hand that I prefer the dubs to the original.

~My Harem, S-Rank~

Nozawa Goku is fine. Hell, Nozawa Goten is fine.

Nozawa Gohan and Bardock are just terrible.

Baywatch got nothin' on me The Tenth Strawhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Schemmel doesn't has shit on anyone in the screaming department, even Drummond (whose Vegeta is so-so but still better than Sabat)

To be fair, I've never watched the Ocean Dub of DBZ, but Drummond does a good screaming voice for sure. It's just that I'm cursed to forever love Sabat's Vegeta and the FUNi dub entirely (both original and Kai).
    The faces of a Straw Hat.

Ocean dub never clicked with me
    heck i count the amount of canadian dubs i like on two fingers

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Quote Originally Posted by FirstClassCook View Post
    In my opinion, the mexican dub of DBZ is the best, it's mostly based on nostalgia though.
    That is not an opinion that is a fact. Even the Mexican kai pales in comparison.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    That is not an opinion that is a fact. Even the Mexican kai pales in comparison.
    I'd assume the Mexican dub of DragonBall Z was the inverse of what the Funimation dub was to us with it's mostly sub-par music, janky script, and not bad but not very good voice acting.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Original score, weird choices on translation but otherwise intact (goku was never a hero of justice, but they call flying "flying throughout the skies" every time), and memorable and cool voices, they changed goku and gohan once grown up but left the original goku voice for gohan and goten, chanted krilin and bulma only because the originals died, and just plain seemed like they had fun doing their work.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Nozawa Goku is fine. Hell, Nozawa Goten is fine.

Nozawa Gohan and Bardock are just terrible.
    For me, Nozawa is *the* best as Goku but the effect really starts to dilute when she voices Goku's whole family. I prefer Kyle Hebert to Nozawa when it comes to (adult) Gohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    I feel theres a big view of english goku gap between milennials and the older milennials I guess.

Do sub fans really alright with goku havong the same VA as a 50 year old man as when he was 10

The seiyuu is good at changing her voice around enough but still...
    I'm fine with Goku's high pitched japanese voice. But that's not the issue.

It's that Sean Schemmel is terrible in the role. He doesn't get the fun at all, he doesn't do the yells very well, and his overall line delivery is just...bad. The Mexican dub is manly and is fantastic. (As is the entire Mexican cast. They also left in the original music and didn't edit anything.) And the Abridged voice nails the actual personality and gets Goku right.

It's mostly that Sean Schemmel is bad. ANd as bad as his Goku is, his King Kai is even worse.

And also Abridged Goku is perfect.
    Last edited by Robby; April 25th, 2017 at 07:10 PM.

King Kai speaks with a weird lisp, Krillin is nasaly despite having no nose, Buu sounds like someone inhaled too much helium, Vegeta sounds like he screwed up his throat being perpetually pissed

Eh I kinda think he improved with Kai, but that's just me. I can go either way, Schemmel or Nozawa.

Now his King Kai, I wish Kai replaced him for Doc Morgan, the narrator, considering in the Japanese version, the narrator and Kaio have the same VA, so it's like he himself is telling the story to everyone. That being said, Yanami's performance sadly got stiffer and stiffer with age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Krillin is nasaly despite having no nose
    Kai Krillin is not NEARLY as nasally.

, Buu sounds like someone inhaled too much helium
    YMMV. I think it fits his jolly exterior.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information