+ Reply to Thread
Page 104 of 247 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 102 103 104 105 106 114 154 204 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 4938

Thread: Dragonball Discussion Kai: Broly but this time it's not Broly

Default Re: Dragonball Discussion Kai: Last Time, on Dragonball Discussion Z

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    It would've also been more logical to have the whole thing take place over a much longer time. That's the base element that bothers me the most. All the character resolves and achievements would've felt much more natural, even if it might create a plot hole when a stronger fighter shows up at some point in any universe.
    Dragonball Hunger Games?
    That's actually a way better idea than what we got: 60 episodes of Dynasty Warriors.

I have in mind the lead-up being like the Saiyan arc and the tournament being like a day instead of a little under an hour.

I also generally enjoy this arc, I think it has had some of the best stuff in Super imo (not in a negative sense, either). I just revisited some of the ToP lead-up stuff (Z rewatch really made me want to revisit that) and in the character writing sense especially it's all solid stuff.

You don't genuinely seem to enjoy the story, so hopefully it'll improve for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    I have in mind the lead-up being like the Saiyan arc and the tournament being like a day instead of a little under an hour.

I also generally enjoy this arc, I think it has had some of the best stuff in Super imo (not in a negative sense, either). I just revisited some of the ToP lead-up stuff (Z rewatch really made me want to revisit that) and in the character writing sense especially it's all solid stuff.

You don't genuinely seem to enjoy the story, so hopefully it'll improve for you.
    There are things that I like, and I've gotten sucked in during the early parts of the last few arcs, but I keep losing emotional investment in the story and characters over time.
    I want to stay invested, but it's hard not to be a bit cynical when DBS consistently sits at the bottom of my pile of interest.

You what would’ve been cool IMO? If last episode Goku beat Jiren with UI, and when he ran out of energy Goku got eliminated leaving the tournament to the rest if the team.

The main problem DBS has is the lack of storytelling that at least fulfils dramaturgy 101. As Robby said, really the only thing going for DBS is that it's more Dragonball. It doesn't have to become a great/masterpiece story, just somewhat decent/good - which DBS just isn't.

Let's say I'm completely new to DB, so why should I care for Gkou as a character here? There are missing basic elements every decent story has to have like writing an at least decent character arc and inner conflict. And I'm not even talking of great, just of decent. But even that I just cannot see in DBS. Without any knowledge of earlier DB, DBS would have absolutely no reason to care for it at all. Without that, how is any character drama supposed to work on a emotional level. Seriously, Zeno really is the embodiment of the way they expect the viewers' feelings: Always shouting stuff like "Yay! Cool! Exciting!", but looking at the way he speaks I feel like he's gotta fell asleep just any second now.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Anybody else's OCD flare up when Goku went SSJ, SSJ2, SSG, and then SSB - SKIPPING only one form (arguably the coolest looking one too), SSJ3? It could have been such a cool tour-de-Goku transformations. I kinda thought maybe they were wanting to focus more on color: Goku going from black to gold to red to blue, but if that's the case, the pointed inclusion of SSJ2 baffles me. Not really a big deal though. Whatever.
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

You know what's weird to think about? The Trunks that exists right now in Dragonball Super should be the same age as the Trunks that was in A History of Trunks. The refusal to age Goten and Trunks up in Dragonball Super still baffles me, are they even that marketable a character as they are now?

Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    Let's say I'm completely new to DB, so why should I care for Gkou as a character here?
    Sorry, that sounds like the smallest target audience ever in existence can't figure out if it is good or bad if the universe where they live in exist.
    Last edited by Wintermute; October 15th, 2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: whoops, more like; should exist
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by ARTEMlS View Post
    The main problem DBS has is the lack of storytelling that at least fulfils dramaturgy 101. As Robby said, really the only thing going for DBS is that it's more Dragonball. It doesn't have to become a great/masterpiece story, just somewhat decent/good - which DBS just isn't.

Let's say I'm completely new to DB, so why should I care for Gkou as a character here? There are missing basic elements every decent story has to have like writing an at least decent character arc and inner conflict. And I'm not even talking of great, just of decent. But even that I just cannot see in DBS. Without any knowledge of earlier DB, DBS would have absolutely no reason to care for it at all. Without that, how is any character drama supposed to work on a emotional level. Seriously, Zeno really is the embodiment of the way they expect the viewers' feelings: Always shouting stuff like "Yay! Cool! Exciting!", but looking at the way he speaks I feel like he's gotta fell asleep just any second now.
    Dragonball Super does have one strength that could possibly redeem it: the comedy.

Another good episode. I still don't give a single fuck about Hit, but I could feel the tension in this fight and it kept me interested the whole time.

And Jiren isn't flying, he is not falling with style.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Dragonball Super does have one strength that could possibly redeem it: the comedy.
    So true, I mean I actually was lured into this with the Arale and the Baseball episode.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Sorry, that sounds like the smallest target audience ever in existence can't figure out if it is good or bad if the universe where they live in exist.
    I actually know plenty of young anime fans that never got into any Dragon Ball series despite knowing it exists as a big mainstream series. And even then, you can't say it's not possible or that they shouldn't try to rope in new fans simply because it's a sequel series in a popular franchise when you consider all of the western kids that got into this franchise through watching Dragon Ball Z years before they even learned Dragon Ball existed.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by MrPecans View Post
    Anybody else's OCD flare up when Goku went SSJ, SSJ2, SSG, and then SSB - SKIPPING only one form (arguably the coolest looking one too), SSJ3? It could have been such a cool tour-de-Goku transformations. I kinda thought maybe they were wanting to focus more on color: Goku going from black to gold to red to blue, but if that's the case, the pointed inclusion of SSJ2 baffles me. Not really a big deal though. Whatever.
    SS3 isn't a form a mortal can readily use, the power exhaustion far outweighs the actual strength gained. It burned through a 24 hour time limit in seconds and has only been consistently maintained by fusions... and even there it burns them out faster than normal. Movie 13 Goku used it long enough to fire off *one* attack and any potential uses in GT aside, SS3 has been consistently shown to just be a power sink.

If Goku used it, he'd exhaust his entire energy supply in a couple seconds and then be completely powerless. Same reason you never see all the mid tier SS forms between 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Dragonball in Japan is nearly 30 years old, Z ended 21 years ago, and even in the US it's been almost 18 years since it was heavily airing with "new" content... and original Dragonball didn't get much air, just Z.

Even with Kai as a refresher, there's absolutely a large chunk of audience that only knows it from pop culture and hasn't seen the entire original. One Piece is the same way.

How much Fist of the North Star, Galaxy Express, Urusei Yastsura, Saint Seiya, Captain Tsubasa, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Zeta Gundam, Glass Mask, and Space Adventure Cobra have you seen? How much do you just sort of know the name and reputation?

Jiren has been a good rival so far, but I wish we knew more about him. All I can says is that he has special eyes and probably beat up a clown, and that's not much.

My favorite comment I've seen about Jiren so far is that whenever Belmond talks about him it's with the attitude of a coach that knows his athlete is doping on Russian steroids. I'm starting to think of him as nu-Broly myself. He doesn't yell or scream about crying babies, but his entire existence so far is a black hole of "his power is maximum", and I don't think anyone can deny that. Hit is Mr. Personality in comparison and I was sad to see him job (in the actual, original sense of the term) to him even if we all knew it was coming. For a guy whose name is a pun on "range", he certainly doesn't have much, and given the more simplistic characterization Dragon Ball's always had, I'm holding my breath for more.

Next week, Cabba gets beaten up by three different people. Sounds about right.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Jiren's name is a pun on the japanese word for stove, renji
    all the pride rangers are kitchen appliances

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    For a group of kitchen appliances, they sure are down on team members compared to the groups of vegetable aliens they're supposed to fry.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    A range is also a type of stove.
    I was making a pun there.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    For a group of kitchen appliances, they sure are down on team members compared to the groups of vegetable aliens they're supposed to fry.
    In Dragonball Russia vegetables fry kitchen appliances.

Nothing will surpass the Dairy Products Rangers.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information