+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Love and Loathe 2: Return of the Analysis

Default Re: Love and Loathe 2: Return of the Analysis

I was totally not expecting this guy.

Love: Ever since his first introduction I just kind of assumed that Ohm was the most badass of the priests. I don't know what it was that made me just think that he was the biggest and baddest of them, I just kind of assumed. Satori obviously looked way too goofy and was taken out before the final showdown. Shura? Who cares about a french pilot dude? Gedatsu? I mean he's hilarious, but at first sight I just didn't think much of him and he didn't deliver very much either. Ohm just stood out as a force to be recogned with from the inception. And obviously that proved to be the case. I mean, when he said his trial had a 0 % trial rate, I really felt chills running down my spine. Like "holy shit this dude is something extra".

His trial was also definetly the most viseral and just adrenaline pumping battle in all of Skypiea. His ability is amazing too. The amount of things that could be done with his incredible iron clouds was nuts. Plus we also got a little precursor to the birdcage. Even if his character would have turned out to be kinda trashy, I'm sort of dutybound to give him points for taking on Zoro AND Viper. Not only that, but he also displayed a semblance of honor. To see him compliment Zoro on his combat abilities was just something we hadn't seen yet from any of the priests. Who just seemed to be either completely full of themselves or just weirdos.

Loathe: I feel like he could have had a bit more going for his character. Like the part where he grieves for mankind's desire to battle and die an early death. That isn't really elaborated on well enough. In the end, he kinda just comes off as a badass, stoic warrior type and that certainly works, there could be a bit more work done to him.

Character: 4
    Design: 3 ( a bit bland maybe )

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I don't care for it all that much either, but they were pretty much nobodies in the first place and Luffy needed to gain allies somehow. Some of them weren't even pirates before Dressrosa.
    You are quite lucky to only care if a character is important. That the young commander Sai that operates in North Blue, the thrill seeking Ideo, and the obsessed with fame Cavendish decided to devoted their lives to Luffy in a fight part they have been off seems like BS to me. At least the tontattas have been enslaved for years and own a lot to the strawhats for ending that system. But I'm suppose to buy any dude that helps that help them in trouble and suddenly they become carpet to their aide. Luffy did not even want them they just begged to be his lackeys. The only reason it happened is because it needed to not because it made any sense. If that was the plan they might as well have been stuck in the cave for the whole climax and have Luffy free them. At least that way I would feel Luffy earned it. Between the Tontattas, Barto and the random giant it's not like Luffy had to leave empty handed either. Just get the ones that makes sense. With that kind of BS it's a surprise Neko didn't pledge the minks to the strawhats already.

As for being nobodies aside from Cavendish and the random giant that does not matter(giants are just hype tool and vague notion of bravery) I would say they are more someone than Kidd or Capone. They are doing fine and what they actually are trying to accomplished and are taken seriously in their field. Except if you are taking the Akainu route where if you are not chasing the pirate king you are a loser(which actually mean everyone is).

If Law eventually gives up his ambitions to serve Luffy though, that's going to be embarrassing. I wonder how Oda will execute it.
    Did Law have an ambition beyond Doffly. I'm pretty sure at this point he accomplished and is now just surfing the wave.

And Gin is now living with a captain that he expects to somehow change instead of staying as a lowly, despicable, overcompensating pirate admiral. He badassly KO'd his captain only when the battle was already clearly lost. Being able to rebel against his captain when he's in a fully active state mid-battle is another story. Bellamy's a complete idiot, but at least Doflamingo is out of the way and he finally knows that he never cared about him, now willing to be his own man.
    You are talking as if Gin was not himself a ruthless bastard that had one moment of weakness. There's nothing to indicate he wants his captain to change. He just happened to have gain a soft spot for Sanji. Anyway the difference is Gin was a considerate member of Krieg and did not betrayed him because because he was the one that failed Krieg not the other way around. Bellamy is a trash to Dofla was always trash to Dofla and when he finally understood he was trash(which everyone knew except him) he still preferred to be Dofla's trash knowing out of some weird notion of pride.

You might found both pathetic but there is a clear winner in who the most pathetic is.

And you're right. The only potential issue is that when Shanks' incident happened, Higuma was solely focused on him and the most that happened was Shanks getting liquor sprayed on him and a bunch of broken beer bottles to pick up. With Jaya, several people in the bar were throwing beer bottles, smashing Luffy and Zoro into windows and tables, and all hell basically broke loose as the whole building laughed at them. Not to mention that Nami got noticed for being an irrational dreamer like Luffy and Zoro by asking about Sky Island. It's cool for Luffy and Zoro to try being the bigger men and realize this wasn't a fight worth having with a bunch of degenerates. But when someone you care about is in the vicinity during this type of situation, you're putting them in a lot of risk. If Nami got hit, even by accident from a mis-aimed liquor bottle, then Luffy and Zoro's resolves would've just looked cheap because they were too stubborn to notice that someone they cared about could have gotten hurt. Especially when Nami also yelled for Luffy and Zoro to fight, drawing even more attention towards herself.
    All of that would make sense if Nami got hurt. Luffy has stretchy and a keen sense of awareness. She was in no more danger than when he wrecked Enel 10 foot away from Nami(and told her not to stress)

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Love:

Skypiea gave us 2 people that were better than Zoro in area he usually excels. The first one is Wiper in how hardcore he can get and how much he can take and the second is that guy.

His character is simple. He is badass. And not any level badass. "More badass than Zoro was back then" level of badass. And sometimes that's all you need.

Nice Dog too.

Loathe: He lost not for being weaker but because he did not felt like moving.

Role: 4/5
    Design: 4/5

Whelp, looks like I’ll be the dissenter here.

Love: In an arc about Gods in heaven, Ohm is the only one on the villain side who comes across as a true believer, and his melodramatic nature (though shown only briefly, when he encounters Chopper) makes him stand out. His trial appropriately feels like the toughest, and has strong Indiana Jones-y “ruins of death!” vibes. And it’s a fun juxtaposition to have the serious angsty swordman henchman paired up with a giant kung-fu dog.

Loathe: Ohm is…pretty boring. His design is plain, his personality is sparse, and his ability is not that imaginative. Of course, Mr 1 was no whirlwind of creativity either, but he had two things going for him: Giving an intense, well-choreographed fight, and being a decisive moment in Zoros growth. Which are pretty much the standard recipe for Good Zoro Fights, but Ohm delivers on neither account. If you revisit the trial of Iron you’ll see that it’s a whole lot of people running chaotically around, occasionally being sniped by Ohms Iron whip. Everything is very stop-and-start, like a proto-Marineford, and its around here Skypeas survival game truly drags. And ultimately, the actual “fight” between Zoro and Ohm is not choreographed, nor drawn particularly well. Odas usually great at depicting impacts, but in terms of finishing-blow spreads, this just isn’t that good.
    And truly hurting Ohm is that he comes after Zoros fight with Braham. This was not only a fun, tight little package, but also a classic moment of growth for Zoro, when he busts out the Pound Cannon to deal with a ranged opponent. Immediately following that up with a BIGGER Pound Cannon against another ranged opponent doesn’t do Zoro vs Ohm any favors.

Character: 2/5. Out of all the encounters in Skypea, Ohms is probably the one I’m second-least inclined to revisit (first place goes to Yama vs Genbou, oviously).
    Design: 2/5. Easily the most bland of the priests, and quite bland overall. Some cool shades doesn’t compensate for what amounts to baggy pants and a wifebeater.

Ohm

Love: Unlike Baroque Works, Enel's priests didn't really threaten the crew in the same way. Even with observation haki, their main strength was that they struck the crew advantageously. Yama cornered Robin, though eventually got crushed; Shura really put pressure on Merry and Chopper, which I remember getting worried about when I first saw it. That said, each priest fared poorly, especially when the SH coordinated attacks. Ohm, on the other hand, really controlled that battlefield. Had it not been for the arrival of that great snake and ofc, Zoro, those remaining would have been swept up by him. Essentially, he really increased the threat level beyond that of Enel; he added some legitimacy to Enel's mantle of 'God', through being a dutiful, robust priest.

Loathe: Man, he was dull. He felt as little more than an obstacle over which Zoro could emerge.

EDIT:

Character: 1
    Design: 1.5
    Last edited by BinSquarr; March 29th, 2017 at 09:47 AM. Reason: points mean prizes!!!111

Love: His design. I could say the same things I did about Jabra's, but not as emphatic.
    His sword. Love that thing.

Loathe: Not exactly an interesting character... like pretty much everyone else in Skypiea but Enel and Gedatsu.

Character: 2,5
    Design: 4

Well this is going to be short

Ohm

Love: I like his name and the wings and the tattoo

Loathe: Can't really remember him, but I know I didn't dislike him.

Design: 2.5/5
    Character: 1.5/5

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Love: Ohm is a cool stoic guy. His shtick was pretty interesting even though out of all the Priests' it was definitely the most serious. He also has a nice dog.

Loathe: Oh wait, I forgot one more love thing: he's not the worst of the Priests! That honor goes to Shura. But in all seriousness, the guy completely failed to stand out aside from the shticks I mentioned above, and he came at a time when I was starting to get tired of the arc, and seemed to serve no other purpose other than to give Zoro some kind of serious fight. Even in Dressrosa I was never rolling around in pain at things that showed up later in the arc, and I got to binge read Skypiea! And now I barely remember him.

Character: 2/5
    Design: 2/5
    Other than the eyes, extremely generic

Spoiler:

User of the Gumdrop Rifle Rocko52's Avatar

I'd say that Skypiea also works as one in a different way by being like a classic mythical pirate treasure hunt story with tragic history and wacky natives. Almost sort of like One Piece's take on a story like Indiana Jones or Uncharted, or Treasure Island. But they're still in the same saga though. And I'd like to say there are also pirate-y elements in Sabaody Archipelago too because of the Supernovas, Rayleigh, and slavery. East Blue also felt pretty basic and grounded in sea adventures.
    That's one thing I kinda love about East Blue, especially in retrospect. Although we get glimpses of the bizarre and the fantastic (Buggy, some of the weirder pirate get-ups like Sham & Buchi, the devil fruits, fishmen, etc) overall the setting, technology, and characters of the Saga all are very reminiscent of our world in the pirate era. There's no hint of the outlandish technology we'd get later, none of the boats are too eccentric, (most look very much like your average vessel from the times) & the pirates we encounter for the most part are very pirate-y. Buggy being all about gold & treasure maps, Kuro being a criminal mastermind, Don Krieg a thuggish pirate warlord, and Arlong as hostile pirate emperor. The towns are all quiet and colonial, the islands lined with harbors varying in size but uniform in era, etc. While we progress through the East Blue things do start to get a little off, (Krieg's outfit is kinda wacky, as is Arlong & his crew) but it never strays too far. Loguetown is another perfect "pirate-y" town, and a great send-off to the Ocean. Roger himself of course is the spitting image of a pirate lord as well.

I think this all just serves to heighten the upcoming onslaught of fantasy and freakishness coming in the Grand Line. Right from the start we see a giant whale, and things only get weirder from here. While eventually we got used to it, I think Oda did a great job in this case of building up to the GL. I remember being wowed and also weirded out by many of the new things we saw and did there. Really sells the place as otherworldly and distant from the other Blues.

In the New World I think Oda's done a pretty good job with fantastic new settings, save maybe Dressrosa. Mind you I don't dislike Dressrosa's setting, I quite like it, however I don't think it really builds the concept of the New World as zany. Right before the timeskip we saw all these utterly batshit things, (Firetank Pirates sucked up by a meteor? On-Air Pirates walking on air? lol) and I'd say Punk Hazard was a really good first taste. Sure it dragged a bit, but overall the island was a good intro. Dressrosa I think though, didn't really build on that. I mean, it is relatively early in the New World, meaning its more civilized nature isn't completely unsurprising, but in terms of pure fantasy it is a little underwhelming. That said, I think the craziness of Zou and now Whole Cake Island are doing good on re-establishing the New World as a place with few rules and fewer explanations. Also, while not technically New World, I think Fishman Island was a gorgeous setting too. Of course it's one of the most infamous arcs in the series, but the setting is fantastic.

Sorry for the out of place rant about settings heh.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko52 View Post
    That's one thing I kinda love about East Blue, especially in retrospect. Although we get glimpses of the bizarre and the fantastic (Buggy, some of the weirder pirate get-ups like Sham & Buchi, the devil fruits, fishmen, etc) overall the setting, technology, and characters of the Saga all are very reminiscent of our world in the pirate era. There's no hint of the outlandish technology we'd get later, none of the boats are too eccentric, (most look very much like your average vessel from the times) & the pirates we encounter for the most part are very pirate-y. Buggy being all about gold & treasure maps, Kuro being a criminal mastermind, Don Krieg a thuggish pirate warlord, and Arlong as hostile pirate emperor. The towns are all quiet and colonial, the islands lined with harbors varying in size but uniform in era, etc. While we progress through the East Blue things do start to get a little off, (Krieg's outfit is kinda wacky, as is Arlong & his crew) but it never strays too far. Loguetown is another perfect "pirate-y" town, and a great send-off to the Ocean. Roger himself of course is the spitting image of a pirate lord as well.

I think this all just serves to heighten the upcoming onslaught of fantasy and freakishness coming in the Grand Line. Right from the start we see a giant whale, and things only get weirder from here. While eventually we got used to it, I think Oda did a great job in this case of building up to the GL. I remember being wowed and also weirded out by many of the new things we saw and did there. Really sells the place as otherworldly and distant from the other Blues.

In the New World I think Oda's done a pretty good job with fantastic new settings, save maybe Dressrosa. Mind you I don't dislike Dressrosa's setting, I quite like it, however I don't think it really builds the concept of the New World as zany. Right before the timeskip we saw all these utterly batshit things, (Firetank Pirates sucked up by a meteor? On-Air Pirates walking on air? lol) and I'd say Punk Hazard was a really good first taste. Sure it dragged a bit, but overall the island was a good intro. Dressrosa I think though, didn't really build on that. I mean, it is relatively early in the New World, meaning its more civilized nature isn't completely unsurprising, but in terms of pure fantasy it is a little underwhelming. That said, I think the craziness of Zou and now Whole Cake Island are doing good on re-establishing the New World as a place with few rules and fewer explanations. Also, while not technically New World, I think Fishman Island was a gorgeous setting too. Of course it's one of the most infamous arcs in the series, but the setting is fantastic.

Sorry for the out of place rant about settings heh.
    I agree with literally everything you said. I always appreciated how East Blue worked as a grounded intro to the series, as well as Oda's pacing on gradually building up suspension of disbelief in the surreal elements of this series (although he did originally want Fishmen to appear in the first chapter of the series lol). The wackiness has always been there, but only accented in the first saga before it becomes a spotlight in the Grand Line.

I understand and agree with what you mean about Dressrosa. I kind of like the sunflower fields, arena, and how it's themed around Spain, but it's hardly memorable for me outside of the toys and Pica's giant stone body. Both of which are the products of finite Devil Fruit powers rather than actually being a part of the environment, so yeah.

However, I do think it is a bit unfair to pick apart Dressrosa when Whiskey Peak wasn't surreal at all. It had hidden bounty hunters, but it was just an average port town at night near some HUGE cacti. Which would have been fun to explore, but we only stayed in the town.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

I agree with literally everything you said. I always appreciated how East Blue worked as a grounded intro to the series, as well as Oda's pacing on gradually building up suspension of disbelief in the surreal elements of this series (although he did originally want Fishmen to appear in the first chapter of the series lol). The wackiness has always been there, but only accented in the first saga before it becomes a spotlight in the Grand Line.

I understand and agree with what you mean about Dressrosa. I kind of like the sunflower fields, arena, and how it's themed around Spain, but it's hardly memorable for me outside of the toys and Pica's giant stone body. Both of which are the products of finite Devil Fruit powers rather than actually being a part of the environment, so yeah.

However, I do think it is a bit unfair to pick apart Dressrosa when Whiskey Peak wasn't surreal at all. It had hidden bounty hunters, but it was just an average port town at night near some HUGE cacti. Which would have been fun to explore, but we only stayed in the town.
    I mean I kinda like Dressrosa, and the toys/Spanish vibe/Colloseum were all cool, but 100+ chapters kinda wore off the sheen, and it just didn't seem to really build on the New World's supposed-insanity, especially when several Paradise Islands were more bizarre. With Whiskey Peak, I get whatcha mean, but at the same time we were there for such a short time - 4 episodes. (when the anime had alright pacing ha) Sure it didn't really elevate the Grand Line past the impressive Reverse Mountain entrance, but it basically was just a short set-piece to set-up the Alabasta Saga. It was a kinda unmemorable arc, but it didn't really have to be. And what follows right after definitely plunges us into Grand Line Madness. I think its brevity makes it a bit more forgivable & its impact not really the same as the seemingly endless Dressrosa epic.

A prehistoric island growing around skeletons & inhabited by giants? An island in eternal winter with a crazy doctor, a ruler with an appetite to match Luffy's, and of course those incredibly weird mountains & the big bunny things? Then Alabasta as the credo, a Sandy country that feels like Egypt mixed with Vegas, as the stage for Luffy's biggest conflict yet? And then of course....Skypiea.

The lunacy of the Grand Line (and when you look at map, you also realize how small it must be compared to the Blues) definitely helps us buy into the Devil Fruits being a legend around the world. It's such a hard place to get into, and once you're there you likely aren't going back to the Blues. Sure, the accusation could be made that there've been far too many devil fruits now for them to be thought of as "legendary" to the reader, but it does hold up when you look at the world overall. Compared to the relative mundanity of those oceans, the difference is stark. Though as much as I admire Oda's world-building, I do think some of the tech - global daily newspapers, broadcasting snails, etc - sometimes doesn't quite work when you think of its impact on the rest of the world. Though compared to everything else, that's relatively minor.

But yeah, it's definitely an impressive/awesome aspect of Oda's series. The manga is famous for it's eccentric artwork, (which I utterly adore) but Oda really didn't bust out the crazy until hitting that Grand Line. Really sells the fantasy & high-seas romance.
    Last edited by Rocko52; March 29th, 2017 at 09:39 PM.

I mean I kinda like Dressrosa, and the toys/Spanish vibe/Colloseum were all cool, but 100+ chapters kinda wore off the sheen, and it just didn't seem to really build on the New World's supposed-insanity, especially when several Paradise Islands were more bizarre. With Whiskey Peak, I get whatcha mean, but at the same time we were there for such a short time - 4 episodes. (when the anime had alright pacing ha) Sure it didn't really elevate the Grand Line past the impressive Reverse Mountain entrance, but it basically was just a short set-piece to set-up the Alabasta Saga. It was a kinda unmemorable arc, but it didn't really have to be. And what follows right after definitely plunges us into Grand Line Madness. I think its brevity makes it a bit more forgivable & its impact not really the same as the seemingly endless Dressrosa epic.
    I agree that the pacing plays a major role in the effect the impression of these arc settings. However, what does sort of give me a bit of a peculiar vibe is how Whiskey Peak was technically the first Grand Line island the Straw Hats ventured to. Reverse Mountain was a part of the Red Line. So it's a bit weird that after so much build-up of the Grand Line being a weird and wacky place, the first island we see is pretty normal whereas the second is where we actually see crazy stuff start to happen. Story pacing-wise though, it fulfills its breather/build-up role just fine.

A prehistoric island growing around skeletons & inhabited by giants? An island in eternal winter with a crazy doctor, a ruler with an appetite to match Luffy's, and of course those incredibly weird mountains & the big bunny things? Then Alabasta as the credo, a Sandy country that feels like Egypt mixed with Vegas, as the stage for Luffy's biggest conflict yet? And then of course....Skypiea.

But yeah, it's definitely an impressive/awesome aspect of Oda's series. The manga is famous for it's eccentric artwork, (which I utterly adore) but Oda really didn't bust out the crazy until hitting that Grand Line. Really sells the fantasy & high-seas romance.
    Precisely. I also love how Oda likes to vary up and sparingly use pirate cliches. Like how Crocodile is the only character with a hook, Zeff is the only one who has a peg leg (I kind of wish that someone more major had that instead though), and Blackbeard is Blackbeard and has a tricorne hat lol. Not to mention the eyepatch character that will appear in the final chapter.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Precisely. I also love how Oda likes to vary up and sparingly use pirate cliches. Like how Crocodile is the only character with a hook, Zeff is the only one who has a peg leg (I kind of wish that someone more major had that instead though), and Blackbeard is Blackbeard and has a tricorne hat lol. Not to mention the eyepatch character that will appear in the final chapter.
    Huh, did Oda confirm they'd appear in the last chapter? I remember Oda saying that an eyepatch character would show up way down the line, but I didn't know there was an idea of when. I'd also add Big Mom and Shanks to that pirate-y list, though much less overtly. Big Mom has all her rings & her own tricorne hat, and Shanks, while not wearing too much that's distinctive, still has that kinda rough sea-faring vagabond look to him. I think those baggy pants & sash he wears (and a lot of characters in East Blue wore) play a major role. Same with Buggy now that I think about it lol. Definitely a cool element, although the term "pirate" has been stretched *very* far & liberally from what most people would traditionally think of, Oda still knows how to make use of it. Love Oda's artwork wear Luffy wears anything pirate-y though, like those colorspreads/log-book stuff he's done where Luffy's got a massive red coat & tons of treasure, makes me hyped for the future Pirate King lol.

Huh, did Oda confirm they'd appear in the last chapter? I remember Oda saying that an eyepatch character would show up way down the line, but I didn't know there was an idea of when. I'd also add Big Mom and Shanks to that pirate-y list, though much less overtly. Big Mom has all her rings & her own tricorne hat, and Shanks, while not wearing too much that's distinctive, still has that kinda rough sea-faring vagabond look to him. I think those baggy pants & sash he wears (and a lot of characters in East Blue wore) play a major role. Same with Buggy now that I think about it lol. Definitely a cool element, although the term "pirate" has been stretched *very* far & liberally from what most people would traditionally think of, Oda still knows how to make use of it. Love Oda's artwork wear Luffy wears anything pirate-y though, like those colorspreads/log-book stuff he's done where Luffy's got a massive red coat & tons of treasure, makes me hyped for the future Pirate King lol.
    Blackbeard had rings first, and Big Mom wears a bicorne hat like Napoleon Bonaparte (not that pirates didn't wear both bicornes and tricornes respectively). Shanks sort of works. Also Buggy.

T
    he One piece actually until now, in this volume,
    even one person I do not allow to have appeared an eye patch !! Yeah. Although its a good idea even if. Actually this is my modest back policy.just! i don't like an eye patch! Apart! ! I do draw pirates without using eye patch! ! In such a feeling, ocean adventure of looking for do not even just a boy in began. In other words, if there is an image of pirates packed in everyone's head,
    I is not thought to be I'll draw a process that boy end up there.That said, since I separately'm not that eyepatch fan,The end of the big story of ONEPIECE. maybe i will use in one person.Exactly "eyepatch pirate" comes into play in last chapter of one piece.in that chapter I will grant that request from everybody to draw a guy you are raring for.
    Maybe there's a better translation out there, but the mentions the very last chapter. And I have a feeling that while he could introduce the eyepatch character beforehand, the character who will get an eyepatch will probably be an epilogue timeskip version of a character we already know. Most likely Luffy, Zoro, or Usopp in my eyes.

Spoiler:

Blackbeard had rings first, and Big Mom wears a bicorne hat like Napoleon Bonaparte (not that pirates didn't wear both bicornes and tricornes respectively). Shanks sort of works. Also Buggy.

Maybe there's a better translation out there, but the mentions the very last chapter. And I have a feeling that while he could introduce the eyepatch character beforehand, the character who will get an eyepatch will probably be an epilogue timeskip version of a character we already know. Most likely Luffy, Zoro, or Usopp in my eyes.
    Kinda forgot the terms/differences between Bicorne & Tricorne hats lol. But yeah, I do really like Big Mom & Buggy's designs respectively. In regards to the eyepatch character, I don't have a clue who it will be, and I don't think I'll bother theorizing about him/her until it becomes more pertinent. But still cool things to think about lol.

Since I'm here, I might as well put out my thoughts on Ohm. Don't have too many though, I must say haha.

Love: Well, what to say about Ohm? The Skypiea Priests weren't the most memorable, though Ohm at least looks pretty cool. He's tough as nails, and has a goofy looking sword and cute dog to counterbalance that. We didn't really see much of him besides his really off-beat & morbid outlook and his skill with sword (though only kinda in that aspect). Skypiea was long enough already, but thinking back on it, we never really got a good look at these Priests. Gedatsu was funny enough to warrant his cover-story, Satori was just kinda annoying, and the rest rather forgettable. The somewhat mediocre boss characters were more than made up for with Enel though. But yeah, overall there's just not much there to love.

Loathe: Loathe's a strong word, and again there's not much there. I guess that'd be my main complaint. He gets introduced only to be cut down by Zoro. Probably was one his least memorable opponents, aside from his death-centric attitude. I can't accuse him of being waste potential though, I don't really see what else there was to do with him, though I'm sure he could be made slightly more interesting if he was fleshed out a bit more. The battle was kinda exciting, but at the same time not all that engaging, felt mostly like a distraction. I'd say that was part of my problem with a fair amount of Enel's "death-battle." Though it did build on Zoro's development of air-slash techniques which he began earlier that arc. So yeah, my complaints are almost the same as my praises, he just wasn't all that memorable.

Ratings:
    Design: 3/5 - Nice and pretty cool, but nothing that special.
    Character: 2/5 - A tad quirky, but overall completely forgettable. Not bad, but nothing remarkable.

Love: Most intimidating of all priests and quirky dog companion, fairly threatening foe

Loathe: Not very impressive as a character. I remember mostly just the dog

Character: 2

Design: 2

Dressrosa was fine for me, but I agree that nearing the end it started to get bland. Mainly because even with the distinct buildings of the arc, at the end it was all reduced to rubble. Every panel: cobblestone ground, rubble, smoke. I can understand why Oda used that stetting but with that many chapters the reader needs something to break it up. I remember reading somewhere about combining a setting and a fight to heighten the fun of the fight. For example putting a fight inside a train limits the fighter's space. Going back to Ohm he's also one of those characters, for what it's worth his cage at least added an interesting space to the fight (admittedly Doffy used his cage better. I can't believe Ohm of all people is making me appreciate something about that damn Bird Cage). Maybe that could've helped out Dressrosa.

I really want to re-read the whole series again, but the volumes are at my parents house. But once I get around to it I'm looking forward to comparing Skypiea and Dressrosa. Both arcs gets similar complaints, they were too long and save for the boss the villains and side characters weren't that interesting. I wonder if Dressrosa will also be considered like Skypiea in the future, not perfect but it had it's charms.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

That reminds me of a certain other thread that I really need to start back up...

Tomorrow!

Spoiler:

Dang, looks like I missed Kureha...

but the new rule means I can give her a rating still right? I'll make it short since it's one I accidentally missed.

Dr. Kureha
    Love:
    She's a hardass old drunken lady who doesn't take anyone's guff, a seasoned medic and whilst seemingly cold, she's actually doing her very best to try and help save Drum. The fact she took Chopper on so easily despite her bravado showcases her strong respect for Hiriluk, not to mention continuing his work.

Loathe:

She's a bit TOO hardass at times, and whilst the occasional violent outburst can be amusing, her violent behaviour around Chopper makes Zeff's tough love attitude look incredibly tame in comparison. Throwing knives I know is MEANT to be a gag, but between that and her harsh words telling Chopper he CAN'T follow his dreams as he left to join the Strawhats soured me a little.

Design: 4/5 Old Witch face and youthful body is at least unique, even if it's not as crazy as fellow Drum residents Wapol or Chess.
    Character: 3/5 She performed her role fine, but she was seriously overshadowed by Hiriluk, and I never got the feeling that she and Chopper had as close a relationship as Nami and Genzo did for example.

----------------------------

Ohm
    Love:
    If I'm honest I've never been a big fan of the Skypiea arc or it's cast. With the soul exceptions of Eneru and GanFall, I couldn't get into many of the characters and found them pretty forgettable, bland or too forcibly quirky...

...so it's kind of surprising I at least remember Ohm a little bit. Give him credit for that.

Unlike...well, all the other priests, Ohm actually manages to take someone significant out in Chopper.
    His fight with Zoro gives Zoro some much needed range fighting experience, and I feel like it's at least supposed to be as big a step for Zoro's advancement as his fight with Daz was.
    Killer shades.
    Cool dog.

Loathe
    Err...even though I remember Ohm, he's still pretty forgettable. Whilst I know the guy was tough and his trial was very deadly, I don't really remember Ohm as a character rather than an obstacle.
    He's probably the most forgettable Zoro opponent to date. Mr. 1 was a good foil for Zoro and was literally a sword(amongst other things), Kaku is a transforming giraffe man, Hachi was a six sword wielding buffonish octopus man, Ryuuma was a legendary samurai zombie that Zoro fought to get a cursed blade, Mihawk is Mihawk...Ohm comparitively just doesn't stand out that much.

After the craziness of the Baroque works gang, I was really expecting to be blown away by what Oda could do with the priests and came back feeling short changed....but hey, at least Ohm managed to make more of an impact than Shura!

Character: 0.5/5
    Not much of a character if I'm honest. More like a walking obstacle with a nifty dog who somehow overshadowed him. I'm honestly shocked how little I can recall of his personality.
    Design: 0.5/5 A regular looking street thug with wings. Doesn't do much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Loathe: Not exactly an interesting character... like pretty much everyone else in Skypiea but Enel and Gedatsu.
    What areBALLS you talkBALLSing abALLSout HO-Ho-HO!!

Viper, Gan Fall, Pagaya, Nola, Noland and Calgara were okay too, i thought. In terms of memorable characters, I think Skypea just feels comparatively underwhelming because its so much longer and bigger than something like Drum, where Wapol, Hiruluk and Kureha are the only real standouts, but also almost the entire cast. In time I think Whole Cake will be seen the same way: A bunch of standouts, and a lot of colorful background noise.

It's freaking hot in my apartment so the evaluation will come once things have cooled down.

But as usual, it's time for the hint! Our next character has the mightiest brows.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Love and Loathe #12
    Ohm

Here's what you loved about Ohm
    1. He's Actually Threatening - While the other priests ranged from comical to forgettable, Ohm felt like a genuine threat. And he's fairly badass too.
    2. The Dog - To balance out his personality he has a kung fu dog. According to some the dog was more memorable than Ohm.
    3. Cool Design - He's a though-as-nails dude with neat sunglasses, awesome tattoos and cute little wings.
    4. 0% Survival Trail - There was something exhilarating about his trail, and you got to give him props for taking on Wiper and Zoro at the same time.
    Favorite Comment goes to Strooger
    "Ever since his first introduction I just kind of assumed that Ohm was the most badass of the priests. I don't know what it was that made me just think that he was the biggest and baddest of them, I just kind of assumed. Satori obviously looked way too goofy and was taken out before the final showdown. Shura? Who cares about a french pilot dude? Gedatsu? I mean he's hilarious, but at first sight I just didn't think much of him and he didn't deliver very much either. Ohm just stood out as a force to be recogned with from the inception. And obviously that proved to be the case. I mean, when he said his trial had a 0 % trial rate, I really felt chills running down my spine. Like "holy shit this dude is something extra". His trial was also definetly the most viseral and just adrenaline pumping battle in all of Skypiea. His ability is amazing too. The amount of things that could be done with his incredible iron clouds was nuts. Plus we also got a little precursor to the birdcage. Even if his character would have turned out to be kinda trashy, I'm sort of dutybound to give him points for taking on Zoro AND Viper. Not only that, but he also displayed a semblance of honor. To see him compliment Zoro on his combat abilities was just something we hadn't seen yet from any of the priests. Who just seemed to be either completely full of themselves or just weirdos."

Here's what you loathed about Ohm
    1. Ohm Who? - When people remember your dog more than the owner something's wrong. We never learned more about who Ohm was, and at the end he felt more like an obstacle than a character.
    2. Boring Design - On the other end, some people felt his design was as bland as his character.
    3. Possibly the worst Zoro Fight - While people had mixed opinions about his fight there seemed to be an agreement that it could've been improved. This guy's supposed to be an important step in Zoro's growth as a character, but it sure doesn't feel that way. To add insult to injury the finisher is just an upgrade of what we've already seen.
    Favorite Comment goes to Tanuki
    "Err...even though I remember Ohm, he's still pretty forgettable. Whilst I know the guy was tough and his trial was very deadly, I don't really remember Ohm as a character rather than an obstacle.
    He's probably the most forgettable Zoro opponent to date. Mr. 1 was a good foil for Zoro and was literally a sword(amongst other things), Kaku is a transforming giraffe man, Hachi was a six sword wielding buffonish octopus man, Ryuuma was a legendary samurai zombie that Zoro fought to get a cursed blade, Mihawk is Mihawk...Ohm comparitively just doesn't stand out that much. After the craziness of the Baroque works gang, I was really expecting to be blown away by what Oda could do with the priests and came back feeling short changed....but hey, at least Ohm managed to make more of an impact than Shura!"

Character/Actions: 2.32

Design: 2.54

~~ RANKINGS: Character ~~
    1. Galdino (4.42)
    2. Kureha (4.29) - 0.21! Dethroned!
    3. Rosinante (4.13)
    4. Zoro (4.11)
    5. Jabra (3.78)
    6. Carue (3.75)
    7. Smoker (3.71)
    8. Caesar (3.10)
    9. Conis (2.56)
    10. Bellamy (2.50)
    11. Ohm (2.32)
    12. Alvida (1.94)
    ~~ RANKINGS: Design ~~
    1. Rosinante (4.44)
    2. Kureha (4.29) - 0.04
    3. Caesar (4.28)
    4. Jabra (4.07)
    5. Carue (3.90)
    6. Galdino (3.88)
    7. Smoker (3.73)
    8. Zoro (3.40)
    9. Alvida (2.89)
    10. Conis (2.63)
    11. Ohm (2.59)
    12. Bellamy (2.30)

And with that, let's present the 13th Character!
    The genius of hard work!

Rock Lee

To get the whole picture, please tell us the following:

What are the things that you love about Rock Lee?
    What are the things that you loathe about Rock Lee?

At the end please give Rock Lee two ratings:

One for his character & actions in the story.
    One for his look & design.

These must be between 1 and 5, with 5 being the highest (.5's are acceptable - ex. 1.5 or 4.5).

This analysis will be open for the next 72 hours.

Missed the previous character? You can still comment on them and the points will be counted. But only the previous character.

Enjoy!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information