+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Best and Worst of One Piece in 2016

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Default The Best and Worst of One Piece in 2016

I was gonna create this in 2016, but procrastination got the better of me, but at least the AP Awards are following in my footsteps too

Time for the annual tradition where we nominate the best and the worst that happened in One Piece in 2016, the "Year of Sanji". Yeah, kind of obvious from the title I suppose. The categories are:

• Best Moment of the Year
    • Character of the Year
    • Best New Character of the Year
    • Best Fight of the Year
    • Best Surprise of the Year
    • Quote of the Year
    • Funniest Moment of the Year
    • Shame of the Year
    • Worst Character of the Year
    • Worst New Character of the Year
    • Worst Fight of the Year
    • Worst Surprise of the Year

Only nominations from Chapter 811 to Chapter 850 count. Chapter 851 officially comes out this year.

A lot of new characters were introduced this year, so I've listed them in the box below, separating by major and minor characters:
    Spoiler:

MAJOR CHARACTERS
    Spoiler:
    • Vito
    • Raizo
    • Charlotte Pudding
    • Vinsmoke Judge
    • Vinsmoke Reiju
    • Vinsmoke Ichiji
    • Vinsmoke Niji
    • Vinsmoke Yonji
    • Charlotte Mont d'Or
    • Charlotte Opera
    • Charlotte Galette
    • Charlotte Brulee
    • Charlotte Cracker
    • Pound
    • Randolph
    • Amande
    • Diesel
    • King Baum

MINOR CHARACTERS
    Spoiler:
    • Milky
    • Sally Isntoinette
    • Gotti
    • Nitro
    • Rabian
    • Charlotte Moscato
    • Charlotte Praline
    • Charlotte Perospero
    • Charlotte Chiffon
    • Charlotte Smoothie
    • Anana
    • Dolce
    • Dragee
    • Anglais
    • Zeus
    • Prometheus
    • Capone Pez
    • Cosette
    • Epony
    • Noble Croc
    • Zepo

So, have fun! I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Mine are below.

Spoiler:
    • Best Moment of the Year: Zunisha annihilating Jack's fleet. An awesome moment in every sense of the word. Honorable Mention: Kaido's drunken rampage in Wano Country, since it revealed a lot about the guy.
    • Character of the Year: Sanji. Yeah this one was a no-brainer for me. Some people may not have liked how the year has ended with Sanji still sinking lower and lower, but I've loved how one of the core characters has fundamentally changed in just one year, and done it so well in the process. And yes, we'll be sure to get a sweet redemption this year.
    • Best New Character of the Year: Charlotte Brulee. I was gonna do another predictable answer and say Pudding, but thinking back I really think I've enjoyed her the most. Oda really went all out on her design, she had a great power, and she was pretty fun to watch in any scene she was in.
    • Best Fight of the Year: Luffy vs. Cracker. There weren't too many fights this year, so this may be a popular choice. Even with a relative lack of competition, I enjoyed this battle quite a bit, as it transitioned from a good ol-fashioned slugfest to a battle of endurance as Cracker designed elaborate biscuit weapons and Luffy ate them. Sure, perhaps a little more of it could have been shown, but it was still a great fight.
    • Best Surprise of the Year: Sanji's heritage revealed. There were a ton of amazing surprises this year, but one of the earliest ones takes the cake because this fundamentally shook an extremely major character to the core and paved the way for this arc we've been having. Honorable mentions go to "Raizo is safe!", the Beasts Pirates taking over Wano Country and to Pudding's Face-Heel Turn.
    • Quote of the Year: Kaido's badass boast in Chapter 824. And you know every single word of it is true, especially since he cites his sources.
    • Funniest Moment of the Year: Pedro holding his sword to Pudding's throat. The sheer timing of that scene was hilarious. Made even better by the fact that Pedro was right all along.
    • Shame of the Year: Luffy and Cracker's fight being skipped over. This actually wasn't that bad, but nothing really was bad to me this year. It's just a little disappointing because, even though it wouldn't ultimately be much more, it would've felt better to actually see Nami figuring out how to soften the biscuits, and Luffy eating the biscuits, and Nami using the homies to protect her, rather than being told all that and forced to infer the rest.
    • Worst Character of the Year: Charlotte Cracker. Again, not a truly bad character, but just not as good as the others. Sure, he had fun quirks like his craftsmanship and his intolerance to pain, but overall he just felt like muscle and was not really very memorable.
    • Worst New Character of the Year: Since Cracker is also new, he gets the dubious distinction of both awards. I'll throw in Honorable Mention: Diesel for debuting with Randolph and Amande as a dangerous warrior who massacred an island to get flour but then, unlike the other two, making his official debut only to be quickly defeated and used as a horseman. I like his design though, I'll give him that.
    • Worst Fight of the Year: Carrot vs. Randolph. Should have been longer.
    • Worst Surprise of the Year: Destruction of the Revolutionaries' Base. For an event as big as that, it was treated with quite a bit of brevity.

Spoiler:

Default Re: The Best and Worst of One Piece in 2016

Everyone know that Character of the year is sanji
    Spoiler:

By fire be purged

Diesel is a Major Character? And Opera? Mont' Dor? Randolph? Galette?

Hidden:

Best Moment of the Year

The minks revealing they had been hiding Raizou all along

• Character of the Year

Jack, even though his hype train hasn't lasted the year out, I still think he stands out as the biggest badass of the year. He really made a great impression as a thoroughly intimidating villain.

Honorable mentions: Brook, Luffy, Jinbe, Smoothie ( based on the wringing panel alone )

If I have to choose I guess it's Pudding. She's the most wellrounded out of all the characters we've been introduced to. People were expecting her to be evil from the getgo, but Oda kept on subverting our expectations, only for her to make the reveal at a time nobody saw it coming. Bravo.

• Best Fight of the Year

Brook vs Big Mom's Mooks, the Cracker vs Luffy ( the only real fight ) left a bit to be desired

Again, Raizou being safe

• Quote of the Year

If 851 is excluded unfortunately the most badass quote ever can't be put here...

There wasn't really anything all that funny... I guess it would be Luffy fucking up all the food in the kitchen.

• Shame of the Year

Randolph and Carrot not having an all-out fight, at least for a chapter.

Brulée. My god what an annoying cackling c-word.

Brulée again

I can't really think of a very bad one honestly

I would say the Vinsmoke cloning facility stuff. It feels like it won't lead anywhere interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Diesel is a Major Character? And Opera? Mont' Dor? Randolph? Galette?
    The designations were arbitrarily picked by me and don't matter that much

Spoiler:

Best Moment: Urouge hype rising for beating a Sweet Commander.
    Character of the Year: Jack, The Drought.
    Best New Character: Praline.
    Best Fight: Pedro vs Tamago.
    Best Surprise: Capone has a son.
    Funniest Moment: Luffy and Chopper gets fat.
    Worst Character: Carrot.
    Worst New Character: Vinsmoke Yonji.
    Worst Fight: Sanji Vs Judge.
    Worst Surprise: Pudding is evilz. OH NOOOOOES!

Hidden:

Zunisha defeating Jack

• Character of the Year
    Big Mom

Amande

• Best Fight of the Year
    None. Maybe Carrot vs Randolph if it wasn't so brief.

• Best Surprise of t
    he Year
    Raizou was safe in Zou

• Quote of the Year"You idiots better run, because until now you've only been playing little pirate games" -Kaido

Pekoms: "Watch your mouth, boy! I will wreck you. Mama is an emperor of the sea, one of the Yonkos!"
    Luffy: "'K."
    Pekoms: "You're making my wounds hurt even more"
    Luffy: "Your eyes are so cute."

• Shame of the Year
    So many members of Big Mom Pirates being defeated without being properly introduced.

Vinsmoke Judge

Raizo

Luffy vs Sanji

Germa Kingdom cloning facility

Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    Everyone know that Character of the year is sanji

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    This scene actually reinforces firelord's argument.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Yay, it's back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Only nominations from Chapter 811 to Chapter 850 count. Chapter 851 officially comes out this year.
    Actually, I think this is supposed to start at Chapter 809 (going by Shonen Jump issue #'s, I believe?), since last year's cut off at 808 and people were bummed that that meant Nekomamushi didn't quite make the "new character" cut. Which, in turn, means that Chapter 847 would be the cutoff by the same rules.

But anyway, for mine, here they are:

Best Moment of the Year
    "Raizo...is safe!" I remember my face pretty much being exactly the same as the Straw Hats' when that was revealed. It was basically a game changer for the entire arc up to that point, and I loved it. I was also thrilled when the anime managed to do the scene complete justice.
    Honorable Mention: The official formation of the Ninja-Pirate-Mink-Samurai Alliance. The Minks are probably my favorite group of "citizens/townspeople" we've had so far, and I adore several of them, so the confirmation that they'd be joining Luffy's and Law's already-established alliance was awesome.

Character of the Year
    Well, this was Sanji's year, and he's got at least two CotY tournaments (that I know of) under his belt to prove it. We got to learn more about his backstory, and his capture by the Big Mom Pirates is the driving force for the current Totland arc, which I'm quite enjoying.

Best New Character of the Year
    When it's starting with Chapter 809, Nekomamushi is, unsurprisingly, certainly one of them for me. I also really love Vinsmoke Reiju, the badass princess who can kick her brother into the sea, inhale a crap-ton of poison with no harm to herself, and bend prison bars even from a young age.

Best Fight of the Year
    Hmm, there actually weren't that many big fights this year, were there? I'm gonna go with Luffy (and Nami and Kingbaum) vs. Cracker. It's a shame that we didn't see a lot of it, and that made it harder to care about it, but seeing Luffy's creative modifications to Gear Fourth were pretty cool, and it was nice that Nami was able to fight alongside him and play a vital role.

Best Surprise of the Year
    Getting to find out so much stuff about Raftel and how to get there was an unexpected but very welcome surprise. It really did a good job of refreshing the hype for the day when the Straw Hats are finally able to reach it, find the One Piece, and learn the truth about the Lost Century.
    Honorable Mention
    : Everyone preparing for the Reverie. I'm pretty hype for that, too!

Quote of the Year
    Normally I don't repeat things for these, but the fact that just three little words ("Raizo is safe!") could be that much of a game changer and cause that much of an explosion in the fandom makes it hard to choose anything else.
    Honorable Mention: Kaido's stuff about "playing pirates" (complete with finding out he captured Kid). Got me feeling pretty hype for the upcoming Wano arc.

Funniest Moment of the Year
    Ooh boy, Zou in particular had so many funny moments, but I think my favorite was probably Luffy jumping off Zunisha, his group's completely horrified reaction, the other SH half's casual responses to it, and everyone else's absolutely epic jaw drops. I was laughing out loud really hard when I read that.

*Note: for all the "bad" ones (Shame/Worst and such), I mostly don't think that they were badly written or anything, just that I personally dislike the characters or the events that happened.
    Shame of the Year
    Most of the newly-formed alliance, including half the Straw Hats, being Put on a Bus. I understand why it was done, of course, but I just really miss having the whole crew together. We only had a very brief time of it in Zou (and even then, Sanji was missing) before they were divided back up again, and even though I definitely am enjoying this arc, I'm still really looking forward when they're finally all reunited again (with Jimbei too this time).
    *(Note: If it were going up to 850, the honorable mention would be Pudding turning out to be evil after all, for me personally, because I quite liked her until then. I do enjoy that it's interesting and different from Oda-sensei's usual MO, though.)

Worst Character of the Year
    Jack the Drought. We found out more details about what an absolute, utter asshole he was, he comes back to be more of an asshole by attacking Zunisha, and then after all his arrogance and rashness (which already got him into trouble when trying to save Doflamingo), he just gets pwned even worse (though, granted, watching that happen was hilariously awesome, and I did enjoy that even more because of how much I don't like Jack).

Worst New Character of the Year
    I hate all four newly introduced Vinsmoke males, but Vinsmoke Judge takes the prize. A complete asshole and a horrible father who goes out of his way to be even more of a douchebag pretty much every time he appears (and he's the one who made his rotten sons the way they are). I really hope Sanji kicks his ass before this arc is over.
    Honorable Mentions: Ichiji, Niji, and Yonji.

Worst Fight of the Year
    Ichiji + Niji + Yonji vs. Sanji (or more like, them completely beating up on Sanji). Seeing those smarmy asshole quadruplets of Sanji getting their way *again*, after everything they did during their childhood made me wanna set something on fire. (Probably them.)

Worst Surprise of the Year
    That Blackbeard and crew did indeed succeed in finding and destroying Baltigo. Why do things always seem to work out so well for this jerkwad?
    Honorable Mention: That the remnants of Whitebeard's crew got completely pwned by BB and co., for pretty much the same reasons. Pretty cool that Nekomamushi's going to look for them, though.
    Last edited by BellisarioFaith; January 7th, 2017 at 06:34 PM.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    Actually, I think this is supposed to start at Chapter 809 (going by Shonen Jump issue #'s, I believe?), since last year's cut off at 808 and people were bummed that that meant Nekomamushi didn't quite make the "new character" cut. Which, in turn, means that Chapter 847 would be the cutoff by the same rules.
    Ah, so previous years threads referred to Shonen Jump years that start in November or so...well I'm gonna buck the tradition a bit and just go with the chapters officially released this calendar year

Spoiler:

• Best Moment of the Year: Luffy insulting Big Mom... big time!
    • Character of the Year: Sanji of course.
    • Best New Character of the Year: Charlotte Pudding
    • Best Fight of the Year: Luffy VS Cracker easily
    • Best Surprise of the Year: Road Poneglyphs. Nobody saw them coming.
    • Quote of the Year: Kaido's pirate games quote and/or everything Luffy says in his fight against Sanji and in the aftermath most of all.
    • Funniest Moment of the Year: Luffy countering Cracker
    • Shame of the Year: None
    • Worst Character of the Year: None, believe it or not.
    • Worst New Character of the Year: Yonji. I don't hate him though.
    • Worst Fight of the Year: VS Brulee in the mirror world
    • Worst Surprise of the Year: Nothing comes to mind.
    In violently vociferating you violate your virility with vacuous vanity, vanguard of vileness. I visit my vengeance by vindictively vacating my vapours on your visage.

Originally posted by UssopSpell.

Best moment of the year:
    The minks were protecting Raizou all along!
    The Minks being the biggest group of bros the whole time, going through all the suffering Jack inflicted on them just to protect their ally Raizou was amazing. Especially after coming after the piece of shit citizens of Dressrosa. This cemented Zou as one of my favourite arcs in One Piece

Character of the year:
    In spite of the year of Sanji Luffy has really stolen the show for me this year. His final stand against Big Mom's incoming troops was such a great montage of events as well as just seeing how far he'd for Sanji and probably any crew member just makes me smile. There's also been a plethora of hilarious moments involving Luffy from straight up jumping off of Zunisha to the great Luffy Vs Cracker fight. He really is a fantastic protagonist.

Best New character of the year:
    Garfield Nekomamushi. Love his design, love his personality, love his history, love this character

Best fight of the year:
    Zunisha Vs Jack's crew, what a great one shot!

Best surprise of the year:
    A retread of my favorite moment of the year but the reveal that the minks were protecting Raizou all along really caught me by suprise and I absolutely love it.

Quote of the year:
    Hidden:

Funniest moment of the year:

The Luffy vs Cracker fight. Luffy countering Cracker was really funny but most of this vote comes from all the panels of Luffy and Cracker going flying through the heads of the tree homies. I thought that was such a hilarious detail when I read it.

Shame of the year:
    This is hard because it's been a strong year. I'll go with the begging of the seducing woods

Worst character of the year:
    Pretty difficult but I'll just choose Chopper for being so annoying at the begging of whole cake island. Every 5 seconds "Wow this building made of candy!" "Wo this bridge is made of candy!" Yeah we get it, it's called WHOLE CAKE ISLAND!

Worst new character:
    Sanji's boring mum

Worst fight of the year:
    Chopper and Carrot Vs Brulee and the mirror brigade

Worst surprise of the year:
    Sanji's started cooking because his mum liked his garbage food, also he read about All Blue in a book

Best Moment of the Year
    Zunisha annihilating Jack's fleet. There is just something incredibly satisfying about a 1000 year old elephant pummeling a half-mammoth man into the sea. I also really liked how Oda hyped Jack up so much only to be taken out almost instantly by one single swipe. Having a 1 billion berry bounty doesn't mean that you can challenge a survivor from the past and a force of nature.

Honorable mentions: Big Mum's full reveal. A huge, insanely powerful giant woman with murderous eating disorders and governs an island straight out of a nightmare fairytale. The Alice-in-Wonderland atmosphere of Totland in general is enjoyable too.

Character of the Year
    Pudding. How my opinion of Pudding changed throughout the chapters: A character THIS nice? Something's fishy. >> She could be just pulling a Conis and betraying them just because she had no choice but to. >> She really can't be evil at this point. And its great to see a genuinely kind character once in a while. >> I am actually hoping that Sanji and her can be happy at this point. >> She's thinking of running away? Maybe she just wants to set her own destiny and not become Big Mum's puppet. Good luck girl! >> Welp.

Though I have some minor complaints, like her excessive gloating right when she was revealed to be evil. Its entertaining to read to an extent (who doesn't like hammy bad guys?) but it will go stale very quickly. The main reason why I put her as character of the year was mainly because how she managed to convince even cynical readers like me to be a sweet person... only for her to do a full 180 degree turn, making the impact all the greater and making us really feel bad for Sanji.

Honorable mentions: Sanji, Brook, Big Mum, Tamago, Urouge, Capone and to an extent Nami.

Noble CrocReiju. She is the only one among the siblings to actually care for Sanji but never stood up for him (at least in public) because she didn't wanted to be bullied too. While that does not make her more likeable, it does make her interesting and believable. I like how she cares for Sanji in her own rather selfish way.

Honorable mentions to the Big Mum family. Probably a collection of the best designs Oda ever did, and Raizou! This is how you ninja. Can't wait to see more of him in the near future.

• Best Fight of the Year
    I am probably the minority who liked the Cracker vs Luffy fight a lot (due to the creative usage of Luffy's DF abilities). I had no problem at all for parts of the fights being skipped, though I understand why some people wanted to see more of it.

Honorable mention to Baron Tamago VS Pedro solely due to the attack name 'Leggs Benedict'.

Baltigo being destroyed and the Payback War. While the event happening isn't a 'yay, this happened!' event to the readers, it signifies the churning of the gears of the New World and building up the hype of Blackbeard as the final villain, and entertains the possibility of the remaining Whitebeard Pirates becoming an ally of the Straw Hat Crew.. Damn that man and his offscreen luck though.

Honorable mention is 'Raizou was here all along!' but I didn't really liked it as much as other readers did because I'm not a big fan of the 'huge number of people sacrifice just for one person' trope. And also Capone Gang Bege, shrewd, ruthless mob-boss themed Very-Important-Pirate, is a doting father. Though his taste in baby products are rather questionable...

• Quote of the Year
    The wedding cake song. It was wonderfully unnerving and set up the general tone for the Totland arc.

Chapter 825 in general despite being such an important chapter. Kaido's drunken rages (and tears) and Luffy's terrible cooking. Makes me even more excited to see more of the guy.

Honorable mentions go to Pedro and Brook's epic jaw drops when they were eavesdropping Tamago. Pedro and Brook make a great team.

• Shame of the Year
    Maybe Big Mum's plan to assassinate the Vinsmokes (assuming that Pudding is telling the truth). Mainly because Big Mum has proved herself to gain power not through strength alone, but also diplomacy and political manipulation. While the Vinsmokes aren't everyone's favourite people, imagine the uproar if the newspaper headlines say "Rulers of the Mighty Germa Kingdom Murdered by Yonkou Charlotte Linlin while Happily Celebrating Youngest Son's Wedding" which is a big 'nope' to her public New World image. We aren't sure what is her real motivation yet though, so its still too early to judge. Kinda scrapping the bottom of the barrel here for this entry because this year has been a decent year for One Piece in general.

Vinsmoke Yonji. For kicking a turtle in a flashback.

Vinsmoke Yonji. For kicking a turtle in a flashback.

Worst Fight of the Year
    Carrot and Bropper vs Team Brulee. Not that I found it terrible or anything, and I did appreciate it giving Chopper time to shine, but just that I wanted to see more of the characters that were taken out, eg: Randolph, Noble Croc, Brulee.

Germa clones. I don't think it would lead anywhere interesting at all. It just feels sort of shoehorned in to keep up with the sci-fi theme for the Germa 66. And maybe the explanationof the origin of Sanji's chivalry. I don't particularly mind Sanji's knowledge of the All-Blue coming from a book. It may be overtly simple but I like the idea of Sanji just chasing his childhood dream.

↑Biological Weaopn of Doom and Destruction

That one panel of Big Mom's army marching towards Luffy in the rain. It was just so powerful and even the Vinsmokes were impressed.

• Character of the Year
    Pudding. Easily one of the most entertaining fleshed out characters in a long time.

Still Pudding

• Best Fight of the Year
    Big Mom's army beating the crap out of Luffy

The road poneglyph stuff, that was really cool in terms of lore

• Quote of the Year

The retrieval team's reactions to Luffy's cooking

• Shame of the Year
    Zeff being the source of everything that is wrong with Sanji

Momonosuke. He just had to have some super special spiritual connection to Zunisha. I can't stand the brat.

Raizo. I really don't care for any of the samurai guys, Raizo just feels so bland and typical.

Chopper and Carrot vs Brulee. It felt like most of that scenario happened off screen, so the payoff was kinda whatever.

Pudding being evil, I'm still buttmad.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

The whole event with Bege, Pekoms, Sanji and the gang. Sadly this was the last time Sanji was going to have some success in 2016.

• Character of the Year
    Sanji. I wanted to give it to Pedro with hindsight; the guy was absolutely right regarding Pudding, his backstory, his working with Brook and general competence were all things that were great, but during the course of the year it was Sanji's story that was keeping me looking forward to reading it each week...Pedro's DAMN close though now.

I think I have to default give it to Pudding. Sanji's family have just been jackasses(and yes I include the sister there because whilst she does free Sanji, her desire to put her own safety first is not an admirable quality IMO), Cracker had the most tedious fight this year, Raizou didn't do anything despite the build up, and no one else done a hell of a lot. I guess Pound's okay? Kinda wish Pedro, Carrot or Neko had been new this year.

• Best Fight of the Year
    Pedro Vs. Tamago. Again, not many real fights this year but I'm not giving it to Cracker vs. Luffy which came at a time when we were just learning about Sanji's story and frankly felt like an incomplete side attraction, Same reason I cannot give it to Chopper and Brulee. Sanji vs. Judge gets a special mention.

The Minks protecting Raizou. The long winded lead up was implying some tedious conflict that would need resolving but fortunately Oda was just trolling us.

• Quote of the Year
    None really stood out...I guess the "we would never rat out our friends" or Brook's "Soul King" comment would suffice.

Jack getting annihilated. Especially satisfying since he basically begs for it to happen by attacking Zunisha. Now he's stuck at the bottom of the ocean, alive but unable to move. Hilarious.

• Shame of the Year
    Lack of Jinbei.

Jack. Such hype for a character who gets defeated in the funniest way to date. Honerable mention goes to the Wano Samurai gang who have stuck around for quite some time now and still contributed nearly nothing bad Monosuke who is just annoying in general.Ceasar appeared this year right? He's always up there for me.

A lot of characters introduced this year but not many have done enough to be classed as characters yet. Maybe one of the Vinsmoke Brothers since they're all pretty interchangable personality wise. Ichiji didn't even do anything yet did he?

Luffy vs. Cracker. Felt like a distraction to the actually interesting reveals around Sanji's family, backstory and plot. Didn't help that most the interesting points of the fight such as Nami coming up with the plan to soften the biscuits to let Luffy eat, regain strength and fight back were offpaneled.

I'm going to have to agree with the Vinsmoke clone soldiers. I can't see anything of worth coming from this random plot point other than showing what a sack of scum Judge is.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

The end of Chapter 845, with the juxtaposition between Luffy and Nami fighting the Enraged Army in the syrup rain while Sanji confides in Pudding and proposes to her. That was one intense sequence that perfectly encapsulated the paralleled drama and different threats that are facing Luffy and Sanji throughout the arc. And an excellent means of showcasing their different mentalities between impulsively never giving up despite the odds seeming impossible to surmount and succumbing to despair with one dim flickering hope alongside you.

Honorable Mention: Jimbei's return.

• Character of the Year
    Charlotte Linlin, AKA Big Mom. She is the only reasonable choice besides Sanji or maybe Jimbei. A kooky Mafioso pirate captain.

Honestly... It's a tie between Vito, Perospero, and Mont-d'Or. I know those seem like such random choices. But I love the former's quirky design brimming with creepiness and two cool pistols. But I also adore Mont-d'Or's book-themed Devil Fruit and all of the surreal, yet intuitive rules it seems to have. And... just look at Perospero. He's the freaking Willy Wonka architect of Totland!

• Best Fight of the Year
    Luffy and Nami versus the Enraged Army. I wanted to say Luffy versus Sanji, but what it lacks in compared to the former despite having grueling visuals and profound emotional conflict was the atmosphere of the area it took place in. And I still feel like Oda could have written a more unique execution of Luffy and Sanji's encounter than having the former try a facade like Nami and Robin, even though it's completely understandable (for those who have basic character comprehension, that is). But Luffy's fight against the Enraged Army had all three due to the syrup rain and storm produced by Prometheus and Zeus, along with the build-up of Big Mom's wrath manifesting in these forces whenever a Sweet Commander is defeated. It was also nice to see Luffy and Nami team-up. And I'm just a sucker for seeing protagonists take on huge armies that seem impossible to deter.

Pudding 's deception. I'm so glad that Oda had the balls to pull that off. And I was even a prominent denouncer of that theory being exaggerated. But I'm more than happy to admit that I'm wrong when acknowledging how unique this is for female characterization in this manga with how despicable Pudding is. Seeing Sanji break down from shock was very effective.

• Quote of the Year

Spoiler:

Robin's quote in this page exhibiting her trust in the Straw Hats. The reaction is such a funny, adorable, and engrossing way to commemorate how much the Straw Hats have bonded after so many adventures.

Spoiler:

"What a boring story, Big Mom!" Sometimes I just love how hilariously blunt Luffy is and how much he doesn't care about the past.

• Shame of the Year
    Brûlée, Randolph, Aristocroc, and Diesel getting defeated with one hit KOs by a plan that was formed off-panel. It could have been a really cool resolution if it the Mirror World had even gotten half a chapter of proper build-up and suspense than being treated as a running gag sideshow of a plotline.

I don't really hate anybody. But if I HAD to pick someone... Believe it or not, Smoothie. Her Devil Fruit, while cool in a quirky way with how it wrings out juices, doesn't look like it's efficient in battle (for all I know). She had to step aside for Big Mom instead of getting a chance to strut her stuff, which is disappointing. It only gets more disappointing when you acknowledge how Oda typically writes "beautiful" women in battle, along with the prominent likelihood of the Big Mom Pirates not going down this arc. And I have no idea what to make of her attire. I really can't say that I feel anything towards it other than than it's unique. I don't particularly love Cracker, but I at least liked the cracker armor, biscuit soldier summoning, and firecracker hair.

Same as above.

Chopper and Carrot versus Brûlée, Randolph, Aristocroc, and Diesel for the reasons I already stated.

Despite how I praised Pudding's facade reveal earlier in this post, I choose Pudding's Bond villain monologue revelation that the Vinsmokes and Straw Hats are planned to be annihilated. I'm not a fan of Big Mom going back on her word without justifiable provocation after all of the build-up towards making her a unique antagonist as a kooky, ethically grey business woman who offers deals that you can't refuse with "equal exchange" while earnestly respecting the selfish ambitions of others. And I can't see the logic in the Vinsmokes needing to be eradicated. I trust that will be explained in future elaboration or a flashback though. Which is why I don't think people should label the Germa soldiers being clones as "going nowhere" just yet before we see why Linlin is so motivated to destroy the Vinsmoke Family at the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    Now now, Jaime. That is from Chapter 851, which is not counted in this thread as a 2016 chapter. :P
    Last edited by Count Mario; January 8th, 2017 at 02:30 PM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

I'm gonna choose the confrontation between Sanji and Luffy. It was the moment that affected me more. It was a really well executed scene where you could clearly see the pain that Luffy, Nami and Sanji were going through.

• Character of the Year
    I'm gonna have to choose Sanji. This was his year in terms of character development. We got to know him even better, see him going through some internal conflits and even having such harsh decisions such as going against his captain. He may not have had the best of luck in some cases or the best attitude, but he was the character of the year.

Big Mom. She really does justice to the Yonkou. She is intimidating and has a great personality.

• Best Fight of the Year
    Luffy vs Craker. It was well executed in the beginning and had a funny ending.

The Minks knowing Raizou all along. Didn't see that coming.

• Quote of the Year
    "You ain't getting, that easy Sanji!!!Third rate pirates? Cut the crap! I've never heard you say anything so fake and forced. You're a terrible liar! You really think that's gonna be enough to get rid of me? That's gonna be enough to turn my back at you? You of all people should know better!! The more you kicked me, the harder you kicked me...You were the one feeling the pain!! We are not done yet. Our adventures are waiting for us. I'm not budging an inch from this spot! You don't come back soon...then this will be the final resting spot of my shriveled spine after I starve to death!!(...) Come back Sanji, without you, I won't become the Pirate King!!!!"

Yeah, this whole speech from Luffy to Sanji from chapter 844.

Luffy and Nami's moment in chapter 831 where Luffy asked her if she really is surprised after seeing one talking Croc.

Nami. I really liked her helping Luffy and trying to fight the Enraged Army, but some of her most recent attitudes annoyed me. Besides, I really didn't know who else to choose, so I chose Nami.

Cracker. He was beastly, principally when he was inside his armor, but after showing his real self, he turned out to be a dissapointment. He really shouldn't have been that cocky in front of the guy who defeated Doflamingo. He should have been more serious about it.

Chopper & Carrott vs Brullee, Randolph, Noble Croc & Diesel.

Brullee turning out to be such a fragile character in terms of fighting.

Cool thread! Seeing the list of characters really hits home how many there are in this series...

Best Moment of the Year

Definitely the Road Poneglyphs revelation. We haven't had anything substantial said about Raftel for years, and it was an incredible surprise. A reminder that this series does have an end and that now we're getting closer to it.

Character of the Year

Undoubtedly my man Sanji. Hard to choose anyone else; the flashbacks and personal struggles have made Sanji into a whole new character for me (well not yet technically). At the same time he's equally pissed me off because this arc is basically Baratie on steroids. In that arc, Sanji (for a moment) refused to fight because the Baratie ship would be damaged and Zeff would be killed. Despite Luffy lecturing him on the point of sacrificing one's life for others, here he is again doing the same thing. BUT, the difference is Sanji's backstory. The mixture of helplessness and degradation he's gotten from his sibling and father have completely justified his actions imo. This is just Sanji being Sanji and not wanting to cause anyone any trouble at the expense of his own joy and dreams. Oda has done an excellent job, and I can't wait to see where Sanji ends up next year now that he's lost everything.

So if Big Mom doesn't count, then I'll go with Charlotte Pudding. I was someone who was suspicious of her from the start, but only for the potential in where the plot could go regarding Sanji. Pudding was built up to be the nicest One Piece character ever, and the only saving grace in Big Mom's demented family. She represented someone the Straw Hats could relate to, and I was super interested to see what would happen if that rya of hope was suddenly taken away. I can't think of another female character as sinister as her besides Big Mom herself, and together they feel like fresh villains. Can't wait to see if Pudding has anything else up her sleeve.

Best Fight of the Year

Luffy vs. Cracker, no contest. The hype was unreal when Cracker's bounty was revealed, to Luffy going G4, to Cracker revealing his true body and powers, to the hilarious conclusion. The fight represents a milestone regarding enemy hierarchies in my opinion. Also, it shows once again that pure strength doesn't always equal victory. Yay for Nami and Luffy teamup!

"Raizou is safe!" Did not see it coming. What an incredibly emotional moment.

Quote of the Year

"Without you, I won't...I can't be Pirate King!"

People say Luffy has no character development...well here it is folks. This journey is as much about himself as it is about his friends at his side. Luffy can't just get another cook. The fact that he acknowledges this, and Sanji's contribution to the team, is awesome.

Luffy jumping off of Zou and everyone's reactions. "Bye!"

Shame of the Year

Off-panelling even a single moment of Big Mom vs. Brook. C'mon! I've been waiting forever for this!

Worst Character of the Year

Vinsmoke Judge. What a fucking ass hat. I don't think I've disliked a character as much as him in the entire series. Maybe Spandam? Whatever, this guy is gonna get destroyed and it'll be great. Yonji also deserves a mention for being hilariously jobberish.

Worst New Character of the Year

Gonna go with Randolph. For the hype of showing him with Amande and Diesel (lol this guy too), he ended up being chump change.

Worst Fight of the Year

Wouldn't even call the Brulee stuff a fight. I'll go with the Vinsmoke brats vs. Sanji. Fucking infuriating and blue-ballsish moment for Sanji fans who just know he can kick their asses. Ugh.

Worst Surprise of the Year

Sanji's chivalry coming from Zeff. I had hoped his Mom would have been a bigger influence, but given the way the story is going it makes sense to build up character traits to Zeff to keep Sanji in this shitty situation.

Best Moment of the Year
    Minks revealing they hid Raizou.
    Simply a strong scene with so many emotions, that made us fall in love with this tribe and making them allies for the rest of the series.

Character of the Year
    BM - I first didn´t really like her design, but what Oda showed us with her face expressions is just amazing.
    I also like her mood can change so quickly, truly makes her terrifying and her scenes enjoyable.

Cracker - really enjoyed his true form being hidden, while i couldn´t stand his biscuit-soldier. Thought the fight would be over in no time, but no^^

Best Fight of the Year
    Easily Luffy vs Cracker
    Honorable mention: Jack vs Zou, but it wasn´t much of a fight^^

Finally getting with the road poneglyphs some kind of final treasure map and something to hunt for our protagonists.
    After reading OP for so many years, it always jaw dropping to get new milestones for the ending of this series.

Introduction of Nekomamushi.
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information