+ Reply to Thread
Page 913 of 966 FirstFirst ... 413 813 863 903 911 912 913 914 915 923 963 ... LastLast
Results 18,241 to 18,260 of 19309

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

I cannot even begin to explain how little I care about which primary candidate freshmen house members in incredibly safe districts endorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    I cannot even begin to explain how little I care about which primary candidate freshmen house members in incredibly safe districts endorse.
    Good thing no one asked you to explain then. Really saves you a tremendous amount of effort. Joking aside, a lot of people probably do care who these women endorse, seeing as how they're pretty prominent voices in the progressive movement. And I don't think anyone should disregard their voices simply because they're young and new. Look at what embracing the old and tired has gotten us.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

It’s going to be hard to get people to see from your perspective of you keep taking that tone.

Dude, you're allowed to say what you want in this thread. But be civil about it.

Insulting others will get you thread banned.
    Last edited by Robby; October 18th, 2019 at 06:36 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Supporting Bernie does not make you sexist. It's when you vote for Trump instead of Clinton because you're pissed that Bernie wasn't nominated.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

For context, the article's headline reads "State Department probe of Clinton emails finds no deliberate mishandling of classified information"

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/10/18/day-1002/

Day 1002: White House confessional.

1/ Mick Mulvaney tried to walk-back his claim that Trump's decision to withhold nearly $400 million in military aid to Ukraine was in exchange for an investigation of the hacked Democratic National Committee server. Trump has repeatedly claimed his decision to hold up the aid was due to concerns about corruption in Ukraine and that European nations weren't doing enough to help Ukraine. Trump was reportedly "not happy" with Mulvaney's press briefing, in which his acting chief of staff said "We do that all the time with foreign policy" and that every one should "Get over it," because "There's going to be political influence in foreign policy." Mulvaney later issued a statement, which was first reviewed by Trump, saying that "There was absolutely no quid pro quo between Ukrainian military aid and any investigation into the 2016 election." When Trump was asked to clarify Mulvaney's statement, Trump responded: "I think he clarified it." Meanwhile, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Mulvaney's comments a "confession." (Wall Street Journal / New York Times / CNN)
    • 📌 Day 1001: Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney confirmed that Trump blocked military aid to Ukraine to force Kiev to investigate his political rivals. Mulvaney called the quid pro quo exchange "absolutely appropriate" and that "we do that all the time with foreign policy." Mulvaney added: "I have news for everybody: Get over it. There's going to be political influence in foreign policy." Mulvaney also told reporters the funds were withheld in part because of a request to have Ukraine investigate unfounded allegations that foreign countries assisted Democrats in the 2016 election. Trump has repeatedly denied that there was a quid pro quo arrangement linking his demand for an investigation that could politically benefit him to the release of $391 million in military aid to Ukraine. (Washington Post / New York Times / Politico / CNBC)
    2/ Associates of an indicted Ukrainian oligarch tried to dig up dirt on Joe Biden in exchange for Rudy Giuliani helping the oligarch avoid extradition to the U.S. Dmitry Firtash changed lawyers in July to Joe diGenova and Victoria Toensing, who were supporters of Trump and associates of Giuliani. They hired Lev Parnas, also a Giuliani associate, as a translator. Parnas was arrested last week along with several associates and accused of conspiring to violate campaign finance laws. The Justice Department has described Firtash as an associate of "Russian organized crime." (Bloomberg)
    • A career diplomat told congressional investigators he was ignored when he raised concerns in January 2015 about Hunter Biden working for a Ukrainian natural gas company that he believed could look like a conflict of interest. George Kent, a deputy assistant secretary of state, testified that he had concerns that Ukrainian officials would view Hunter Biden as a conduit for currying influence with Joe Biden. (Washington Post / Wall Street Journal)
    3/ Rick Perry won't comply with a subpoena from the Intelligence, Oversight and Foreign Relations committees, saying he would defer to Energy Department counsel, which said it was "unable to comply" with the subpoena for documents. (CNBC / Politico / CNN)
    • Trump will nominate Deputy Secretary of Energy Dan Brouillette to replace Rick Perry, who will leave at the end of the year. (Washington Post)
    4/ The Trump administration imposed new tariffs on a record $7.5 billion worth of goods from the European Union, including Airbus, French wine, and Scottish whisky. The tariffs went into effect just after midnight after talks between U.S. and European trade negotiators failed to reach a deal. Civilian aircraft will now cost 10% more when imported to the U.S., while the cost of wine, olives, certain cheeses, butter, and other consumer goods will also rise. (CBS News / MarketWatch / CNBC)
    • Trump's top economic adviser warned Trump that continued escalation of the U.S.-China trade war could hurt the economy and his chances for re-election. Trump instead the Federal Reserve should share blame for any economic downturn, and that it should be doing more to stimulate growth. (Wall Street Journal)
    5/ The Kurds say Turkey is violating the ceasefire brokered by the U.S. in northeastern Syria. The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces said Turkish shelling and artillery fire has continued despite Pence's announcement that he and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had brokered a five-day ceasefire in the region. (CNN / Associated Press)
    • Mitch McConnell called Trump's withdrawal of U.S. troops from northern Syria a "grave strategic mistake," but never mentions Trump by name. (Washington Post)
    6/ House Democrats are preparing a resolution to condemn Trump's decision to select the Trump National Doral Miami for the next G7 summit, calling the selection inconsistent with the emoluments clause of the Constitution. (CNBC)

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Supporting Bernie does not make you sexist. It's when you vote for Trump instead of Clinton because you're pissed that Bernie wasn't nominated.
    While also making misogynistic remarks about Hillary.

Followed by the ultimate punchline of dumbasses still calling for her to be investigated and insisting she covered up everything relating to Benghazi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Alright, I apologize for being a douche. I just hate being attacked as a sexist just for supporting Bernie Sanders. But that doesn't excuse acting like an asshole in this thread and venting my frustrations on you guys, who definitely don't deserve it.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

It was certainly putting a few toes across the line but nothing horrible.

I still think it Bernie's made a few selfish decisions along the way and he probably shouldn't have run this election, but the evaporation of good will towards him has mostly been a result of his most obnoxious and/or sexist supporters, not much he's done himself (though one could argue he could have done more to support Hillary in 2016). I have a few friends supporting him this year and I don't really think less of them for it or anything. He's still the most progressive candidate and that's going to earn followers.

On that note, it really shouldn't surprise anyone that AOC and Omar endorsed him considering how liberal they are. I'm just curious to see how much it moves polling numbers, since I'd imagine that most of their followers were already supporting him.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    It was certainly putting a few toes across the line but nothing horrible.

I still think it Bernie's made a few selfish decisions along the way and he probably shouldn't have run this election, but the evaporation of good will towards him has mostly been a result of his most obnoxious and/or sexist supporters, not much he's done himself (though one could argue he could have done more to support Hillary in 2016). I have a few friends supporting him this year and I don't really think less of them for it or anything. He's still the most progressive candidate and that's going to earn followers.

On that note, it really shouldn't surprise anyone that AOC and Omar endorsed him considering how liberal they are. I'm just curious to see how much it moves polling numbers, since I'd imagine that most of their followers were already supporting him.
    I don't expect Bernie to gain much if at all in the polls from these endorsements, but I'll still support him all the way until the general if I have to. That being said I'd gladly vote for Warren in 2020, seeing as how she is the next best thing to Bernie. I just don't see her beating trumpy, but I'll still vote for her regardless.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

What REALLY bothers me about Bernie is how single-minded he seems about his pet issues.

He seems very dismissive of any issue he can't tie back into economics, money in politics, financially disenfranchised white dudes, Universal health care etc.

I mean, he even started a tweet about the latest round of rape accusations about Brett Kavanaugh with: "As a federal judge who overwhelmingly sided with corporate power and Wall Street, Brett Kavanaugh should never have been nominated."

The part where he talks about the rape accusation starts on the third tweet in the thread.

It REALLY Comes off as if he's going:

"Brett Kavanaugh is a bad Wall Street Guy!... Oh yeah, and maybe also some rape stuff. that's bad too.

This crap makes me feel like he'll de-prioritize anything he can't tie into his pet issues and really rubs me the wrong way about him.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    What REALLY bothers me about Bernie is how single-minded he seems about his pet issues.

He seems very dismissive of any issue he can't tie back into economics, money in politics, financially disenfranchised white dudes, Universal health care etc.

I mean, he even started a tweet about the latest round of rape accusations about Brett Kavanaugh with: "As a federal judge who overwhelmingly sided with corporate power and Wall Street, Brett Kavanaugh should never have been nominated."

The part where he talks about the rape accusation starts on the third tweet in the thread.

It REALLY Comes off as if he's going:

"Brett Kavanaugh is a bad Wall Street Guy!... Oh yeah, and maybe also some rape stuff. that's bad too.

This crap makes me feel like he'll de-prioritize anything he can't tie into his pet issues and really rubs me the wrong way about him.
    That's fair. But to me all that shows is that he's passionate and does care about the things he talks about. Medicare for all, free college, and anti corruption are all extremely important things to address going forward.
    Kavanaugh is a disgusting scumbag who shouldn't be allowed anything resembling power, especially not one of the most powerful positions in the country. Unfortunately we live in times where things like country over party and common human decency don't really hold a lot of sway. But if you believe that Bernie doesn't care about a sexual predator being in the white house and on the supreme court...then I really don't know what to tell you. The people who support trumpy and kavanaugh don't care that they're rapists, and the people who don't support them know and are disgusted by it. As they should be.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

Passion and care about issues facing Americans today is always something that election candidates ride on every election season. It's to be expected. What we need to see is how these issues will get addressed in an elaborate fashion. Sanders is no exception here.
    Last edited by Kaba Kaba Fruit; October 19th, 2019 at 07:17 PM.

Seriously, my only true objection to Bernie is how old he is. Unless he makes Warren his vice-president or something there is too big a chance of him croaking in office and leaving us in the lurch.

Seriously, my only true objection to Bernie is how old he is. Unless he makes Warren his vice-president or something there is too big a chance of him croaking in office and leaving us in the lurch.
    Honestly? Sanders/Warren or Warren/Sanders are my dream tickets.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

He would also be our first Jewish president.

But again, I'm sorry Bernie, you just had a heart attack, your body is not up to snuff to be president.

He would also be our first Jewish president.

But again, I'm sorry Bernie, you just had a heart attack, your body is not up to snuff to be president.
    Bernie had a heart attack. And? My grandfather had a heart attack when he was younger than Bernie, and he's older than Bernie now. My grandfather didn't slow down after his either. He still drives, works around the house, mows lawn, blows snow, etcetera. I've seen first hand that a heart attack doesn't destroy your life, so people saying it somehow disqualifies Bernie should sit down.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Election Year 2036. Bernie Sanders runs for president again while in a wheelchair and hooked up to an IV bag and oxygen tank.

Bernie Supporters: Yep! This is our guy!

The vast majority of Bernie supporters voted for Hillary. And even if they didn't, it's not at all hard to believe that they could have believed any number of theories about her instead of being sexist. Lots of people are just stupid, gullible, or both.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information