+ Reply to Thread
Page 907 of 970 FirstFirst ... 407 807 857 897 905 906 907 908 909 917 957 ... LastLast
Results 18,121 to 18,140 of 19384

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    Taxing the rich their fair share and cutting unnecessary expenses like the disgustingly bloated military budget for starters. And as far as keeping big money from being a corrupting influence, he simply doesn't engage in it.
    I believe he was pointing out the fact that a good portion of Bernie's agenda would require congressional approval and even if democrats did wind up controlling both some of that would realistically not be signed on on by them much less Republicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I mean yeah, she's a marginally better choice than say Biden or Kamala. But that's not saying much in my opinion. Between Bernie and Warren there's only one who is for medicare for all, free higher education, eliminating student loan and medical debt, and is serious about removing big money's influence on our politicians. I'd begrudgingly support Warren if it comes down to her vs trumpy, but if you want a president who is for real, comprehensive change as opposed to just middling tweaks around the edges, then Warren ain't it chief.
    This is just plain wrong. Warren's got a plan for literally everything you just listed except for canceling medical debt. And that medical debt plan Bernie just announced? That's based on a paper Warren co-authored in 2005, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her announce something similar.

Elizabeth Warren is wayyy closer to Bernie Sanders than Kamala Harris or Joe Biden. There's a reason they haven't gone after each other and it goes beyond friendship.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

How likely do you guys think it is that he'll actually be impeached?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Ironically, this is pretty much conservatives right now:

The only thing that feels like would make it more accurate is have the video he asked for produced at the end and have it not changing their mind. The mental gymnastics is amazing for a lot of people. My brother asked me if there shouldn't be an investigation on Joe Biden and I said if there was actual evidence that there was something to be investigated then proper ways to ask should be used, not what Trump is doing.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    How likely do you guys think it is that he'll actually be impeached?
    Likelihood of getting impeached is pretty good. The idea is steadily gaining popular support and the House of Representatives, which starts the process, is majority Democrats. Likelihood of that impeachment leading to a conviction in the Republican majority Senate? Far less so, as it depends on the Republicans turning on Trump and they've yet to truly do that

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I believe he was pointing out the fact that a good portion of Bernie's agenda would require congressional approval and even if democrats did wind up controlling both some of that would realistically not be signed on on by them much less Republicans.
    Ah, I misunderstood then. My bad. As for congressional approval and what not, Bernie has said that as president he would use executive orders whenever possible to push his agenda, and use his position to lean on uncooperative dem congresspeople. A bold plan, but when the future of the country and it's people are at stake, sometimes to need to lean on people to get the job done.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    This is just plain wrong. Warren's got a plan for literally everything you just listed except for canceling medical debt. And that medical debt plan Bernie just announced? That's based on a paper Warren co-authored in 2005, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her announce something similar.

Elizabeth Warren is wayyy closer to Bernie Sanders than Kamala Harris or Joe Biden. There's a reason they haven't gone after each other and it goes beyond friendship.
    She is closer to Bernie than Biden or Kamala, but not by as much as she first appeared to be. Don't get me wrong, she's a progressive, and my second choice. But she's just not progressive enough for the comprehensive change this country needs going forward. If you guys support her as your first choice, that's cool, I'm not here trying to dissuade or shit on anyone. I'm just defending my choice same as you.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    If he wasn't so old I might back Bernie, but I don't want my guy dying in office like a year after he enters.
    Age is a concern, but I'm willing to take a chance that he could do a lot of good this country desperately needs before anything happens. Besides, we don't know who his vp choice would be yet.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Ah, I misunderstood then. My bad. As for congressional approval and what not, Bernie has said that as president he would use executive orders whenever possible to push his agenda, and use his position to lean on uncooperative dem congresspeople. A bold plan, but when the future of the country and it's people are at stake, sometimes to need to lean on people to get the job done.
    Yeah with Trump doing the same thing after Republicans bitched and whined about Obama doing that it'd be really interesting for Bernie to do it or try to do it.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Yeah with Trump doing the same thing after Republicans bitched and whined about Obama doing that it'd be really interesting for Bernie to do it or try to do it.
    I don't see your point. You're saying a president shouldn't use all the power at their disposal to make the country a better place...because a bunch of regressive lunatics might get mad at them?
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Now Trump wants China to investigate.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/03/p...020/index.html

Basically, Trump expects that brashly flaunting his illegal conduct will make his base dismiss it, due to the gut response of "If it was that bad/criminal he wouldn't openly admit to it like that! No one is that stupid/amoral. This means its not that bad, I guess"

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Basically, Trump expects that brashly flaunting his illegal conduct will make his base dismiss it, due to the gut response of "If it was that bad/criminal he wouldn't openly admit to it like that! No one is that stupid/amoral. This means its not that bad, I guess"
    I don't think his base cares that he's a criminal. As long as he continues to "own the libs". Whatever that happens to mean at the current moment.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Trump's strategy of" doing more crime" to cover the crimes makes my stomach turn.

Why does he just KEEP DIGGING DEEPER?! Is he daring them now? Is he trying to normalize this so he looks less guilty? Is he REALLY convinced he's untouchable?.... is it sad I think he might actually be right?...

There is a part of me, a very small part mind, but it's there, that wants to feel like this impeachment will actually lead to something. Maybe he doesn't get convicted (GOP Controlled Senate means it has an iceberg's chance in Greeland of happening) but maybe the House does impeach and this ends up taking his popularity and maybe, just maybe he loses re-election...

I just have a very hard time believing it after everything I've seen.

I'm still convinced between the Alt-Right chunk of the Republican party plus the scores of people there who know he's shit but support him due to party loyalty, plus every Democrat front runner having issues, plus the Left's tendency to infight, plus swing voters being stupid...

I'm just still pretty firmly concinced if he's allowed to run he's going to win.

It's so depressing how far south shit has gone.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

I don't see your point. You're saying a president shouldn't use all the power at their disposal to make the country a better place...because a bunch of regressive lunatics might get mad at them?
    No just that even if Bernie wanted to get what he wanted accomplished by executive action it'd simply be challenged by the courts so either which way there would be problems.

Who was exactly the other Republican candidate choice other than Trump in 2016 again?
    Last edited by KageKageKing; October 3rd, 2019 at 07:37 PM.

I'm very confused here, how can we say what Trump is doing, using executive orders for anything he likes, is wrong and amoral and then say it's okay when Bernie does it

I mean sure showing the hypocrisy of conservatives who supported Trump doing this and then immediately switched sides once a democrat did it, would be entertaining as hell, but outside of that it just seems ridiculous for Bernie to say "Trump is abusing his power with these executive orders.... so I'm gonna do the same exact thing once I'm president but for my agenda!"

I mean am I wrong? It seems like Hypocrisy on our side too

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Who was exactly the other Republican candidate choice other than Trump in 2016 again?
    There were like 20 guys. All of whom said Trump wasn't fit to be president, then immediately switched to kissing his ass, no matter how he had insulted them or their families.
    Last edited by Robby; October 4th, 2019 at 03:32 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I'm very confused here, how can we say what Trump is doing, using executive orders for anything he likes, is wrong and amoral and then say it's okay when Bernie does it
    Because some of Trump's executive orders effectively do things like

- Adversely impact the affordable care act
    - Block federal grant money for sanctuary cities
    - Prevent the entry of individuals traveling to the U.S. from specific countries for a certain amount of time.
    - Slash regulations which I presume would include beneficial regulations.
    - Go back to allowing federal contractors to potentially discriminate against LGTBQ individuals.
    - Make it easier for religious institutions to engage in political speech Johnson Amendment be damned.
    - Creates a sham commission to prove that millions of illegal votes costed trump the popular vote (which of course was not true and wasted millions of taxpayer dollars).
    - Allows state and local law enforcement agencies to use hand me down military gear (grenade launchers save lives?).

We don't yet know what any potential executive orders Bernie would try to push for would look like but at least for now they don't come off looking like bullshit that serve no meaningful purpose or benefit the wrong people like half of Trump's.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    There were like 20 guys. All of whom said Trump wasn't fit to be president, then immediately switched to kissing his ass, no matter hoe he had insulted them or their families.
    Uughh, I cringed to Jeff Bush.

Real question is, why would he be allowed to run for re-election while being impeached? That should be super ilegal.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information