+ Reply to Thread
Page 899 of 899 FirstFirst ... 399 799 849 889 897 898 899
Results 17,961 to 17,978 of 17978

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Apparently Bolton's out. Hooray?
    I feel a tiny bit safer with Bolton out. Trump is bad enough on his own, so the last thing he needed was a known warmonger whispering in his ear about how easy it would be to invade Venezuela and Iran.

I'm shocked I tells ya shocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee1000 View Post
    I feel a tiny bit safer with Bolton out. Trump is bad enough on his own, so the last thing he needed was a known warmonger whispering in his ear about how easy it would be to invade Venezuela and Iran.
    Bolton's absolutely a horrible racist warmongering walrus, but it seems he and Trump disagreed frequently. The trade-off is likely a bad influence who still fights with Trump versus a likely sycophant that enables Trump further.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

I'll take it. Things aren't great, but this is a positive.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...09/10/day-964/

Day 964: Extremely complete

1/ Trump announced that he fired his national security adviser, who insists that he resigned. John Bolton, disputing Trump's version of events, tweeted that "I offered to resign last night and President Trump said, 'Let's talk about it tomorrow.'" Trump, meanwhile, tweeted that "I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House." Trump added that he "disagreed strongly with many of [Bolton's] suggestions." The two have had a series of disagreements during Bolton's tenure, including how to handle sensitive foreign policy matters involving North Korea, Afghanistan, and Iran. Trump did not name Bolton's successor but said he plans to name a replacement "next week." Bolton was Trump's third national security adviser. (Washington Post / New York Times / NBC News / CNN / ABC News / Wall Street Journal / Bloomberg / Associated Press / BBC / Axios)2/ Trump called his second national security adviser and told him that he missed him. In phone calls with retired Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, Trump has solicited advice on national security challenges, including asking McMaster whom he should nominate for Secretary of Defense. McMaster was also fired by Trump on Twitter. (NBC News)
    • 📌 Day 421: Trump plans to remove national security adviser H.R. McMaster and is currently considering potential replacements. Trump plans to take his time with the transition in order to avoid humiliating McMaster and ensure he has a strong replacement. Other Trump officials, like Ben Carson and Mick Mulvaney, are also rumored to be on the chopping block. "There will always be change," Trump said. "I think you want to see change. I want to also see different ideas." Sarah Huckabee Sanders, meanwhile, disputed the story that Trump had decided to fire McMaster, tweeting: "Just spoke to @POTUS and Gen. H.R. McMaster — contrary to reports they have a good working relationship and there are no changes at the NSC." (Washington Post / New York Times)
    • 📌 Day 428: Trump will replace H. R. McMaster with John Bolton as his national security adviser. Bolton is a Fox News commentator and a former United States ambassador to the United Nations. McMaster had reportedly been discussing his departure with Trump for several weeks. "The two have been discussing this for some time. The timeline was expedited as they both felt it was important to have the new team in place, instead of constant speculation," a White House official said. "This was not related to any one moment or incident, rather it was the result of ongoing conversations between the two." McMaster, a three-star Army general, also announced that he would retire from the military. Bolton will be Trump's third national security adviser in 14 months. Bolton was also passed over for a State Department job last year, because Trump didn't like his mustache. (New York Times / Washington Post / Bloomberg / CNN)
    3/ The purported high-level CIA source extracted from Russia in 2017 is currently living in Washington under his real name and under government protection. The CIA's Russian informant was active in the agency's conclusion that Putin ordered and orchestrated the campaign to interfere in the 2016 presidential election. The CIA then exfiltrated one of its top spies from Russia after officials became concerned he was in danger of being caught after Trump "mishandled" classified material. While NBC News is withholding the man's name and other key details at the request of U.S. officials, he fits the profile of the person who may have had access to information about Putin's activities, and who would have been recruitable by American intelligence officials. The NBC correspondent went to the man's house, rang the doorbell, and five minutes later two men in an SUV came up the street and parked immediately adjacent to the correspondent's car. (NBC News)
    • 📌 Day 963: In 2017, the U.S. extracted one of its highest-level covert spies from inside the Russian government. The previously undisclosed secret mission was driven, in part, after Trump shared classified information with the Russian foreign minister and Russian ambassador in a May 2017 Oval Office meeting. (CNN)
    • 📌 Day 111: Trump met with Putin’s top diplomats at the White House. The talks came one day after Trump fired the FBI Director, who was overseeing an investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election. Sergey Lavrov met with Rex Tillerson earlier in the day and sarcastically acknowledged the dismissal of James Comey by saying "Was he fired? You're kidding. You're kidding." The Kremlin said Trump's firing of Comey will have no effect on bilateral relations between the two countries. Trump also met with Sergey Kislyak, a key figure in the Flynn investigation. (Associated Press / Reuters / Washington Post / NPR)
    4/ Trump has repeatedly expressed skepticism about using foreign intelligence from covert sources, saying he doubts the credibility of the information they provide. Multiple senior officials who served under Trump, said he privately complained that foreign spies can damage relations with their host countries and undermine his personal relationships with their leaders. (CNN)
    5/ Trump claimed he'll release an "extremely complete" report of his financial records in order to dispel the notion that he's profiting off of his administration. In response to questions from reporters about several instances of U.S. Air Force personnel staying at his Turnberry resort in Scotland, Trump said it was unfair to suggest that he played any part in the arrangement because he owns so many different properties. He offered no specifics about the report, nor did he give a timeline of when he plans to release it. (Politico)
    6/ Trump played a direct role in setting up the arrangement between his golf resort in Scotland and officials at Glasgow Prestwick Airport with the goal of increasing private and commercial air traffic to the region. During Trump's presidential run, the Pentagon began using the airport to refuel Air Force flights, giving the local airport the job of finding accommodations for flight crews who had to remain overnight. Yesterday, Trump said that the deal had "NOTHING TO DO WITH ME," but documents show both Trump and the Trump Organization were directly involved in crafting the partnership. The Trump Organization worked to get Trump's resort on the list of hotels that Prestwick would routinely send aircrews to, even though Turnberry is 20 miles from the airport – farther away than many other hotels and with higher advertised prices. (New York Times)
    • 📌 Day 963: An Air National Guard crew stayed at Trump's Turnberry golf resort in Scotland in March. The Air Force plane stopped at a nearby airport to refuel both en route to the Middle East and back, with the crew staying at the resort, which lost $4.5 million in 2017, but revenue went up $3 million in 2018. The Air Force confirmed that crew members stayed at Turnberry, but said "it did not appear" that they stayed at the hotel on the way back. There are more than two dozen hotels, guesthouses and inns a few miles from the Prestwick airport with most of them much less expensive than the $380/night advertised rate at Trump Turnberry. The fuel would have also been cheaper if purchased at a U.S. military base. (Politico / New York Times)
    • 📌 Day 963: Trump denied being involved in the stays at Turnberry by Air Force crews, tweeting that "I know nothing," but that "they have good taste!" Air Force crews will typically stop at U.S. military bases in Europe to refuel, where it's cheaper to do so. Trump added: "NOTHING TO DO WITH ME." (Politico)
    poll/ 60% of Americans expect a recession in the next year. Trump's economic approval rating declined from 51% in July to 46% in September, with 47% disapproving. (Washington Post)
    poll/ 48% of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing as president – down from 44% in June. 56% disapprove of the way Trump is handling his job as president. (ABC News)
    poll/ 60% of American say Trump does not deserve to be reelected. (CNN)

Notables.

1. More Americans lack health insurance for the first time since the Affordable Care Act passed in 2010. About 27.5 million people, or 8.5% of the population, lacked health insurance for all of 2018, up from 7.9% the year before. (New York Times)
    2. The Trump administration promoted an immigration judge that threatened a 2-year-old Guatemalan boy with an attack dog if he didn't stay quiet in court. "I have a very big dog in my office," Judge V. Stuart Couch told the boy, "and if you don't be quiet, he will come out and bite you!" In August, the Trump administration promoted Couch and five other judges to the Justice Department's Board of Immigration Appeals, which often has the final say over whether immigrants are deported. (Mother Jones)
    3. Trump ordered White House officials to crackdown on homelessness in California. Trump has repeatedly attacked Democratic politicians in California over the state's homelessness issue, which he's called a "disgrace to our country." The Trump administration, however, may have exacerbated the problem by tightening immigrants' eligibility for federal assistance. (Washington Post)
    4. A federal judge set Michael Flynn's sentencing for Dec. 18th. Flynn pleaded guilty on Dec. 1, 2017, to lying to the FBI about contacts with then-Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak. (Washington Post)
    5. Three House committees are investigating reported efforts by Trump and Rudy Giuliani "to pressure the government of Ukraine to assist" Trump's re-election campaign. The Democratic chairman of the House Intelligence, Oversight and Foreign Affairs committees wrote to the White House and State Department seeking records related to what they described as efforts to "manipulate the Ukrainian justice system." (Reuters / CNBC)

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...09/11/day-965/

Day 965: Boneheads.
    1/ Trump ordered Mick Mulvaney to have NOAA repudiate a tweet by weather forecasters that contradicted his statement that Hurricane Dorian posed a significant threat to Alabama. Mulvaney then called Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to tell him to have the forecasters disavow their position that Alabama was not at risk. Ross, in turn, threatened to fire top employees at NOAA if the situation was not addressed. Trump, meanwhile, denied ordering Mulvaney to direct Ross to pressure NOAA to rebuke scientists who contradicted his hurricane claim, saying "I never did that — I never did that," dismissing the situation as "a hoax by the fake news media." (New York Times / Washington Post / Politico)

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...claims-1489686

2/ The House Committee on Science, Space and Technology opened an investigation into Ross pressuring the acting administrator of NOAA into supporting Trump's false claim about Hurricane Dorian. The committee also demanded documents and information related to the unsigned statement that NOAA issued that was perceived as rebuking its own scientists for contradicting Trump's claim that Dorian would hit Alabama "harder than anticipated." (New York Times)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/c...ss-dorian.html

Day 963: Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire NOAA employees after the agency's Birmingham office contradicted Trump's claim that Alabama would be hit "harder than anticipated" by Hurricane Dorian. Ross directed Neil Jacobs, the acting administrator of NOAA, to fix the agency’s perceived contradiction of the president. Jacobs initially objected to the demand, but was told by Ross that the political staff at NOAA would be fired if the situation was not resolved. NOAA then sided with Trump over its own scientists, stating that Alabama was in fact threatened by the storm at the time of Trump's tweet that Alabama would "most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated." NOAA is a division of the Commerce Department. (New York Times / Washington Post)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...tradicted-him/
    3/ The Trump administration will not grant temporary protected status to Bahamians displaced by Hurricane Dorian. Temporary protected status would have let Bahamians work and live in the U.S. until it is deemed safe to return home. (NBC News)

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...-fled-n1052561

4/ Trump's trade war with China has reduced U.S. employment by 300,000 jobs through a combination of eliminated jobs by companies struggling with tariffs and jobs that would have been created but weren't because of reduced economic activity. Moody's Analytics forecasts that the job toll from the trade war will hit about 450,000 by the end of the year, if there are no changes in policy. (Yahoo Finance)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump...194717808.html

5/ Trump called on the "boneheads" at the Federal Reserve to lower interest rates to "ZERO, or less" and again blamed the Fed for a slowing U.S. economy. Trump also called on the Fed to "start to refinance our debt" despite there being no modern precedent for the refinancing of federal debt. The U.S. is currently $22.5 trillion in debt, $16.7 trillion of which is owed by the public. The federal debt burden has grown by 13% – $2.6 trillion – under Trump, due in part to the 2017 tax cut Trump pushed through Congress. (CNBC / Washington Post / Politico)

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...eheads-1488845

6/ Trump tweeted "never forget" to mark the 18th anniversary of the Sept. 11th terror attacks, but after first attacking the "Amazon Washington Post/ABC" over an unfavorable poll, which he called a "phony suppression poll." Trump also tweeted about the Federal Reserve and pressuring it to lower interest rates, congratulating Republicans in a North Carolina special election, and ranting about China and his trade war. (HuffPost)

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donal...b09342507c5a2e

Day 964: 60% of Americans expect a recession in the next year. Trump's economic approval rating declined from 51% in July to 46% in September, with 47% disapproving. (Washington Post)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...5d3_story.html

Day 964: 38% of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing as president – down from a career-high 44% in July. 56% disapprove of the way Trump is handling his job as president. (ABC News)

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ten-...ry?id=65414875
    Notables.
    Three of former national security adviser John Bolton's top aides submitted their resignations. Trump said Bolton was fired while Bolton said he resigned. (Reuters)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1VW24P

The Trump administration plans to ban the sale of non-tobacco-flavored electronic cigarettes following an outbreak of a vaping-related lung disease that has sickened 450 people and resulted in at least six deaths. (Politico / New York Times / CNBC / NBC News)

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...risis-n1052396

Republicans in Iowa and New Hampshire have promised not to cancel their caucus and primary for 2020 even as GOP leaders in other states have canceled party elections to help clear the way for Trump's reelection. GOP officials in New Hampshire said that "under no circumstances" will they ever cancel the state's primary election, "whether there’s token opposition or a serious contest." Iowa Republicans said it was "never even up for discussion." (Associated Press)

https://apnews.com/3cf0a814468b4aa9bc1679aae61fe1ae

Trump posted a photo of a "Trump 2024" campaign sign on Twitter and Instagram, joking once again that he is interested in serving more than two terms. Trump has made the joke in various forms on several different occasions, including earlier this year when he suggested that he would be president forever. (Newsweek / Fox News / Washington Post / HuffPost)

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump...b09342507b425e

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

So sorry for the really late replies! I had a lot of stuff going on in real life, but a bit better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Not really sure what we can do to stop it, I doubt we'll ever have one child rule like China, and we're still quite a long ways a way from inhabiting other planets
    Yeah, I doubt we start to live on Mars any time soon, would have been cool though.

I'd like to hear what others think could be a possible solution too, because we're on the verge of fucking up our planet so bad there's no going back
    Yeah, for me personally, I'm gonna adopt, as there are many children out there without a family.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    China at least has shown us how a rule like "one child policy" does not work.
    Can you explain what makes it not work out of curiosity? I don't know much about it to be honest. The major con I have with China's law is the fact that people are forced to have only one child.

Nobody has figured out how to deal properly with overpopulation, but at this rate we may have to rely on nature to do the job for us. Ala the Black Death or few giant earthquakes/tsunamis.
    Yeah, I guess that might work. It feels like people are living longer than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Economic prosperity is negatively correlated with average number of kids per family. That is, as countries modernize and develop, adults have fewer kids. With that in mind, helping third-world countries modernize in an ecologically-conscious fashion and providing them with various family-planning tools like contraception is our best bet towards curbing overpopulation. That's got enough of a humanitarian bent to it that it won't be political poison.
    Yeah, I actually like that idea.

That said, Western countries consume vastly more resources per capital and produce a ton more pollution per capital too. Slowing population growth is important in terms of our total resources but from a climate change perspective, there's a larger impact to adjusting the lifestyles of people, and especially companies, of first-world countries.
    That's true too. I wonder what I can do to lower my carbon footprint. I only really know of recycling, but need to figure out how to do it correctly. What would be some other things I can do?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    There's way too many people in the world versus the rate we use resources and create garbage, especially since infant mortality is down and folks live to be 100, but people naturally moderate a bit as society changes. My wife's parents were both from families with 7 kids each, and my dad has four brother and my mother is the oldest of three. I have a cousin who was one of 5 kids.
    Interesting. Truth with my family. It's just me and two brothers. My mom was one out of eleven... Though my dad's side was different, he was one out of three.

But in turn, my wife's parents only had two kids, my parents only had one, six of my cousins combined have only had three, I'm not planning on having kids... the world is changing and people are adapting to it, for a variety of reasons. Imposing a hard rule like China isn't going to work, but no one is going to have giant families with seven kids anymore.
    Well, that's a good thing then. Hopefully the population can slow down eventually.

Thank you everyone for responding by the way! Sorry again for being so late to replying!

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - Unknown; Character - Unknown; Series - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Can you explain what makes it not work out of curiosity? I don't know much about it to be honest. The major con I have with China's law is the fact that people are forced to have only one child.
    China's biggest problem with the one child policy is that for centuries having a son has always been more important than a girl for them (most Asian countries, tbh, or hell the human race in general). Because of this, few families were willing to keep their daughters if they had one, so China was inundated with a LOT of abandoned baby girls and a serious amount of infanticide on top of it. Hence why so many families in the West were adopting Chinese girls, because they had no one to adopt them in their own country.

Now China has allowed a family two children, so that problem has waned. However, what people didn't think about was the fact that due to so many people abandoning or killing their daughters they now have an entire generation of people where the men vastly outnumber the women, meaning they now have huge number of bachelors with no wives to make a family with. Because they have no families to concentrate on, China has a lot of young men with nothing to do other than work, which gives them a lot of time to get in trouble or even think rebellious thoughts.

A lot of men nowadays in China are apparently going to neighboring countries to get wives, or even buy them, but it doesn't solve the problem entirely. Now that they've seen what happens, and that they can have two children, maybe more people will keep their daughters.

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/09/12/day-966/

Day 966: Simply unacceptable

1/ The Trump administration repealed Obama's landmark clean water protections that had placed limits on polluting chemicals that could be used near streams, wetlands, and other bodies of water. The Obama-era Waters of the United States rule was designed to limit pollution in about 60% of the nation's bodies of water, protecting sources of drinking water for about one-third of the U.S., and extended existing federal authority to limit pollution in large bodies of water. The EPA plans to also establish a stricter legal definition of what qualifies as "waters of the United States" under the Clean Water Act before the end of the year. The existing rules would be replaced with a much narrower definition of the types of tributaries, streams, and wetlands that are subject to protections. (Washington Post / New York Times / Politico / CBS News)
    2/ The Supreme Court ruled that the Trump administration can continue to deny most Central American migrants from seeking asylum in the U.S. while a legal battle over the issue plays out in the lower courts. The Court issued a brief, unsigned order that says the administration can enforce new rules that generally refuse asylum applications from migrants who failed to apply for it in another country after leaving home but before arriving at the southern border. For instance, migrants from Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador cannot seek asylum in the U.S. if they didn't first ask for it in Mexico. A separate lawsuit to overturn the new rules is still working its way through the lower courts. (New York Times / NBC News / Reuters / Wall Street Journal / Washington Post)
    3/ The CEOs of 145 companies called on the Senate to pass "common-sense gun laws," stating that it is "simply unacceptable" to do nothing about gun violence in America. The letter urges the Republican-controlled Senate to enact bills already introduced in the House that would require background checks for all firearm sales and stronger "red flag" laws, which could prevent shootings in cases where family members or law enforcement report concerns about someone who may be at risk of harming themselves or others. (NPR / New York Times)
    4/ The Trump administration discussed offering China a limited trade agreement that would delay or roll back some U.S. tariffs increases set to take effect in October and December in exchange for Chinese commitments on intellectual property and agricultural purchases. Several of Trump's top economic officials are reportedly trying to resurrect the deal they were previously negotiating with China that officials said was "90 percent" done. A senior White House official, however, said the U.S. is "absolutely not" considering an interim trade deal with China. (Bloomberg / Politico / CNBC)
    5/ The FBI and other federal agencies accused Israel of placing cell phone surveillance devices near the White House within the past two years. The devices were likely intended to spy on Trump, according to senior U.S. officials, but it is unclear whether the attempts were successful. When Trump administration officials heard about the surveillance devices, however, they didn't rebuke Israel, which is usually the case when incidents of foreign spying are discovered on U.S. soil. A spokesperson for the Israeli Embassy called the claims "absolute nonsense," and insisted that "Israel doesn't conduct espionage operations in the United States, period." (Politico)
    6/ The U.S. deficit surpassed $1 trillion in the first 11 months of the fiscal year – up 19% from a year ago and exceeding $1 trillion for the first time since 2012. The government said it expects to borrow more than $1 trillion for the second year in a row in 2019. (Wall Street Journal / Bloomberg)
    7/ The Justice Department recommended indicting former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe over his alleged "lack of candor" during an internal watchdog probe in 2017. McCabe authorized the FBI to investigate possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia to influence the 2016 election. The grand jury hearing the case was recalled this week after going months without meeting but left without revealing any immediate signs of an indictment. (Washington Post / NBC News / Politico / CNN / New York Times)
    8/ The House Judiciary Committee approved a resolution defining the rules for its impeachment investigation into Trump. The measure also triggers a House rule that gives Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler the ability to deem committee hearings as impeachment hearings, allowing staffers to question witnesses for an hour at the end of every hearing, gives Trump's lawyers the ability to respond in writing to public testimony, and allows the committee to collect information in secret "executive sessions." The Judiciary Committee believes it has identified five areas of potential obstruction in Robert Mueller's probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election, in addition to the hush-money payments to two women who claimed to have had affairs with Trump, and allegations that Trump has used his public office to benefit his private business. The resolution passed along party lines, 24-17. (New York Times / NBC News / Politico / CNN / Washington Post / Reuters)

Waldorf:

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Now China has allowed a family two children, so that problem has waned. However, what people didn't think about was the fact that due to so many people abandoning or killing their daughters they now have an entire generation of people where the men vastly outnumber the women, meaning they now have huge number of bachelors with no wives to make a family with. Because they have no families to concentrate on, China has a lot of young men with nothing to do other than work, which gives them a lot of time to get in trouble or even think rebellious thoughts.
    Hmmmm another thing the Chinese want to co-opt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Ivanka tells donors she got her moral compass from her dad – Trump’s family and allies are getting personal with donors, dishing out morsels about life in the White House

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...donors-1488704

Immediate thought from just the headline: "This explains so much."
    ----
    Appeals Court Revives Seth Rich Lawsuit Against Fox News – The network exploited the Democratic National Committee staffer's murder and spread false conspiracy theories.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-n...b077dcbd5ce8cc

An appeals court on Friday reinstated a lawsuit from the parents of slain Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich against Fox News, who exploited Rich’s 2016 murder and promulgated right-wing conspiracy theories about it.

Rich’s parents, Joel and Mary Rich, sued the network after it published unverified claims in 2017 that linked Rich to Democratic National Committee emails leaked by WikiLeaks during the 2016 presidential election.

The lawsuit seeks damages for the “emotional distress” caused by the right-wing fixation on their son’s death.

A lower-court judge threw out the lawsuit last year, saying that the suit’s claims were not “sufficiently outrageous” and “fail to adequately allege essential elements of the causes of action asserted.”

But on Friday, a panel of federal appeals court judges in New York said the judge erred in dismissing the suit.

“The Riches’ complaint plausibly alleges enough facts to state a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress — for extreme and outrageous conduct by [Fox News],” the judges wrote in their ruling. “We have no trouble concluding that — taking their allegations as true — the Riches plausibly alleged what amounted to a campaign of emotional torture.”

Fox News responded to the lawsuit’s revival in a statement Friday:

The court’s ruling today permits Mr. and Mrs. Rich to proceed with discovery to determine whether there is a factual basis for their claims against FOX News. And while we extend the Rich family our deepest condolences for their loss, we believe that discovery will demonstrate that FOX News did not engage in conduct that will support the Riches’ claims. We will be evaluating our next legal steps.

Waldorf:

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    Ivanka tells donors she got her moral compass from her dad – Trump’s family and allies are getting personal with donors, dishing out morsels about life in the White House

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...donors-1488704

Immediate thought from just the headline: "This explains so much."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-n...b077dcbd5ce8cc
    Why even admit that. That's nothing to be proud of, and you could say anything else.

Meanwhile, NASCAR is rejecting some gun advertisements for some reason. As the article says, it's a weird choice cause who else but gun owners watch this? I guess I should be happy regardless.

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/09/13/day-967/

Day 967: Moral compass

1/ A federal appeals court revived a previously-dismissed lawsuit that accused Trump of violating the Constitution's emoluments clause. The lawsuit claimed that Trump's "vast, complicated and secret" business arrangements violate the Emoluments Clause, which bars presidents from accepting gifts from foreign governments without the permission of Congress. The case was originally dismissed by a lower-level federal judge in December 2017. Earlier this year, Trump won a separate emoluments suit by the Democratic attorneys general of Maryland and the District of Columbia when the case was dismissed by another federal appeals court's. (Bloomberg / Washington Post / Politico / CNN / Axios)
    • 📌 Day 902: A federal appeals court dismissed an emoluments lawsuit against Trump. The judges rejected the premise of the case that the Trump International Hotel – blocks from the White House – had violated the domestic and foreign emoluments clauses of the Constitution by accepting money from state and foreign governments at Trump's hotel in downtown Washington. While Trump stepped back from day-to-day management of the businesses, he still maintains ownership. "Even if government officials were patronizing the hotel to curry the president's favor," the court said, "there is no reason to conclude that they would cease doing so were the president enjoined from receiving income from the hotel. After all, the hotel would still be publicly associated with the president, would still bear his name, and would still financially benefit members of his family." All three judges on the panel were appointed by Republican presidents. (NPR / New York Times / Washington Post / NBC News / CNBC)
    • 📌 Day 144: In a separate case, the Justice Department argued that Trump can accept payments from foreign governments while he is in office. Advocates from the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington brought the suit against Trump in January, asserting that because Trump-owned buildings take in rent, room rentals and other payments from foreign governments he breached the emoluments clause. (Washington Post / Politico / The Hill)
    2/ Trump plans to pay for his border wall using funds from more than four dozen Air Force construction projects poses a variety national security risks, according to a report composed by the Air Force. Some of the affected Air Force projects include money for a project to build facilities to store more than $1 billion in munitions at Andersen Air Force Base in Guam, replacing a boiler at a base in Alaska, "whose failure is 'imminent'" and could result in the evacuation of the base, a new entry-control point at the Incirlik Air Base in Turkey to protect troops, and construction in support of the European Defense Initiative, a program to boost U.S. military presence and discourage Russian aggression. (NBC News / Axios)
    • 📌 Day 959: The Pentagon will divert funding from military construction projects in 23 states, three territories, and 19 countries to pay for Trump's border wall. Among the projects being defunded to pay for Trump's border wall, include nine schools for military children on bases in the U.S. and abroad, a daycare center at Joint Base Andrews, Hurricane Maria recovery projects at military installations in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, construction projects in Europe designed to help allies deter Russia. In total, $3.6 billion will be taken from 127 projects to fund 11 border barrier projects in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. (New York Times / Washington Post / Reuters)
    • 📌 Day 957: The Trump administration will divert $3.6 billion this week from 127 military construction projects to build to build 175 miles of Trump's border wall. Trump declared a national emergency in February to draw funding from federal accounts to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said about half of the funding will come from military construction projects outside the United States and half will come from projects within the country. (Politico / Washington Post)
    3/ The Air Force sent crews to Trump's Turnberry resort in Scotland on 40 different occasions since 2015. That number is much higher than previously known, and it represents the preliminary results of an Air Force review launched last week after news reports about the Air Force sending crews to Trump's properties. The preliminary tally does not indicate how many of the stays at Trump properties occurred since Trump became president, but the Air Force significantly increased the number of stops in Scotland under Trump after signing a deal with the Prestwick Airport at the end of the Obama administration. (Politico)
    4/ Trump is not planning to name Mike Pompeo as national security adviser while also keeping him as Secretary of State. Trump confirmed that he spoke to Pompeo about the idea, but said that Pompeo "likes the idea of having somebody in there with him, and I do, too." Trump said he has 15 other candidates in mind to replace John Bolton, who Trump fired as national security adviser earlier this week. (Politico)
    5/ The U.S. is preparing to send 150 troops to patrol northeastern Syria. Trump announced a withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria last December, but the new troop deployment is part of an expanding series of military and diplomatic steps the U.S. has taken in recent weeks to defuse tensions with Turkey, which opposes U.S. support for the Syrian Kurdish fighters. The U.S. currently has around 1,000 troops in Syria. (New York Times / The Hill)
    6/ Ivanka Trump told a crowd of high-end donors that she got her moral compass from her father after being asked to name the personality traits she inherited from her parents. Ivanka said that Melania gave her an example of how to be a powerful, successful woman. (Politico)
    7/ Trump complained that energy efficient light bulbs make him "always look orange." Trump also complained that energy-efficient light bulbs are "many times more expensive than that old incandescent bulb." (CNN / Mediaite)
    • 📌 Day 958: The Trump administration relaxed requirements for energy efficient light bulbs that Congress passed in 2007. The Energy Department's filing in the Federal Register will now prevent new efficiency standards for inefficient incandescent and halogen bulbs from going into effect on Jan. 1st. (New York Times)
    poll/ 38% of Americans say climate change is a "crisis" – up from 23% five years ago. Another 38% say climate change is a "major problem." (Washington Post)

📺 Dept. of Dem Debates:

1. Trump gave a bizarre speech during the Democratic debate. Trump talked about fake tax cuts while Democrats debated how to pay for their ambitious policies. (Vox / Politico)
    2. Andrew Yang announced a $120,000 giveaway during last night's Democratic primary debate. Yang said his campaign plans to randomly select 10 families and give them a total of $120,000 over the next year as part of a pilot program for his universal basic income plan. (Politico)
    3. Biden incorrectly claimed that the Obama administration didn't separate families at the border. The Obama administration did not separate families as a matter of policy, as the Trump administration did as part of its "zero tolerance" border policy in 2018, but separations occurred on a case-by-case basis for parents being prosecuted on more serious charges than illegally crossing the border or in cases when an adult was suspected of not being a child’s parent. (CNN / The Hill)
    4. Biden tried to clarify his record on Iraq War during Democratic debate. Biden is still struggling to explain his vote for the war and when his feelings about intervention evolved. (NPR)
    5. Beto O'Rourke: "Hell, yes, we're going to take your AR-15, your AK-47." O'Rourke said that as president, he would prioritize mandatory buybacks of assault-style weapons. (NPR / CNN)
    6. Fact-checking Democratic candidates on the issues at the ABC News debate in Houston. (ABC News)
    7. Bernie Sanders said his administration will "cancel all student debt in this country." Sanders also pledged that under his administration every teacher in America will make at least $60,000 a year. (ABC7)

Waldorf:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...-calls-1499444

Democrats now completely abdicating any sort of responsibility by defense-forcing rapist monster Beer O'Kavanaugh.

Additionally, Chris Coons, one of the top Democratic Senators, went on Fox & Friends (!) to argue that it's time to go to war with Iran.

If they had the house and senate or thought they could get to 2/3, maybe it would be a matter worth discussing. But, much as the man deserves to be kicked out (and to have never gotten the job in the first place) it would be a waste of time and energy to try and oust him right now. Especially with Trump being a bigger priority.

There's a lot of shit they just can't do anything about because they have very little power right now. The blue wave turned one branch, barely, but didn't turn the other so MoscowMitch can just block anything and everything he wants. Resist and block what they can, but they can't fight every single battle when they know in advance they're going to lose every single big fight that is even slightly partisan for a while.

Right now the dems have the power to some degree to stop things from going through. They don't have enough power to start anything and push it through though.

Not that it matters, even something both the house and senate agree near unanimously on like Russia sanctions Trump just ignores anyway.
    Last edited by Robby; September 16th, 2019 at 09:01 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Does impeaching a Supreme Court Justice have the same requirements as the President? 2/3 of the senators voting?

Waldorf:

It needs 2/3 of the senators voting, yes. So I guess if a bunch of republicans were out that day and there was a Dem majority leader they could pull the same bullshit sceme the republicans did on 9/11 where they said there'd be no votes then had one.

There IS a rule on the books that "judges convicted of taking bribes ”shall forever be disqualified to hold any office of honour, trust or profit under the United States," so they could technically take him to a court, find him guilty, and get rid of him without impeachment, but that's not going to happen in the current environment either.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I remain unconvinced that a McConnell controlled Senate would even hold any impeachment vote for any Republican appointee even if the House goes through their part. Sure, they're supposed to do it just as they were supposed to hold a vote on Merrick Garland,
    Complicating things since 2009.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information