+ Reply to Thread
Page 886 of 893 FirstFirst ... 386 786 836 876 884 885 886 887 888 ... LastLast
Results 17,701 to 17,720 of 17850

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Short Answer: Yes.

I'm pretty sure this is a Julius Evola bit and to be quite honest I would not be surprised if Steve King thought highly of Julius Evola.

Apparently even Liz Cheney thought it was bad.

Of all people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...08/14/day-937/

Day 937: Clueless.

1/ The Trump administration formally proposed regulation allowing some businesses to discriminate against workers on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, and LGBTQ status by citing religious objections. The rule would apply to any organizations with federal contracts, including corporations, schools, and societies, provided they claim a "religious purpose," but that "this need not be the contractor's only purpose." (BuzzFeed News)

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...s-discriminate

2/ Planned Parenthood will withdraw from the nation's family planning program because of new Trump administration rules that block Title X funds for organizations that provide or refer patients for abortion. Federal funding for abortion is already prohibited in most cases. The new rules, however, target any group involved in providing or counseling patients about abortions, blocking them from receiving Title X funding to pay for other services, such as contraception and health screenings. Planned Parenthood asked for a stay against the new rules. (NPR)

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/14/75106...urt-intervenes

A Congressional Republican defended banning all abortion with no exceptions for rape or incest. Steve King also argued that if it were not for rape or incest, there wouldn't "be any population of the world left." [Editor's note: Go fuck yourself Steve King.] (Des Moines Register / New York Times / Washington Post / Axios)

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...on/2007230001/
    3/ Trump claimed without evidence that being president will personally cost him $5 billion dollars due to the lawyers defending him in various lawsuits. (NBC News)

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...e-3-5-n1042016

The Secret Service stayed at a Trump hotel in Vancouver while protecting Trump Jr. on a hunting trip to Canada in August 2017. They spent $5,700. The Secret Service also spent $20,000 at the same hotel in February 2017 when Trump Jr., Eric Trump and Tiffany Trump attended the hotel's grand opening. Congress hasn't launched a formal investigation into federal spending at Trump properties, but the House Oversight Committee has focused on the emoluments clause of the Constitution, which forbids presidents from accepting gifts from foreign officials. (Politico)

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...hotel-1459051l
    4/ The Trump administration will shield funding for Ivanka Trump and Pence's programs as the White House looks to cancel billions of dollars in unspent funding already approved by Congress. The White House is expected to propose returning billions of dollars of unspent foreign aid funds to the Treasury in a process known as rescission. The Office of Management and Budget, however, has already ruled out canceling funds for Ivanka's Women's Global Development and Prosperity Initiative, Pence's programs for Christians, Yazidis and other religious minorities in the Middle East, and some global health programs. Republicans and Democrats say the review undermines Congress's authority to appropriate funds. (Washington Post)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...c01_story.html

5/ The Dow posted its largest decline of the year. The Dow dropped 800 points, or about 3.05%, while the S&P 500 fell 85.72 points, or 2.93%. For the first time since the the Great Recession, the yields on 2-year U.S. bonds eclipsed those of 10-year bonds. The yield curve inversion is considered one of the most reliable leading indicators of a recession in the U.S. It has preceded every economic decline in the past 60 years with a recession occurring, on average, 22 months following an inversion. (Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal / CNBC / New York Times / Washington Post / NPR)

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/14/75112...gnal-recession

Recession watch: What is an "inverted yield curve" and why does it matter? (Washington Post)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...oes-it-matter/
    6/ Trump, meanwhile, called Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell "clueless" and blamed him for the "CRAZY INVERTED YIELD CURVE!" Trump, deflecting criticism that his trade war with China is hurting the economic outlook, claimed that "China is not our problem" and that "we are winning, big time." Yesterday, Trump delayed imposing tariffs on some Chinese imports until December "just in case" there would be a negative impact on shoppers during the holidays. (CNBC / Bloomberg)

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/14/trum...eld-curve.html

A recession next year could hurt Trump's attempt to win a second term and raises the potential for the 2020 election to look more like 2008 when a cratering economy dominated the political debate. (Politico)

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...n-risk-1661317

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

I have a bad feeling about this.

If a democratic gets elected, I feel like that could prove devastating in the long run if they have to deal with a massive economic recession.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post

If a democratic gets elected, I feel like that could prove devastating in the long run if they have to deal with a massive economic recession.
    The country is fucked either way. I genuinely don't see anybody being able to heal the divide between the left and right now. It's almost like there're two distinct nations occupying the same geographical space.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

So, uhm... Epstein's autopsy found multiple broken bones in his neck. Which is consistent with strangulation, but exceedingly rare in hangings. The coroner is unwilling to give a verdict at this time.

The was nothing to hang himself *from* except his bed.

And he'd talked to his lawyer a few hours before and was apparently in high spirits.

And the guards all falsified their records.

And the guards didn't check on him for hours.

And their was shrieking heard coming from his cell.

I'm not a conspiracy nut but... dude was murdered.

Exactly like Obama did?

Which he fixed and got back on track?

We shouldn't be having recessions every ten years with our deficits exploded by trillions but the country keeps flipping back to letting Republicans wreck the economy then leaving Dems to fix it. If the bible belt would stop voting against their interests and we had a dem lead for a few terms straight we'd actually make some progress. We were in a surplus after Clinton!
    Last edited by Robby; August 15th, 2019 at 02:09 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

That requires the economy to stay good for another fifteen months and I have serious doubts that's going to happen at this rate. Not just because we're already seeing a bunch of businesses announcing major layoffs but because the government won't be doing the sort of things it normally would be to stall off that kind of economic slump. Trump has filled too many positions with incompetent cronies and people who genuinely believe that government can't successfully do things that it has, in fact, successfully been doing for decades. Nor does it help that most of the things that the government needs to be doing are things that Trump believes will make him look weak to his base.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Of course, there's also the problem for Trump where people don't really connect him with the successful economy but pretty much view it as being in spite of him. Sure, Republicans will blame a Democratic President for any economic downturn, but they blame Obama for one that started under Bush. I don't think that'll carry over to the general population like people fear.
    Complicating things since 2009.

That requires the economy to stay good for another fifteen months and I have serious doubts that's going to happen at this rate. Not just because we're already seeing a bunch of businesses announcing major layoffs but because the government won't be doing the sort of things it normally would be to stall off that kind of economic slump. Trump has filled too many positions with incompetent cronies and people who genuinely believe that government can't successfully do things that it has, in fact, successfully been doing for decades. Nor does it help that most of the things that the government needs to be doing are things that Trump believes will make him look weak to his base.

Of course, there's also the problem for Trump where people don't really connect him with the successful economy but pretty much view it as being in spite of him. Sure, Republicans will blame a Democratic President for any economic downturn, but they blame Obama for one that started under Bush. I don't think that'll carry over to the general population like people fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    So, uhm... Epstein's autopsy found multiple broken bones in his neck. Which is consistent with strangulation, but exceedingly rare in hangings. The coroner is unwilling to give a verdict at this time.

The was nothing to hang himself *from* except his bed.

And he'd talked to his lawyer a few hours before and was apparently in high spirits.

And the guards all falsified their records.

And the guards didn't check on him for hours.

And their was shrieking heard coming from his cell.

I'm not a conspiracy nut but... dude was murdered.

Exactly like Obama did?

Which he fixed and got back on track?

We shouldn't be having recessions every ten years with our deficits exploded by trillions but the country keeps flipping back to letting Republicans wreck the economy then leaving Dems to fix it. If the bible belt would stop voting against their interests and we had a dem lead for a few terms straight we'd actually make some progress. We were in a surplus after Clinton!

Just to be clear, I meant in terms of the election after.

In Australia at least, parties that are unfortunate enough to be associated with economic pitfalls don't tend to be reelected easily at least. In saying this, don't think this Its necessarily completely the case for somewhere like America, but it could definitely be a ploy used in the next 2 elections.

Just to be clear, I meant in terms of the election after.

In Australia at least, parties that are unfortunate enough to be associated with economic pitfalls don't tend to be reelected easily at least. In saying this, don't think this Its necessarily completely the case for somewhere like America, but it could definitely be a ploy used in the next 2 elections.
    It’s the same for America where the GOP won the biggest midterm victory ever only 2 years after their Bush-related drubbing.

lol it's like people have never read about how people act before suicide.

He got himself off suicide watch, the guards were not only understaffed (which is a thing across all prisons in America) but were severely inept, they fell asleep and then falsified the records to make it seem like they weren't literally sleeping on the job, and MCC as it turns out is a ramshackle shithole even by the standards of American prisons. People really want there to be some big dark conspiracy when reality isn't nearly that well-plotted. Coward hung himself to get out of a lifetime of punishment and living to see the exposure of all the depravity he let happen and took part in.

Hickenlooper dropped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    One down, 4,728 kind of generic white guys to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    For more information: AP source: John Hickenlooper ending his 2020 White House bid

https://apnews.com/a1f7a863f9b34afcb3d150e9bce05e7d

It's expected he's going to aim for a Senate seat in Colorado instead.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    For more information: AP source: John Hickenlooper ending his 2020 White House bid

https://apnews.com/a1f7a863f9b34afcb3d150e9bce05e7d

It's expected he's going to aim for a Senate seat in Colorado instead.
    Neat, a possible Senate seat is up for grabs. Maybe now Hickenlooper will finally do something for once in his miserable life, whoever he is. I assume Colorado knows.

Also, among other things it seems like Trump is trying to blame the coming recession on the media. That's a unique take, though I assume it won't be the first thing he blames.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoment View Post
    Neat, a possible Senate seat is up for grabs. Maybe now Hickenlooper will finally do something for once in his miserable life, whoever he is. I assume Colorado knows.

Also, among other things it seems like Trump is trying to blame the coming recession on the media. That's a unique take, though I assume it won't be the first thing he blames.
    I'm not very informed myself, but from what I've heard Hickenlooper is very popular in Colorado and his competition there is Cory Gardener, who, according to 538, already had a rough road for reelection even without a popular opponent.

Waldorf:

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...08/15/day-938/

Day 938: Fantastic.

1/ The House Judiciary Committee subpoenaed former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski to testify publicly about potential obstruction of justice by Trump. The committee also issued a subpoena to former White House deputy chief of staff for policy Rick Dearborn. House Judiciary chair Jerrold Nadler said the two former Trump aides will testify publicly on Sept. 17th and expects their testimony "will help the Committee determine whether to recommend articles of impeachment against the President or other Article 1 remedies." The Mueller report said Trump asked Lewandowski to convince then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions to un-recuse himself from the investigation into Russian election interference, and publicly say Trump had not done anything wrong. (Politico / NBC News / New York Times / Axios)
    2/ Trump thinks Lewandowski would be a "fantastic" senator if he ran in New Hampshire. Lewandowski has been reportedly considering a Senate run and is expected to make an appearance at a Trump rally in the state on Thursday. The House Judiciary Committee subpoena came hours after Trump told a local radio station that Lewandowski would make a "great senator," who would be "hard to beat" if he ran against Senator Jeanne Shaheen, a Democrat. (New York Times / Washington Post / NBC News / Politico)
    3/ White House officials want to invoke executive privilege to limit or block Lewandowski's testimony despite Lewandowski never working in the administration. The White House previously invoked executive privilege to block Don McGahn, Hope Hicks, and Annie Donaldson – who all held titles in the West Wing – from complying with similar congressional subpoenas. Lewandowski, however, has only informally advised Trump since his work on the 2016 campaign ended. (CNN)
    4/ A federal judge rejected the House Judiciary Committee's attempt to link Robert Mueller's grand jury evidence with compelling Don McGahn to testify. The committee contends that the two lawsuits will expedite its decision whether to recommend articles of impeachment against Trump. House General Counsel Douglas Letter argued that the two cases should be paired in front of the judge, because both seek evidence for a potential impeachment and are based on the same set of facts. D.C. federal District Court Chief Judge Beryl Howell ruled that connections between the two suits are "too superficial." (Politico)
    5/ Trump retweeted a criminologist who argued that there is no evidence that the United States is experiencing an "epidemic" of mass shootings. At least four people have been killed in a mass shooting, on average, every 47 days since June 17, 2015. (Washington Post)
    6/ Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blocked Reps. Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib from visiting Israel after Trump lobbied Israeli leaders to block them from entering the country. Trump tweeted that allowing Omar and Tlaib to enter Israel "would show great weakness," because they're "a disgrace." Omar and Tlaib have been critical of Israel and outspoken about their support for Palestinians and the boycott-Israel movement. Under Israeli law, supporters of the movement can be denied entry. (NBC News / Washington Post / New York Times / Haaretz / Politico / BBC)

Notables.
    1. The Trump administration wants to redirect money from Homeland Security accounts to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Last year, the Trump administration redirected $200 million from various Homeland Security accounts – including the Coast Guard and TSA –into ICE. Nearly $10 million was also diverted from FEMA at the start of hurricane season. Congressional appropriators are reviewing the request. (Politico)
    2. A correctional officer drove a truck into ICE protesters outside a private prison. Some were treated at a hospital, though none were severely injured. The officer was wearing a badge and a uniform and police officers at the protest did not intervene. The driver eventually walked into the prison after guards pepper-sprayed the protesters. (Washington Post)
    3. Trump administration asked Congress to reauthorize a law that lets the National Security Agency gain access to the logs of Americans' phone and text records. While the program is set to expire in December, the Trump administration is pushing to make gaining access to the logs of Americans' domestic communications permanently within the legal authority of the NSA. The program was indefinitely shut down after technical issues repeatedly caused the NSA to collect more records than it had legal authority to gather. (New York Times)
    4. In 2017, Fox Business host David Asman advised then-Treasury Department spokesman Tony Sayegh about how the administration should pursue tax cuts. Four days later, Asman emailed Sayegh to tell him that a significant portion of a Fox Business show would focus on the administration's tax policies. "You'll like it," Asman said. "Awesome David," Sayegh wrote back. "You're the man." Sayegh is a former Fox News contributor. (Hollywood Reporter)
    5. Trump floated the idea of buying Greenland to aides in meetings, at dinners, and in passing conversations. Trump has reportedly asked advisers whether the U.S. could acquire Greenland, which is a self-ruling part of the Kingdom of Denmark. (Wall Street Journal)

Also:

Fox News poll shows Trump losing to Biden, Warren, Sanders and Harris

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/457645-fox-news-poll-shows-trump-losing-to-biden-warren-sanders-and-harris

A Fox News poll released Thursday showed President Trump losing head-to-head matchups against four of the top Democratic presidential primary contenders.

The poll found Trump with 39 percent support among registered voters in head-to-head matchups against Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.). The poll found Sanders beating Trump with 48 percent, Warren winning over Trump with 45 percent and Harris winning with 46 percent support.

Former Vice President Joe Biden, meanwhile, beat Trump in the theoretical matchup with 50 percent support among those surveyed, compared to Trump's 38 percent.

Among Democratic primary contenders, Warren saw the largest gain in support in the poll — an 8 percent jump from last month's survey. Warren, according to the poll, took second place behind Biden with the support of 20 percent of Democratic primary voters.

Sanders dropped to third, now at 10 percent in the poll and the only other candidate aside from Warren and Biden scoring double digit support among voters.

Biden dropped slightly in the poll from a previous Fox News poll in July, from 33 percent to 31 percent, but remains the clear front-runner in the race according to the survey.

The Fox News poll was taken between Aug. 11-13 and contacted 1,013 registered voters on landlines and cellphones. The margin of error is plus or minus 3 percent for all registered voters, and 4.5 percent for Democratic primary voters.

Waldorf:

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/08/16/day-939/

Day 939: Hate and war

1/ The impact of Trump's 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which Trump called "the biggest reform of all time" to the tax code, has not generated an increase in overall economic growth, business investment, or worker pay. Half of corporate chief financial officers expect the economy to shrink by the second quarter of 2020 with two-thirds expecting a recession by the end of next year. Despite an uptick in the second quarter of 2018, growth declined the following two quarters to end up at 2.9% for the year falling short of the promised 3% growth. (CNBC)
    2/ Trump claimed that Americans "whether you love me or hate me" have "no choice" but to vote for him in 2020, because the stock market will collapse otherwise. Trump also baselessly accused the media of "doing everything they can to crash the economy because they think that will be bad for me and my re-election." Trump, meanwhile, recently attacked the Federal Reserve, forced Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to label China a "currency manipulator," and delayed tariffs on Chinese imports over concerns they could depress holiday sales. (New York Times / Washington Post)
    3/ Trump body shamed one of his supporters at a campaign rally, saying "That guy has got a serious weight problem. Go home, get some exercise!" Frank Dawson, who was wearing a "Trump 2020" shirt, was standing near a group of protesters holding two banners. Trump later called from Air Force One, and left a voice mail message for Dawson, but did not apologize for the insult. (Washington Post / New York Times / Daily Beast)
    4/ The House Republican strategy on gun violence is to describe mass shootings as "violence from the left" while downplaying white nationalism, according to a talking points memo recently circulated. According to the Anti-Defamation League, 73% of extremist-related murders are committed by right-wing fanatics and white supremacists. No extremist-related murder in the United States last year was carried out by "the left." (Tampa Bay Times
    5/ The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rolled back a nationwide injunction that blocked the Trump administration from denying most asylum claims at the U.S.-Mexico border. The decision will now effectively block most Central Americans who cross into the U.S. legally or illegally in New Mexico or Texas from seeking asylum while allowing those who cross the border into California or Arizona to claim asylum. (ABC News / Axios)
    6/ Trump and his national security advisers are considering a deal with the Taliban for a withdrawal of most U.S. forces from Afghanistan. In exchange, the Taliban would agree to renounce al-Qaeda and to prevent it from activities such as fundraising, recruiting, training and operational planning in areas under Taliban control. An initial withdrawal would include roughly 5,000 of the 14,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan and end America's longest military engagement abroad. (Washington Post / Wall Street Journal)
    7/ Greenland to Trump: "We're not for sale." (Reuters)

Side note, am I the only one who saw that title and immediately thought of Starbomb's Super Smash Bros. song?

Waldorf:

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    2/ Trump claimed that Americans – "whether you love me or hate me" – have "no choice" but to vote for him in 2020, because the stock market will collapse otherwise.
    Is that a threat with extra steps or what? Looks like one of those Red Skull moments.

I

It's almost as if he's unaware of the fact that his policies have turned a percentage of his base against him (to say nothing of causing stock market issues) and if the market continues tumbling it'll turn even more of his base against him.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information