Closed Thread
Page 599 of 1000 FirstFirst ... 99 499 549 589 597 598 599 600 601 609 649 699 ... LastLast
Results 11,961 to 11,980 of 19996

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Different division of the mega company (Fox News is part of the NewsCorp half, The Simpsons is part of the 20th Century Fox half).
    Also, they have an agreement where The Simpsons can write basically whatever they want.

"Russians Welcome"

It's the little details in The Simpsons that I always find the funniest.
    The things you see going on in the background, or the things you read on signs and notices.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Is futurama still on in any shape or form? I'd like to see their take on Trump, it was always my favourite of the Matt Groening shows (even moreso than the Simpsons)

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Is futurama still on in any shape or form? I'd like to see their take on Trump, it was always my favourite of the Matt Groening shows (even moreso than the Simpsons)
    No, Futurama ended a while back (again). Probably permanently this time. WHich is fine, it was starting to wear thin near the end of it's run.

Nope. Aside from a crossover episode with The Simpsons, Futarama hasn't been on the air since 2013. Apparently though, there was an audio-only "episode" on the Nerdist podcast earlier this year.

Discovered Stowaway Sparsebeard's Avatar

Well, there is always that...

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparsebeard View Post
    Well, there is always that...

Ahahahah, thanks for this, beautiful, beautiful I say!! And his hair fits Trump so wonderfully too! Everything I wanted and more is in that videoclip, ahahaha, brilliant!

King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar

Republicans representatives are making the media rounds in an attempt to sell their tax bill to the public. My personal favorite is the sales pitch made by Peter Roskam. According to him, if you have a problem with the bill that's okay because you already have low expectations, which means the bill will pleasantly surprise you. A compelling argument. Honorable mention to Fox News discussing the tax bill with Anthony Scaramucci.

Roy Moore is now fundraising for a voter fraud investigation.

“I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion.” — Jun Fukuda

Tax bill passed the House 227-203. Journalists praising Ryan for being such a prodigy.

Some important points about the tax bill to keep in mind.

America’s health care system will also take a devastating blow thanks to the bill. The individual mandate, a provision of the Affordable Care Act that required individuals be covered by heath insurance or face a tax, is repealed in the bill. The Congressional Budget Office estimates this will result in 13 million more uninsured Americans. Cuts to Medicare and Social Security be soon on the horizon as well.

Middle-class Americans, who Trump and his administration have repeatedly stated will stand to benefit the most from the GOP tax plan, will likely see a tax hike or little-to-no difference in their taxes.
    Just in time for Christmas. How festive.

“I thought of Godzilla as the embodiment of violence and hatred for mankind, because he was created by atomic energy. He's like a symbol of humanity's complicity in their own destruction. He doesn't have an emotion. He is an emotion.” — Jun Fukuda

The House will have to re-vote on the bill tomorrow because it failed Byrd provisions. They're now fixing it so they can still ram it through the Senate tonight.

The GOP is as bad at governing as the president.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Democrats end Republican majority in the Virginia House through one single vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Meanwhile in the "lol fuck the green party" plotline, The Senate's Russia investigation is now looking into Jill Stein's campaign.

But clearly it is the Democrats who are greater evil and most corrupt.
    hahaha, a delightful side mint to our main course

CHIP won't be renewed this year, which means 9 million kids will lose their health care, but at least corporations and millionares are cashing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    CHIP won't be renewed this year, which means 9 million kids will lose their health care, but at least corporations and millionares are cashing in.
    What do kids need health insurance for? They're young and healthy and never get sick.........

Well, the tax bill has cleared 99% of the hurdles. It's now headed to Trump' s desk which he will definitely sign
    Everything's Eventual...

Maybe he will walk out again in the middle of the signing ceremony.

(#HealthiestPresidentEver)

The GOP income shift bill will take effect at the start of the year; which will be fun since it means that the Treasury Department and IRS will have just about two weeks to write and implements new regulations to make it work. Which isn't taking into account any additional legislative fixes that will have to be made between now and then since it's such an awfully written bill in the first place or the possibility of a government shutdown since the GOP has no idea what they're doing.
    Complicating things since 2009.

So, what will it take for the democrats to fix this? Obviously a president that won't veto whatever they do, so its in play till at least 2020.

But beyond that, can they chince things through with the same narrow 51 margin the republicans are abusing now, or will the bullshit loophole currently being used expire so that they need actual 60% majorities and thus some cooperation, and negotiating while being held hostage?

(Even the most optimistic possible results of them flipping and keeping every single contestable seat won't get them to 60% in either chamber in 2018, but they should slip over the 50% mark handily in the senate at least, so they'll at least have blocking power then... but the bad has already been forced through.)

Because the really bad effects of this coup against the middle class won't hit until the next presidential term and so naturally whoever's in office then will be the one getting blamed.
    Last edited by Robby; December 20th, 2017 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    So, what will it take for the democrats to fix this? Obviously a president that won't veto whatever they do, so its in play till at least 2020.

But beyond that, can they chince things through with the same narrow 51 margin the republicans are abusing now, or will the bullshit loophole currently being used expire so that they need actual 60% majorities and thus some cooperation, and negotiating while being held hostage?

(Even the most optimistic possible results of them flipping and keeping every single contestable seat won't get them to 60% in either chamber in 2018, but they should slip over the 50% mark handily in the senate at least, so they'll at least have blocking power then... but the bad has already been forced through.)

Because the really bad effects of this coup against the middle class won't hit until the next presidential term and so naturally whoever's in office then will be the one getting blamed.
    That makes me wonder too. The defenders say that the massive tax cut on the middle class in 2027 will ONLY happen if this tax bill isn't extended.... so a Democratic president at that time will be forced between continuing a hugely destabilizing tax cut for the rich... or do a huge tax hike for the rest to fund the previous tax cut. Either decision will be extremely unpopular and, oh yeah, there's a presidential election in 2028.

"Temporary tax cut" shenanigans is what forced Obama to extend the Bush tax cuts, but at least those were popular.

The General Assembly of the United Nations will have a vote tomorrow concerning Trump recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Trump’s decision earlier this month to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and begin the process of moving the U.S. Embassy there from Tel Aviv has proved controversial, sparking violence and protests in the Middle East, as well as condemnation and criticism from U.S. allies and partners. Jerusalem’s status remains a contested point in peace negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians, with each side seeking to claim the city as its capital in any two-state solution.

In making his announcement, the president pointedly did not rule out the possibility of a divided Jerusalem serving as the capital for both Israel and Palestine in a two-state solution, nor did he take a position on any other contested boundaries or issues. Trump’s announcement also did not shift the U.S. position on control of Muslim and Jewish holy sites in Jerusalem.
    Trump made a big show of telling the United Nations he won't pay them if they vote against the U.S.

“For all of these nations that take our money and then they vote against us at the Security Council or they vote against us, potentially, at the Assembly, they take hundreds of millions of dollars and even billions of dollars and then they vote against us,” Trump said at a Cabinet meeting on Wednesday.

“Well, we’re watching those votes,” he continued. “Let them vote against us. We’ll save a lot. We don’t care. But this isn’t like it used to be where they could vote against you and then you pay them hundreds of millions of dollars and nobody knows what they’re doing.”
    Fearless Leader also had U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley write a letter to the U.N. Telling them how much he doesn't like people who vote against him.

Included in Trump’s warning was praise for the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, who wrote in a letter to other member states that Trump and the U.S. government would take those votes “personally.”

“As you know, the General Assembly is considering a resolution about President Trump’s recent decision on Jerusalem,” Haley wrote in letter to member states that was provided to POLITICO by a U.N. source. “As you consider your vote, I want you to know that the President and U.S. take this vote personally. The President will be watching this vote carefully and has requested I report back on those countries who voted against us. We will take note of each and every vote on this issue.”

Closed Thread

Thread Information