+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us Part II: Battle Tendency

Default Re: The PlayStation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    probably a good indicator of how I've changed in gaming is how interested I was in TLoU Pt I and how absolutely little I care about TLoU Pt II.
    I got the first game via a bundle for the PS4 it was aight but nothing too special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

From what I've heard, it sounds very pretentious.

Just casually looking through the PSN Store and found this gem of a description for Double Dragons 2

DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge' is an action game that was released by Technos Japan in 1989.
    In order to avenge lover, Billy and Jimmy will use their signature move '双截拳(So-Setsu-Ken)' to challenge the armed groups of the mystery. In this game, users can use a variety of skills than previous work 'DOUBLE DRAGON', and enjoy scuffles that are power up.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Yeah LoU2 is definitely gonna be Last Jedi of video games.

I mean Devil May Cry 2, Yoshi's Island DS, & Chrono Cross already exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I mean Devil May Cry 2, Yoshi's Island DS, & Chrono Cross already exist.
    Don't think those games were critically acclaimed by the media and hated by normal people. Hell you even have the same defense for both LoU2 and Last Jedi.

Biggest problem for Tlou2 is how little gameplay there is, in favor of meandering for interactions on commenting objects/places with no (or very little of) plot, and scavenging resources that will find little use with the few enemies scattered around. Said interactions have another problem: the voice acting/directing in this game seems either poor or misguided. Most of the time spent with Ellie and Dina for example, you cant distinguish who is saying what, as their voices are incredibly similar in tone, delivery and vocal timbre. Storywise has the same problem of the gameplay for how little plot there actually is, filled with many scenes that can be argued serve as characterization, but ultimately serve very little purpose. It would be if like in Ace Attorney the bulk of the story was in examining objects, while the trials and defining moments were incredibly brief and not that well thought out. Certain events in Tlou2 just manage to happen cause the devs want to skip to the "big" moments with little to no buildup or convincing screen writing, like characters that happen to coincidentally meet each other.

I mean, the slow-to-the-point-of-constipation type character interactions where characters throw dialogues, that are supposed to build the character but ultimately come across as fluff, at each other to spread the paper-thin story have been a ND thing for some time now.

TLOU, also, suffered from the plot skipping many moments that would've given characters and their actions or how they deal with certain events more depth, in favor of passing the time to tell the story rather than convey any meaningful character.

It's just more obvious in Part 2 because the length is longer.

Though I gotta say that I love the conversations between Ellie and Dina. Not because they are interesting or convey anything meaningful but because of how forced and irrelevant they are. Like I'm going inside a building to explore it and Dina starts talking about her sister and I'm just sitting there laughing at how poor the attempt to build her character really is. Like there is absolutely nothing to her character that has any ouch of depth or characterization other than getting Ellie laid and fluff dialogues.

I recently finished the Vinland anime and seeing how that series tackles the concept of revenge and violence compare to TLOU2 is just interesting. It's like one is written by someone who has put thought and care into the themes while the other one is written by a fifth-grader who thinks that Gantz is brilliant because blood, gore and general nihilistic views. It's dark, bloody, edgy so therefore it must be saying something about something.
    Last edited by HeartOfDarkness; June 20th, 2020 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Chaos View Post
    Don't think those games were critically acclaimed by the media and hated by normal people. Hell you even have the same defense for both LoU2 and Last Jedi.
    But they were highly disliked by fans coming off preceding titles that almost everyone enjoyed just like Last Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    But they were highly disliked by fans coming off preceding titles that almost everyone enjoyed just like Last Jedi.
    I always thought people disliking Crono Cross was a small portion of the fandom am I wrong? I know about DMC 2 even as a kid I hated and turned me of the franchise for years. Don't anything about the Yoshi games never played any of them.

probably a good indicator of how I've changed in gaming is how interested I was in TLoU Pt I and how absolutely little I care about TLoU Pt II.
    To be fair, TLOU 1 got rave reviews and was hyped by everyone for months and was a pinnacle of what the tech could do.

TLOU 2 is just kind of more of the same after the first game already ended super well and needed no follow up..

The crazy part is the *critic* reviews are like universally super mega positive, solid 100's across the board, to the point they can't ALL be paid off shills, but its just... no one who isn't a professional critic seems to like it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Chaos View Post
    I always thought people disliking Crono Cross was a small portion of the fandom am I wrong? I know about DMC 2 even as a kid I hated and turned me of the franchise for years. Don't anything about the Yoshi games never played any of them.
    Chrono Cross was an okay but not great game on its own. As a *sequel* to one of the best RPGs of all time, it was complete garbage.

So depending on how you're approaching it vastly changes its inherent quality. If it'd been a standalone thing like all the FF and DQ games are, and there were another half dozen Chrono games following it, it might have been mediocre but okay. But it was an actual canonical the story is moving forward *sequel*, and to date still the only one, and it completely failed there. Gameplay, story, characters, design, it just doesn't stack up on any level.

Your feelings on it will likely vary depending on if you were old enough to play Chrono Trigger when it was new.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    To be fair, TLOU 1 got rave reviews and was hyped by everyone for months and was a pinnacle of what the tech could do.

TLOU 2 is just kind of more of the same after the first game already ended super well and needed no follow up..

The crazy part is the *critic* reviews are like universally super mega positive, solid 100's across the board, to the point they can't ALL be paid off shills, but its just... no one who isn't a professional critic seems to like it at all?
    Its important to remember that metacritic doesn't count reviews that don't use numerical scores (like the way more tepid Kotaku and Polygon reviews) and that a ton of the disparaging user reviews arrived at a point where people couldn't resonably be expected to have beaten the game...I haven't played this thing and likely never will, but its always worth keeping in mind that many people on the internet will make it their personal mission to drag whatever numerical score can be assigned to something they personally dissaprove of as far down as humanly possible.
    But then again, while I can understand giving something a perfect score if it truly resonates with you, I've never understood the impulse to give something a score of 0 if it shows even the barest modicum of competence.

I was actually thinking about giving chrono cross another go. Forcing myself to think of all the chrono trigger references as “nothing” or “just casual names, there are ton of people with those names”, after my xenoblade bender, as apparently the monolith team worked on it.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    and that a ton of the disparaging user reviews arrived at a point where people couldn't resonably be expected to have beaten the game...
    The leaks came out over a month ago and were pretty comprehensive.

In this particular case, in a game that's all about the story and the characters, if you know the way the story goes, and what the game forces you to do for the second half, well...
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

If this forum has demonstrated anything over the years its that 1) leaks arent' equivalent to experiencing the story as told in the actual finished product and 2) people can often still carry forward their opinions based solely from leaks regardless of the full context of the product. Add people being able to stew in their dissapointment at the narrative decisions for several months prior to release, and you have a lot of people who will blast the product without ever actually experienced due to disagreement over narrative choices.

If you play the game and find that the narrative choices don't work for the intended story or theme or whatever for XYZ reasons fine, go to town with criticism, but otherwise you're basically going "I hear a dog dies in this story. I like dogs, 0/10, what a bad story"

In general, I find the phenomena of Fandom Ownership over stories to be quite toxic and worrying. Just because the story doesn't go 100% the way one wants it doesn't necessarily make it a bad story. I say that as someone who gives OP shit constantly, but at least I read the manga and try and articulate why I feel things fall short in terms of this and that.
    Last edited by Daz; June 22nd, 2020 at 06:52 AM.

Or in this case "I hear a dog dies. And then you spend ten hours being told that dog dying was awesome and then try to kill another one."

There's unappealing, and then there's "Yeah there is no way I will ever possibly be invested in or enjoy this story direction, no matter how well its done."

Sometimes, when a review indicates there will be something massively bad that you absolutely will not like, you don't actually NEED to experience it firsthand just to make absolutely sure you're going to dislike it.
    Last edited by Robby; June 22nd, 2020 at 07:09 AM.

Right, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I'm not going to play the game for the reason you've basically listed, but it might still be a well told story. The issue is that we actually play as the characters and it's an interesting problem to have. Killing a character and then going from the killer's pov isn't a new storytelling tactic, but I don't remember ever doing it in a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    There's unappealing, and then there's "Yeah there is no way I will ever possibly be invested in or enjoy this story direction, no matter how well its done."

Sometimes, when a review indicates there will be something massively bad that you absolutely will not like, you don't actually NEED to experience it firsthand just to make absolutely sure you're going to dislike it.
    not sure that gives you the right to go writing a review of the finished product, though. I don't go around reviewing Adam Sandler movies, but I can tell you from limited experience I'd hate them if I did sit through them, and I could explain in great detail why. I won't, because that sounds awful.

and tbf, I didn't care for TLoU that much, either, but I find it weird this is getting roasted when the complaints kinda seem like they could have pertained to the first one? TLoU1 didn't exactly break any new ground in the zombie genre, and the whole "maybe we, my friend, are the real monsters" thing got hammered to the point of exasperation in the first one as well. I do completely agree that they shot themselves in the foot for making a sequel when there was zero need for one.

there's a pretty strong nexus of anti-Naughty Dog backlash from both the right and left that seems to be driving the review-bombing from non-players as much as anything, and I think it's going to be pretty hard to disentangle for a while.

Feels like this is going to be another TLJ situation for me, where I really dislike a critically-acclaimed product--I'm still planning on looking at it way down the road--but end up with a lot of strange bedfellows for it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

small added note: really feels like Naughty Dog has been trying to come up with some sort of counter to Uncharted 1's "happy-go-lucky treasure hunter murders hundreds of people" ever since it came out, when the best solution to that would be, of course, Jak 4

Spoiler free video that goes over why the second one fails where the first one didn't from a reviewer I completely trust.

And his review of the first one, though obviously the combined watch time is pretty lengthy.

a

small added note: really feels like Naughty Dog has been trying to come up with some sort of counter to Uncharted 1's "happy-go-lucky treasure hunter murders hundreds of people" ever since it came out, when the best solution to that would be, of course, Jak 4
    I think you mean “potential” solution,
    has to be a specific reason why Lost Frontier was the last Jak game and not simply because Naughty Dog was busy. Plus aren’t the Jak games essentially the same as Uncharted except Jak isn’t happy go lucky like Nathan?
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; June 22nd, 2020 at 09:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information