+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The "Reasons Life Is Worth Living" Thread.

Default The "Reasons Life Is Worth Living" Thread.

A lot of people are upset about the election results, and I've had a few people tell me that they contemplated suicide.

Your life has meaning and things can get better, even when people you love and respect tell you that the world is ending.

Default Re: The "Reasons Life Is Worth Living" Thread.

You forgot the be fucking nice about it part

I know shit is fucked up but is anyone here seriously considering suicide?

Drinking to excess I'd understand but that's a bit much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

If even one person is, a message encouraging them not to do it could help save a life.

Honestly, if someone is seriously considering ending their life over an election, I think that's a sign for more help than just a few gentle words. That's really extreme.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

To quote an awesome fishman:

"Don't just count your losses! What's gone is gone! But think about it! What do you still have that you hold dear to you?!"

(I wish I could find a clip of that scene from the anime, but whatever)
    Last edited by The Tenth Strawhat; November 10th, 2016 at 05:13 AM.
    The face of a Straw Hat.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    You forgot the be fucking nice about it part
    +1. Today is not a good day.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Who said life is worth living ?
    Last edited by firelord111; November 9th, 2016 at 03:00 AM.
    Spoiler:

By fire be purged

Because I need this right now, and not just because of the election results. The election is just an additional punch to the gut. Anyway.

-- To prove people who doubted you wrong
    -- There's a lot of awesome media to check out, the trick is you have to basically force-feed it to yourself, if you're depressed you likely won't embrace new things.
    -- To see you get back to or above your own peak of personal happiness. My peak of personal happiness was only a year ago. Constant praise from my peers, great pay, tons of people to go to bars with, lived all on my own and loved it, was highly enthusiastic most days. That's all changed now. But I just take it day by day, and am far more interested in seeing my own personal progress than worrying about the bad that could happen from this.
    -- You just take it day by day. One day is a lot easier to handle than a week or a month. Still look out for what's ahead, but firmly plant yourself in the present. Or else you'll spend more time daydreaming than handling your business/enjoying yourself.
    -- Waking up early helps tremendously if you can do it regularly. Your phone is not a real alarm, buy one, hell two, good alarms. They're more than worth the small investment. Waking up early alleviates pressure and gives you the time to tackle the day. You can go for a morning walk, which has a hard time not being soothing.
    -- Eat damnit. A big reason you could be depressed is being malnourished. Being malnourished affects just about every part of you and saps your energy, and from my non-empirical evidence, causes you to sleep more.
    -- Another thing I enjoy which I think you could learn to enjoy (if you don't) is always seeking out and tackling the next challenge. This is a huge reason I hang on. The feeling of raising your limits in anything -- video games, jogging, what you're mentally able to handle at your job -- is just one of the most purely satisfying feelings in the world.
    -- Life will not be kind to you if you passively let things happen to you. If you want to be happy, you've got to take action. You've got to swallow that pill that neglecting yourself, while it can be made to feel comfy through escapism, will eventually catch up to you, hard.

Life is worth living, I've trudged through a lot of crap. In a first-world sense, anyway. Good luck, use whatever means you need to to take care of yourself. I use an Excel doc.

I was going to make a thread like this myself

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I know shit is fucked up but is anyone here seriously considering suicide?

Drinking to excess I'd understand but that's a bit much.
    well i heard people killing themselfs for an exam
    Spoiler:

By fire be purged

Might be worth it to post this:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

1-800-273-8255

http://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
    Hidden:

If ahmadinejad becomes president in these 4 years im gonna need to freez my self for atleast 10 years
    Spoiler:

By fire be purged

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

As others are telling you how it's not that bad, it's also not a terrible thing to confirm that yes. Yes, things can get shitty. Maybe things ARE shitty right now. Plzseetheusa. Sometimes people telling you that things are sunshine and daisies when it doesn't feel like it doesn't help.

No one should ever doubt how severely you feel about something.

But take that extra deep breath, count to ten in and then count to ten out.

Most suicides are done impulsively. Call that hotline. Take a walk.

Play Civ V, and try to bomb America only for you to befriend Germany, the Ottomans, and Persia, and then you feel weird about it and get pissed at England instead. (This got stupid real fast.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by dirt monkey AL View Post
    Play Civ V, and try to bomb America only for you to befriend Germany, the Ottomans, and Persia, and then you feel weird about it and get pissed at England instead. (This got stupid real fast.)
    Lol .
    Spoiler:

By fire be purged

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

She wouldn't accept my trade deals, damn it!

Also: http://www.cracked.com/personal-expe...e-hotline.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Something tells me I will feel in home in this thread #darkhumor. On a serious note, if you are truly contemplating suicide, do not hesitate and call the suicide prevention center of your country, even if you think they cannot understand you, your pains and everything you had or are passing in your life right now, call them, because they WILL aide you.

Sometimes, you need to talk to a total stranger to belive that your life is worth living.

Even if you think that your life is going to be depressed and sad forever, remember that nothing is forever, not even sadness and depression.
    Last edited by C_uggs; November 9th, 2016 at 07:44 PM.
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

LittleKuriboh, creator of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, just posted this. It can obviously be interpreted to subtly reference the disappointment towards the election results, and the timing is literally perfect enough for this tone a factor. But the actual development of this video was made due to LittleKuriboh and his various friends suffering depression and wanting to inspire others who are or ever feel they are in similar circumstances in despair and self-loathing.

Always stay true to yourself. Character is not defined in how many times you fall, but how you get up. Those moments are what truly inspire those around you and yourself to keep pushing forward, to know there's more progress to be made and adventures to enjoy. And like Dirt Monkey said, it's not that you're just going through a phase or overreacting. Life can sometimes literally be that bad, and your feelings should never be disregarded in such significant periods. But the bad always exists on the other side of the coin as the good. It's how they naturally define each other, after all. And when you feel that you've hit an all-time low, you can only rise. You can never completely control the emotions that you feel, and but you always have full control over how you utilize those emotions to propel yourself and influence others. That's our one superpower as such a flawed species. And it's where true strength and union comes from, no matter how different or similar each person may be. That is how we can save lives.

Pain is inevitable. But suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenth Strawhat View Post
    To quote an awesome fishman:

"Don't just count your losses! What gone is gone! But think about it! What do you still have that you hold dear to you?!"

(I wish I could find a clip of that scene from the anime, but whatever)
    This is the best clip I could find. But that is an excellent inspirational reference. Life is never just a scoreboard.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Beer and Buffalo wings. Al pastor tacos. Lifting. Good people.

Know that no matter how bad things are, there is something that comes next, and there is something positive on the horizon, even if it means wading through a whole ton of shit. If you can still breathe, if your heart is still beating, you can get through this.

But it is absolutely okay to feel sad, to cry, to be angry. None of these emotions are wrong, it doesn't mean you're weak, it means you're human.

I've never personally contemplated suicide but over the past 18 months, both my parents passed away and I had a coworker commit suicide, so I have dealt with some rough times and just that thought of wanting to see what comes next has helped me push through pain personally.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information