+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk Religion And Be F*king Nice About It

Default Talk Religion And Be F*king Nice About It

Religion keeps coming up as a topic in the politics/news threads, so I'm starting a new thread for religious discussion.

Basic rules:
    1.) Don't hate on/slur an entire religious group.
    2.) Be polite and respectful.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; October 23rd, 2016 at 06:13 PM.

Default Re: Discussion of/questions about religion thread

This can't possibly end badly.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The religious discussion in other threads was basically the wild west, so a more carefully regulated (and positive) discussion couldn't hurt.

It worked well enough for the LGBT thread.

I'm sure it will fare much better than the previous religion threads that were all closed.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Lump of Dirt

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I'm sure it will fare much better than the previous religion threads that were all closed.
    I thought there was just one other one than this one? (Like 2007 or something?) -curious about how many threads there were before-

Anyways, regarding religion, I considered myself as a Pagan/Witch. I chose this religion because I like the idea of celebrating the different seasons of the year, and the fact that it is nature-based. Though I have been lazy in actually practicing it >.<

I also see religion as more of a "fanclub", and I don't think children should be taught religion, but they should choose themselves on what they want to follow when they get older.

Besides that, I do like learning more about other people's religions as well. The only religion, I seem to have an issue with subconsciously is Christianity. I think it is because of the fact a lot of people I knew were Christians, but they were not of the good kind. I do wish I could try to focus on the good ones, but at times it is hard for me to do so. (Also, the media did not help with this either >.<)

So are we getting a race/ethnicity thread in a couple weeks?

I was raised Christian and experimented with Atheism and Agnosticism for a while before settling on my own unique beliefs.

Currently I believe that life itself is God, effectively.
    All life continually creates and designs/redesigns itself, with one common goal: the creation/storage/interpretation of information.

In essence, learning is our core reason for living and method of survival.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; October 23rd, 2016 at 07:16 PM.

Well might as well take a dive into the pool.

When I was a lad, I did go to religion school or whatever it was (CCD?) and we did go to church on Sundays, but that ended after a few years, and I have never had a desire to go back. I wouldn't call myself an "atheist" per se, but....is there a term where you acknowledge some kind of higher power out there, but not necessarily a "god"?

Anyways it doesn't stop me from finding aspects of religion fascinating. Whatever you believe in, go for it.

EDIT: Roman-Catholic context here.

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Well might as well take a dive into the pool.

When I was a lad, I did go to religion school or whatever it was (CCD?) and we did go to church on Sundays, but that ended after a few years, and I have never had a desire to go back. I wouldn't call myself an "atheist" per se, but....is there a term where you acknowledge some kind of higher power out there, but not necessarily a "god"?
    I think that would be deist. You have belief in a god or higher power but don't subscribe to any particular religion.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    So are we getting a race/ethnicity thread in a couple weeks?
    There was a racism thread somewhere. I don't think it got closed.

A separate religion thread could be beneficial. The LGBT thread seems to be doing okay.

I remember whem I was going to a Jesuit high school that I was trying to find religion in some way. I was angry with Christian schools because of some hypocrites. And jesuit wasnt quite for me either. I don't have a mind for it. But I found I am pretty supertitious about weird stuff..

Long story short I never felt comfortable in religious settings or welcome in any circles where religion was the focus.

Our school library had a wide assortment of books on religion and even some on witchcraft. Which.I'm the not sure was placed there by faculty or not. It was kind of an interesting read but there was a lot of rituals that involved bodily fluids. Yargh.

Default Re: Talk Religion And Be F*king Nice About It

The thread title change is a good one, so I guess I might as well participate.

I've always been fascinated by religion. I remember reading the Torah, Bible, and the Quran as a child without anyone prompting me, and being incredibly interested in knowing who God was. I have memories of annoying my mom about something I read in the Bible, or being shocked that my name was the name of a chapter in the Quran. So it's always been a personal interest for me, even though we were a non-practicing muslim household.

My parents have quite a background in religion since they were both converts to Islam, so perhaps that interest passed on to me. My dad was born and raised Catholic, my mom was born into a practicing Hindu household, but then in high school she decided to convert to Christianity, I think it was Catholicism at the time. She then switched between a few sects of Christianity, and then she was Bahai for a bit, finally she decided on Islam in the end.

My immediate family is the only Muslim family I have, so I was raised to practice great respect for all my extended family's religions. When I was in my late teens I decided to study Islam on a deeper level and I fell in love with it, and I grew to desire to practice more, until today where I would consider myself a practicing muslim. I read a lot of islamic literature and listen to and attend a lot of lectures and such, but I still have a great respect for all followers of faith, and even non-faith of course. I have atheist family, too.

That's about it, I guess.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    It was kind of an interesting read but there was a lot of rituals that involved bodily fluids. Yargh.
    I eat quite a lot of animals (and plants), so the concept of animal sacrifice never really bothered me all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    I think that would be deist. You have belief in a god or higher power but don't subscribe to any particular religion.
    I thought that was agnostic? Am I wrong?

Anyway, I could go into whole spiel about my experiences of my parents shoving Christianity down my throat my whole life and me getting disillusioned with it and many other religions in general and my somewhat unpopular feelings a few others beliefs, but I feel like this quote sums out how I feel without going into it.

I'm treading carefully on this one. Touchy subject.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I eat quite a lot of animals (and plants), so the concept of animal sacrifice never really bothered me all that much.
    Animals is one thing but this was a human's bodily fluids. Like menstral blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Animals is one thing but this was a human's bodily fluids. Like menstral blood.
    I've never heard of human blood being used in modern pagan rituals. Even animal sacrifice seems pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I've never heard of human blood being used in modern pagan rituals. Even animal sacrifice seems pretty rare.
    Well it was a book on witccan and witchcraft in a school library. Not sure how legit it really was overall. There's so many different practices. I just happened upon one book that was particularly graphic. It stuck with me haha.

I'm not sure what to call myself? I believe in the existence of God/some divine being(s) but not necessarily the God in any religion, more like I think that God is something that humans could never really understand. But I can be quite superstitious sometimes and I do believe in some form of life after death.

My dad is a Buddhist and my mum is a Christian. Though I won't call myself a Christian, I do enjoy going to the church (despite heavily disagreeing with certain teachings sometimes). I actually find myself admiring people with unwavering faith towards their religion (in a non-radical way, of course) for some reason. Its like... they have a guide in life? Or devotion towards a teaching and divine being whose existence is not understandable. I find religion beautiful but I can't find myself truly committing towards any of it.

↑Biological Weaopn of Doom and Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by le crystal View Post
    My dad is a Buddhist and my mum is a Christian. Though I won't call myself a Christian, I do enjoy going to the church (despite heavily disagreeing with certain teachings sometimes). I actually find myself admiring people with unwavering faith towards their religion (in a non-radical way, of course) for some reason. Its like... they have a guide in life? Or devotion towards a teaching and divine being whose existence is not understandable. I find religion beautiful but I can't find myself truly committing towards any of it.
    My largest unrequited love was that of a person who was a devout Christian. She was a pillar of her community at age 16. It felt like she was light itself, she just brightened the room wherever she went and all the people in it. If she ever frowned, I'm sure it was deeply private. (She did flirt with me a bit, but I felt unworthy of her, and indeed was). So anyway. What I'm saying is if people extract the good from religion, and gloss over the more unsavory things, they can become really amazing people. You can, of course, become amazing without it. But yeah, it does seem to be a helpful guide. A guide I wish I had often-times. I've just never really followed a religion.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

I am a Christian minority in a pretty secular country. Tracking back my ancestry I believe my ancestors converted to Christianity around 4 generations back. The street where I was brought up and have lived my entire life has a church, a temple and a Mosque all within a 200 meter radius. As a result of my constant interactions with the said religions around me I put myself somewhere between having an agnostic-theist ideology leaning more towards an agnostic.

Talking about "pagan" practices, the max I have seen is a live execution of a goat in my church I believe "pagan" practices are present in all the cultures even if they go by the same religion name. Majority of the religions have sucked in various core local practices into their hold so that the converts have an easier transition towards their new religion. Few might have got corroded over the years but few stick around. Plenty of examples even in our version of Catholicism here
    Last edited by xan; October 23rd, 2016 at 09:22 PM.
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

This thread is fascinating already :D
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information