+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: What Anime Are You Watching?

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: What Anime Are You Watching?

I just watched the entirety of Gurren Lagann over the course of a day. First time watching it.

Spoiler:
    I'm crying my eyes out, why did she have to die, nonononono I wanted a happy ending and they were so cute together and all that effort feels like it was for nothing, life is so unfaiiiiir, they shoud have had kids and grown old together, nooooooooo *loud sobs*
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    I just watched the entirety of Gurren Lagann over the course of a day. First time watching it.

Spoiler:
    I'm crying my eyes out, why did she have to die, nonononono I wanted a happy ending and they were so cute together and all that effort feels like it was for nothing, life is so unfaiiiiir, they shoud have had kids and grown old together, nooooooooo *loud sobs*
    Here you go

Spoiler:

EDIT: I actually prefer Kill la Kill

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    You're the third person to have sent me that picture today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Here you go

EDIT: I actually prefer Kill la Kill
    This is hilarious considering he has Kaminas hair instead of Simons.

I'm pretty sure that Kamina is a ghost as well.

Hidden:

Speaking of mech stuff, I just started Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 for the first time. I've never watched more than a few scattered Gundam episodes of any kind, so this is sort of a new experience to me. I'm only 5 episodes in as of now, and it's already proving to be interesting in a lot of ways.

I love the dynamic between Char and Amuro, one being experienced and intelligent, but at a technological disadvantage, the other being a complete newbie outfitted in the most advanced mobile suit there is. Amuro often gets put at a disadvantage because he doesn't know how to deal with Char's tactics, but Char finds himself unable to account for the full capabilities of the Gundam. It's simple, but enjoyable and interesting. Char is often outmatched, taken off guard, employing dangerous last ditch strategies and running away defeated, but he is still always posing a threat due to his sheer tenacity, wit and skill. Amuro, meanwhile, is forced to grow into his role as Gundam pilot to even stand a chance. Even with superior technology, he gets his ass kicked in every encounter, because he doesn't know what he's doing or how to react in a fight. I love that shit.

Another thing that's interesting is seeing the sorts of things Eva would later deconstruct. I never watched more than the first maybe 10 eps of Eva when I was in middle school (and I want to revisit it after this), but there are a lot of elements ringing bells. There's a lot to pick apart between idea that they're forcing children to fight, the way the main character is the only one capable of piloting their bot, and the way the bots can function independently from the user. MSG's first episode or two emphasized the child soldier thing as a reservation they had, and it's interesting seeing a group of kids growing into their roles in the war they inherited. Amuro is killing his enemies in battle, and has a strong reaction to that at first, but lately it's dulling. Almost like the arc they're telling is the one where Amuro becomes battle-hardened, while Eva explores what if that shit's just too much for a kid to handle.

There's a lot to love about this. 43 eps will be nothing compared to LotGH, though I do plan on going through at least a couple other Gundam series eventually (I have my eyes on Zeta and Wing). I don't plan on doing it all, since that's a huge commitment, and I don't think many Gundam fans even like every part of it? But what do y'all Gundam fans thing? What series/movies can't be missed or are the best?

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Cool. I've been meaning to check out the OG Gundam myself, which I hope to do soon.

Anyway, I'm not a huge Gundam fan or anything, but Zeta Gundam, the series that immediately follows OG, is largely considered a classic (though it was a bit hard for me to follow) and I've just about finished watching Iron Blooded Orphans, which is pretty solid.

Became a little more adulter and a little more responsible and got Netflix, so I'm slowly watching Devilman Crybaby (Can't watch this on the TV with my folks going around the house, don't get the "deal" of this series, it looks cool and seems interesting, but I thought that it was an old series getting a new adaptation, but there are smartphones, and social media reporters and stuff, I'll keep watching) Little Witch academy (seems fun, just at chap 1), and something about some rollerblade armored warriors that fight against a blob/tumor on a hospital, and a girl who was in a car accident and is currently in wheelchair and I don't care about any of it I'll give it a few more episodes.

Oh and I binged Kakeguri last weekend. Good enough.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    I'm slowly watching Devilman Crybaby (Can't watch this on the TV with my folks going around the house, don't get the "deal" of this series, it looks cool and seems interesting, but I thought that it was an old series getting a new adaptation, but there are smartphones, and social media reporters and stuff, I'll keep watching)
    It's just some updating. That sort of stuff isn't uncommon. Hunter x Hunter 2011 did that with some of the tech in the anime, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    It's just some updating. That sort of stuff isn't uncommon. Hunter x Hunter 2011 did that with some of the tech in the anime, for example.
    Did you watch the original? Did the paparatzi have a videocamera and showed that to the "editor"? And all the random googling is filler?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Did you watch the original? Did the paparatzi have a videocamera and showed that to the "editor"? And all the random googling is filler?
    The original Devilman was in 1972, so presumably no.

There are some additions in Crybaby, namely character stuff, but all of the tech updates and things around that are just to keep the story modern and relevant, since the media climate has somehow changed a bit in the last 45+ years. Calling it filler is missing the point.

Been in a harem anime marathon coma for the last two days. Fucking shit is worse than liquor.

Anyone got some good harem comedies to suggest? Already whipped through Shomin (egh), Maijo (yay!) and Infinite Stratos (Decent)

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

After not having watched an anime for 2 years or so, decided to watch Shouwa Genroku since it got so praised in myanimelist

It was a nice and at times poetic story but i was never fully invested in the characters, the constant timeskips and the short time did not make it possible.
    In addition, i think due to teh language barrier, i never got the appeal of Rakugo, so a lot of what the characters described was not accessible for me.

And then there is the suggestion at the ending...

7.5/10

I will watch Fate Extra soon.
    Now I am not watching anything.

Dog does not approve. onemoment's Avatar

This is kind of cheating, but I got sucked into an anime I normally wouldn't follow via youtube recommendations. Juuni Taisen, a death battle anime with characters based on the Chinese zodiac. I saw a clip of the tiger girl getting into a fight with a headless flamethrower man, and I needed to figure out what the heck was going on. Turns out one of the main characters is a Necromanist rabbit-man. It's a weird show.

I can't tell if this show is bad or if I don't get it, and that it holding my interest. As far as I can tell, whatever it's trying to do (I think it's pointless on purpose?) it seems to be succeeding in, so good for it.

Without spoiling, the Rat's special ability made for a fun episode.

Spoiler:
    -The Horse died like a bitch.

-Lol at the Sheep spending one episode planning his battle, only to die to the one person he didn't plan for.

-Watching the Monkey die seems more sad every time I see it.
    Last edited by onemoment; April 6th, 2018 at 04:46 PM.

And I watched the last episode of Violet Evergarden. If the ending was what I think it was then I wouldn't put above B: The Beggining.

Hidden:

Just finished Space Battleship Yamato and holy SHIT does that show just fucking sputter and die at the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

I just watched the Batman Ninja movie and it was entertaining as heck. Ridiculous action, surprisingly great cinematography and a just stunning scene with Batman, Joker & Red Hood.

Eureka 7
    Works well as an episodic outlaws show but so far I'm not really that interested in the stuff that seems to be going on in the background. I hope it doesn't get too intrusive, or it turns out better than I'm expecting. First couple of episodes were also kind of off putting. I'm glad it's gotten better as far as I am in it. I still think surfing robots are silly but I do like the stuff about ley lines and the waves.

Revolutionary Girl Utena
    I read the manga so knew more or less what to expect, but the anime does its own thing to a certain extent and I like what it's doing. I like the art style in the anime and think it generally looks better than the manga, which usually for me doesn't happen. The anime seems to more or less ignores Utena's desire to find her prince though (at least as of episode 6) while it was a big part of the manga. I like the soundtrack too.

Am I the only one watching Gegege no Kitaro?

It's being a surprise for me, it has had very emotional moments, and now a lot of thriller. Toei is animating it, but it is good for me.

I'm starting to become interested in "Youkais", I've watched Inuyasha and other animes about it, but this has something special about it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information